Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

Gilmore Girls v.2

Old November 8th, 2008, 5:16 pm
Qvack...

Re: Gilmore Girls v.2

I know!!! !!

She was always my favourite character though, right from that first Sunday evening I sat down with daddy dear to watch the first episode. We never, ever grew out of it! It just never got old, because it was so intelligent no matter how often or how rarely you watched it. it never came to the "soap opera" level of drama- it was just lovely to look at in every way.

THE DUCK.

Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2008, 1:39 am
Curse Breaker

I always liked Rory, but my favorite characters were Lorelai Victoria Gilmore and Luke Daines. I'm still a big fan of the show, a season and a half after its cancellation. I hope that I continue to love it.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old March 10th, 2009, 9:39 pm
First Year

Sorry for the massive bumping - just coming to say that I absolutely adore Gilmore Girls. It's so witty and smart and real and... okay, I'm rambling. My favorite character is definitely Emily.

Old March 10th, 2009, 9:44 pm
Curse Breaker

I love the way she's portrayed, but...for the most part, Emily scares and repulses me. I know she means well. I know she loves her daughter and granddaughter, but she's just so conniving about it. It's the maternal equivalent of what the great Emerson Cod calls "gangsta love."

Old March 10th, 2009, 9:49 pm
First Year

I think Emily's mostly my favorite character because of Kelly Bishop and the quick lines she's given. Aside from her, Lorelai and Michel. And oddly enough, Paris.

Old March 10th, 2009, 10:14 pm
Curse Breaker

Kelly Bishop is truly awe-inspiring. She makes that character sing. Michel is a great snob. My favorite characters are probably Lorelai, Luke, Rory, and Paris.

Last edited by jordmundt6; March 14th, 2009 at 3:24 pm.
Old March 14th, 2009, 9:42 am
Fifth Year

I miss this show,,,hated the last episode kinda...

Old March 14th, 2009, 3:23 pm
Curse Breaker

You hated it because...why exactly? Too much open? Not enough interpersonal stuff resolved? Bad character arcs? Why? I thought it was pretty much fine as an episode and a season finale, but that it left much to be desired as a series finale. I've posted on here and on the predecessor thread now lost to us, that I would have dearly loved to see the ketchup bottle wedding and the Leopold and Loeb pregnancy.

Old March 14th, 2009, 10:44 pm
Fifth Year

Rory...manly, they ruined that part, they had her go off and do this thing [cannot remember what exactly], but they made her stay single, I think her and Logan should have stayed together, or got back together..that whole part bothered me. The way Rory's character was written sometimes made me mad, they had her become a journalist, which she would NEVER do, why? because she isn't mean or nosy. Her role model was someone who'd never be her role model, she was way to smart for that (a certain former presidents wife), it seemed like too much people were writing her character or something...

I think in the most part, they got ever character right(most of the time), but they made the biggest mistakes with Rory's...things they had her choose sometimes, I remember hating Logan at first and wanting her with Dean, then I decided Deans a jealous moron. But other then that, she is the one character that they kinda ruined in the end. sure they had Loralie's[sp?? ] character a little iffy sometimes, but it was not nearly as messed up in the end.

I think they try writing Rory's character with to much of what they think, like they do not go...well this is her personality, what would she do?? you know what I mean??

Old March 15th, 2009, 6:12 am
Seventh Year

It's been a while since I've seen the last season of Gilmore Girls, this was not one of my favorite seasons, enjoyable at times, but not my favorite. And are you referring to Hillary Clinton being her idol? I don't really remember that too much, I think she respected Hillary Clinton. If I remember correctly the show leaned quite a bit towards the Democratic party. But Rory's idol was CNN journalist Christiane Amanpour, whom was mentioned in the pilot episode and also cameod in the final episode. I thought that was awesome by the way.

And why do you think she wouldn't become a journalist? Her entire education was focused around journalism...

I had mixed feelings on Logan, but I think the show was right on, having Rory turn down his proposal. To me she wasn't ready. There was more she wanted to do. She wanted to get out there and build her career, do something with the education she acheived. And marrying Logan to her, was holding her back a bit. She wasn't ready. That is not to say, that later down the road their romance couldn't be sparked back up.

Old March 15th, 2009, 11:36 am
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookshanks1177 View Post
I had mixed feelings on Logan, but I think the show was right on, having Rory turn down his proposal. To me she wasn't ready. There was more she wanted to do. She wanted to get out there and build her career, do something with the education she acheived. And marrying Logan to her, was holding her back a bit. She wasn't ready. That is not to say, that later down the road their romance couldn't be sparked back up.
But in my opinion, neither was he. The entire marriage scenario was totally out of character for Logan. For several seasons we've seen that he knew how Rory ticked. He talked about Rory making lists to weigh the pros and cons quite often. And then he put a gun to her chest and expected her to accept a marriage proposal on the spot? This was a crude way to break them up and I don't really see why it was necessary.

Old March 15th, 2009, 5:32 pm
Curse Breaker

He didn't think it would come to the "gun to the chest" scenario--he honestly thought that a marriage and a life on the West Coast supporting him would and could stand in for the Times job she didn't get. That's something of a Chris moment--and not in sync with Logan's best moments on the show, but of a piece with his upbringing (and, for me, totally in character for him). He hadn't escaped his upbringing yet. He was working on it, but he wasn't there. Also, Rory didn't see him as "the one" yet (maybe she wouldn't). But the fact that she didn't regard him in a similar way to the way that Emily regarded Richard, Sookie regarded Jackson, Paris regarded Doyle and, last but certainly most, the way that Lorelai regards Luke--indicates this wasn't a match yet. Neither of them were ready.

As for political leanings--Richard displayed intelligent conservatism, but the Lorelais both tended toward the left. In high school, Rory's idols were Christiane Amanpour and Hillary Clinton.

Last edited by jordmundt6; January 19th, 2016 at 6:26 am.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 3:35 pm
Curse Breaker

Okay, I just found out that SoapNet has picked up Gilmore Girls reruns and I'm pleased they took such quality programming but I'm furious that someone somewhere thinks Gilmore Girls is a soap opera. Anyone else have a reaction to this news?

Old April 4th, 2009, 7:09 am
MODLY CREW

I would never call it a soap opera but I can't get upset about it. It definitely has soap elements and if these elements get the show a rerun, so be it.

Old April 4th, 2009, 12:58 pm
Curse Breaker

I generally see soap elements as overwrought relationships, ridiculously extended days, sloppy writing, sloppy camera work, and amateurish acting. What are the actual elements? Clearly, I'm an uninformed snob. What are the actual elements?

Old May 13th, 2009, 5:45 am
First Year

Hi everyone. I am definitely not going to read through the whole thread, although maybe someday I will if I'm really bored I may go back through it But I just wanted to say that a) I am new and b) I love Gilmore Girls!

I own the entire series on DVD and recently my mum and I finished watching it, but in the future I know I'll definitely be watching it again

I love Lorelai and Luke - my mum and I are both big fans of Luke in particular! Hehe. But I think that what kept me engaged in the show was just the utter quirkiness of it - ahhh, small towns!

Old May 13th, 2009, 3:48 pm
Curse Breaker

The quirkiness, the heart, and the sharp wit are key attractors. The Luke/Lorelai relationship is a stabilizing force. It's truly a wonderful show.

Old July 25th, 2009, 11:34 am
First Year

I like the earlier season better. I love Jess! He was meant to be with Rory forever and ever!
I don't like Dean or Logan.
But
I LOVE KIRK!!! You've gotta love Kirk! Kirk is a Stars Hollow Legend

Old April 11th, 2010, 1:57 am
Second Year

The first seasons are sooo much better than the later ones! And I hate, hate, HATE, Logan. yuck.
she should have dated Marty in the college episodes. He's so much better.

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."

POTTERMORE SORTED
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:31 pm
Curse Breaker

Well, until they crashed his character on purpose because they were worried about--exactly your (and my) reaction.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television