Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

The new Doctor Who v.5 (spoilers for season 8)

Old November 26th, 2013, 5:17 am
Seventh Year

Re: The new Doctor Who v.5 (spoilers in abundance also for season 7)

Spoiler: show
I went to see it tonight (technically last night here now), and it's a blast. David Tennant and Matt Smith together, why wouldn't it be? It really did kick in when they were brought together, too, and their banter provided the most entertaining moments for me. I also appreciated that Moffat wasn't going for the largest, greatest scale of any Who story yet, because you can only threaten to destroy time and reality so many times.

Now, here are my issues:

-I have to say I was disappointed that Billie Piper wasn't actually back as Rose. I don't know that Moffat hates Rose, I've never heard him say that, but I'd believe it. It was nice seeing Billie again, anyway.

-I feel like - and maybe I'm alone here - it would have been more effective, more satisfying, to have Paul McGann as the "War Doctor" instead of John Hurt. John Hurt's a fine actor, I was good with the way that Doctor was portrayed, but I can't help but feel like it would have been better in a number of ways to bring back McGann and actually give his Doctor some depth, rather than adding John Hurt to the pantheon.

Here's something I noticed, and I wonder if others did: When John Hurt's Doctor meets thte other two, he asks, hilariously, if he's having a midlife crisis (he's looking at Smith, right?). I took that as not just a funny line, but as Moffat confidently saying, "We are nowhere near done yet - forget the 12 regenerations, this is middle age, not old age." Later, when every Doctor to date is saving Gallifrey, they're referred to as "all 13." So, are we throwing away the '12 regenerations' thing or not? I mean, I'm sure that has been tossed aside, the show will continue until it's no longer profitable, but that "all" threw me.

Finally, the Tom Baker cameo was a delightful surprise.

It's not perfect, it's not one of my favorite modern Who stories, but it's a very good time, it's moving, and it rewrites the end of the Time War without playing like an aggravating cheat. Say, this is a really good show.

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; November 26th, 2013 at 7:51 am.
Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2013, 8:24 am
She Who Walks Behind

It was a real treat. I loved the interaction between the War Doctor and the other two. The War Doctor being slighty ashamed of what he becomes and Ten and Eleven being ashamed of what they were. I enjoyed the little references to early episodes. Especially the thing that goes ding when there's stuff and the timey wimey bits cracked me up.

Things I ponder about:
Why was there no mentioning of Capaldi as the Doctor in the credits?
What was the outcome of the discussion in the black archive?

There must be more than 12 regenerations. Howelse can we watch the 100th anniversary with all 75 Doctors?

The End of the Dream.
Old November 26th, 2013, 9:41 am
Embroidered by imaginatio

I loved it too. Matt Smith and David Tennant were awesome together and I am glad Rose was used as she was.

Also loved the rabbit bit, but that's because the rabbit is exactly like mine. *needs to find a gif of the rabbit*

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old November 26th, 2013, 6:45 pm
Seventh Year

I've read now that, according to Moffat, there are still 12 regenerations...and they've all been used already! He's not only counting John Hurt's "War Doctor," but David Tennant's half-regeneration in "Journey's End," making Matt Smith the 13th Doctor. It seems obvious to me that that half-regeneration shouldn't count, but more annoyingly, this means that Moffat's need to follow a very old rule that hasn't been acknowledged in the modern era will soon lead to major cheating, because doesn't it have to? How can Peter Capaldi come on as the next Doctor if said Doctor has used up all his lives?

Old November 26th, 2013, 10:18 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops View Post
How can Peter Capaldi come on as the next Doctor if said Doctor has used up all his lives?
They can just say that the events of Day of the Doctor with all incarnations on hand in one place caused a disruption in the space time continuum which broke the limit on the Doctor's ability to regenerate.

Timey-wimey stuff.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old November 27th, 2013, 12:56 am
The Dark Lord's Faithful Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
Also loved the rabbit bit, but that's because the rabbit is exactly like mine. *needs to find a gif of the rabbit*
In the group I was watching with, practically everyone in the room was having Monty Python and the Holy Grail flashbacks

Quote:
How can Peter Capaldi come on as the next Doctor if said Doctor has used up all his lives?
River Song did give Matt Smith's Doctor all of her remaining regenerations in "Let's Kill Hitler", and she'd only regenerated twice by that point. They might use that as an excuse. Or it could be due to something that happens in the Christmas special... Or something to do with that potion the Sisterhood of Karn gave to McGann's Doctor in the minisode...

Last edited by Pox Voldius; November 27th, 2013 at 1:09 am.
Old November 28th, 2013, 2:36 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops
If memory serves, the Master found ways to regenerate past his 11th regeneration as well. I believe it was mentioned in a quite old episode (not in the renewed era of Doctor Who) when the Master reappeared nonetheless ("that's impossible!"...etc.).

....I miss David Tennant....
Old November 28th, 2013, 3:34 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
If memory serves, the Master found ways to regenerate past his 11th regeneration as well. I believe it was mentioned in a quite old episode (not in the renewed era of Doctor Who) when the Master reappeared nonetheless ("that's impossible!"...etc.).
I forget which episode that's in, but yeah, I do recall that.

I love that there have been a bunch of people giving different answers to that question. I wasn't even asking out of frustration, although I might be frustrated when the show brings up the old "12 regenerations" rule just to cheat out of it or break it. Any annoyance will probably be brushed aside because, hey, we all want the show to keep going, because it's really good right now.

Old November 28th, 2013, 9:26 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
-I have to say I was disappointed that Billie Piper wasn't actually back as Rose. I don't know that Moffat hates Rose, I've never heard him say that, but I'd believe it. It was nice seeing Billie again, anyway.
I would say that this indicates the opposite. He could have cast absolutely anybody to play the Moment. Of all those anybody's, he cast Billie Piper to play something emulating Rose.

I do wonder if he would have had Billie Piper play Rose if Chris Eccleston had opted to return, and then cast someone else (say, Carol Anne Ford, who played the Doctor's whiney granddaughter 50 years ago) to play The Moment. Liz Sladen would have been an awesome choice: alas, she died a couple of years ago. Karen Gillan would have been good, too, but she did just leave. And, of course, Alex Kingston would have made another great option. The actresses who played Leela, Romana II, Jo Grant, Zoe or Victoria all might have worked, too. (Mel would have been great IF the Doctor had kicked the machine and had the image turn into a non-loathsome companion 2 seconds later.

Yet, among all of those choices, he had the Moment emulate Rose.

On a side note, Piper was really good, too. Her final line "Like that's gonna happen" was among the funnier ones. Tennant, as well, captured a lot of emotion in one expression and statement upon hearing the Hurt Doctor mention the Bad Wolf girl.
Quote:
-I feel like - and maybe I'm alone here - it would have been more effective, more satisfying, to have Paul McGann as the "War Doctor" instead of John Hurt. John Hurt's a fine actor, I was good with the way that Doctor was portrayed, but I can't help but feel like it would have been better in a number of ways to bring back McGann and actually give his Doctor some depth, rather than adding John Hurt to the pantheon.
The problem with that is that some people remember that Paul McGann played the Doctor briefly in the mid-1990's. That would have taken away the mystery of exactly who this person was.

Also, some people might remember that McGann has appeared in flashbacks when the Doctor recalls his former selves. Moffat needed an Incarnation that he was so completely denying that there was effectively a block around the memory.

Quote:
Finally, the Tom Baker cameo was a delightful surprise.
Yes, that was. Of course, it's open: is he playing the Doctor from yet another time line where he didn't regenerate under the radio tower? That was the premise for an idea to reboot the show on the 30th anniversary. Baker was interested in reprising his role, and the BBC was interested in bringing back Doctor Who if they could find a way to do it affordably and to make it good again.

What was going to happen is that the show was going to effectively erase the 1980's: an enemy (I think the Ice Warriors in the original scripts, but it almost certainly would have become the Daleks in the end) start killing off the Doctor's going back in time, starting with #7. They kill #7, #6 and #5, but their attempt to kill #4 does not quite work; he survives, follows them, and saves #3. Pertwee and Baker (by far the two most popular Doctors) then united to defeat the enemy, and also establish a time line in which the 4th incarnation survives Logopolis. The idea was to either have Baker regenerate into a new #5 Doctor at the end, or to play the role again for a couple of years and then regenerate into a new #5.

Of course, once Davison, Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy realized that they were being deleted from Doctor Who history, they became decidedly less interested in participating! Other issues arose (like financial backing), and the horrific Dimensions in Time wound up being made instead. *Shiver*

But that does open the possibility that The Curator is, in fact, an alternate time-line Doctor who survived all of those years having regenerated only 3 times.

Quote:
I've read now that, according to Moffat, there are still 12 regenerations...and they've all been used already!
The big problem that I have with this is that the last time the show mentioned this was 25 years ago. Most of the people watching the show these days have never seen the 12 regeneration rule mentioned. (The "classic" series seems to not be very popular among "NuWho fans, likely owing to the poor production standards, the lack of any character development and the lack of any arcs connecting the stories.)

At this point, bringing up the 12 regeneration limit as some rule would be like another series building to a wedding and then having the Bride slap her forehead in front of the officiator and say: "Crike! I totally forgot that I never got divorced from my ex-husband! Wait, did I ever mention to you that I was married before? No? Whoops, sorry about that…"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pox Voldius View Post
River Song did give Matt Smith's Doctor all of her remaining regenerations in "Let's Kill Hitler", and she'd only regenerated twice by that point. They might use that as an excuse. Or it could be due to something that happens in the Christmas special... Or something to do with that potion the Sisterhood of Karn gave to McGann's Doctor in the minisode...
It was implied at the time that River did that because it took all of her regeneration energy to keep the Smith Doctor alive at that time. Of course, they could always use the out that she did that because it was all or nothing, and that the Doctor therefore got some spare energy.

Then River can mention that she's already married to Jack Harkness…

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
Not quite. One of the few "Classic" Doctor Who's that has stood the test of time is The Deadly Assassin, in which the Master has been reduced to a lich-like thing with a destroyed body, but (gasp!) no ability to regenerate. This was a Tom Baker story that happened 4 or 5 years after the Master had last appeared. (The original actor, Roger Delgado, died in an accident shortly before they were supposed to start filming the Doctor vs. Master final death-off, in which the Master would be revealed to be the Doctor's brother and actually die saving him in the end; this was before they made regeneration a Time Lord trait, too!)

This was when the 12-regeneration limit was first introduced, basically on the whim of the writer who need a plot device requiring the Master to need more regenerations somehow. (The last Jon Pertwee story established that regeneration was, in fact, a Time Lord trait.) There was no other way to get around the 12-regeneration limit in that story: and even the idea of stealing regenerations was in the theoretical turf!

What the Master later did was steal someone else's body. The father of Nyssa, who was companion to Tom Baker and then Peter Davison, was the unlucky person who got possessed by the Master, and the Master supposedly was using the residual energy he'd gotten from usurping the Keepership of Trakken (Nyssa's home world, subsequently destroyed in the next story!) This was recognized at the time, too: an important plot point in the next story (Logopolis) was Nyssa thinking that the Master was her father (which he sort of was) and the Doctor realizing that he really was the Master. The only other time it got mentioned in any way was in the Five Doctors, when the Pertwee Doctor asked the Ainley Master if he'd regenerated again, and the Ainley Master replying "not exactly" or something to that effect.

The Master later stole a body again, after setting it up so that he was reduced to some sort of wormy thing by the Daleks, he could possess someone. Again, he needed to steal the Doctor's remaining regenerations. (I'm not sure if the 12 limit was mentioned then or not.)

However, in both cases, the Master was not able to regenerate: he just stole a body to use until he could figure out some way to get more regenerations. It seems that when the Time Lords recalled the Master from the dead, he then got new regenerations.

Quote:
I wasn't even asking out of frustration, although I might be frustrated when the show brings up the old "12 regenerations" rule just to cheat out of it or break it. Any annoyance will probably be brushed aside because, hey, we all want the show to keep going, because it's really good right now.
Yeah, there was never any question but that the show would find some way around that when the time came. When Michael Grade instituted the "Three Year Rule" for actors playing the Doctor in 1986, a lot of fans screamed "but the show can last only 21 more years!" Others responded: a) if the show is going strong in 2007, then they'll find a way to keep it going in 2008 and beyond, and b) at the rate the show was declining in popularity and quality, Doctor Who wasn't going to make it to 1990, never mind 2007.

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there. - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!

Last edited by Wimsey; November 28th, 2013 at 9:42 pm.
Old December 5th, 2013, 11:24 pm
Squee-worthy

I know this has already been discussed but it's very interesting that Matt Smith now represents the final regeneration of the Doctor and I'm very curiou to see how Moffat brings in Capaldi now.

The fact that Matt Smith is the last doctor makes a lot of sense as to why Eleven (what else do I call him) was afraid of dying and also why Trenzalore is his grave. It doesn't really make sense though how he started regenerating after the impossible astronaut shot him. But I guess at that point they didn't have The War Doctor planned.

Old December 6th, 2013, 2:27 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Godric View Post
I know this has already been discussed but it's very interesting that Matt Smith now represents the final regeneration of the Doctor and I'm very curiou to see how Moffat brings in Capaldi now.

The fact that Matt Smith is the last doctor makes a lot of sense as to why Eleven (what else do I call him) was afraid of dying and also why Trenzalore is his grave. It doesn't really make sense though how he started regenerating after the impossible astronaut shot him. But I guess at that point they didn't have The War Doctor planned.
But wasn't that a machine, not really the Doctor, that the impossible astronaut shot?

Old December 6th, 2013, 2:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
But wasn't that a machine, not really the Doctor, that the impossible astronaut shot?
Yeah, the Doctor was safely inside the Teselecta, which he had set to look like him.

Old December 12th, 2013, 2:02 am

Trailer for 'The Time of the Doctor' Christmas special:

Old December 15th, 2013, 2:57 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Barty Crouch jr. aka Dr. Who aka David Tennant is going to be filming a TV show in my home town this year.

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted

Last edited by twinsrule26; December 15th, 2013 at 3:06 am.
Old December 15th, 2013, 7:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsrule26 View Post
Barty Crouch jr. aka Dr. Who aka David Tennant is going to be filming a TV show in my home town this year.
Would that be the American remake of Broadchurch?
http://tennantnews.blogspot.com/2013...-location.html

Old December 15th, 2013, 8:58 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

I like this very much.

https://twitter.com/ryanfarrr/status...723840/photo/1

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old December 16th, 2013, 1:04 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pox Voldius View Post
Would that be the American remake of Broadchurch?
http://tennantnews.blogspot.com/2013...-location.html
Yes it is

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old December 23rd, 2013, 9:08 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Godric View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
In addition to that, there might simply have been no plan yet to address the old regeneration limit. It has not been mentioned on the new show: and if it comes up on XMas, then this will be the first that most viewers will know about it.

I do wonder how audiences will react if this does become a key plot point. It will seem very arbitrary, after all: it really should have come up before now, and it will strike a lot of people as very contrived.

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there. - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old December 26th, 2013, 10:36 pm
Curse Breaker

Well, I had very mixed feelings and opinions about Time of the Doctor. It felt more like a plot synopsis than a story: one could easily guess that Moffat intended to do this over multiple episodes (say, half a season), but was unable to do so due to Smith's departure.

The answer to Doctor Who was much as I guessed: again, the Doctor is asked for his name, but the Doctor answers nonverbally by showing who the Doctor is. And, as I suspected, it turns out to be his salvation.

The 12 regeneration limit did feel abrupt, even for an old-school Whovian like me. Again, had this been done over half a season, then the limits could have been introduced, and the fact that the Smith Doctor was at the end could have been worked out. After all, it was not 100% clear that Tennant's partial regeneration was an actual regeneration.

(Fortunately, there was no trace of the Valyard: hoorah!)

That written, as a plot synopsis, it was great, and it tied up all of the open questions raised by the show. (It did not tie up all of the questions asked by the fans, but, just as in Harry Potter, fans ask a ton of questions that the story never raises.)

And, in the end, the Smith Doctor really did answer "Doctor Who?" as emphatically as possible while still doing it tacitly. It is not clear what went different this time: we've seen one future in which the Doctor dies at Trenzalore, and obviously something changed this time. Again, my guess is that if the first half had been done over multiple episodes, then this could have been fleshed out to a much greater degree.

And, in the end, Smith's departure was incredibly poignant. I really liked that, in the end, he was the Smith Doctor. And although I wish that River and Rory had been there too, Amy's good bye was perfect.

Old December 27th, 2013, 9:58 am
Embroidered by imaginatio

I liked the ending best as well.

I understand now (sort of) what the Silence's role was but it felt like a let down to me.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television