Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab

On Linguistics

Old March 5th, 2008, 5:22 pm
First Year

On Linguistics

I apologize if this is not an appropriate topic for the Language Lab, but I think if anything relates to language, it's the study of language.

I have a question:

What do you think are the most interesting aspects of linguistics/language to study?

Many of us, particularly those in this subforum, love learning languages, but what I'm interested is learning about language. I'm about to apply to graduate school, and I am really leaning toward linguistics, but I know very little about it. So if there's anyone out there that has studied linguistics or is knowledgeable in the subject, please share your expertise!

So far I am interested in etymology, or the origin of words, and paleo-linguistics, or the study of extinct languages/languages of extinct cultures. I also would like to study socio/psycho-linguistics.

On that note, anyone who has actually studied an extinct language please respond too!

Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2008, 9:34 pm
do you want fries with that?

Re: On Linguistics

I'm also very interested in Linguistics. I was planning on studying the field at Georgetown, but due to financial reasons, I couldnt. And my current University has a terrible language department. But I think it is most likely the field I will pursue with my graduate studies.

I'm most interested in the diachronic field of linguistics (or how linguisitcs has changed over time) so such things as etymology and paleo-linguisitcs are interesting to me. Also anthropological linguisitcs (or how culture and language relate) is very interesting to me.

The Next Mesut zil

(Although we must ignore the jersey)
Old March 5th, 2008, 10:31 pm
Third Year

I took a linguistics course in uni, it covered the very basics of linguistics. I also did some paleolinguistics in archaeology and found the spread of language families to be very interesting. If you are interested in extinct languages sometimes archaeology departments are very good places to go.

GOFLAMESGO!!!
Old March 5th, 2008, 10:52 pm
First Year

Read the book "The Stuff of Thought" by stephen pinker amazing book on linguistics, very funny as well. Its a interesting topic if i had the ability to take more classes i would look into linguistics

Old March 7th, 2008, 12:08 am
First Year

I studied French, and my specialization (at least, that's what we call it in the Netherlands, I don't know how you call it) was sociolinguistics. I liked it very much. I wrote my end paper about Dutch loanwords in French, and their change of meaning. (for those who are interested: http://www.ethesis.net/influ_ned/influ_ned_inhoud.htm. I have to warn you, it is written in French).
I am most interested in sociolinguistics (logically), and I like etymology. I don't like the "technical" linguistics that much. I hated it when I had to create "treestructures" (don't know if it is the right word) when studying Chomsky...
But if you have any questions, fire away!

"Now, let it be war upon you both!"
Old March 7th, 2008, 1:06 am
First Year

Wow thanks so much for the input, guys! I do have one question, and my academic adviser didn't seem to know the answer either - what kind of jobs related to International Relations could a person with a linguistics degree get? I mean, is there any area in the government, UN or NGO's that makes use of linguists? (besides interpreters...)

Also, is anyone knowledgeable on graduate programs for linguistics? I'm trying to find a list of the best schools in that program but I can't find anything.

Old March 7th, 2008, 1:50 am
do you want fries with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietherapy View Post
Wow thanks so much for the input, guys! I do have one question, and my academic adviser didn't seem to know the answer either - what kind of jobs related to International Relations could a person with a linguistics degree get? I mean, is there any area in the government, UN or NGO's that makes use of linguists? (besides interpreters...)

Also, is anyone knowledgeable on graduate programs for linguistics? I'm trying to find a list of the best schools in that program but I can't find anything.
I dont know about the first question really. I know I'm majoring and minoring in several languages because I do want to be a translator for some government agency. Outside of that I dont really know what types of careers you could get into.

And I know Georgetown has one of the best linguisitcs programs in the country. That's where I plan on studying. UCLA, Northwestern, and MIT also have some linguistics programs, though I havent researched them and dont know how good they are.

The Next Mesut zil

(Although we must ignore the jersey)
Old March 7th, 2008, 2:27 am
First Year

Quote:

georgetown is amazing on linguistic, with multiple languages you could try CIA but i would think that its more of a graduate school psych+linguistic PhD path you know research and the likes.

Old March 7th, 2008, 9:42 am
First Year

Quote:

Well, your first question, that's a bit of a problem... It's not easy to get a job with a linguistics degree. The only things I know about is translation/interpretors... I had a change of career , just because it's very difficult to find a job with linguistics. I'm working in a library, but I hope to get a job in a library of a university, and be able to combine it with linguistics (working in the linguistics part of the library...)

I don't know about the second question because I don't know anything about education in the USA

"Now, let it be war upon you both!"
Old March 7th, 2008, 5:55 pm
First Year

Well I was planning on working on an International studies degree at the same time, and Georgetown is great for that too, so I might just do both if I can get in there. That way I can get a job, and study what I like. I'm not surprised there is little by the way of job opportunity.. but that's okay. I think linguists will come to be used increasingly as governments realize the importance of understanding foreign languages. Already the qualification for foreign language experience went from "beneficial" to "required" for potential foreign service officers (which is what I want to be). And thats just in the past couple of years.

Old May 14th, 2008, 7:36 pm
Zonko's Employee

I'm going into English Language, which is the study of linguistics on strictly an English level (though a foreign language is required, so I'm learning French). An editing minor is an arm of the major (which is actually my goal), so I'm combining the two. From the little bit of research I've done into job opportunities, there are some really exciting opportunities in the actual linguistics field, working for the U.N., etc. It seems to me that the pool of linguists is probably small enough that you just need to know where to look for the job you want.

Last edited by Pegasus; May 17th, 2008 at 3:47 am.
Old May 16th, 2008, 9:19 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by insenergy View Post
Read the book "The Stuff of Thought" by stephen pinker amazing book on linguistics, very funny as well. Its a interesting topic if i had the ability to take more classes i would look into linguistics

I have 'The Language Instinct' by Stephen Pinker. I haven't read it much yet, but so far it is very interesting. It has talked about how language is an instinct and how we have evolved to speak
I'm studying French and Spanish at A-Level, and would like to carry them on at Uni. And if I get the chance I will do a linguistics module for part of my course. I'm not sure which area I'm most interested in yet... I haven't looked into it much!

Dumbledore's man through and through
Old July 22nd, 2008, 1:40 am
First Year

There is always the option of studying linguistics within a particular language. I'm a double major in linguistics and Scandinavian studies, so a lot of them overlap. I can speak for Wisconsin (UW) saying that they have some great programs here, and that many people within the various language departments are linguists (there are numerous linguists within most depts, let alone the actual Ling department) and very active in their field. I know that there are quite a few venerable programs out there, particularly within departments (Texas' German (studies) department, Wisconsin has a great (and first in the States) Scandinavian Department, UCLA is very good from what I hear, MIT has Chomsky so I'm sure that they are fantastic (quite a reputation)).

Like most of you, I'm pretty into etymologies, and being able to quickly recognize related forms (cognates) is very helpful when reading related but "foreign" languages (i.e. within a language family). The only dead language I've studied is Gothic, but because I've taken 2 sems of German, Spanish, and am going into my 3rd of Norwegian, reading "Germanic" gradually becomes easier; and I'm sure the same holds true for all other language families (Romance, Slavic, ...). Linguistics is a very interesting and highly theoretical field (especially syntax!)

Old July 26th, 2008, 3:28 am
First Year

I am really looking forward to learning about linguistics next year in my school! Actually, I am pretty disappointed that I can't take it now and have to wait... and it is just for one year, but one can learn a lot in one year. I am actually studying languages in one of the oldest schools in Europe, founded 1056. It is small and we are only about 6 or something who will be studying classical languages next year, but still, interesting.

But I don't know what I will do when I have to choose what to learn in university... linguistics, french, russian, classical languages. It is hard because I really don't know what I can work with (beside teaching which I really am not interested in). I really think that people in general don't value knowledge in languages as much as in math or science... *andvarp*

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory." -Albus Dumbledore

Old August 11th, 2008, 5:01 pm
Second Year

Linguistics is fascinating to me because it all boils down to people agreeing that certain sounds represent certain objects or ideas.
But when I look at the history of how languages developed, I always start with the assumption that some sounds are easier than others so my theory is that the easiest sounds became the first words.
For instance, an M sound is easier to make than say a Z sound. So in the timeline of words, words with M's came before words with Z's.
Also, I think looking at babies making sounds is also a good way to look at the history of language. But what I'd like to find out is, is there a difference within cultures of the first sounds that babies make?
In the U.S., they are usually M, B, D, and P.

Old August 11th, 2008, 5:07 pm
Winning Teamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Also, I think looking at babies making sounds is also a good way to look at the history of language. But what I'd like to find out is, is there a difference within cultures of the first sounds that babies make?
In the U.S., they are usually M, B, D, and P.
I've heard that in almost all the world's languages, the word for "mother" starts with M. Anyone know why that is? That's one of the first sounds I've heard babies make, but I don't know if that has to do with it.

They're changing guard at Buckingham Palace -
Christopher Robin went down with Alice.
We looked for the King but he never came.
"Well, God take care of him, all the same,"
Says Alice.

Old August 11th, 2008, 5:17 pm
Second Year

Really? That's cool! That would be interesting to find out. That makes me wonder what the words are for father in every language and see if that's also similar.

Old August 11th, 2008, 6:13 pm
The Dark Lord's Faithful Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeLuna View Post
I've heard that in almost all the world's languages, the word for "mother" starts with M. Anyone know why that is? That's one of the first sounds I've heard babies make, but I don't know if that has to do with it.
The exception is Georgian, where "mama" = father, and "deda" = mother.

And it does indeed have to do with the first sounds that babies make, IIRC from class.

Old August 11th, 2008, 7:18 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeLuna View Post
I thought babies said dad/dada/daddy before mam/mum/mom/mummy etc?

The word is mathair in Irish, mother in English, Mutter in German, madre in Spanish, mre in French. Just messing around with google language tools I've gotten майка (Bulgarian), majka (Croatian), matka (Czech and Polish), мать (Russian), mor (Danish and Norwegian), moeder (Dutch), moder (Swedish), madre (Italian), me (Portuguese), mamă (Romanian) (but iti in Finish). The words don't just start with the same sound, many of them are similar. That's because they came from the same proto-indoeuropean word which I don't know because I threw out my notes on the topic when moving back home for the summer. But yeah so as far as I know they are similar because they started out as the same word but transformed differently as people migrated and became isolated.

Last edited by TheInvisibleF; August 11th, 2008 at 7:23 pm.
Old August 11th, 2008, 7:19 pm
Second Year

Now that's interesting. The same exact words but opposite meanings. (for Georgian)
I looked up father in several languages and all seem to have the D, P, or B in common.
papa
dada
baba

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > The Language Lab