Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Harry, A History

Old November 4th, 2008, 3:46 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Harry, A History

Okay, I assume this just came out recently. I saw it at the bookstore on Saturday when I went to pickup "Eldest." Then I seen it on Mugglenet yesterday. I was wondering whether anyone had read "Harry, A History" or if you know anything about it? Do you think it might be worth the read?

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Sponsored Links
Old November 5th, 2008, 8:54 pm
Second Year

Re: Harry, A History

This is the first I have heard of it. Hmmm interesting.
Sorry I don't have info for you.

Old November 6th, 2008, 2:30 pm
Second Year

I googled it, at they have it in a few internet sites. But I can never be bothered to read unofficial things. I just dont see the point. Is that allowed? due to copyright and things like that?

Twitter @potterlalashley // @lalalaley4ev
Old November 6th, 2008, 2:55 pm
Pernicious Blood Traitor

Harry, A History is an insider's perspective of the Harry Potter fandomium, written by TLC's Melissa Anelli.

In this book, she describes interviews that she's had and friendships made. She talks about interviews that she'd had with reps of Scholastic, with WB, with JK Rowling, with Harry and the Potters, with the infamous Laura Mallory.

There's a snippet of email from Lindsey Benge, a Columbine survivor, who's a Harry Potter fan, and how she was so upset with Mallory's use of a quote written by Darrell Scott, who'd lost his daughter Rachel Scott at Columbine. She said "It is not her opinion that Harry Potter is evil that grates me so, it is the completely insane accusation that Harry Potter and similar material is the cause of school shootings. As a survivor of the 1999 shootings at Columbine High School I feel that I should know a little bit about this topic." Then it goes on with a quietly moving memories of her lost friend at Columbine.

The book is a good read and really well written.
Quote:
Is that allowed? due to copyright and things like that?
This book is definitely allowed. It's not an unofficial HP book such as the one that was challenged this past year, it's not an interpretative literary work either, it's a peek inside fandom from one fan's perspective: How she found Harry, how she became a part of the online fandom, how she went to HP readings and WROCK concerts and got into Harry and the Potters. An explanation of the HP Alliance, peeks into interviews that were given, stuff like that.

What matters is not the length of the wand, but the magic in the stick.

"So that doesn't clear anything up but it elucidates what I believe. But I don't think it's necessarily going to convince people who have a strong feeling, one way or the other, on the matter. You know what, that's been the case with most of "Harry Potter". I gave my explanation and it just fuels more debate." ~ JK Rowling

'Here he took out the stone that had the power to recall the dead, and turned it thrice in his hand.' ~ Thrice...go Team CoCo.
Old November 6th, 2008, 5:18 pm
Second Year

I've known about this book for a while; one of my HP friends knows the author and recommends the book. I definitely plan on reading it.

I competed in the TriWizard Tournament!

Daniel Pinkwater: The Yggyssey

Join the Fanfiction Author Deathmatch - signups for round five are NOW!
Old November 7th, 2008, 2:05 am
First Year

Well, I was at the book signing in Borders Wednesday, and am now devouring a copy signed by Melissa herself! And let me just say, this book is the best piece of nonficiton I have ever read. It reads like an HP book, an incredibly story told with hilarity and full of quirky detail - I was laughing out loud one minute, then reaching for tissues in five pages. Guys, go read it, it's the best HP thing to come out since DH.

Three-time author of an editorial on Mugglenet!
Semi-finalist of Mugglenet's 2008 Costume Contest!

You say "obsessed" like it's a bad thing!

Old November 7th, 2008, 2:18 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpboy13 View Post
Well, I was at the book signing in Borders Wednesday, and am now devouring a copy signed by Melissa herself! And let me just say, this book is the best piece of nonficiton I have ever read. It reads like an HP book, an incredibly story told with hilarity and full of quirky detail - I was laughing out loud one minute, then reaching for tissues in five pages. Guys, go read it, it's the best HP thing to come out since DH.
I'm hoping you're right, I think I'll take your word for it. I'm going to go buy it this weekend!

Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old November 7th, 2008, 7:07 am
Fifth Year

Just curious: is this like an autobiography, except about how Harry Potter has had an effect on the author's life?

Then let my heart be hardened,
And never mind how high the cost may grow,
This will still be so:
I WILL NEVER LET YOUR PEOPLE GO.

Old November 7th, 2008, 12:28 pm
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
Just curious: is this like an autobiography, except about how Harry Potter has had an effect on the author's life?
Here is a review of the book:
Harry, a HistoryEditorial Reviews
From Publishers Weekly
With infectious, at times frenetic, excitement, Anelli presents two narratives in this hip report on how a boy wizard became a rock star. The first is a love letter to the fans of J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter: a smart, creative, multinational, generation-spanning and technology-driven community. In the second, Anelli gives readers an exhaustive, if often jumbled, time line of Harry Potter's popularity. Appropriately for the webmistress of the Leaky Cauldron Web site, the author pays attention to the power of the Internet and its symbiotic relationship with fan communities, known as fandoms. Anelli attributes the evolution of fandoms principally to Harry Potter—an error that ignores other fandom phenomena like Star Trek or The X-Files. As she details her work with the Leaky Cauldron, readers get a view into the publishing world and the impressive tale of Harry Potter's ascension. Anelli also shares sweet scenes of meeting Rowling and the actors who portray the characters in the films. Fans will recognize themselves in these pages, and the curious might finally understand their friends. (Nov. 4)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Old November 7th, 2008, 2:39 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_Suki View Post
This book is definitely allowed. It's not an unofficial HP book such as the one that was challenged this past year, it's not an interpretative literary work either, it's a peek inside fandom from one fan's perspective: How she found Harry, how she became a part of the online fandom, how she went to HP readings and WROCK concerts and got into Harry and the Potters. An explanation of the HP Alliance, peeks into interviews that were given, stuff like that.
Oh right! I understand. Amazon didnt really have much info on it on their site, so I just assumed it was about Harry. Thats quite a cool idea for a book! Might check it out.

Twitter @potterlalashley // @lalalaley4ev
Old November 7th, 2008, 4:23 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBones View Post
Here is a review of the book:
Harry, a HistoryEditorial Reviews
From Publishers Weekly
With infectious, at times frenetic, excitement, Anelli presents two narratives in this hip report on how a boy wizard became a rock star. The first is a love letter to the fans of J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter: a smart, creative, multinational, generation-spanning and technology-driven community. In the second, Anelli gives readers an exhaustive, if often jumbled, time line of Harry Potter's popularity. Appropriately for the webmistress of the Leaky Cauldron Web site, the author pays attention to the power of the Internet and its symbiotic relationship with fan communities, known as fandoms. Anelli attributes the evolution of fandoms principally to Harry Potter—an error that ignores other fandom phenomena like Star Trek or The X-Files. As she details her work with the Leaky Cauldron, readers get a view into the publishing world and the impressive tale of Harry Potter's ascension. Anelli also shares sweet scenes of meeting Rowling and the actors who portray the characters in the films. Fans will recognize themselves in these pages, and the curious might finally understand their friends. (Nov. 4)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Thanks for that! It makes it all the more intriguing!

Old November 7th, 2008, 4:40 pm
Registered Animagus

I might try to find this book at the library and read it. I dunno if it is one I will want to buy. It seems like an interesting read, though!

Old November 7th, 2008, 4:46 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

I'm going to try to flip through it in the bookstore and see if it's worth purchasing. It seems interesting enough, especially to a relative newbie to the fandom.

I do like that the review above states the importance of the fandoms that came before HP. If the author thinks HP started this all, it is kind of wrong. I'm speaking from experience as someone involved in both the Star Trek and X-Files fandoms.

Old November 7th, 2008, 5:14 pm
Pernicious Blood Traitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by boushh View Post
I do like that the review above states the importance of the fandoms that came before HP. If the author thinks HP started this all, it is kind of wrong. I'm speaking from experience as someone involved in both the Star Trek and X-Files fandoms.
I don't recall any statement like that in the book, but I could be wrong. What I do recall and what I think the person is referring to, is this passage:

Spoiler: show
'But Harry Potter has actually been a very intimate phenomenon, the story of small groups of people acting in ways they shouldn't, doing things they usually wouldn't, and making the kinds of history that, without Harry, they pretty much couldn't. There's been one woman, a handful of small companies, and one multibillion-dollar corporation---which has, at times, operated like an independant movie studio---at work. They sold things that aren't supposed to sell, at a time when fantasy books weren't supposed to appeal to a generation of people who weren't supposed to care. At almost every step of Harry's early journey, things occurred in ways they shouldn't, confounded expectations, and nearly didn't happen at all.'

What matters is not the length of the wand, but the magic in the stick.

"So that doesn't clear anything up but it elucidates what I believe. But I don't think it's necessarily going to convince people who have a strong feeling, one way or the other, on the matter. You know what, that's been the case with most of "Harry Potter". I gave my explanation and it just fuels more debate." ~ JK Rowling

'Here he took out the stone that had the power to recall the dead, and turned it thrice in his hand.' ~ Thrice...go Team CoCo.
Old November 8th, 2008, 4:47 am
First Year

There is nothing of the sort in the book. Melissa presents a detiale dhistory of children's literature throughout the 90s, giving attention in particualr to goosebumps and Philip Pullman, and then points out that HP went above and beyond anything going on in that time. This is truly a book for the fans by a fan. Melissa jumps seamlessly from Jo's own history to her own history, interspersing great stories about individual fans and thousand-fan-strong movements.

Three-time author of an editorial on Mugglenet!
Semi-finalist of Mugglenet's 2008 Costume Contest!

You say "obsessed" like it's a bad thing!

Old November 8th, 2008, 5:13 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpboy13 View Post
There is nothing of the sort in the book. Melissa presents a detiale dhistory of children's literature throughout the 90s, giving attention in particualr to goosebumps and Philip Pullman, and then points out that HP went above and beyond anything going on in that time. This is truly a book for the fans by a fan. Melissa jumps seamlessly from Jo's own history to her own history, interspersing great stories about individual fans and thousand-fan-strong movements.
So what, are you saying its not worth the read?

Old November 8th, 2008, 5:38 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_Suki View Post
I don't recall any statement like that in the book, but I could be wrong. What I do recall and what I think the person is referring to, is this passage:
Well that review was kind of lying then if you're right. Ouch. Not nice.

Hopefully I'll be around a bookstore at some point to give this book a look...

Old November 10th, 2008, 11:44 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Yeah..me too. It seems intriguing and I'll definitely like to read it once.
The review is quite enticing too- though of course, not all reviews are accurate, I'd still give it a shot.

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old November 10th, 2008, 1:34 pm
Second Year

I read the book and it's fantastic! It brought back all the excitement of the early fandom and so many good memories. The intro by JKR was amazing.
The book is doing quite well, already in it's third printing.

Old November 10th, 2008, 4:51 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alysaw View Post
I read the book and it's fantastic! It brought back all the excitement of the early fandom and so many good memories. The intro by JKR was amazing.
The book is doing quite well, already in it's third printing.
I'm guessing that's a good sign!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak