Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #601  
Old July 7th, 2016, 5:34 am
HedwigOwl's Avatar
HedwigOwl  Female.gif HedwigOwl is offline
Curse Breaker
 
Joined: 5064 days
Location: Surfing a Probability Wave
Posts: 6,960
Re: The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
How did you view Founder's Mutation? I liked it ok, but the lack of chemistry/muted chemistry had it feeling like an episode of CSI at times. It was just strange. I'm glad it was moved from the 5th ep to the 2nd one. I can see why Glen wanted it later, but to have it after Babylon would have made me wonder if M & S broke up again. It worked better earlier, since Home Again didn't have the same muted tone to it.
I agree that the episode was better placed earlier on. I liked it, thought it was more like an episode from the original series. I think your feeling of "CSI-like" might be because of Mulder's skepticism now, leading him to look first for the logical explanation rather than the weird. Remember his rant in the X-files office about how many of the old x-file cases had rational explanations? He's not quite himself yet...which is why I liked the Were-Monster episode so much, Mulder comes face to face with the inexplicable and it restores his faith in himself a little. I think Founder's Mutation was a perfect episode for the series, pointing to both the past (Scully and Mulder worrying as they saw the children maimed by experimentation and worrying about their own son), and the future disaster in episode 6.


__________________
http://www.cosforums.com/images/img/401694897da473df47.png[/img]
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff...

....I miss David Tennant....
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #602  
Old July 8th, 2016, 12:06 am
Fawkesfan1's Avatar
Fawkesfan1  Female.gif Fawkesfan1 is offline
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs
 
Joined: 4725 days
Location: May spontaneously combust!
Posts: 7,596
Re: The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
I agree that the episode was better placed earlier on. I liked it, thought it was more like an episode from the original series. I think your feeling of "CSI-like" might be because of Mulder's skepticism now, leading him to look first for the logical explanation rather than the weird. Remember his rant in the X-files office about how many of the old x-file cases had rational explanations? He's not quite himself yet...which is why I liked the Were-Monster episode so much, Mulder comes face to face with the inexplicable and it restores his faith in himself a little. I think Founder's Mutation was a perfect episode for the series, pointing to both the past (Scully and Mulder worrying as they saw the children maimed by experimentation and worrying about their own son), and the future disaster in episode 6.
I disagree there, at least in terms of their interaction. It just felt off to me. Nope. That felt normal. But their bantering and such just fell flat to me. Which is strange since behind the scenes for that ep didn't feel like that at all .

Good points on that.


__________________

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.


RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; July 8th, 2016 at 2:01 am.
Reply With Quote
  #603  
Old October 5th, 2016, 7:34 pm
Fawkesfan1's Avatar
Fawkesfan1  Female.gif Fawkesfan1 is offline
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs
 
Joined: 4725 days
Location: May spontaneously combust!
Posts: 7,596
Re: The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))

Now for something a bit cute: Gillian is a big fan of HP! She got sorted into Ravenclaw and got a Dun Mare as her patronus. Via her Twitter.




A bit of new news.

Source: theglobeandmail.com

So it's looking like filming might start next year and it might be around 8 eps? Just going off of what CC said there.


__________________

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.


RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; October 5th, 2016 at 7:48 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #604  
Old October 24th, 2016, 8:23 pm
marauderfan  Female.gif marauderfan is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4370 days
Location: Beyond the veil
Age: 27
Posts: 261
Re: The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))

Hello! Wow, so this must be my first post on the site in at least 2 years. Just happened to pop back on and saw that this thread was relatively active, which is exciting as I've been on such an X-Files kick lately. and I haven't had much of a chance to talk about the revival with people yet and I have a lot of feelings about it.

And since I've not posted in this thread before I'll start off with a few of the questions from the first post :P


What drew you into watching the show in the first place? I saw it many years after it first aired, but I first decided to start watching it because I'd heard good things about it from friends and because I heard it had a sci-fi element, and I'm a huge fan of sci fi.

What was your favorite episode(s)? Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, Detour, Ice, Triangle... (how many am I allowed to list? because I could go onnnn :P)

Least favorite? Babylon. Provenance/Providence. And of course 3

first episode you ever saw - Pilot
favorite season - oh this one is hard to choose. Probably 5?
least favorite season - 9. Maybe 10.
favorite head boss - Skinner. (Duh.)
scariest/creepiest episode - Squeeze (I still can't turn the lights off after watching it. But I love it)


Re: that post Fawkesfan1 made about a new season - I'm not sure whether to be really excited or not. The revival wasn't everything I hoped it would be - there were good moments, but overall it was disappointing. So I hope season 11 will be better, but I don't know if it will. Season 8 began a kind of downward trend where the mythology made no sense and the characterization was sometimes inconsistent, maybe because the writers were kind of coming up with things as they went along, as opposed to the earlier season mythology which was well planned out (in general). It's especially apparent to me now while I'm rewatching season 1 - Scully was so sassy then! But in season 8 through the revival mostly all she does is worry about Mulder, worry about William, and cry. And she's a lot more than that, so I feel like this more recent writing of her does a disservice to her character. Yes I know she's been through a lot since early seasons, and that would change someone, but she really doesn't even feel like the same character anymore. she's sort of just becoming a stereotype.

And I won't even get into how ridiculous it was that they broke up Mulder and Scully. Dear writers, please stop fabricating drama for my OTP, thanks. :P She is his one in five billion, and he is her touchstone and constant. Case closed.

Oops that turned into more of a rant than I expected :P One thing I did like about the revival was how there actually does seem to be a really big disaster of epic proportions happening because they've been saying its coming since early on in the show, and it kept not happening haha, so... that was a kind of interesting development.


__________________


Captain of the HMS Arts & Crafts, co-founder of Annie Is My Homegirl, Proud member of the IBP and KEBA
Reply With Quote
  #605  
Old October 26th, 2016, 10:23 pm
Fawkesfan1's Avatar
Fawkesfan1  Female.gif Fawkesfan1 is offline
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs
 
Joined: 4725 days
Location: May spontaneously combust!
Posts: 7,596
Re: The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))

Quote:
Originally Posted by marauderfan View Post
Hello! Wow, so this must be my first post on the site in at least 2 years. Just happened to pop back on and saw that this thread was relatively active, which is exciting as I've been on such an X-Files kick lately. and I haven't had much of a chance to talk about the revival with people yet and I have a lot of feelings about it.

And since I've not posted in this thread before I'll start off with a few of the questions from the first post :P


What drew you into watching the show in the first place? I saw it many years after it first aired, but I first decided to start watching it because I'd heard good things about it from friends and because I heard it had a sci-fi element, and I'm a huge fan of sci fi.

What was your favorite episode(s)? Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, Detour, Ice, Triangle... (how many am I allowed to list? because I could go onnnn :P)

Least favorite? Babylon. Provenance/Providence. And of course 3

first episode you ever saw - Pilot
favorite season - oh this one is hard to choose. Probably 5?
least favorite season - 9. Maybe 10.
favorite head boss - Skinner. (Duh.)
scariest/creepiest episode - Squeeze (I still can't turn the lights off after watching it. But I love it)


Re: that post Fawkesfan1 made about a new season - I'm not sure whether to be really excited or not. The revival wasn't everything I hoped it would be - there were good moments, but overall it was disappointing. So I hope season 11 will be better, but I don't know if it will. Season 8 began a kind of downward trend where the mythology made no sense and the characterization was sometimes inconsistent, maybe because the writers were kind of coming up with things as they went along, as opposed to the earlier season mythology which was well planned out (in general). It's especially apparent to me now while I'm rewatching season 1 - Scully was so sassy then! But in season 8 through the revival mostly all she does is worry about Mulder, worry about William, and cry. And she's a lot more than that, so I feel like this more recent writing of her does a disservice to her character. Yes I know she's been through a lot since early seasons, and that would change someone, but she really doesn't even feel like the same character anymore. she's sort of just becoming a stereotype.

And I won't even get into how ridiculous it was that they broke up Mulder and Scully. Dear writers, please stop fabricating drama for my OTP, thanks. :P She is his one in five billion, and he is her touchstone and constant. Case closed.

Oops that turned into more of a rant than I expected :P One thing I did like about the revival was how there actually does seem to be a really big disaster of epic proportions happening because they've been saying its coming since early on in the show, and it kept not happening haha, so... that was a kind of interesting development.
Hi!

I feel similarly about it. I liked half of s10 and hated the rest. It pretty much stomped on both their relationship and the mytharc.

I feel as if that trend started around s6. But to be honest, I'd even consider anything from s6 through IWTB to be better than what CC came up this time. At least he was kept in check up to a certain point. I'd say the same for Mulder, they've both become stereotypes and it's sad to see. I'm actually dreading s11 to be honest.

Word. Step away from M & S, CC... step away from M & S.

No need to apologize for that! It's been frustrating being an XF fan as of late.



Quote:
"Chris Carter will once again serve as lead writer, executive producer and showrunner. There is no word on who Carter is looking at to staff the writers room for these new episodes, which will have to pick up from the cliffhanger ending of season ten."
Source: http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2016/10/fox-...-within-weeks/

Not digging this. Not at all. I hope that they're able to get Glen Morgan back. He was one of the saving graces of s10 in my opinion.


__________________

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.


RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; October 26th, 2016 at 11:27 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #606  
Old October 29th, 2016, 7:58 pm
marauderfan  Female.gif marauderfan is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4370 days
Location: Beyond the veil
Age: 27
Posts: 261
Re: The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
Hi!

I feel similarly about it. I liked half of s10 and hated the rest. It pretty much stomped on both their relationship and the mytharc.

I feel as if that trend started around s6. But to be honest, I'd even consider anything from s6 through IWTB to be better than what CC came up this time. At least he was kept in check up to a certain point. I'd say the same for Mulder, they've both become stereotypes and it's sad to see. I'm actually dreading s11 to be honest.

Word. Step away from M & S, CC... step away from M & S.

No need to apologize for that! It's been frustrating being an XF fan as of late.
Honestly I loved season six. But yeah when they got into that "alien spaceship that's the key to everything" at the end of that season it got a bit out there, even for the X-Files. I don't know, honestly I was okay with the mythology until they introduced the super soldiers and the miracle baby and all the retconning of season 8 such as Mulder's brain disease that made no sense in context.

It's funny because I think that the more CC tried to make it look like M & S were platonic (I've even seen somewhere that he said they were 'just friends' for the entire 9 year duration of the show...?!) he ended up just creating more drama around them and turning them into a soap opera. Their relationship was always best when it was kind of just floating in the background and subtle. There was no drama, they just were what they were. And I don't think it would have been that hard to even confirm that they were in a relationship and then just not make a big deal of it. William didn't need to be an X-File. Instead CC kind of dragged us back and forth on who William's father was, and I just didn't care. It's a shame because I really liked Doggett and Reyes and felt like the show could have been so much better if it started to focus on them instead of on William for so long. I was sooo tired of that plot.

IWTB really bothered me, because of how they wrote Scully as just a Nagging Wife Stereotype, and it felt like CC had forgotten how much Scully loved working on X-Files. She wouldn't have done it for 9 years if she hated it! She even said in season 10 that it made her feel alive. I agree with you that how Mulder is written now is sad to see, but I disagree that he has become a stereotype, mainly because he is so inconsistent as a character now that he can't really be a stereotype of anything. The mushrooms thing in Babylon didn't seem like a Mulder idea at all. Mulder has always been a bit crazy, but there was method to his madness. The mushrooms was just madness. I thought for sure I was watching the wrong show.

Quote:
Source: http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2016/10/fox-...-within-weeks/

Not digging this. Not at all. I hope that they're able to get Glen Morgan back. He was one of the saving graces of s10 in my opinion.
Yes. Thank goodness for Glen Morgan. Is it just me or has Chris Carter become the George Lucas of the X-Files? like, the world has much to thank him for for creating an incredible, beloved TV series, but without other people's input he kind of takes it out of control. The new mythology and characterisation is to the X-Files as Jar Jar Binks is to Star Wars. Annoying and mostly confusing and we were better off without it.

And someone needs to tell him that we GET that it's 2016. I felt like season 10 was kind of bashing us over the head with "HEY IT'S NOT THE 1990'S ANYMORE! SO MODERN! SEEEE?"

I mean, all that said, even if there is a season 11 I'm still going to watch it, as much as it hurts :P


__________________


Captain of the HMS Arts & Crafts, co-founder of Annie Is My Homegirl, Proud member of the IBP and KEBA
Reply With Quote
  #607  
Old October 31st, 2016, 7:03 pm
Fawkesfan1's Avatar
Fawkesfan1  Female.gif Fawkesfan1 is offline
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs
 
Joined: 4725 days
Location: May spontaneously combust!
Posts: 7,596
Re: The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))

Quote:
Originally Posted by marauderfan View Post
Honestly I loved season six. But yeah when they got into that "alien spaceship that's the key to everything" at the end of that season it got a bit out there, even for the X-Files. I don't know, honestly I was okay with the mythology until they introduced the super soldiers and the miracle baby and all the retconning of season 8 such as Mulder's brain disease that made no sense in context.

It's funny because I think that the more CC tried to make it look like M & S were platonic (I've even seen somewhere that he said they were 'just friends' for the entire 9 year duration of the show...?!) he ended up just creating more drama around them and turning them into a soap opera. Their relationship was always best when it was kind of just floating in the background and subtle. There was no drama, they just were what they were. And I don't think it would have been that hard to even confirm that they were in a relationship and then just not make a big deal of it. William didn't need to be an X-File. Instead CC kind of dragged us back and forth on who William's father was, and I just didn't care. It's a shame because I really liked Doggett and Reyes and felt like the show could have been so much better if it started to focus on them instead of on William for so long. I was sooo tired of that plot.

IWTB really bothered me, because of how they wrote Scully as just a Nagging Wife Stereotype, and it felt like CC had forgotten how much Scully loved working on X-Files. She wouldn't have done it for 9 years if she hated it! She even said in season 10 that it made her feel alive. I agree with you that how Mulder is written now is sad to see, but I disagree that he has become a stereotype, mainly because he is so inconsistent as a character now that he can't really be a stereotype of anything. The mushrooms thing in Babylon didn't seem like a Mulder idea at all. Mulder has always been a bit crazy, but there was method to his madness. The mushrooms was just madness. I thought for sure I was watching the wrong show.


Yes. Thank goodness for Glen Morgan. Is it just me or has Chris Carter become the George Lucas of the X-Files? like, the world has much to thank him for for creating an incredible, beloved TV series, but without other people's input he kind of takes it out of control. The new mythology and characterisation is to the X-Files as Jar Jar Binks is to Star Wars. Annoying and mostly confusing and we were better off without it.

And someone needs to tell him that we GET that it's 2016. I felt like season 10 was kind of bashing us over the head with "HEY IT'S NOT THE 1990'S ANYMORE! SO MODERN! SEEEE?"

I mean, all that said, even if there is a season 11 I'm still going to watch it, as much as it hurts :P
Word. It's like even then they didn't know exactly what to do with both the mytharc or anything else for that matter .

Yea that was priceless. People on Twitter got him good with that one. And the tag is still going strong. I hated that, the whole 'who's the daddy' drama was just because CC didn't want to go there. Ugh. I disagree on that in part, I mainly meant in the way that CC was writing him. It was over the top at times in s10. And that got under my skin a little bit. Fair point, given that some of the other writers wrote him half way decently. I agree with you on that . I didn't know what to think with that Babylon bull. And it was supposedly Niacin. Like Mulder wouldn't know the difference? Really, Chris? Do you really think that low of your own character?

Only in some ways worse. He's unwilling (at least now) to let M & S change, mature and grow and it's sad. Agreed.

But, would he listen? He seems to not take criticism or comments that well.

I am too, but this is the last chance for me.


__________________

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.


RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; October 31st, 2016 at 8:04 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #608  
Old November 29th, 2016, 3:06 pm
Fawkesfan1's Avatar
Fawkesfan1  Female.gif Fawkesfan1 is offline
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs
 
Joined: 4725 days
Location: May spontaneously combust!
Posts: 7,596
Re: The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))

Bad news guys, looks like we might not get s11.

Here's the news.

Source: reuters.com


__________________

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.


RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Reply With Quote
  #609  
Old September 9th, 2017, 5:11 pm
Fawkesfan1's Avatar
Fawkesfan1  Female.gif Fawkesfan1 is offline
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs
 
Joined: 4725 days
Location: May spontaneously combust!
Posts: 7,596
Re: The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))

The news regarding season 11: https://www.google.com/search?q=x+fi...hrome&ie=UTF-8


__________________

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.


RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Reply With Quote
  #610  
Old November 8th, 2017, 4:23 am
Fawkesfan1's Avatar
Fawkesfan1  Female.gif Fawkesfan1 is offline
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs
 
Joined: 4725 days
Location: May spontaneously combust!
Posts: 7,596
Re: The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))

Say wha...?!

Quote:
David Duchovny: It’s like did we have a love scene last week and now we are doing this? Now we are acting like we never even held hands? There is a little bit of that to the nature of our show.

New York City Comic Con, 2017
Source: http://sunshine-today.com/post/16708...e-a-love-scene


I think it's in relation to the nature overall, but I got a good laugh from that one and I was left a bit speechless there .


Well... looks like it wasn't just that after all.

http://tvline.com/2017/11/29/the-x-f...trailer-video/



Hoping it's just not between the doppelgangers. That would just be cruel.


New Promo:




Press Release for 'Plus One':

Spoiler: show
A spate of deaths, in which the victims were plagued by their own doppelgangers, lead Mulder and Scully to a pair of twins playing a dangerous game in the all-new "Plus One" episode of THE X-FILES airing Wednesday, Jan. 17 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (XF-1103) (TV-14 D, L, S, V)


There's an S rating.

Source: https://www.spoilertv.com/2017/12/th...medium=twitter


A bit more about the new eps:


Spoiler: show
MS3 is definitely a My Struggle episode (packed with all the bad voiceovers you’ve come to expect) but for most of the hour it’s a slight step up from the first two, if only because it’s got some momentum and Mulder and Scully are in a good place. But someone makes a highly upsetting suggestion that puts an episode from the original series in a new light. It will clearly affect this season’s story but hasn’t yet. That’s all I’m saying.

This: Glen Morgan can write my life. His Mulder and Scully have exactly the dynamic I believe they have, flirty in a comfortable, lived-in kind of way, and also they’re badasses. The time jump between MS3 and This could be anything from a few weeks to, like, over a year, depending on whether you believe they’re actually paying attention to the fact that MS3 was set in 2016 and This seems to exist in a present-day political climate. Personally I do not come to The X- “Our Pilot Is Set in 1992 for No Reason”-Files for a timeline that makes sense. God bless the inventor of handcuffs.

Plus One: Entirely fine. No one needs to worry about the doppelganger thing. Not all of Chris’ interpretations of MSR jive completely with the other writers’: I did a few double takes in one scene, mostly for very small reasons (like, spelling out things that are good but that I just didn’t think needed to be spelled out) but for a couple of slightly bigger reasons too. But that scene is also easily my favorite of the episode; it is a Mood. There are some really sweet lines in this one, all the “intimations” David promised, and a pitch-perfect ending.

The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat: I didn’t stop smiling for a second. Classic Darin Morgan: meta and sincere at once. Really absurdly funny. An examination of truth and interpretation. Like Jose Chung’s From Outer Space if Jose Chung’s From Outer Space were actually as good as everyone says it is.

Ghouli: James Wong knocks it out of the park and gives Gillian the best dramatic material she’s been handed from this show in a very long time. I wanted to personally hand-wrap one scene and deliver it to the Emmys. She’s incredible. This episode is weighty and has a lot of heart, and it’s handled really deftly, I think, and in a way that feels organic to the show. I love it.


Source: http://thetvmouse.tumblr.com/post/16...-about-the-new


We have a premiere date now! January 3rd.

tvline.com/2017/11/15/the-x-files-season-11-premiere-date-poster-fox/amp/


__________________

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.


RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; January 9th, 2018 at 5:45 am. Reason: adding in the premiere date
Reply With Quote
  #611  
Old January 4th, 2018, 1:55 am
HedwigOwl's Avatar
HedwigOwl  Female.gif HedwigOwl is offline
Curse Breaker
 
Joined: 5064 days
Location: Surfing a Probability Wave
Posts: 6,960
Re: The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))

Just watched the season premiere!! Anyone else?


__________________
http://www.cosforums.com/images/img/401694897da473df47.png[/img]
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff...

....I miss David Tennant....
Reply With Quote
  #612  
Old January 9th, 2018, 5:43 am
Fawkesfan1's Avatar
Fawkesfan1  Female.gif Fawkesfan1 is offline
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs
 
Joined: 4725 days
Location: May spontaneously combust!
Posts: 7,596
Re: The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
Just watched the season premiere!! Anyone else?
I did. Wasn't thrilled with the editing and the quick cuts. Got distracted at tims during it.

What did you think of it?


__________________

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.


RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Reply With Quote
  #613  
Old January 13th, 2018, 5:13 pm
HedwigOwl's Avatar
HedwigOwl  Female.gif HedwigOwl is offline
Curse Breaker
 
Joined: 5064 days
Location: Surfing a Probability Wave
Posts: 6,960
Re: The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
I did. Wasn't thrilled with the editing and the quick cuts. Got distracted at tims during it.

What did you think of it?
I'm assuming that you saw episode 2 by now, but fair warning that I allude to it a bit below. Which I really liked by the way, and would love to discuss.

Spoiler: show
It didn't bother me so much, considering it turns out we were watching flashes of information to Scully's brain. And what she's receiving now seems to be current information, as opposed to the vision of how things will unfold (last season's ending episode) if no one intervenes.

There are a couple things that are a bit puzzling -- one that stuck out for me was when Scully was telling Mulder that CSM has to be stopped before launching his plan and yet at another point she's concerned that Mulder is on his way to confront him, saying that an argument Mulder has with CSM is the way everything starts. In last year's finale, the only argument we see with Mulder & CSM is when Mulder is seen driving to West Virginia to confront him after the plan is already in motion and everyone is falling ill including Mulder. So that's an open question, as is the fact that CSM isn't in the house, the 2 creepy syndicate people are.


__________________
http://www.cosforums.com/images/img/401694897da473df47.png[/img]
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff...

....I miss David Tennant....
Reply With Quote
  #614  
Old January 17th, 2018, 5:45 pm
marauderfan  Female.gif marauderfan is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4370 days
Location: Beyond the veil
Age: 27
Posts: 261
Re: The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
Just watched the season premiere!! Anyone else?
Um. I have many thoughts about it, and none of them are good. :P

Rant:
Spoiler: show
The first ten minutes felt like a PowerPoint. Literally, it was just slides of images of current political events with a boring voice over by CSM. I've sat through enough bad X-Files voiceovers and don't mind them when the rest of the episode is good (see: many of the classic episodes), but this ep just went downhill from there.

I was kinda disappointed that everything was all in Scully's head. The show has been building up to a disaster of apocalyptic proportions for so long and always seems to sneak out of them, and that happened again here. Ho-hum.

AND don't EVEN get me started on the last five minutes. What I 10000% did not need was another instance of Scully being the victim of experimentation. Hasn't she been through enough?? Can she have no bodily autonomy on this show? The fact that CC went in that direction just appalls me, tbh, because this show already has an iffy track record with dubious rape plots and with women's autonomy even in highly praised episodes that I otherwise like (small potatoes, post-modern prometheus, etc) But like... in this current climate, did CC not see the issue with this plot in which a man in a position of power (CSM) drugs and impregnates a woman without her consent? like. omg. It's just so inappropriate, and I wish the writers would just leave Scully alone, her body is not a plot device. Please tell me CSM was lying. And honestly I'm so tired of the William's paternity plot which has been going on for like 17 years and I never cared in the first place.


But episode 2 was pretty good I guess.

I'm really just watching this season for the Darin Morgan episode because I'm furious at how the mytharc is being handled so far this season.


__________________


Captain of the HMS Arts & Crafts, co-founder of Annie Is My Homegirl, Proud member of the IBP and KEBA

Last edited by marauderfan; January 19th, 2018 at 7:01 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #615  
Old January 21st, 2018, 3:31 am
HedwigOwl's Avatar
HedwigOwl  Female.gif HedwigOwl is offline
Curse Breaker
 
Joined: 5064 days
Location: Surfing a Probability Wave
Posts: 6,960
Re: The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))

Quote:
Originally Posted by marauderfan View Post
Um. I have many thoughts about it, and none of them are good. :P

Rant:
Spoiler: show
The first ten minutes felt like a PowerPoint. Literally, it was just slides of images of current political events with a boring voice over by CSM. I've sat through enough bad X-Files voiceovers and don't mind them when the rest of the episode is good (see: many of the classic episodes), but this ep just went downhill from there.

I was kinda disappointed that everything was all in Scully's head. The show has been building up to a disaster of apocalyptic proportions for so long and always seems to sneak out of them, and that happened again here. Ho-hum.

AND don't EVEN get me started on the last five minutes. What I 10000% did not need was another instance of Scully being the victim of experimentation. Hasn't she been through enough?? Can she have no bodily autonomy on this show? The fact that CC went in that direction just appalls me, tbh, because this show already has an iffy track record with dubious rape plots and with women's autonomy even in highly praised episodes that I otherwise like (small potatoes, post-modern prometheus, etc) But like... in this current climate, did CC not see the issue with this plot in which a man in a position of power (CSM) drugs and impregnates a woman without her consent? like. omg. It's just so inappropriate, and I wish the writers would just leave Scully alone, her body is not a plot device. Please tell me CSM was lying. And honestly I'm so tired of the William's paternity plot which has been going on for like 17 years and I never cared in the first place.


But episode 2 was pretty good I guess.

I'm really just watching this season for the Darin Morgan episode because I'm furious at how the mytharc is being handled so far this season.
Well, actually...

Spoiler: show
The series is still building up to a disaster of apocalyptic proportions. The last episode in series 10 was completely a vision in Scully's head, a premonition of what's fast approaching if CSM isn't stopped, and in episode 1 of series 11, Scully is still having a continuation of the same vision, but they're bits of the very imminent future. Both show the plan is still to kill off most of humanity.

As far as the comment by CSM that William is technically his son, well we can't know for sure because CSM lies whenever it suits him, and hides the truth for the same reason. But I'm surprised that having watched the entire X-Files series that you would be shocked by the exploitation of women to produce a successful alien human hybrid. It's one of the consistent evil plots throughout, and the writers can't continue/finish the story if they ignore the original mythology.

As far as William's paternity, I don't think the writers are using it as a "plot line". Both Scully & Mulder have always feared that William's was not a natural conception and it doesn't take much of a leap for them (especially Scully who saw what William was capable of as a baby) to know the truth on some level. Yet each has thought of William often, fantasizing their relationship with him had they been able to stay together as a family. So regardless of technical paternity, loving a child and doing what seems best for them is completely a separate matter. As William appears to still have telepathic and premonition abilities, it's likely that he has been able to know both Scully's and Mulder's feelings for him and may very well consider them to be his parents. And after all, CSM is Mulder's father on a paternity test but has had no influence on him as a parent.

I understand your liking for the Darin Morgan episodes, the Wereperson story from the last season was one of my favorites. But if all the episodes were like that we'd never get to the end, would we? And by the way, Darin's episode is coming up next week.


__________________
http://www.cosforums.com/images/img/401694897da473df47.png[/img]
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff...

....I miss David Tennant....
Reply With Quote
  #616  
Old January 22nd, 2018, 8:18 pm
marauderfan  Female.gif marauderfan is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4370 days
Location: Beyond the veil
Age: 27
Posts: 261
Re: The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
Well, actually...

Spoiler: show
The series is still building up to a disaster of apocalyptic proportions. The last episode in series 10 was completely a vision in Scully's head, a premonition of what's fast approaching if CSM isn't stopped, and in episode 1 of series 11, Scully is still having a continuation of the same vision, but they're bits of the very imminent future. Both show the plan is still to kill off most of humanity.
Spoiler: show
Fair point. But, who's to say that's actually what's going to happen? Is it an actual, prophetic vision of the future or just a really vivid dream? After all, it hasn't bothered her since. But I hope you're right and that we do get to see some intense conclusion to it. I'm very ready to see Scully save the day with science.


Quote:
Spoiler: show
As far as the comment by CSM that William is technically his son, well we can't know for sure because CSM lies whenever it suits him, and hides the truth for the same reason. But I'm surprised that having watched the entire X-Files series that you would be shocked by the exploitation of women to produce a successful alien human hybrid. It's one of the consistent evil plots throughout, and the writers can't continue/finish the story if they ignore the original mythology.
Spoiler: show
He could be lying, yes. I hope he is. And yes, the exploitation of women is a consistent plot throughout the show, but that doesn't mean it's not shocking when they keep adding more levels to it. Bad treatment of women should never be so commonplace that it's not shocking. Besides, Scully has been through SO much, and time after time the show has taken away her autonomy of her own body, and I'm furious that they took this last bit of her reproductive agency. It was just an incredibly tone-deaf plot to include especially given what's going on in the real world right now surrounding the issue of assault. I think they could still have made a compelling season-arc plot without writing in this particular detail.


Quote:
Spoiler: show
As far as William's paternity, I don't think the writers are using it as a "plot line". Both Scully & Mulder have always feared that William's was not a natural conception and it doesn't take much of a leap for them (especially Scully who saw what William was capable of as a baby) to know the truth on some level. Yet each has thought of William often, fantasizing their relationship with him had they been able to stay together as a family. So regardless of technical paternity, loving a child and doing what seems best for them is completely a separate matter. As William appears to still have telepathic and premonition abilities, it's likely that he has been able to know both Scully's and Mulder's feelings for him and may very well consider them to be his parents. And after all, CSM is Mulder's father on a paternity test but has had no influence on him as a parent.
Spoiler: show
That's true what you said about the difference between a biological father and a true parent. And I get that Mulder would be more of a father to William than CSM regardless. I just hate the idea that, if CSM was telling the truth, Scully's son is technically Mulder's half-brother? It just puts a layer of ick into the Mulder/Scully relationship that I did not need.



Quote:
I understand your liking for the Darin Morgan episodes, the Wereperson story from the last season was one of my favorites. But if all the episodes were like that we'd never get to the end, would we? And by the way, Darin's episode is coming up next week.
Ha, yeah, I know it can't be all monster-of-the-week. Tbh I really loved the early mytharc stories, when everything was all shadowy conspiracies, but I think my love for the mytharc died in season 6 or 7. Around then it seemed like the writers didn't really know what to do with the mytharc anymore because it had grown too big and unwieldy (and, understandably, because they thought the show was going to end after season 7?), and kind of exploded the mytharc and ended the Syndicate and everything, and then trying to resurrect it since then into all this stuff about prophecy and miracle babies and super soldiers on a grandiose scale just produced kinda mediocre x-files, IMO.

Oh, next week? Ahh!


__________________


Captain of the HMS Arts & Crafts, co-founder of Annie Is My Homegirl, Proud member of the IBP and KEBA
Reply With Quote
  #617  
Old January 23rd, 2018, 4:26 am
Fawkesfan1's Avatar
Fawkesfan1  Female.gif Fawkesfan1 is offline
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs
 
Joined: 4725 days
Location: May spontaneously combust!
Posts: 7,596
Re: The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))

You guys bring up some very good points!

Spoiler: show
I don't even want to think about what the mytharc is now. But I know one thing... CSM is full of hot air about William's parentage.

Speaking of which... thoughts on CC's ep, Plus One?

At first I really didn't like what he did with M and S. It felt like friends with benefits.

But I just realized something from this ep tonight: https://stupideffinbee.tumblr.com/po...ll-things-7x17

Source: their Tumblr page

Big thanks to notwidelyunderstooddefinition for posting this gifset via Tumblr.

Scully left unsure in All Things. Mulder didnít. Itís the mirror to it.

Scully was a bit unsure here... but Mulder stayed to comfort her. And then she was confident. And went for the second round .

These are two adults who know what they want in the end.

CC be damned.

Now the non physicality makes some sense.

ĎAll Thingsí was VERY implied in that regard. Didnít have any real physicality either.

Just got distracted by the baby conversation... which... the name of the ep alluded to --> 'Plus One', along with the name of the hotel... the St. Rachel.

So I'm not so sure of what to think on that. That Scully and him are trying for another kid.

That's one plot twist that I didn't have anywhere near my brain.

I liked the case alright and thought it was pretty spooky.



Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
I'm assuming that you saw episode 2 by now, but fair warning that I allude to it a bit below. Which I really liked by the way, and would love to discuss.

Spoiler: show
It didn't bother me so much, considering it turns out we were watching flashes of information to Scully's brain. And what she's receiving now seems to be current information, as opposed to the vision of how things will unfold (last season's ending episode) if no one intervenes.

There are a couple things that are a bit puzzling -- one that stuck out for me was when Scully was telling Mulder that CSM has to be stopped before launching his plan and yet at another point she's concerned that Mulder is on his way to confront him, saying that an argument Mulder has with CSM is the way everything starts. In last year's finale, the only argument we see with Mulder & CSM is when Mulder is seen driving to West Virginia to confront him after the plan is already in motion and everyone is falling ill including Mulder. So that's an open question, as is the fact that CSM isn't in the house, the 2 creepy syndicate people are.
Spoiler: show
I loved ep 2 too! It wasn't perfect but M and S were so in sync and as far as I'm concerned are married.

I truly appreciate Glen, David and Gillian for just ignoring CC there in regards to M and S's relationship .

As for ep 1... I could see that's what they were trying to do, but it was just too fast for my taste.

Hmm... good point. So it's the one where Mulder rejects CSM's 'help' then? That's the best guess I have there.


__________________

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.


RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; January 23rd, 2018 at 4:45 am.
Reply With Quote
  #618  
Old January 23rd, 2018, 6:05 am
HedwigOwl's Avatar
HedwigOwl  Female.gif HedwigOwl is offline
Curse Breaker
 
Joined: 5064 days
Location: Surfing a Probability Wave
Posts: 6,960
Re: The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))

Quote:
Originally Posted by marauderfan View Post
Spoiler: show
Fair point. But, who's to say that's actually what's going to happen? Is it an actual, prophetic vision of the future or just a really vivid dream? After all, it hasn't bothered her since. But I hope you're right and that we do get to see some intense conclusion to it. I'm very ready to see Scully save the day with science.

Spoiler: show
It has to be a vision, after all there is a scene in this season's 1st episode where we see a shadowed figure (no face, but good hair) that I'm guessing we're supposed to think is William, distressed and holding the sides of his head. So not a dream but a telepathic message.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
You guys bring up some very good points!

Spoiler: show
I don't even want to think about what the mytharc is now. But I know one thing... CSM is full of hot air about William's parentage.

Speaking of which... thoughts on CC's ep, Plus One?

........

So I'm not so sure of what to think on that. That Scully and him are trying for another kid.

That's one plot twist that I didn't have anywhere near my brain.

I liked the case alright and thought it was pretty spooky.

Spoiler: show
Yes I thought the Scully/Mulder conversation was a bit surprising too. And while we've been led to believe that Scully can't have kids anymore, who's to say considering that her doctor was in on the William conception thing.

Regarding CSM, I read a CC interview in EW where he says CSM is NOT the biological father, just considers himself to be the technological father because he arranged the scientific implant.

Spoiler: show
I loved ep 2 too! It wasn't perfect but M and S were so in sync and as far as I'm concerned are married.


Hmm... good point. So it's the one where Mulder rejects CSM's 'help' then? That's the best guess I have there.
Spoiler: show
I agree, they were in sync in every way.

Yes, that's the argument I'm referring to. But that happens after everyone's already terminally ill, yet Scully implies that's how the apocalypse starts....unless they didn't show us everything of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
You guys bring up some very good points!

Spoiler: show
I don't even want to think about what the mytharc is now. But I know one thing... CSM is full of hot air about William's parentage.

Speaking of which... thoughts on CC's ep, Plus One?

........

So I'm not so sure of what to think on that. That Scully and him are trying for another kid.

That's one plot twist that I didn't have anywhere near my brain.

I liked the case alright and thought it was pretty spooky.

Spoiler: show
Yes I thought the Scully/Mulder conversation was a bit surprising too. And while we've been led to believe that Scully can't have kids anymore, who's to say considering that her doctor was in on the William conception thing.

Regarding CSM, I read a CC interview in EW where he says CSM is NOT the biological father, just considers himself to be the technological father because he arranged the scientific implant.

Spoiler: show
I loved ep 2 too! It wasn't perfect but M and S were so in sync and as far as I'm concerned are married.


Hmm... good point. So it's the one where Mulder rejects CSM's 'help' then? That's the best guess I have there.
Spoiler: show
I agree, they were in sync in every way.

Yes, that's the argument I'm referring to. But that happens after everyone's already terminally ill, yet Scully implies that's how the apocalypse starts....unless they didn't show us everything of course.


__________________
http://www.cosforums.com/images/img/401694897da473df47.png[/img]
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff...

....I miss David Tennant....
Reply With Quote
  #619  
Old February 2nd, 2018, 12:42 am
Fawkesfan1's Avatar
Fawkesfan1  Female.gif Fawkesfan1 is offline
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs
 
Joined: 4725 days
Location: May spontaneously combust!
Posts: 7,596
Re: The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))

How did you guys like 'Ghouli'?

I thought it was ok, but I wasn't a huge fan of some parts of it.


__________________

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.


RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Reply With Quote
  #620  
Old February 3rd, 2018, 6:25 pm
marauderfan  Female.gif marauderfan is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4370 days
Location: Beyond the veil
Age: 27
Posts: 261
Re: The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
Spoiler: show
Just got distracted by the baby conversation... which... the name of the ep alluded to --> 'Plus One', along with the name of the hotel... the St. Rachel.

So I'm not so sure of what to think on that. That Scully and him are trying for another kid.
Spoiler: show
Omg I hadn't even considered that aspect of it. All I thought about that conversation was that it seemed kind of weird for them to be having it in the first place, considering that it didn't really take any of their history into account. Scully saying something like "Even if I could have another kid, I don't have anyone to have one with" was ridiculous, because a) she's literally snuggled in Mulder's arms, her life partner, and b) she's like 53? Why would she be thinking about this now and not maybe 10 years earlier? This is another thing that I think comes down to the team of male writers, and how they don't really know how to write a middle aged female character and what she would be thinking about at this point in her life with her history. Women don't think about babies 24/7, and even though she certainly did want children earlier in her life, I wouldn't think she'd spend the entire rest of her life feeling sad that she didn't.

But it didn't even occur to me that this was just clunky plot exposition so that CC could introduce another miracle baby. I just.... I really, REALLY hope not. But you're probably right



Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
How did you guys like 'Ghouli'?

I thought it was ok, but I wasn't a huge fan of some parts of it.
I really liked the first half! It felt like a good old fashioned X file! And... then it began to feel like there were too many writers in the kitchen and everything turned into a bit of a mess by the end :P Some things I can't figure out:

Spoiler: show
1. Why Jackson (aka William) created the Ghouli on the ship in the first place and sent his two girlfriends to meet it there? I just... what? What's the point? That's not really a prank, that's just mean. Like, why did he think this was a good idea in any way. Jackson is really messed up. Also this explanation turned what I thought was going to be a good ol fashioned scary monster x-file into nothing. The Ghouli wasn't even the point of the episode. *sigh*

2. So after 17 years of relative peace and quiet suddenly everyone is after William again? And they kill his parents? It just seems like a poorly set up plot device so that Mulder and Scully can adopt him back or something.


__________________


Captain of the HMS Arts & Crafts, co-founder of Annie Is My Homegirl, Proud member of the IBP and KEBA
Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 1:04 am.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.