Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Discussion: Deathly Hallows Movie Part One

Old November 30th, 2010, 9:08 am
Embroidered by imaginatio

Discussion: Deathly Hallows Movie Part One

So, you've seen the movie, what do you think? Were all the bits in there that you wanted? Was the "end" what you expected/wanted? Use this thread for open discussion amongst one another for the movie.

Remember the Forum Rules are in place. Anyone who decides to be too opinionated in their views and cause problems won't last long.

Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2010, 9:45 am
Second Year

Re: Deathly Hallows Part 1 - Open Discussion v.2

Hes, would you mind also posting a link to the previous thread so that people know where they left off?

I know i had a question to Weasley9 in the previous thread but don't remember exactly what i had written lol!

-I have NOT read the Potter books, only watched the movies...sadly.
Old November 30th, 2010, 10:27 am
Eldest Gruff

It's here: Deathly Hallows Part 1 - Open Discussion. Seems the 24h redirect didn't work this time - sorry!

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old November 30th, 2010, 12:23 pm
Malum Veneficus

From the previous version:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParanoidAndroid
If I do have one complaint about the movie it's the darkness of the visuals. I know that the books get darker as they go along, but it doesn't have to be translated literally with the visuals.
This seems to be the case with all Yates' HP movies, I haven't seen the four first movies in a long while, but I'm almost sure they aren't that dark. By the end of DH my eyes hurt so much, and I was grateful for any scene with some normal light in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LupinTheGreat
True, but if i recall in the same movie, Harry used the same spell on Snape...even though it failed. He knew what it did by that point and still planned to attack Snape with it. In the movies, Harry always used these harsh spells to people he disliked, (Trying to use Crucio on Bella after she killed Sirius).
Harry tends to use horrible curses when he is in a 'stormy' mood when he isn't exactly in control of himself, as he did multiple times in HBP and DH. But in that case (at the Malfoys') it wouldn't have helped him much. Even if he used that curse on Bellatrix, there's still Narcissa, Draco, Lucius and the Snatchers to deal with. It might've caused Bellatrix to immediately kill Hermione, which isn't what they wanted obviously.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.

Last edited by bellatrix93; November 30th, 2010 at 12:26 pm.
Old November 30th, 2010, 1:23 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by digificwriter
Anyway, rant over. Somebody asked whether or not Percy came with Scrimgour to the Burrow in DH (the novel), and the answer is no. In the novel, Mr. Weasley brings Scrimgour to the Burrow with him, and Scrimgour asks to speak in private with Harry, Ron, and Hermione, at which time he reads them Dumbledore's will and gives them their bequests. Percy doesn't appear in DH (the novel) until just prior to the Second Battle of Hogwarts, when he turns up - after being tipped off to the battle by Aberforth Dumbledore - and reconciles with his family.
I also think that he appears in the ministry scene. He is in the lift when Arthur is in there with them and Harry as Runcorn tells Arthur he is being watched. Though i think you are right Percy doesn't come at the beginning, i think that was in HBP where Percy and the Minister show up for Christmas.

Old November 30th, 2010, 2:31 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
If I do have one complaint about the movie it's the darkness of the visuals. I know that the books get darker as they go along, but it doesn't have to be translated literally with the visuals.
YES! HBP in particular is so visually dark that we can't watch it in the daytime because we can't make our living room dark enough to see what's going on. I didn't think DH was too bad, but the Malfoy Manor scenes were pretty visually dark--were there other scenes? I'm having a hard time recalling.

Old November 30th, 2010, 3:16 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
So, you've seen the movie, what do you think?
I liked it but that's because my inner fangirl got the better of my objective critic.

The film sags around the middle. Nothing wrong with showing the isolation of the Trio, but that section really drags without moving the narrative forward , and the reaction of some non-HP friends has confirmed that for me: some non-book people have got bored. I'm very much of the opinion that a big fantasy franchise like this should be wooing non-fans as well as the hardcore fanbase.

Were all the bits in there that you wanted?

-- I very much wanted the Silver Doe. That was in.

-- I loved the dark intensity of the Malfoy Manor scenes.

-- Action sequences were excellent.

-- I really wish the latter HP films had better, crisper exposition. (Exposition does not have to be wordy or drag down a film narrative!) The Voldemort flashback scenes were incredibly vague and confusing. I could barely tell Ollivander from Gellert. The non-HP people must have been completely at sea!

-- Dobby still fails to work for me as a CGI character. (I was never that fond of Yoda either, for what it's worth.)

Was the "end" what you expected/wanted?

Where they split the story was fine.

The split has so far worked better than I expected.

But I still think the first film is a tad too long. Although I do like it. And Emma was great.

Last edited by Pearl_Took; November 30th, 2010 at 3:19 pm.
Old November 30th, 2010, 3:29 pm
First Year

I liked this much better than HBP--they made it about Ron and Lavendar and didn't tell the audience WHY Snape's the HBP! DH1 was AWESOME--I do agree about the lighting, but I must say that I brought a friend with me who is NOT an HPer, and she understood what was going on with very little background info!!! DH2 has ALOT to live up to!

Old November 30th, 2010, 3:56 pm
Fourth Year

The mention of Percy in this thread reminded me that I was hoping for some explanation of Percy's absence from the wedding, since the storyline of his disowning his family was cut from the films. I know he'll be in part 2, Chris Rankin talks quite a bit about it on his twitter but I was hoping there'd be a moment that would set up the fact he's now estranged from his family. Also, no mention of Charile at the wedding, and he has been mentioned in the films but I suppose you could assume he was at the wedding in the background

So, you've seen the movie,what do you think?
Overall I was happy, but I need to see it again because my first viewing I spent far too much time analysing everything until I could relax at the end, but I loved it, prbably the best yet and has some of the funniest moments of the films despite the dark tone.

Were all the bits in there that you wanted?
No sadly, I wanted the Harry/Ginny kiss from the book and the Lupin fight, but there was a lot more than I expected! Good to see them sticking a lot closer to the book

Was the "end" what you expected/wanted?
I liked the end, I didn't have a preference as to where it came or which moment it happened but it felt like a good conclusion, and I cried.

I've only seen the film once and it's leaving me with far too much reflecting to do without being able to get answers which is frustrating

Proud Pottermore and CoS Hufflepuff!
Old November 30th, 2010, 4:06 pm
Zonko's Employee

DH1 has finally come out and we're at the end of the month. Time for new questions!

MoD's Silly Questions, YOUR Amazing Answers; Series Two: DH1, Question List 11

Beginning of the End

72. What did you think of the movie? Did it live up to your expectations or were you disappointed the trio didn't stay in five star hotels finding another horcrux every other day and making it home for the holidays?

73. How many times have you seen the movie so far? Do you plan any more viewings?

74. What did you think of the split-point? How do you feel about the split in general now?

75. What was your biggest pet peeve about the film? What did you love most about the movie?

76. What did you think of the music in context of the film?

77. Did you cry at anytime during the movie?

78. Does the end of this movie make you crave to see part two?

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Last edited by MasterOfDeath; November 30th, 2010 at 4:08 pm.
Old November 30th, 2010, 4:21 pm
Zonko's Employee

72. What did you think of the movie? Did it live up to your expectations or were you disappointed the trio didn't stay in five star hotels finding another horcrux every other day and making it home for the holidays?

To repeat myself: I like the film a lot but I do think it sags around the middle. Nothing wrong with showing the isolation of the Trio, but that section really drags without moving the narrative forward. This is a turn-off for non-fans, and I think that a big fantasy franchise like this should be wooing non-fans as well as the hardcore fanbase.

73. How many times have you seen the movie so far? Do you plan any more viewings?

Seen it twice so far. Would like to see it at the IMAX if possible. I will certainly see it at least one more time.

74. What did you think of the split-point? How do you feel about the split in general now?

I have revised my opinion of the two-parter to some degree, I think for the most part Yates made this work. So far. But I do think that both parts should have been no longer than two hours.

75. What was your biggest pet peeve about the film?

The story seems to come to a complete stand still half way through, before picking up again. And there is not enough smooth, clear exposition in order to woo the non-fans.

What did you love most about the movie?

Its darkness and intensity. And the acting was great: personal faves being Rickman and Isaacs (naturally!), Peter Mullan as Yaxley ... and Emma did a fine job, especially in the torture scene. Emma really became Canon Hermione for me ... at last!

I liked the score. Somewhat unobtrusive in places, but that's OK. Not every music score has to be like Howard Shore's.

No.

I'm keen to see Part Two.

Old November 30th, 2010, 5:56 pm
Fourth Year

I have no big qualms with the movie. It was basically exactly what I expected and that's good enough for me.

I've seen it twice for far. I think I may be seeing it again tonight? Not too sure yet...

I thought it worked great. It reminded me sort of how Fellowship of the Ring ended. Empire Strikes Back as well. And those are two movies that never had proper endings to their overall stories but are now two of my favourite movies.

75. What was your biggest pet peeve about the film? What did you love most about the movie?

As I previously said, the darkness of the visuals really annoy me with these movies, but most blockbusters seem to go that way right now.

What I loved most was the focus on the trio. I've always thought the movies sacrificed their relationship in order to keep moving the plot along, but I loved how it was basically just the three of them. Since there were no older actions given the chance to walk away with the movie, Dan, Emma and Rupert really had to carry the movie, and I loved that.

It seemed pretty light for a Desplat score. He's usually better than this which was pretty disappointing for me. It's not like it was terrible or anything, but it didn't really stand out. There were some nice moments when Ron was giving his 'ball of light' speech and during Ministry escape, but, other than that I think he should've done better from what I've heard from him in the past.

No. Dobby's death nearly got me in the book, but he's not really a significant character in the movies so...

Yeah, it annoyed me when I saw it for the first time thinking that it was still 8 months away.

Old November 30th, 2010, 5:58 pm
Curse Breaker

I should find time to post my review, but here it is summarized: this was like a "opera highlight's" CD. That is, this film had a lot of very well-done scenes (acting, directing, cinematography, etc.). However, in the end, it was just the sum of its parts: no story (which really is the part of the sum greater than the sum of its parts) ever emerges.
Once. I'll get the Blue Ray.
The split-point was poorly done. The film needed to create an "act" to conclude at the end of the film, had the post-Silver Doe concentrated largely on Harry convincing himself that the Hallows might be the solution to dealing with the Horcruxes and realizing that Voldemort was after one of the Hallows himself. Having Harry finally decide that the Hallows were not the answer and conceding the Wand to Voldemort would have been a good close of an act.

Instead, Harry never considers the Hallows long enough to concede them, and it just sort of ends.

My opinion of the split is unchanged: this could have been a great 3.5 hour film. I will state this, however: it was not as bad as I feared that it would be; it just was not as good as it could have been.
The failure of any story to transcend the narrative. People say "it was about isolation," but it wasn't: Harry was isolated, but this was not like Order where he's wrestling with isolation; it's purely a product of the plot. Rowling's story about hard vs. wrong choices concerning the Greater Good is set up wonderfully by the first 4 scenes, but then dropped, only to be alluded to in passing once later. The film, especially the outset, was overburdened by needless character and dialog (sorry, random Ron brother who doesn't speak again, but I don't care about your werewolf incident! ) Oh, and Dobby: watch The Incredibles; monologuing isn't bad for just bad-guys and film-pacing, you know....

That being said, they did all of the parts wonderfully. Grint really ups his game, and I'm almost convinced that Watson can act. Ironically, although the camping trip dragged terribly, there was real power and poignancy in some of the scenes carried in it. Ron's departure and Godric's Hollow both were beautifully done. The Silver Doe scene might be the single standout scene of the series so far: Radcliffe and Grint both game it as well as Astin and Wood did Mount Doom, and the Horcrux destruction sequence was inspired.
It's a good score. I prefer the tone-poem style of Howard Shore that the last 3 films have used, but Desplat uses Harmony's beautifully, and he creates real mood. Still, I did find myself waiting for melodies to rise up over the music sometimes: it's almost like what the band plays and omitting what the singer sings! What truly struck me was how often they used no soundtrack at all: and I found that really effective.
What do you think this is, Toy Story 3?
78. Does the end of this movie make you crave to see part two
Not really, or at least no more so that I already do: but I'm a Harry Potter fan, so even a Columbus-level film wasn't going to put me off.

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!

Last edited by Wimsey; November 30th, 2010 at 6:57 pm.
Old November 30th, 2010, 6:40 pm
Master of the Magical Arts

I liked the movie overall. There were a few things that bugged me, but on the whole, I think they did a pretty good job.

Once. I doubt I will see it again in the theater, but I will definitely bet getting the DVD when it comes out.

Basically the same as I felt before. I always thought that Dobby's death would be the best place to split the film - the trio being captured was my second choice. My only quibble about the split is that they cut Harry's obsession with the Hallows so part 1 doesn't really feel complete because it doesn't have the natural divide that the book had. Harry's obsession was the most logical plot arc for them to follow for part 1 and I'm not sure why they didn't do that.

Biggest pet peeve - unbelievable "sexual tension". It was completely unnecessary and Dan simply cannot pull that off believably, IMO. Every time they try to add something like this with Dan in these films, he just makes film Harry come across as a misogynistic jerk to me. That was one of the worst scenes in the entire film for me. Another would be the really bad visual effects for the Horcrux Harry and Hermione - it was way too cartoonish so it wasn't the least bit creepy or disturbing to me and that was disappointing. The audience was laughing at that point when they should have been horrified.

I don't know what I loved the most - it's hard to choose. The Seven Potters transformation was well done - though a bit rushed. I really enjoyed the added scene with Harry and Ron - nice to see some focus put on their friendship for a change. I like that they presented Ron's character more accurately this time instead of reducing him to comic relief. Dobby and Kreacher were well done too - especially Dobby. Xenophilius and Luna were really good. And I loved the effect for Hermione's bag of holding - that was awesome.

Honestly, I did not notice the music at all. But coming from me that's a good thing because I typically only notice the music when it's bad and distracts from the film.

I cried when Dobby died.

Just knowing part 1 had been released had me ready to see part 2 as well.

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old November 30th, 2010, 6:51 pm
Malum Veneficus

I loved it, probably my most favourite HP movie, with the least minor number of complaints, .

I didn't think it dragged at all (which seems to be a very common complaint), because actually in the books the Trio spend months on the run, without accomplishing anything.

I've seen it twice already. I'd like to see it a third, but I'm not sure if I have enough time for that.

I don't feel bad about it anymore. I think it made/will make the story much more understandable and easily followed. Had it been made into one movie, I'm sure lots of details would've been left out, who knows, perhaps the whole Deathly Hallows plotline would've been left out, .

Biggest pet peeve: The misplaced humor on more than one instance. I admit I didn't mind the scene where Dobby unscrews the chandlier for the first time, but on my second viewing it felt really wierd, .

Also I didn't like it how some themes have been neglected in the movie. For instance I don't like it that Grindlewald was turned into a vicious person, instead of a regreful one, that Regelus' story of redemption was not included.

What I liked best about the movie, was the acting. I think it's safe to say that DH is the best HP movie acting-wise. I never had any complaints about Emma Watson before, or even Rupert or Dan, but they were just outstanding in this one, they really made me feel for them.
I can't think of a single actor/actress who didn't play their role convincingly (well, admitedly that's a bit of an exaggeration, but..) Ralph Fiennes, Jason Isaacs along with Emma Watson come on the top of my list, .

I just loved it. I thought the music in each scene was very consistant with what was happening. It was very fitting, imo. My favourites would be the Elder Wand and the Ministry of Magic.

At Godric's Hollow when Harry was standing by his parents' graves. I think it could've been made more emotional, but still it was amazing and got me tearful the two times I watched the movie.

Definitely. I was literally having difficulty keeping in my place by the end of Part 1 .

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old November 30th, 2010, 7:21 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopophorousBean View Post
The mention of Percy in this thread reminded me that I was hoping for some explanation of Percy's absence from the wedding, since the storyline of his disowning his family was cut from the films. I know he'll be in part 2, Chris Rankin talks quite a bit about it on his twitter but I was hoping there'd be a moment that would set up the fact he's now estranged from his family. Also, no mention of Charile at the wedding, and he has been mentioned in the films but I suppose you could assume he was at the wedding in the background
It's good to hear that Percy is going to be in Part 2 but honestly I hope they just ignore that whole subplot and just have him in as another fighter for Hogwarts. The last thing this movie needs is another random thrown in subplot with no explanation just to appease the book fans; we have enough of that with the mirror and Bill/Fleur's wedding.

Old November 30th, 2010, 7:32 pm
Registered Animagus

It passed my expectations with flying colors. Loved it so much.

Seen it twice. Will I see it again? Perhaps.

I thought it was the perfect spot for it. It is a good stopping place.

The really short visions of Voldemort. To short to let it sink in.

Loved it! Obliviate was awesome with the beginning. And I really truly love "O Children" by Nick Cave. Set the tone for the dance perfectly.

Almost during the beginning with Hermione, as well as Hermione's reaction when Ron left, and when Dobby died. Almost. Came close, eyes felt wet.

Yes! So very much! Bring it on!!!

Old November 30th, 2010, 7:36 pm
Second Year

I really liked it! I thought it moved right along and didn't feel long to me at all. The focus on the trio was great!

3 times! I would see it again, but I think my hubby and kids already think I've gone over the edge.

I always thought this was where it should be split, so I of course loved it! It sets up part 2 quite well. Adding V getting the wand adds in enough suspense without being a huge cliffhanger. A reason to come back and see what will happen. (I hope)

Needed to set up H/G better. Harry does seem to forget all about her. Not really that big of a deal to me but would have been easy to do.

I'm not one to notice music much. If I notice it too much, that means I'm not paying attention to the movie. There were only a couple of parts where I really noticed and it worked for me.

I teared up a few times. I think knowing the story made it more emotional for me.

I left thinking that 8 months seemed very far away! So yes! I want to see how they handle the 2nd part since I really loved this one.

Old November 30th, 2010, 7:36 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherD View Post
YES! HBP in particular is so visually dark that we can't watch it in the daytime because we can't make our living room dark enough to see what's going on. I didn't think DH was too bad, but the Malfoy Manor scenes were pretty visually dark--were there other scenes? I'm having a hard time recalling.
I also have this problem. I think there was an improvement with this in DH, but the color wasn't quite as good as it could have been, but fine.

Old November 30th, 2010, 7:40 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post

The really short visions of Voldemort. To short to let it sink in.

Loved it! Obliviate was awesome with the beginning. And I really truly love "O Children" by Nick Cave. Set the tone for the dance perfectly.
Yeah, the visions were too quick and probably confusing. THough, my hubby got that they were just trying to relay the elder wand theory, so I guess that may be all they need?

I don't notice the music too much in general, but I did love "O Children". It fit perfect.