Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Discussion: Deathly Hallows Movie Part One

Old December 5th, 2010, 9:06 pm
Third Year

Re: Deathly Hallows Part 1 - Open Discussion v.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
I noticed something on my second viewing that annoyed me a bit; I didn't like Harry's reaction to Fleur's (as well as Bill's) unexpected appearance and sudden co-operation with the Order. Harry and Fleur greeted each other quite casually for two who have not seen each other in years, and Harry doesn't show the slightest surprise at her return.

Of course I'm glad they stuck to the book, but I'm sure it must seem really wierd for non-readers.
Ah but when Harry was at the Burrow in HBP, they were standing just round the corner and never quite made it into shot or thats what I like to think anyway.

Its hard to imagine how many of the lesser characters the non-readers would actually keep up with. I would imagine they probably recognise most of them by sight, but possibly not anymore than that, its only once in a while that half of these minor characters are mentioned by name.

CONSTANT VIGILANCE,If It Has To Come To Force,Then It Will
You Have To Be Prepared For What Your Up Against!!
What Are Your Strengths?
Sponsored Links
Old December 5th, 2010, 9:12 pm
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
But they weren't...Harry is playing with a man astride a horse toy. I don't see any horse toy in DH...
There were also soldier figures - he had about 6 or 7 figures in PS/SS. Two of them were horses, the others were what my brother always called "little men".

Harry playing with toys:    

In DH the shot focuses on one of the soldier figures, but you can see there are other figures knocked over as well. One of them is big enough to be one of the horses, but it's in the shadows so it's hard to tell. It looked like the same toys to me.

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old December 5th, 2010, 9:49 pm
First Year

OMG! I watched it for the second time this evening and some things appear to be different from the opening night version!

In this one Dobby didn't say a word when unscrewing the chandelier, only Bellatrix said something. Is it so usually? Had the impression Dobby said something funny at that moment? If it really changed I find it better this way.

Also it seemed they changed the place of the scene when Voldemort learns where is the wand from Grindelwald. I thought it appeared just before Voldemort headed for Dumbledore's grave but here it appeared before, I think before the snatchers got them( though I think he always tells Hermione about the fact Voldemort would get the wand at that moment...). If it's true I also think it's better because it doesn't give so much the impression they changed that part of the story to gain time...

And it also seems they just changed the title at then end, it's a bit like the adult Deathly Allows cover, with some green in it and there was also the deathly allows symbol flying around before staying as one of the letters( the A I believe).

Would find it incredible if it's true they can just change some of those scenes while it's still in the cinemas^^ But might also be wrong because I watched it for the first time two weeks ago...

Old December 5th, 2010, 10:58 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelremains View Post
OMG! I watched it for the second time this evening and some things appear to be different from the opening night version!

In this one Dobby didn't say a word when unscrewing the chandelier, only Bellatrix said something. Is it so usually? Had the impression Dobby said something funny at that moment? If it really changed I find it better this way.

Also it seemed they changed the place of the scene when Voldemort learns where is the wand from Grindelwald. I thought it appeared just before Voldemort headed for Dumbledore's grave but here it appeared before, I think before the snatchers got them( though I think he always tells Hermione about the fact Voldemort would get the wand at that moment...). If it's true I also think it's better because it doesn't give so much the impression they changed that part of the story to gain time...

And it also seems they just changed the title at then end, it's a bit like the adult Deathly Allows cover, with some green in it and there was also the deathly allows symbol flying around before staying as one of the letters( the A I believe).

Would find it incredible if it's true they can just change some of those scenes while it's still in the cinemas^^ But might also be wrong because I watched it for the first time two weeks ago...
Movies cant be changed when its released in cinemas, you noticed things that you didnt notice in your first viewing. It has happened to me too. Even in my third viewing, I would still see little things.

Old December 6th, 2010, 12:23 am
Second Year

I was so sad for Hedwig. That really made my stomach turn. The image of her falling was just awful.

The dance bit with Harry and Hermione was unexpected but sorta cute. I liked Ron's jealousy a lot. The nude Harry Hermione I felt was exploitive though.

I like Bellatrix but Helena plays her a little too over the top if that is possible. She sorta hams it up all the time, I will be pleased when Molly does away with her. :P

Old December 6th, 2010, 12:28 am
Second Year

72. What did you think of the movie? Did it live up to your expectations or were you disappointed the trio didn't stay in five star hotels finding another horcrux every other day and making it home for the holidays?

This question actually made me laugh.
Erm, I think that saying I loved it would be a bit strong, but I did really, really like it. It wasn't as cinematically interesting/inspiring as my two favourite movies in the series - PoA and HBP - but the acting and characterisation were a real strong point.

73. How many times have you seen the movie so far? Do you plan any more viewings?

Twice. I'll probably see it once more in the cinema - probably some dismal day in January, when I'm feeling down, and I'll think, "Oh yeah, Harry Potter's still on at the cinema, even if it is really depressing. It's the right kind of depressing." haha

74. What did you think of the split-point? How do you feel about the split in general now?

I thought it was pretty good. I agree with what others have said about missing the Horcruxes vs. Hallows conflict. I wish Harry had had his epiphany during Dobby's burial, which was the main function of Dobby's death, plotwise. The lack of epiphany took away from the significance of this death and its huge impact on Harry, IMO. Hopefully, we'll get something in the next film, but it seems a bit late now.

75. What was your biggest pet peeve about the film? What did you love most about the movie?

Biggest pet peeve: the omission of the scene in my signature - Harry and Ron's moving post-horcrux heart-to-heart. Yet again, whoever is responsible for these things (Kloves, Yates, who knows?) failed to show that Ron is Harry's best best friend, his bff. You get a clear sense from this film that Ron would do anything for Harry, but not of Harry's great love for Ron, nor his enormous joy at his return. Harry in the book was overjoyed and deeply thankful when Ron came back, but in the film, he comes across as ungrateful and cold - even annoyed. The most he can say to the guy who's been his best friend since they were 11 is, "So why'd you come back?" I felt that the movie missed a major emotional beat there; the cut to the next scene was jarring. I waited three years to see this moment, but clearly the moviemakers do not much value the Ron/Harry friendship.

I also felt that Malfoy Manor was a bit of an anticlimactic flop, although it had a lot of potential.

Oh, this is a minor complaint, but I found Bill Nighy's acting really hammy.

What I loved most? Emma Watson, and, to a lesser extent, Rupert Grint and Daniel Radcliffe. They carried the film amazingly well. The use of the amazing song, "O Children", and Harry and Hermione's dance. In fact, I loved all the camping scenes. The entire Ministry sequence was superb. Godric's Hollow. Harry and Ron's fight - so well-acted and convincing. How short the film seemed. Well, I loved a lot. But Emma stole the film, IMO.

76. What did you think of the music in context of the film?

I liked it, particularly when they were escaping from the ministry

77. Did you cry at anytime during the movie?

Yes, when Harry was at his parents' grave.
Dobby's death was ruined for me the first time I saw it by people - including my mum and gran! - laughing. I couldn't believe it. The second time I saw it, I just found it a bit cringey and overdone, tbh. :/ I don't think the treatment of Dobby in the film series warranted such a dramatic death scene; it just felt a bit ridiculous to me. However, the scene in the book literally had me in floods of tears. I think that the book's simple, "Harry...Potter..." was much more effective. And Harry's internal monologue, which was obviously not in the film, was the main thing that made the scene so very moving.

78. Does the end of this movie make you crave to see part two?

lol It's the final HP movie! I really don't need much persuading!

Huge credit to the AMAZING reallycorking for this gorgeous siggy pic.

'"You've sort of made up for it tonight," said Harry. "Getting the sword. Finishing off the Horcrux. Saving my life."
"That makes me sound a lot cooler than I was," Ron mumbled.
"Stuff like that always sounds cooler than it really was, " said Harry. "I've been trying to tell you that for years."
Simultaneously they walked forwards and hugged, Harry gripping the still sopping back of Ron's jacket.' (DH, UK edition, p. 308)

Best Ron/Hermione fanvid EVER: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wSvadXodV0
Old December 6th, 2010, 1:34 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby View Post
[b]
75. What was your biggest pet peeve about the film? What did you love most about the movie?

Biggest pet peeve: the omission of the scene in my signature - Harry and Ron's moving post-horcrux heart-to-heart. Yet again, whoever is responsible for these things (Kloves, Yates, who knows?) failed to show that Ron is Harry's best best friend, his bff. You get a clear sense from this film that Ron would do anything for Harry, but not of Harry's great love for Ron, nor his enormous joy at his return. Harry in the book was overjoyed and deeply thankful when Ron came back, but in the film, he comes across as ungrateful and cold - even annoyed. The most he can say to the guy who's been his best friend since they were 11 is, "So why'd you come back?" I felt that the movie missed a major emotional beat there; the cut to the next scene was jarring. I waited three years to see this moment, but clearly the moviemakers do not much value the Ron/Harry friendship.
I'm waiting for part 2 before I judge how the filmmakers deal with the Ron/Harry friendship. I've not got a great deal of hope though if I'm honest after 7 films of it not being done justice. Ron's return didn't have to be quite like in the books but the movie just didn't do it justice at all. I watched it for the second time tonight, when they get back to the tent he does seem really happy which went some way to making up for the first moments but they jump to destroying the locket too quickly. I was also very annoyed - perhaps more than at anything else, not that there was that much to be annoyed at - that Ron didn't give Harry a dressing down for not taking the locket off. In the book I love it because it's one of the few moments when Harry isn't shown to be so absolutely ****ing perfect. Ron is the smart one on this issue. In the film he just has the line "are you mental" which is ambiguous and could simply be referring to jumping into the pond. I guess this is my biggest pet peeve of the movie.

Along with the escape from Malfoy manor obviously, Dobby's bits were made too funny. Wait...they tried to make them funny. Saved by the way Hermione is holding onto Ron but only just, as well as the other Ron/Hermione moments in this bit.

Last edited by fishorchips; December 6th, 2010 at 1:39 am.
Old December 6th, 2010, 2:49 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldus View Post
As much as I like Dobby, I agree that the shift in tone didn't work well. The sequence could have been more exciting if Lucius actually touched the mark and summoned Voldemort and the escape was intercut with Voldemort streaking towards the Manor. The only badly directed scene in the film, IMO.
Yes I agree. Even after the 3rd viewing it did not grow on me. It was such a desperate, intense sequence in the book. In the movie, it just did not have that urgency. I think dobby showed up too quickly. I think the hermione bellatrix portion should have been longer and, yes, that voldemort should have been on his way already.

Old December 6th, 2010, 3:20 am
Second Year

When I saw the movie today, I noticed a window in Harry's mirror shard just before he sees the silver doe.

Old December 6th, 2010, 3:50 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_is_might View Post
Like someone else said, it'll be both

Maybe a combo pack too, like for HBP, I got the DVD/Blu-Ray edition so when I actually do get a Blu-Ray player, I'll already have Blu-Ray.
lol. we have a blu-ray player but our bluray is inglorious *******s. hopefully we can get this harry potter on bluray and dvd combo pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_is_might View Post
Like someone else said, it'll be both

Maybe a combo pack too, like for HBP, I got the DVD/Blu-Ray edition so when I actually do get a Blu-Ray player, I'll already have Blu-Ray.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishorchips View Post
I'm waiting for part 2 before I judge how the filmmakers deal with the Ron/Harry friendship. I've not got a great deal of hope though if I'm honest after 7 films of it not being done justice. Ron's return didn't have to be quite like in the books but the movie just didn't do it justice at all. I watched it for the second time tonight, when they get back to the tent he does seem really happy which went some way to making up for the first moments but they jump to destroying the locket too quickly. I was also very annoyed - perhaps more than at anything else, not that there was that much to be annoyed at - that Ron didn't give Harry a dressing down for not taking the locket off. In the book I love it because it's one of the few moments when Harry isn't shown to be so absolutely ****ing perfect. Ron is the smart one on this issue. In the film he just has the line "are you mental" which is ambiguous and could simply be referring to jumping into the pond. I guess this is my biggest pet peeve of the movie.

Along with the escape from Malfoy manor obviously, Dobby's bits were made too funny. Wait...they tried to make them funny. Saved by the way Hermione is holding onto Ron but only just, as well as the other Ron/Hermione moments in this bit.
i have to agree with this entirequote. especially the part about harry being sooooo perrrrrfect!!!!!!!!

Old December 6th, 2010, 3:58 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeyducks View Post
Movies cant be changed when its released in cinemas, you noticed things that you didnt notice in your first viewing. It has happened to me too. Even in my third viewing, I would still see little things.
Films can be changed, but they rarely are. For example, changing a film after release is supposed to disqualify it from Oscar consideration (not that DH1 is in danger of that!). This came up 9 years ago, as Peter Jackson & Co. did not stick the extended "trailer" for The Two Towers on the end of Fellowship until after the Oscars, supposedly for this very reason.

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old December 6th, 2010, 4:02 am
Second Year

I am pleased they split at Malfoy manor like I had hoped but I felt with all the creative liberties they take they could have pumped up the action more. The running through the woods looked like Twilight to me and the fight in Malfoy Manor could have had some extra over the top action moments maybe.

Forgive but I forgot just what Voldy is doing with the Elder wand in the last moments of this first half when he shoots it up.

Old December 6th, 2010, 5:20 am
Sixth Year

Someone told me that those childhood photos at the beginning are really Emma Watson's photos. She was an adorable kid

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86

Last edited by magic_is_might; December 6th, 2010 at 5:23 am.
Old December 6th, 2010, 7:45 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey View Post
Films can be changed, but they rarely are. For example, changing a film after release is supposed to disqualify it from Oscar consideration (not that DH1 is in danger of that!). This came up 9 years ago, as Peter Jackson & Co. did not stick the extended "trailer" for The Two Towers on the end of Fellowship until after the Oscars, supposedly for this very reason.
I also thought it might be possible, especially now movies can be distributed digitally. If it's been changed we must talk about in via owls then , you never know about Oscars ha ha

Am pretty sure Dobby used to say something stupid like "Don't pay attention to me..."or something...

Old December 6th, 2010, 11:27 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeSinister View Post
I was so sad for Hedwig. That really made my stomach turn. The image of her falling was just awful.

The dance bit with Harry and Hermione was unexpected but sorta cute. I liked Ron's jealousy a lot. The nude Harry Hermione I felt was exploitive though.

I like Bellatrix but Helena plays her a little too over the top if that is possible. She sorta hams it up all the time, I will be pleased when Molly does away with her. :P
I agree about Bellatrix. Helena sort of forgot how to play her in this one. She had it spot on in Order of the Phoenix, but from the lag time between the films she sort of let that Bellatrix go and created a new one. The Bellatrix just released from Azkaban in the Ministry was real sly and even though she was still obviously unhinged, she seemed menacing about it. In this film she seemed spastic and childish. Not villain like. She was still pretty scary though. But I definitely prefer the Bellatrix from Order of the Phoenix.

I guess if you really analyzed it, the change sort of makes sense though. When she is broken out of Azkaban and is first getting assignments from Voldemort she has a reason to have an ego, hence the coolness and slyness. But as time goes on, her sister's predicament and her longing to please Voldemort has made her a little more desperate and it shows through the way she conducts herself.

We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on.
-Albus Dumbledore

Old December 6th, 2010, 6:50 pm
Second Year

72. What did you think of the movie? Did it live up to your expectations or were you disappointed the trio didn't stay in five star hotels finding another horcrux every other day and making it home for the holidays?

"I thought the film was great in many places, but on the whole I wasn´t equally satisfied. I thoroughly enjoyed how they worked with Hermione´s story and her relation to Ron, the muggle-born theme, breaking into the Ministry of Magic and the isolation of the trio.

I didn´t really enjoy the amount of exposition, though, or how they applied it in the film, or the fact that the film stuck a bit too much to the structure of the book. I also thought it was a pity that the tension related to Dumbledore´s back story was shunted to the side and seemed to be left for part II, (where it will hark back, I´m sure to the question about the Greater Good from Ron´s and Harry´s scene outside the Burrow).

But really it´s very difficult to judge the merits of this film before you´ve seen Part II. Several of the themes presented in the film appear to be introduced more as a set up for crucial events in part II.

73. How many times have you seen the movie so far? Do you plan any more viewings?

I´ve seen it twice. Once with friends in a big theatre with lots of teenagers, once alone in a fairly small theatre with a greater percentage of families.
Since the film is so physical it really makes a stronger impression in a smaller theatre.

I´m probably going to see it once more in theatres.

74. What did you think of the split-point? How do you feel about the split in general now?

I think the split point was where it needed to be; non-readers will now seriously wonder how Voldemort can be defeated since he has the Elder Wand.

"75. What was your biggest pet peeve about the film? What did you love most about the movie?"

My biggest pet peeve about the film would probably be the lack of emphasis on Dumbledore´s back story.

I absolutely loved how they worked Hermione´s particular predicament into the story. Watching her wiping her parents memories and how she reflected on this later in the film was extremely powerful.

76. What did you think of the music in context of the film?

I enjoyed it and I think it fits the film since it often stays in the background. But I haven´t given a lot of thought to the music in itself as yet.

77. Did you cry at anytime during the movie?

I almost cried when Dobby died on my second viewing.

Old December 6th, 2010, 9:02 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeSinister View Post
Forgive but I forgot just what Voldy is doing with the Elder wand in the last moments of this first half when he shoots it up.
I think he's just celebrating that he has it, thinking that now he can kill Harry and be truly invincible.

Old December 7th, 2010, 12:11 am
Second Year

Further to the Harry and Ron in DH1 thing, they were the only pairing in the trio not to get a movie poster together....

Also, I think that the filmmakers missed a nice opportunity for some parallelism. In the book, Harry shoulders Ron's discarded rucksack post horcrux-destruction, just as Ron picks up Harry's after he confronts him outside the Burrow in the film. It would have been nice if they had included Harry's action from the book, because it would have shown the role-reversal that these two characters go through: from Harry being the weary hero and Ron the supporter, to the other way round (if only for a brief period in DH).

Huge credit to the AMAZING reallycorking for this gorgeous siggy pic.

'"You've sort of made up for it tonight," said Harry. "Getting the sword. Finishing off the Horcrux. Saving my life."
"That makes me sound a lot cooler than I was," Ron mumbled.
"Stuff like that always sounds cooler than it really was, " said Harry. "I've been trying to tell you that for years."
Simultaneously they walked forwards and hugged, Harry gripping the still sopping back of Ron's jacket.' (DH, UK edition, p. 308)

Best Ron/Hermione fanvid EVER: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wSvadXodV0
Old December 7th, 2010, 12:54 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby View Post
Further to the Harry and Ron in DH1 thing, they were the only pairing in the trio not to get a movie poster together....

Also, I think that the filmmakers missed a nice opportunity for some parallelism. In the book, Harry shoulders Ron's discarded rucksack post horcrux-destruction, just as Ron picks up Harry's after he confronts him outside the Burrow in the film. It would have been nice if they had included Harry's action from the book, because it would have shown the role-reversal that these two characters go through: from Harry being the weary hero and Ron the supporter, to the other way round (if only for a brief period in DH).
I know, I thought the exact same thing. They must have liked the idea of the rucksack thing but they turned it around for some reason. Weird. Part 2 please make sure the Ron/Harry friendship is dealt with a little more! I had high hopes when at the beginning Ron is actually the first to greet Harry, a nice change I thought. But after that...after the wedding I actually felt as though Rupert and Dan had probably been instructed to try to insert some tension between their characters well prior to getting the locket. Ties in with the movie posters thing a little. Wonder if it was intentional? I did wonder if the filmmakers might attempt to push the "trust no one" stuff but the film didn't seem to bother taking it further than Lupin asking Harry about grindylows. I know a very small number of people felt the "show some respect for you-know-who" stuff in the book was there to make you suspect Ron but I thought all he meant by that was show some respect for the fact that this guy would tear us to shreds given half the chance.

Last edited by fishorchips; December 7th, 2010 at 1:08 am.
Old December 7th, 2010, 2:26 am
First Year

Ok I went to see the DH for a second time this weekend and watched more closely at some parts. I did notice that Moody's eye was still on the door of Unbridges office when Harry left. I could have sworn he had taken it off. Then at the part before Snape makes his patronus I swear I do hear his saying "Trust me" like someone on here said. Now maybe I just wanted to hear this, not sure but it gave me chills. I definatley liked it even better the second time too. A better quieter crowd too. I am just so impressed with the acting in this one. I do believe these 3 have improved tremendously in the last 2 films.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies