Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Reviews

View Poll Results: What did you think of The Deathly Hallows
"O" Outstanding. It played out like nothing I expected. 378 47.07%
"E" Exceeds Expectations. Great story. I was engrossed. 282 35.12%
"A" Acceptable. Predictable but enjoyable none-the-less. 94 11.71%
"P" Poor. I just couldn't get into it. 4 0.50%
"D" Dreadful. I'm really dissapointed. A bad end to what was a great story. 23 2.86%
"T" Troll. Proving once and for all that I am past Harry Potter. 1 0.12%
"£$%&" It is a horcrux and must be destroyed! 9 1.12%
Other (please state) 12 1.49%
Voters: 803. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 12th, 2007, 9:37 pm
First Year

Re: Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Reviews

This book certainly answered many questions i had, though it created a few more. From the moment i purchased it i could not put it down, and it forced me into a puddle of tears till the very end. J.K Rowling definatly finished the series with a good-old fashion, page-turning ending.

Weasley is our king
Weasley is our king
he never lets the quaffel in
Weasley is our king
Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2007, 6:02 am
Fourth Year

It was an enjoyable read, although I think I managed to spoil it for myself by reading all sorts of theories here at CoS. Quite a few of those theories turned out to be well-founded, and as a result I wasn't surprised by some of the bigger "gotchas" of the book, as I suspect I was meant to be. I'm also a big enough HP geek that I was a bit miffed when some minor plot promises didn't manifest themselves in the final book (who was the person who managed to do magic late in life under desperate circumstances?, &c.), but it works well enough even without all the ends neatly tied up.

Old August 13th, 2007, 11:12 am
Second Year

The book did answers many questions but raised a few more, which immediatley after reading the book were annoying but now after some time is ok as it keeps the theories on the forum going, so hopefully the HP world will continue for many years yet.

I have to admit I did find the Epiloge a bit of a let down, not the best way to finish the BEST series of books EVER written. So hopefully if the encylpodia (sp) does come out it will make up for it.

There is no protection against love once it has chosen to exert its power

HISTORY IS NOT WHAT HAPPENED, HISTORY IS WHAT WAS WRITTEN DOWN!
Old August 13th, 2007, 1:09 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pirate King View Post
I'm also a big enough HP geek that I was a bit miffed when some minor plot promises didn't manifest themselves in the final book (who was the person who managed to do magic late in life under desperate circumstances?, &c.), but it works well enough even without all the ends neatly tied up.
I asked myself the same question, who indeed?

Weasley is our king
Weasley is our king
he never lets the quaffel in
Weasley is our king
Old August 13th, 2007, 7:52 pm
Second Year

I wasn't completely wowed by the ending the first time around, although I really liked it - I thought it was simplistic - , but the second time I really was impressed by how everything worked out.

I think I read somewhere after the release that she'd said there would be the person to do magic late in life under desperate circumstances early on, then revised it out. Not sure, though.

Old August 14th, 2007, 12:16 am
First Year

Discussion: The Deathly Hallows

Unfortunately, I don't share the same enthusiasm as most of you. I was sorely disappointed with Deathly Hallows. JK did such a brilliant job developing numerous characters in the past 6 books, that I was looking for this book to wrap it all up, nice and tidy. What I got instead was the Dursley's go "somewhere" and who knows, Harry spends some time at the Weasley's for a wedding and his B-day, and then a whole lot of disapperating here and there. Finally, there's a big battle and Harry wins predictably. The epilogue throws us a tiny bone by showing us the 3 main characters 19 years later....thanks. To end such a phenominal series with that book...I want more. What happened to the Death Eaters? the Ministry?...who became the new Headmaster? and all that. Additionally, I think that Ginny should have been more of a main character in this book to balance the Ron and Hermoine thing. Oh well, I'll be the one fan that was not a fan of this book.

Old August 14th, 2007, 12:30 am
Third Year

I do have to say the first time through I was a bit disapponted. I felt like there was, once again, so much time wasted in the first two-thirds of the book and everything good crammed into the last third of the book. All of the answers were not given (although she has since answered them in interviews) and I really hoped they would be in the book. I have printed some of them out and put them in my book because long after they are gone I will want the answers to what happened.

I just felt like I got an appetizer and I wanted a full meal. I am reading it for the second time and it is enjoyable now my expectations are more in line with what is in the book. I loved the end, the last couple of chapters were fabulous and so creative.

Proud member of Ravenclaw
Old August 14th, 2007, 1:11 am
First Year

Re: Disappointed in the book....

Karma Police...I could not agree with you more. Now I know that I am not the only fan that was disappointed. After reading the other posts, I thought to myself, "Self, what book did everyone else read?" But, now I feel justified.

As I posted in another thread somewhere...having a hard time navigating this site....I thought JK should have had Ginny as more of a main character in DH to balance the Ron and Hermoine thing (three's a crowd). As for your questions about what happened to everyone else, I have those same questions. It's almost as if JK is leaving herself room to write another book should she have the inkling. I know she said that this was the last...but come on...you can't leave that many questions out there. It's almost as if she got tire of writing and wondered how she could kick out a 700page book without really writing anything that we wouldn't have expected.

Old August 14th, 2007, 1:18 am
First Year

I loved this book!!!! It ties for my favorite with POA. It was so sad though, I wished Jo didn't have Fred, Lupin, or Tonks die. Fred would probably be needed at Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes. And Lupin and Tonks had a son, it's just so sad that they both died! The Hogwarts battle was amazing!!!!! Harry defeating Voldemort was terrific!!!! And I loved the last line of the last chapter "And quite honestly, I've had enough trouble for a lifetime". As I said, I loved this book!!!!!!!!!

For the fallen heros, I cry.

Gryffindor Forever
Old August 14th, 2007, 1:34 am
First Year

This is my second favorite book. It's very close though. I can't believe she killed off some of the characters that she did. She should not have killed Fred. He's in my top five favorite characters. Most of the things I thought would happen did. I'm very glad that it did. But there are things I wish wouldn't have happened.

"I just want to be with you; isn't that enough?"
Old August 15th, 2007, 2:58 am
Third Year

I thought Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was amazing. A great end to the series. Quite a few things that I had predicted, happened, but alot of unpredicted things happened as well.
As for the whole Snape loved Lily thing, i read the theories for months on cos forums, but didn't want to believe them. To see the relationship actually on print, and to learn of the depth of it, was amazing.
"The Prince's Tale" was my favourite chapter of the whole entire series for sure.

There is just so much to say, and I can go on and on about the amazing plot details, devastating deaths, and shocking revelations.
But I don't think there is any need to because the story speaks for itself. Never in my life have I read a book that made me feel such a wide variety of emotions. I laughed during the Fred and George moments, balled my eyes out during the deaths like i lost a member of my family, and have grown with the characters throughout the series.
I first started reading Harry Potter when I was 11, when before then the only thing i read was "Mary kate and Ashley Adventures. " I have definetly come a long way since then. I love reading and Harry Potter has shown me that.
It is very very sad to see the series end, but i will continue re-reading them until the day i die. Well, i hope.

Old August 15th, 2007, 10:44 am
First Year

The book kept me engrossed since the moment I opened to chapter one till the end. It really exceedeed my expectations, it was highly adventourous especially near the end when I was on the edge of my seat with worry (or bed) about who was going to die and live.

The only thing I was bit miffed about was the whole Snape and Lilly relationship. It wasn't what I was expecting to be honest. But it did answer alot of questions about Snape's behaviour especially his own friendship with Dumbledore.

The epilogue was beautifully written and I did shed a tear, it was just so perfect a way to end the story.

Old August 15th, 2007, 10:49 am
Sixth Year

I was certainly engrossed throughout the book, and if it hadn't been for the ending, which I found a little disappointing, it would have become my favourite of the series.

Old August 15th, 2007, 3:56 pm
First Year

Somewhere between an "A" and an "E" for me

I wouldn't exactly call it 'predictable' - yeah I did expect some things (a few because I accidently saw some spoilers), but it didn't reduce my enjoyment of it or anything.

I personally didn't like the epilogue - mainly because I'm bitter that we rarely get to stick with our first love, have kids with them, are married to them, etc!

Overally though I liked it and read quite a few chapters at a time, finishing it within a few nights of reading.

Old August 16th, 2007, 11:46 am
First Year

I would say that I was totally engrossed with the book I just couldn't believe how the story finished especially since there was no mention of it in earlier books, whereas the hocruxes peaked into the second book.
I also think that the epilogue was completely unnecessary because it gives me so much more questions to ask but I'm obviously not going to get any answers since it was the last of its series.

Old August 16th, 2007, 5:41 pm
Third Year

I just finished reading Dh again, and i loved it even more, and understood it better. (I finished it for the first time at 4:30 in the morning, so i wasn't fully awake)
I am soooo sad that Harry Potter is over.
I cried sooooo much.
When Dobby died (balled my eyes out)
When they visited Godrics Hallow and Harry saw him parent's graves
when Fred died (but not that much)
When Harry thought he was going to die
When Harry's parents, Lupin and Sirius came out of the ring.
and when i finished the book and realised that it's over.

Also during the chapter "The battle of Hogwarts" i felt like (i don't know exactly what word to use) but like so proud and happy in a way, that Hogwarts was fightning back, and everyone was on Harry's side (besides death eaters of course) I loved how basically every living character was in the final battle.
I didn't find the epilogue to be that corny the second time around.
Now i finally understood why she made Harry live, so he can have a family of his own, something that he was deprived of growing up.
Can't wait for the movie.

Old August 18th, 2007, 12:47 am
Second Year

Amazing. That sums it up.

Old August 21st, 2007, 7:19 pm
Fifth Year

I gave it outstanding - it really did play out like nothing I expected. I always thought that the "Snape loved Lily" and "Harry is a Horcrux" theories were wrong - too far-fetched and at the same time too obvious - so they were both a surprise. None of us worked out what the deathly hallows were or that the symbol was the symbol of the deathly hallows. We met loads of new people and there was such a great plot. I thought Snape was good, but it made my head hurt to try and work out how, but the book explained it. The only bad bit of the book was the epilogue, and it was, anyway, so far detached from the books as to have no impact on my overall enjoyment of DH.

"Six years ter the day since we met, Harry, d'yeh remember it?"
"Vaguely...didn't you smash down the front door, give Dudley a pig's tail and tell me I was a wizard?"
"I forge' the details."

Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:21 pm
Sixth Year

It's my favorite of the series. I re-read it last week, and it held up just as well after a second reading. Could have done with a little less of the camping out scenes, though.

90s Kids' Shows Part 2
Old August 23rd, 2007, 3:34 am
Sixth Year

Loved the book so i gave it an 'O.' Not my fav. book tho (OotP!) But they rate 'bout the same.

Not what i expected, i thought Harry was goin back to Hogwarts. But i was pleased nonetheless (Hermione and Ron kissed!!!) My favorite scenes are when Ron 'comes crawling back' and Hermione goes off on him.

The scene at Malfoy Manor and the Battle at Hogwarts, and when Harry saw Snape's memories... That Snape really loved Lily... I was sad when he died... ...

I had to reread it again to fully understand it (the first time, i finished it 4:30 in the morning and i was quite drowsy). I was a bit dissapointed in the epilogue. I thought JKR would make it quite long seeing as how it is the end to her famous character. (Hugo?).

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives