Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

NBA Basketball

Old August 28th, 2007, 8:18 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

NBA Basketball

Alright, so I'm a sports nut

Anyways, starting a general basketball thread. I see there's an old thread on NCAA hoops, so I'll keep to NBA hoops for now.

Originally from Boston here, so I'm excited about the Celtics moves. The window may be open for only a couple years, but they have a chance for a bit then they'll completely rebuild. I like that plan better than "let's try to make the playoffs" every year.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2007, 12:42 am
Fifth Year

Re: Basketball thread

I've been a clippers fan forever and am really devastated at the news elton brand and shaun livingston will be out for the majority of the season

I too think the Celtics will do good this year, though not really as good as their glory days

Old August 29th, 2007, 1:33 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmcminn View Post
I've been a clippers fan forever and am really devastated at the news elton brand and shaun livingston will be out for the majority of the season

I too think the Celtics will do good this year, though not really as good as their glory days
I'm a closet Clips fan, too - I like the underdog. It started even before Bill Simmons got season tix for the Clips. That is very unfortunate for the Clips - though if they pull through in playoff position, adding those two guys in late could have a positive long-term impact. However, it's equally likely that the team will tank, IMO.

No one will ever be as good as the Celts "glory days". The Bulls came closest in the 90's, but even that can't match the Russell / etc run. I don't think they'll win the title - even with their big 3 and a good supporting cast they don't match the Spurs or Suns or Dallas - but I think they're a good (50/50) shot of a NBA finals appearance in one of the next 3 seasons.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Old August 29th, 2007, 7:49 pm
Fifth Year

Clippers are my #1 team too. They train near my alma mater I really expected them to do better last year though. The injuries... looks like 07-08 isn't going to be too promising.

As for the Celts, it looks like they'll have a good run if they play well together.

Old August 31st, 2007, 7:04 am
Knower of things

See also the NCAA Basketball thread

Old August 31st, 2007, 2:21 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liselle View Post
See also the NCAA Basketball thread
I saw that one...i suppose i should relabel this "NBA basketball"

Old August 31st, 2007, 10:54 pm
Fifth Year

Re: NBA Basketball

Also, the Celtics have really old-fashioned uniforms. Or did they update them along with their roster?

Old August 31st, 2007, 11:01 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowPoofBall View Post
Also, the Celtics have really old-fashioned uniforms. Or did they update them along with their roster?
No idea. I know they got cheerleaders or dancers or whatever for the first time last year, but I don't know if they've updated the uniforms. Not being in the same city makes it harder to keep up with that .

Old October 5th, 2007, 1:58 pm
Superman

I must say I am looking forward to the new season. It always starts just in time to distract me from uni study

Ronald Weasley is Harry's best friend, best known to his peers as living proof that God doesn't exist.

Hermione Granger is Harry's other friend. She possesses the "plot device", a mystical artifact famed for its ability to counter the feared Wryter's Block.

Ginny Weasley The girl Harry loves. Without her, Harry would have been just as emo in the sixth book as he was in the fifth book.

Source: Uncyclopedia
Old October 8th, 2007, 6:40 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

NBA.com has a lot of new Celtics video from Media Day and the preseason game on Saturday, if you guys are interested.

I'm so excited- I'm going to see the Mavericks play the Wizards on Saturday and my tickets are right at the end of the court! When I actually get to see the Mavs live on the court, I'm sure I'm going to lose my mind. My hopes include Avery going as crazy as I imagine him being, Diop blocking every shot possible (with a smile), JT being JT, and Dirk showing me why he was MVP. ( <- I feel like that was my Oscar speech. ) This week cannot go fast enough.

Though the darkness had swallowed her whole, her burnished image was still imprinted on his retinas; it obscured his vision, brightening when he lowered his eyelids, disorienting him. Now fear came: Her presence had meant safety.

Thank you to SIP for the beautiful avatar!
Old October 10th, 2007, 11:05 pm
Curse Breaker

All I can do is sigh over this. I haven't been truly interested in the regular season of the NBA since the UnTouchaBulls broke up in '98. I like Nash, and Golden State was a fun story in last year's playoffs--but I can't force myself to get excited about the NBA. I hope LeBron breaks through with a title for Cleaveland in the next couple of years. Other than that--I'm sorry to say, I'm not interested in the regular season and only marginally interested in the playoffs.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old October 11th, 2007, 8:19 pm
Second Year

Personally, I can't stand the NBA. Every professional sports league has its problem players who are always getting in trouble, but in the NBA they tend to be the norm rather than the exception. I live between Indianapolis and Chicago and get news stations from both cities. Between the Pacers and the Bulls, at least 1 player is arrested every week. (although in fairness to the Bulls, the Pacers are noticeably worse) The Colts, Bears, Cubs, White Sox, and Blackhawks don't have those problems. I used to be a fan of the Pacers, but that all changed after their little incident in Detroit a few years ago. I honestly thought hiring Larry Bird as the team President would be the final step to bring an NBA Championship to Indianapolis. After all, how can you go wrong with Larry Bird? Instead, he has completely destroyed an annual contender and managed to alienate the majority of a fanbase in what was already a small market.

How sad is it when you come from a place where basketball is a way of life and grew up playing nearly every day; yet you come to hate the sport at its top level?

I'm not a Harry Potter addict. I choose to go to conventions, theme parks, book release parties and movie premiers and to spend hundreds of dollars per year on licensed merchandise. Continuously reading, discussing and analyzing the books is simply a hobby. I can stop any time I want to. No, I really mean it. Seriously. Addicts can't stop. That's the difference between me and an addict.

GalleonSickle4 on Pottermore
Wand- 13" Beech and Dragon Heartstring, unbending
Proud student of House
Old October 25th, 2007, 6:08 am
Third Year

I cant wait for this season. I finally have time off to enjoy my favorite team for a change. LAKE SHOW BABY!
But honestly, how can you say that that the NBA has more problem players than other professional leagues? The NFL is just as bad. Its awful.

Honestly, so many players in the NBA are coming in so young with all the fame already, its disgusting. Lebron James is the worst to me. He had a fan base before he played a single game in the league. He had his own shoe line before he had a championship... Disgusting.

Im baaack =]

"I am not afraid, I was born to do this"-Joan of Arc
Old October 25th, 2007, 6:58 pm
Fifth Year

Well, it's Lebron's youth that was the fame factor anyway. I didn't like him at first for those reasons, but I like him now. There's no denying he's a talented player, plus he is charismatic. He seems like a good guy, so I won't take away from his success.

The Celtics are looking really good. I wouldn't have thought that "big trio" would be that effective

I'm happy Penny's back with Shaq too, even though it doesn't look like he'll be getting much time. I miss Lil' Penny

Old October 25th, 2007, 7:58 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowPoofBall View Post
Well, it's Lebron's youth that was the fame factor anyway. I didn't like him at first for those reasons, but I like him now. There's no denying he's a talented player, plus he is charismatic. He seems like a good guy, so I won't take away from his success.

The Celtics are looking really good. I wouldn't have thought that "big trio" would be that effective

I'm happy Penny's back with Shaq too, even though it doesn't look like he'll be getting much time. I miss Lil' Penny
Yes, and that upsets me. I dont like any players who come into the league and dont have to prove themselves. Im sure its frustrating for players who work hard and barely get any recognition too.

The Celtics...I really was hoping theyd be something like the Dream Team the Lakers had a few years ago with Kobe, Shaq, Malone and Payton. I hoped they would argue over playing time and who gets to handle the rock more. But from what Im seeing, their meshing together pretty well. Another revamped Dream Team. AS much as I dont wanna say it, I hope KG can get himself a ring this time around. Hes a great player with so much heart.

Im baaack =]

"I am not afraid, I was born to do this"-Joan of Arc
Old October 30th, 2007, 8:09 pm
Curse Breaker

It's easy to root for Garnett and about phenoms--Kobe didn't really have to prove himself and if you go back, neither did Larry Legend or Magic Johnson. The made a seamless transition--so did LeBron (though he's not as successful as the Titans of the '80s...yet).

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old October 30th, 2007, 9:17 pm
Fifth Year

I think the selling point is that he came into the league and did prove himself. He's a great team leader, and he is a good player. Not many rookies can come into the NBA and lead a team.

I keep hearing rumors about Kobe finally leaving the Lakers, but I'm not seeing any results...

Old October 30th, 2007, 11:10 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

My Mother-in-Law just one two tickets to the Timberwolves vs. Nuggets game and she gave them to us

The game isn't until January but I am excited. To bad Garnett isn't on the team anymore. Meh...I got to see him play once before so that is good.

Still wish I could get tickets to the Bucks, Michael Redd has been my fav since his third string days

Old November 8th, 2007, 10:17 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

So far this year, the Pistons are doing well . I hope that they can keep up the good work. They've been working as a team and that's a good sign .

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old November 19th, 2007, 6:36 pm
Fifth Year

I'm a little surprised the Celts lost to Orlando yesterday. Orlando was doing well the first half, but Boston came back during the second and I thought they'd take it.

Lakers kind of rolled all over Chicago last night. Kobe's still here

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports