Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

Tennis and Grand Slams

Old September 11th, 2008, 3:16 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Re: Tennis and Grand Slams

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLIMPY View Post
Did they even show the final on television? At least where I live in the US, I could only find the final available live online.
Yes, in the U.S. CBS showed it at 5pm Eastern time. I live on the West coast so I had to record it at 2.

Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2008, 3:37 pm
Curse Breaker

CBS showed it live, but I missed everything but the trophy ceremony.*grumble* Looks like Federer's going back to the style that first won him notice--not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but he'd never won a Slam as a straight serve-and-volley guy.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 6:40 pm
Sixth Year

Spain has just won the Davis Cup final against Argentina, with a long and exciting match of Fernando Verdasco. Even without Rafa Nadal (who wasn't in the final due to some phisical problems), our boys have managed to bring the cup home.

Congratulations, Fernando, Feli, David, Marcel and Emilio (captain)

Old November 24th, 2008, 7:02 am
Sixth Year

I'm such a bad tennis fan, I can't believe I missed the Davis Cup final. I know Nadal had to pull out of the year end championships because of a knee issue, it seems it hadn't healed well enough for him to play Davis Cup. Hopefully this way he will be healed up and well rested by the time the Australian Open comes around.

I find it a bit surprising the captain asked him not to come as he was afraid Nadal would be a distraction to the other players. The US team (obviously, being from the US I see a lot more of them than any other team) always seems to have a couple of extra players around just to support the team. I'm not sure Nadal calling the players in between points, which an article I read claimed happened because the game would go out in his hotel, was really any better .

But yes, congratulations to Spain!

What happens to a plimpy that comes to the Breakfast Club?
Search Tutorial ~ Search Engine ~ Forum Rules ~ Ask the Staff
Old November 24th, 2008, 3:03 pm
Sixth Year

As far as I know, the reason Nadal wasn't in the final was purely medical. Sánchez-Vicario, the captain, wanted him in the team if it was possible and Nadal himself did what he could (he gave up Shangai Masters Series, lest that week's rest was enough to allow him to play the Cup), but at last the doctors told him to stay at home.

Anyway, his cheering the other players wouldn't have been much of a distraction, compared to the Argentinian-Spanish public. I never had watched a tennis match that sounded as much as a football one.

Old January 10th, 2009, 12:00 pm
Second Year

Andrew Murray has just notched up his 3rd consecutive win against Federer. He's going to be playing Andy Roddick in the finals of Qatar Open. With both Federer and Nadal not reaching the finals here, we can hope for a unpredictable Aussie Open I guess.
And as for today's final.... GO ANDY.... RODDICK!

Last edited by Googlie; January 11th, 2009 at 3:29 pm. Reason: Spelling error
Old January 10th, 2009, 2:36 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Tournaments outside of the main circuit are only partially indicative of form as they rarely feature all of the top players in any one event as there are usually several at once so there is little chance that all the top players will be present. In the past week the world's best have been divided between the Qatar Open, the Brisbane International and the Hopman Cup. They will only come together in the Australian Open.

Plus at this time of year, players are coming out of the annual break and are using the current crop of tournaments as a way to get back up to speed and, in the raft of Australian events, get acclimatised to the southern summer.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old January 19th, 2009, 4:22 pm
Curse Breaker

Andy Murray's third consecutive win against Federer? Er--last I saw, he got his doors blown off in the U.S. Open final--did he win the year-end round robin series or something?

And here we go again--"Has Federer finally lost his edge?" "Is Nadal going to declare himself and take over the sport?" Blah, blah, blah. Let's see how the actual Aussie Open (where Nadal has yet to make a final) shakes out before anyone pronounces Federer past it at 27.

Old January 19th, 2009, 8:04 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
Andy Murray's third consecutive win against Federer? Er--last I saw, he got his doors blown off in the U.S. Open final--did he win the year-end round robin series or something?
Andy Murray is actually the odds on favorite to win (according to the betting sites anyway). The ATP site has a nifty head to head feature. Murray is 5-2 against Federer.

Since the 2008 US Open Final, Murray has beat Federer at the Madrid Masters, the year end Masters and already this year in Doha all on hard courts.

As Murray has yet to win a major, it is yet to be seen whether he can pull off two weeks of best of 5 set matches and come out with the win. It is really only recently that his fitness hasn't been a question (if you remember when he started out he seemed to be constantly sick on court).

Andy Murray is in Nadal's half of the draw, so if he and Federer could not meet until the final.

What happens to a plimpy that comes to the Breakfast Club?
Search Tutorial ~ Search Engine ~ Forum Rules ~ Ask the Staff
Old January 23rd, 2009, 8:03 pm
Curse Breaker

They won't meet. I'm hoping someone knocks off Nadal--although watching Rafa play the best in the world would be entertaining this early in the year. Looks like Safin didn't provide as much of a test as advertized.

Old January 24th, 2009, 3:13 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Yeah, Nadal's been playing some really good tennis. It is a pity though that Safin gave a below par performance against Federer. The match could have been more interesting if he had played up.

But yeah, Murray is my best bet to hamper with Federer and Nadal's hopes of another grand slam title here.

Serena Williams has reached round four and will play either Amelie Mauresmo or Victoria Azarenka.

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old January 24th, 2009, 3:49 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Federer Rules!

Old January 25th, 2009, 4:36 pm
Second Year

Federer just got stretched to 5 sets by Berdych. He did well to scrape to though, but he just about managed to. Nadal has looked quite solid so far.
And a very good contest on the cards for QF, Roddick vs Djokivic. I really am looking forward to this one.

I guess Serena is the favourite to win the women's title here now. Seeds have been falling like nine pins in the women's singles draw. And yes, Dokic's run in AO this year has been pretty amazing!

Old January 26th, 2009, 3:03 am
Curse Breaker

I'm hoping Roddick has one more flare. I don't know that it's there, but I'm underestimating him. Federer should--repeat SHOULD make the semis. Yes, he got stretched, and yes Del Potro's playing some of the best tennis of his young career, but I think the Mighty Fed ought to be able to secure a spot in the smis without being stretched the full distance.

Old January 26th, 2009, 3:31 am
Too... Much... Fangirling...

I've been watching some of the New Zealand (finished now) and Australian Opens - they've been good

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Old January 26th, 2009, 6:37 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
I'm hoping Roddick has one more flare. I don't know that it's there, but I'm underestimating him. Federer should--repeat SHOULD make the semis. Yes, he got stretched, and yes Del Potro's playing some of the best tennis of his young career, but I think the Mighty Fed ought to be able to secure a spot in the smis without being stretched the full distance.
I agree. Federer ought to make it to the semis at the least. And I do hope Roddick comes up with a good show. It is due , but he needs to tighten his game, though the serves are as brilliant as ever

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"

Rita Skeeter was here
Old January 26th, 2009, 8:12 am
Second Year

Though I am of the opinion that Federer is more vulnerable now than ever, I can't see a young and relatively inexperienced guy like Del Potro will be able to knock him out. But that said, he has been playing very good tennis for the past 6 months, he may just go for broke against Fed and who knows anything might happen. But yeah I think Fed should make it to the semis this year too.

And as for Roddick, yes he has got the serve, good groundstrokes and he is also moving well on court. I have a feeling he is going to come up on top in the QF. It will be tight though. Djokovic has been playing some good tennis in this Slam especially in his last two matches. He came thorugh in 4 tough sets against Baghdatis. On the whole, its going to be an awesome contest.

Old January 26th, 2009, 12:55 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Murray's out in the fourth round. That is an upset I didn't want to see. I was looking forward to a Murray vs Nadal/Federer clash. Well, but that's the Australian Open for you. Extremely unpredictable

And, fingers crossed for a good show from Roddick The women's draw is looking pretty interesting too. Svetlana Kuznetsova vs Serena Williams, I think, is going to be interesting.

Rita Skeeter was here
Old January 26th, 2009, 4:39 pm
Curse Breaker

What happened with Zavonareva? (is that how her name is spelled)? She took a set from Serena and was leading and then she retired? Was it a leg injury? Did she take a tumble chasing a groundstroke? What happened?

Old January 27th, 2009, 11:49 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Vera Zvonerava hasn't played Serena yet. She defeated Marion Bartoli to reach semifinals and will play against either Dinara Safina or Jelena Dokic.

On the other hand,Andy Roddick won against defending champion Novak Djokovic, who unable to bear the heat, retired in the last set. Roddick will meet either Federer or Del Potro in the semis. It's going to be interesting, I hope

Rita Skeeter was here

Last edited by lilyrose; January 27th, 2009 at 12:01 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports