Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

2010 Winter Olympics In Vancouver, Canada

Old October 14th, 2007, 3:32 am
Second Year

2010 Winter Olympics In Vancouver, Canada

Hey all!

Welcome to the discussion about the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada!

Well ticket prices were released the other day; they range from $25-$1,500

I really want to go, don't know if i'll be able to or not. I'm going to Vancouver in 2009 on a school trip, sucks that we couldn't wait a year, eh?

Is any one else planning on attending?

What do you think of the location of it?

It's 2 1/2 years (roughly) away, but all ive been hearing lately is the Olympics. The Royal Canadian Mint has this whole collection of collectable quarters supporting our athletes circulating through banks and a gold coin that you can purchase through them. They all have special pictures of athletes on them. They're very cool. So far though, i only have the wheelchair curling one. But oh, well still have 2 1/2 years to collect!

In denial that JKR didn't win TIME's Person of the Year!
She did come in first in the online votes!

I'm part of the 8% of teens that rock out every day.

It's not anywhere close to being enough, but Thank You Jo!
Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2007, 6:37 am
Second Year

Re: 2010 Winter Olympics In Vancouver, Canada

I think Vancouver is a wonderful location. I was there a few years ago and as soon as I found out it made a bid for the 2010 Olympics I knew it was the perfect city. Besides, Canada got robbed a few years ago. The 2008 games should have gone to Toronto instead of Beijing.

I'm looking at a job in the Seattle area right now. If I get an offer and decide to accept, I definitely could see myself buying tickets to an event or two and driving up to Vancouver. Although I better get my tickets soon. Aside from the risk of things selling out, if the American dollar sinks too much further I may find myself paying good ticket prices for the cheap tickets.

I'm not a Harry Potter addict. I choose to go to conventions, theme parks, book release parties and movie premiers and to spend hundreds of dollars per year on licensed merchandise. Continuously reading, discussing and analyzing the books is simply a hobby. I can stop any time I want to. No, I really mean it. Seriously. Addicts can't stop. That's the difference between me and an addict.

GalleonSickle4 on Pottermore
Wand- 13" Beech and Dragon Heartstring, unbending
Proud student of House

Last edited by TheLastHorcrux; October 14th, 2007 at 6:40 am.
Old October 18th, 2007, 4:26 am
Second Year

Cool! I'm jealous. It sounds like you live much closer than i do (in Ontario).

Old October 18th, 2007, 9:36 am
Caninophile

I live a few hours outside Vancouver, but I'm not planning to go to the games. I can't afford good tickets, so I'll get a better view watching on TV. If it's anything like Salt Lake City, there'll be 24 hour a day coverage anyway.
Living so close I can't help but hear all the controversy about the games as well. I'm really shocked that they're suing several businesses in Vancouver over copyright infringement. Olympic Pizza is a family-owned company that has had the name for years before the games were even awarded, but VANOC wants them to change the name. Plus, it's clear that the games will be way over budget, but VANOC keeps denying that, claiming they're actually under budget. Like anyone really believes that.

Introducing the father & son team of Ricky and Jasper! (They might be related to the Malfoys, possibly maybe)

Ricky: One day you shall be a pretty as I, my boy.
Jasper: Yes father!

I'm just Slytherin' around...
Old January 4th, 2008, 12:42 am
First Year

Hey Hey Hey!

Were already talking about 2010!
Look at the 2008 Summer Olympics instead!

Old January 4th, 2008, 7:34 am
Third Year

I'm looking forward to the winter games more than the summer ones. I love hockey (both mens and womens-GO CANADA GO!), curling, bobsled, and the ski and snowboard events.
One thing I'm not too fond of is the mascots, they look like some sort of pokemon/hello kitty thing. I think they could have designed something much more representative of British Columbia/Canada.

GOFLAMESGO!!!
Old January 4th, 2008, 8:00 pm
Second Year

I agree with you Pints. The Winter olympics are much better then the summer ones. And thank god that Canada got to hold the Winter games, hosting the Summer games would just be horrible!

I really enjoy all of those events that you listed (Especially the Mens and Womens (and yes, GO CANADA GO) hockey) but I also have to add Figure Skating on to the list!

No, I don't really like the mascots either. They're just too cartoon-y, if you know what I mean. I mean, obviously a mascot has to be a little animated looking, but ya, Pokemon and Hello Kitty, no way!

Old January 11th, 2008, 10:49 pm
Third Year

No womens ski jumping!?!?! Disappointing. I think the Olympics would have been the perfect place to highlight this sport and show girls that they can do it. There are other women's sports as well where there isn't huge participation but I think Olympic exposure really helps promote that sport. Look at women's hockey, it is still largely a battle between two teams for the gold (Canada-US). But looking at the U-18 world championship other countries are building on their women's programmes.

GOFLAMESGO!!!
Old January 11th, 2008, 11:12 pm
Second Year

I agree that the winter games are much better than the summer games. You have great sports like hockey, skiing, bobsledding, snowboarding, speed skating, and who doesn't love watching people wipe out in the luge or skeleton? And of course the one game that nobody understands- curling.

In the summer games, it seems that every event is running or some variation of running.

I'm not a Harry Potter addict. I choose to go to conventions, theme parks, book release parties and movie premiers and to spend hundreds of dollars per year on licensed merchandise. Continuously reading, discussing and analyzing the books is simply a hobby. I can stop any time I want to. No, I really mean it. Seriously. Addicts can't stop. That's the difference between me and an addict.

Proud student of House
Old February 7th, 2008, 1:32 am
Seventh Year

i too enjoy the winter games more, I guess because I play more winter sports.

I'm ready for Canadian domination!

Old February 7th, 2008, 1:59 am
do you want fries with that?

I think Vancouver is great spot for the 2010 Winter Olympics. With luck, I might have a chance of going.

I love the winter Olympics as well. The events are much more exciting, I love pretty much every event. And Germany is always so good in the medal counts!!!

The Next Mesut Özil

(Although we must ignore the jersey)
Old March 7th, 2008, 9:31 pm
Second Year

I agree that the coverage on TV is better in that it allows you to see more from better angles. Its like that in almost every sport. People (usually) don't buy Super Bowl tickets to watch football or World Series tickets to watch baseball, because you can get a better view from your sofa. They buy them for the overall experience, and that's why I plan on buying Olympic tickets when I get the chance. Its a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that I don't plan on missing. Hopefully I can get tickets to a USA hockey game. If its against Canada, even better, although I doubt I'd be able to afford tickets to any game in which Canada is playing.

Proud student of House
Old October 17th, 2008, 2:37 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by gipro2003 View Post
I think Vancouver is great spot for the 2010 Winter Olympics. With luck, I might have a chance of going.

I love the winter Olympics as well. The events are much more exciting, I love pretty much every event. And Germany is always so good in the medal counts!!!
I would love to see the Olympics in Canada! The good ol' home of the maple leaf hasn't seen the internation games in a while

Too bad I live so far away as to not see it happen

"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies." ~ Mother Teresa

ø ѕ t - ι и - t ι м є...

Old October 15th, 2009, 11:55 pm
Second Year

With 120 days to go until the Opening Ceremony, the medal design for the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games was unveiled today:

Vancouver 2010 Medal Design:    

Official video discussing the medal design's inspiration: http://www.vancouver2010.com/en/abou...e4u/index.html

Last edited by TheWestTower; October 16th, 2009 at 12:04 am.
Old October 16th, 2009, 12:15 am
Fourth Year

I like the medals, they're quite cool. I look so much forward to the olympics, it's the event of the year for me. All this skiing and curling and skating and everything... And we Norwegians are quite good at a lot of winter sports, so it'll be extra fun. Go Norway!

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

—Neil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Old December 14th, 2009, 10:54 am
Second Year

SO excited! The winter olympics is the only time I ever get to see x-c skiing and biathlon on tv (and can tape it and watch it over, and over, over..). Last Olympics I was at the bar shooting pool and when I looked up for once biathlon was on the TVs. I was 30 years old, but I totally Sqee-ed
America is sometimes a tough place for a fan of endurance sports.

Brute force crushes many plants. Yet the plants rise again. The Pyramids will not last a moment compared with the daisy. And before Buddha or Jesus spoke the nightingale sang, and long after the words of Jesus and Buddha are gone into oblivion the nightingale still will sing. Because it is neither preaching nor commanding nor urging. It is just singing. And in the beginning was not a Word, but a chirrup.
-- D. H. Lawrence, Etruscan Places

Coretta Scott King[/size]: "Many despair at all the evil and unrest and disorder in the world today, but I see a new social order and I see the dawn of a new day." "
"In the fight for social justice, no one shall again be left behind" ~ addressing the people at the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force Annual Conference.
Old January 1st, 2010, 9:22 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by madfox View Post
SO excited! The winter olympics is the only time I ever get to see x-c skiing and biathlon on tv (and can tape it and watch it over, and over, over..). Last Olympics I was at the bar shooting pool and when I looked up for once biathlon was on the TVs. I was 30 years old, but I totally Sqee-ed
America is sometimes a tough place for a fan of endurance sports.
Biathlon is cross-country skiing with shooting, isn't it? I watch it the whole winter season, but the olympics are a bit special. I'm looking forward to all these days with loads of winter sports on TV all the time! I can't wait for February!

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

—Neil Gaiman

Old February 8th, 2010, 3:48 am
Fourth Year

Not many days left now! I keep wondering whether I should watch the opening live, or wait for the reprise as it starts 3 am Norwegian time...

—Neil Gaiman

Old February 14th, 2010, 10:28 pm
Second Year

I love the Olympics. I like to have it on, and I end up watching most of the events, even the ones I find boring (like ski jumping). Though I do sometimes work on the computer or something if I'm not a huge fan of the event.

I really like to watch the skating events. Short track is so interesting to watch, the racers are almost synchronized in a lot of their movements.

Old February 19th, 2010, 12:09 am
Fourth Year

Finally, Norway is starting to win! Two golds and a silver in biathlon today, and gold and bronze in the cross-country skiing classic sprint. People were starting to wonder where the Norwegians and their gold medals in the Nordic disciplines. Well, here we are, and we're not leaving yet!

I have a question to ask, if anyone else reads this thread at all. What do you think of the Olympics so far? I mean, there have been a lot of mistakes and troubles - starting people at the right time in biathlon, problems with the ice machine during speed skating, ticket trouble (I don't remember exactly what that was about), some of the graphics are chaotic, to mention those I remember. Also, there has been quite a few accidents: the tragic death of luger Nodar Kumaritashvili a few hours before the opening ceremony; Petra Majdič's fall yesterday; Anja Pärson's fall, in the women's downhill skiing, also yesterday; Dominique Gisin's fall at the same place as Pärson; a few other girls also fell in the same race; and there are more, but not so serious/recent.

—Neil Gaiman

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports