Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

Cricket

Old February 23rd, 2008, 2:39 pm
Registered Animagus

Cricket

What teams do people support? Favourite players, form of game (limited overs, test matches, 20/20) etc.

Personally I'm an Aussie supporter but (as my sig/avatar would suggest ) do have a soft spot for the Indians. It has been a great series so far and even though Australia has (for the most part) dominated it has never been boring. If only batters (from all teams) could pick up their game a bit it really has been a series for the bowlers.
My favourite Australian player is ummm probably Michael Clarke. He is a decent all-rounder and seems like a pretty good bloke.
As for form of the game, I love it all (I play cricket and when playing I really do prefer the 20/20 games as it does not completely consume my weekend :lol)

Old April 26th, 2008, 8:49 pm
Seventh Year

Re: Cricket

Oh my god! Are you a knight riders fan????? So am I!!! I love that team to death... only problem is they lost their match today against the Chennai Super kings. I was there in the stadium to watch the match (there were at least seventy thousand people in the stadium ) and the match was awesome but as much as I hate to say this - the Kolkata Knight riders were creamed by the Chennai Super Kings. But it was a fun match to watch and I think these two teams are the teams to watch out for and the teams that would most probably make it to the finals

The best-looking, most rebellious, most dangerous of the four marauders...
Old May 31st, 2008, 3:12 pm
Seventh Year

Today is the all important match between Mohali and Chennai and it is going to start in half an hour!!!!!!!!!!! I am sooooooooooooo freaked out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chennai Superkings won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!! I am soooooooo crazy excited by this

The best-looking, most rebellious, most dangerous of the four marauders...
Old September 19th, 2008, 4:46 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

How did I miss this great thread???
Anyway..mad cricket fan that I am..here goes

I love the NZ Cricket Team , the Indian and the Aussie team. Basically I support any team that plays good cricket..which means England too right now

My all-time favourite player is Adam Gilchrist.He's a legend!!!.Miss him since his retirement I also love Shane Bond but he never seems to play international cricket enough.But currently I like Luke Wright,Shane Watson( who was amazing in the IPL) and Michael Clarke

As for form of the game,I prefer some tradition still sticking to cricket..however when played in the good spirit I love any form of the game!

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here

Last edited by lilyrose; March 18th, 2009 at 5:35 pm.
Old September 20th, 2008, 1:10 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Love the game, hate 20/20.

That the Australian domestic T/20 competition is sponsored by Kentucky Fried Chicken is so appropriate as T/20 is to cricket what fast food is to cooking.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless

Last edited by Wab; September 20th, 2008 at 7:06 am.
Old October 10th, 2008, 2:41 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Love the game, hate 20/20.

That the Australian domestic T/20 competition is sponsored by Kentucky Fried Chicken is so appropriate as T/20 is to cricket what fast food is to cooking.
Yes, I agree
I dont mind watching a few T/ 20 games, but I hate people going overboard about T/ 2O and forgetting the good old tests and ODIs.

I mean, what next? 5 over games?

Then how on earth do you judge a player??

IMHO..Test cricket is the best judge of cricketer's talent.T/20 is mostly luck sprinkled with the mantra" hit or die"..they dont care how the shots are or anything.All that matters is the ball reaches the boundary(even if its an inside edge).

As if the poor bowlers werent tormented enough, we have free hits too.

As of now, I'm loving the Indo-Aus test..

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"

Rita Skeeter was here
Old October 12th, 2008, 2:55 pm
Second Year

but as of now this test is going to be draw.....

Old October 12th, 2008, 2:57 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Yeah..i know..its still Advantage Australia right now..and hey,Shane Watson did well
*looks guiltily at siggy*

Rita Skeeter was here

Last edited by lilyrose; October 12th, 2008 at 3:10 pm.
Old October 13th, 2008, 8:58 am
Second Year

lol... shame on you! but I approve of course....!

Old October 13th, 2008, 9:00 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by janblack View Post
lol... shame on you! but I approve of course....!
..ah..a tame draw...

Rita Skeeter was here

Last edited by lilyrose; October 13th, 2008 at 1:59 pm.
Old November 12th, 2008, 1:25 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

To wake this thread again........

The India- Australia Border-Gavaskar series is done India have regained the trophy and what is certain is that Australia certainly has some rebuilding to do. Brett Lee's form or the lack of it, coupled with an inconsistent batting and not so wonderful bowling( save perhaps Jason Krezja) are huge signs of concern. But knowing the Aussies they'll bounce back, atleast they have to.

This series also marked the farewell of two of Indian and the World Cricket's wonderful players- Anil Kumble and Sourav Ganguly. Both have been matchwinners and brilliant additions to the game.

Rita Skeeter was here
Old November 12th, 2008, 1:49 pm
Registered Animagus

Yay the thread returns!

Ponting is copping a lot of anger over here for his decision to put on the wishy washy bowlers instead of copping the match ban. Most people seem to think we could have drawn the match. Personally I think Ponting just should have taken the ban but in the end I don't really mind that we lost. After all we're playing New Zealand next- an easy one...*shifty eyes*

Old November 12th, 2008, 1:56 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Yeah..I heard Ponting's getting into trouble there..anyway...even if he had drawn the test, India would have won the series. I guess Ponting thought there was nothing to lose and went all out for it, and this time...it didnt work out. Though I do agree that using the part-timers wasnt the best thing to do- he could have gotten a ban for over-rate and have Watson, Krezja bowl. IMO, Lee's form or the lack of it, mostly killed Australia, though Watson did an excellent job.

Quote:
After all we're playing New Zealand next- an easy one...*shifty eyes*
I'm an NZ fan( not as obsessed as I used to be, though..ever since Shane Bond stopped playing)

Vettori spoke about how the Aussies are going to bounce back and how they're gonna get ready for that- lets see.

Rita Skeeter was here
Old November 12th, 2008, 2:02 pm
Registered Animagus

what are the chances the first person who replies is a Kiwi! Haha.

But if we'd drawn we would have kept the trophy, that's the thing people are upset about... I didn't get to watch much of the test at all (it was only on payTV) unfortunately...

Old November 12th, 2008, 2:08 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
what are the chances the first person who replies is a Kiwi! Haha.
Thats alright, I'm an Indian, but I support NZ even if its India they're playing against

Quote:
But if we'd drawn we would have kept the trophy, that's the thing people are upset about... I didn't get to watch much of the test at all (it was only on payTV) unfortunately...
I know..But you guys bounce back. I remember so many such amazing Aussie comebacks I really adore your team as much as I do mine( Adam Gilchrist is my all-time fav player!) and I'd want the Aussies to do great in the coming matches *not against NZ though*

Rita Skeeter was here

Last edited by lilyrose; November 12th, 2008 at 2:16 pm.
Old November 12th, 2008, 2:56 pm
Registered Animagus

I'm hoping for a close test between NZ and Australia but I expect it'll get poor ratings here because as sad as it is I don't think Aussies really care about the games vs NZ I don't know why but the matches against India and England always attract huge attention but the rest are sort of... neither here nor there.

Old November 12th, 2008, 3:07 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
I'm hoping for a close test between NZ and Australia but I expect it'll get poor ratings here because as sad as it is I don't think Aussies really care about the games vs NZ I don't know why but the matches against India and England always attract huge attention but the rest are sort of... neither here nor there.
Yeah I get it. England, as seen in the "Ashes" and India, as seen in recent times, have the strength and a history of good games with Australia, so I guess its more popular. Sadly, the trans-tasman rivalry seems to lack the sizzle..Anyway, fingers crossed for an awesome competitive game there!

England's come here to India for their tour- it seems like a good series is in the offing. England's got a good team- Cook, Wright, Bell, Broad, K.P, Flintoff- and we have a good team too. Here's hoping for a good series for both Aus-NZ and Ind-Eng

Rita Skeeter was here
Old November 12th, 2008, 3:24 pm
Registered Animagus

By no means do we want to lose to NZ. I think Ponting would be hunted down as a national disgrace if he let that happen but the problem is Australia have won 24 times out of the past 26 games versus NZ. I think people are just so confident of a win that they've stopped caring Hopefully NZ will give us a run for our money They have what looks like a great young team!

Old November 12th, 2008, 3:54 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
By no means do we want to lose to NZ. I think Ponting would be hunted down as a national disgrace if he let that happen
Yes, I can see that happening...

Quote:
but the problem is Australia have won 24 times out of the past 26 games versus NZ. I think people are just so confident of a win that they've stopped caring Hopefully NZ will give us a run for our money They have what looks like a great young team!
Yes they do, and Vettori sure has a few tricks up his sleeve

Rita Skeeter was here
Old November 13th, 2008, 12:53 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
Hopefully NZ will give us a run for our money They have what looks like a great young team!
I think it was cricket historian Gideon Haigh (or maybe not) who said that cricket is one of the few games where people don't mind their team losing so much if it is a good match.

It's a funny old game.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports