Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

FIFA World Cup 2018 and 2022

Old September 30th, 2010, 4:36 pm
First Year

FIFA World Cup 2018 and 2022

On December 2nd 2010 the FIFA Executive Committe will vote where the World cup 2018 and 2022 will happen.

World cup 2014 will be in Brazil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The following countries registered for 2018 or 2022.
1. England
2. Russia
3. United States of America
4. Belgium & Netherlands
5. Portugal & Spain

The following countries registered for 2022 only.
1. Australia
2. Japan
3. Qatar
4. South Korea

so what are you're thoughts.

Last edited by ahmad_10; October 11th, 2010 at 7:34 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2010, 6:22 pm
First Year

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018 and 2022 bids. Where will it happen!!!

I'd give it to the USA for one reason: American football stadiums can be quickly converted to soccer configuration for the FIFA World Cup, since the standard soccer pitch is not much bigger than a standard American football field. Can you imagine soccer games at Gillette Stadium near Boston, the new Meadowlands Stadium near New York City, the current Soldier Field in Chicago, Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Cowboys Stadium near Dallas, Reliant Stadium in Houston and Sun Life Stadium just north of Miami, FL? And have the final game at Cowboys Stadium with 80,000 fans in attendence?

Old October 9th, 2010, 9:55 pm
First Year

i'd like to see Spain and Portugal for the 2018, and Qatar for 2022.

Old October 9th, 2010, 10:51 pm
Oracle Octopus

2018 in US would be awesome

Old October 10th, 2010, 4:51 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

2018 - England or Russia
2022 - USA or Australia

Old October 13th, 2010, 12:12 am
First Year

well, it depends, they all have to have amazing bids. everyone of those countries is trying so hard to get in.

Old October 17th, 2010, 3:34 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018 and 2022. Where will it happen?

As long as it's not Australia I'm happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoMan001 View Post
I'd give it to the USA for one reason: American football stadiums can be quickly converted to soccer configuration for the FIFA World Cup, since the standard soccer pitch is not much bigger than a standard American football field.
It doesn't matter how quickly a field can be converted as FIFA demands that all venues be quarantined for a month before the tournament.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old October 18th, 2010, 1:54 am
First Year

I want to see a country that has never had it before. U.S.A already hosted a world cup, give another country a chance.

Old October 18th, 2010, 8:12 am
Eldest Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad_10 View Post
I want to see a country that has never had it before. U.S.A already hosted a world cup, give another country a chance.
By feel & wish alone I actually agree with you. Just it seems nowadays these huge tournaments aren't easily organized by many countries anymore.

Perhaps we'll be able to reduce this development one day, but I believe by now the choice is rather limited. :/

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old October 19th, 2010, 2:42 am
First Year

yes, they are hard to organize, but the countries who are included for the bid are already organized, for example Qatar said they would have air conditioned stadiums, and now they do. It was insane when i saw the report, they brought it outside as 43 or something degrees celcius and the stadium was 25 degrees celcius.

The bids will be selected on december/2/2010 which is only less then to months from now. they will choose both 2018/2022 countries. The country that will be hosting 2018 will not allow countries from the same continent to host in 2022.

Last edited by ahmad_10; October 19th, 2010 at 2:48 am.
Old December 4th, 2010, 3:11 pm
Fourth Year

Came in here to look for a thread on this to discuss the result, hope people don't mind me dragging it back up!

What did people make of the result? It's not gone down well here, apparently some of the judges promised the England representatives that they'd vote for them and then they didn't and that's just the tip of the iceberg of what's being talked about on the news, there was all sorts of scandal in the papers in the run up to the bid.

I come from a football mad family so it is a bit disappointing England didn't get it but not surprising at all, we're not the most liked nation in the world

Proud Pottermore and CoS Hufflepuff!
Old December 4th, 2010, 8:43 pm
Fifth Year

Well, Russia is kind of 'meh' for me, but those cities are gorgeous, so as long as I get plenty of shots of the awesome architecture I'm okay.

As for Qatar...well, I'm probably one of very few people who were pleasantly surprised and happy with the result. The other happy people would be (along with ahmad-10!) some of my relatives - I have a cousin that moved to Qatar a few years ago when her husband got a super cushy job as a pilot there. I just thought it was really cool because most people haven't even hear of Qatar. Those new air conditioned stadiums better work though. The Middle East isn't exactly known for pleasant summer temperature.

Last edited by merry18; December 4th, 2010 at 8:45 pm.
Old December 8th, 2010, 3:31 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by merry18 View Post

As for Qatar...well, I'm probably one of very few people who were pleasantly surprised and happy with the result. The other happy people would be (along with ahmad-10!) some of my relatives - I have a cousin that moved to Qatar a few years ago when her husband got a super cushy job as a pilot there. I just thought it was really cool because most people haven't even hear of Qatar. Those new air conditioned stadiums better work though. The Middle East isn't exactly known for pleasant summer temperature.
You make a good point, I'm all for it giving smaller nations some recognition and putting them on the map! So that's great for Qatar I don't mind it going to nations that don't have a great record at football either because at the end of the day it's going to inspire youngsters to take up the sport just by being held there so it's great for the younger generation

I still want to see a world cup here in England in my lifetime and my familiy's, just because I've grown up around it plus I think football gets more and more money driven here, with footballers becoming these rich celebrities that get up to no good, so it'd be nice to see it come down to the love of the game and bringing people together which is what it should really be about.

Proud Pottermore and CoS Hufflepuff!
Old December 8th, 2010, 4:56 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018 and 2022

It is obvious that the technical reports counted for absolutely nothing. Indications are that FIFA decision makers didn't even bother reading them. It's fair enough if FIFA wanted to take the World Cup to new regions like Russia and Qatar, but if that was their motivation, they should have only invited bids from Eastern Europe and the Middle East, because it looks as though the other bidders were never really seriously considered and thus FIFA wasted a lot of money and people's time and efforts.

Old December 18th, 2010, 6:16 pm
First Year

yhh, i think both Qatar and Russia both had great bids, and Qatar had great ideas for after the tournament as well, they also have alot of money to spen so why not, the united states is facing an economy crisis and theyr thinking about hostingthe orld cup, i know they want it maybe for more emploment but its gonna cost alot. Qatar i even makeing bars, pubs and all necessities for westerners to enjoy the world cup. now the FIFA is also considiring in letting it be hosted in nearby arab coutries, but i would only allw it in places like the U.A.E, Bharin, maybe Kuwait but not sure about Saudi Arabia. Any ways I hope I make the Canadian soccer team so maybe i can go to world cup lol

Last edited by ahmad_10; December 18th, 2010 at 6:23 pm.
Old January 9th, 2011, 11:13 pm
First Year

I was so happy to hear that WC 2014 would take place in Brazil. Their lot of fans are so lively! (and they don't have vuvuzelas *wink wink*)

I'll stand by England being an excellent place for footballing at any time... however I think we ought to give a chance to other countries. I'd like to see 2018 as Denmark & Netherlands and 2022 in Qatar so long as they have a good cooling system in their stadium!

Old February 2nd, 2011, 8:31 pm
Second Year

I see FIFA are considering moving the 2022 World Cup to the winter as it will apparently be too hot in the summer. This wasn't mentioned in the bidding process as far as I am aware. This raises an interesting question. Were FIFA officials voting for Qatar based on the presumption that it will be moved to the winter (something that will be very difficult to do due to the power of the main European leagues)? Were they voting for Qatar despite the fact that they believe it will be too hot in the summer? Or were they so incompetant that they did not even consider the temperature in Qatar in June/July before voting for Qatar? One of these must be true. Considering it's FIFA I'm inclined to go for the incompetence theory. Let's be honest though, it most likely will be too hot in the summer. Sure, the stadiums will be air conditioned, but what about the training facilities and the fanzones? Will these be air conditioned too?

Old February 2nd, 2011, 9:35 pm
Eldest Gruff

Don't forget the visitors. An international audience not used to the weather won't stay in hot temperatures for more than a few minutes either. Not only talking about the games here. There's some risk of getting way more health issues than usually.

I've heard the European Leagues actually support the winter idea already, or at least for a big part. But that was a few days ago, so if it's still discussed, it might not be as solved already as I thought.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports