Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

ICC Cricket World Cup 2011

Old February 7th, 2011, 1:13 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

ICC Cricket World Cup 2011

The ICC Cricket World Cup rolls back to the subcontinent where we take pride in obsessing over this great game The World Cup begins on February 19 in Dhaka, Bangladesh and the grand final is on April 2 in Mumbai, India

To all those who'll be following one of cricket's biggest events, this is where we predict, discuss, celebrate or rant about our favourite players and teams.

Some questions to get this thread off to a start:

1. What is your favourite team going in to the World Cup?
2. Which teams do you think are the favourites and who is the underdog?
3. Who are the players to watch out for?

As a partial aside, this will, in all probability, be Sachin Tendulkar's last World Cup and that's the main reason I hope India will win the cup. That man's achieved just about every record in cricket except this one and it's time he did!

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2011, 3:08 pm
Registered Animagus

Re: ICC Cricket World Cup 2011

Obviously I hope India win, and they have a good chance of doing so. Sachin is still a legend of the game and surely they'll be pushing to get a win for his (probable) last world cup. Can't wait for it to start.

I'm kind of interested to see how the lower ODI ranked teams go because I've neve seen the likes of Canada, Nethelands etc play. Should be interesting.

As fo players to look out for, I'm hoping Harbhajan Singh has a good WC. He has character flaws, we all do, but he's a fantastic athlete and always a pleasure to watch.

Old February 7th, 2011, 4:34 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

That's the main interest of the WC, watching the minnows as they sometimes slay their more fancied opponents. A bloke from my home town will be playing for Canada as he is a dual national.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old February 12th, 2011, 3:17 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
As fo players to look out for, I'm hoping Harbhajan Singh has a good WC. He has character flaws, we all do, but he's a fantastic athlete and always a pleasure to watch.
If he has a good WC, it's quite certain India will have a good WC too. We need him to get wickets though, not focus too much on the run-rate or containing the other team. He's got to be his aggressive self.

Speaking of which, I'm not looking forward to Sreesanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
That's the main interest of the WC, watching the minnows as they sometimes slay their more fancied opponents.
I can't ever forget Ireland slaying Pakistan in the 2007 WC. They were one amazing team and that was one amazing match!

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"

Rita Skeeter was here
Old February 21st, 2011, 4:25 am
First Year

Here the list of both group for Cricket world cup.
Group A Australia, New Zealand, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe, Canada, Kenya
Group B Bangladesh, England, India, South Africa, West Indies, Ireland, Netherland
There are 7 Teams in each group. In the first round, Each team of a Group will play with other teams within the same group. It means each team will play 6 matches.
After the end of first round, only 4 teams will go to next round Quarter Final and 3 teams will be eliminated.
Check out here more related information on>>> ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 and ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 Schedule

Old February 21st, 2011, 1:51 pm
Registered Animagus

India look like a shoe-in for Group B along with South Africa, I'm predicting. Australia and Sri Lanka from Group A but NZ and Pakistan could certainly give them a run for their money.

Old February 21st, 2011, 2:02 pm

I can't see Australia winning if their batsmen continue with their average form. The bowlers may just save them against Zimbabwe but it could be different against experienced first-tier competition.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

Old February 21st, 2011, 6:05 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
I can't see Australia winning if their batsmen continue with their average form. The bowlers may just save them against Zimbabwe but it could be different against experienced first-tier competition.
Yeah, I was surprised that they notched up only 250+ against Zimbabwe. Except for Watson, none of the batsmen seem to be in excellent form. Ponting was especially struggling.

ETA: Regarding today's match:

England were so horribly mediocre today! But Netherlands should be so proud of themselves They were brilliant, especially Ryan ten Doeschate and Pieter Seelaar. I love to see the underdog perform brilliantly and Netherlands were fab (though they owe their performance to ten Deoschate)

Rita Skeeter was here

Last edited by lilyrose; February 22nd, 2011 at 4:50 pm.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 6:04 am
Registered Animagus

Netherlands did so well! I wish they'd beaten England though, that would have been great.

Old February 23rd, 2011, 7:46 pm
Third Year

The Netherlands so deserved to win against England, I think everyone was rooting for them in the end! I really love when you see smaller teams making the big teams look stupid, England's bowling was embarrassing.

Old February 24th, 2011, 10:42 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMemory View Post
The Netherlands so deserved to win against England, I think everyone was rooting for them in the end! I really love when you see smaller teams making the big teams look stupid, England's bowling was embarrassing.
More embarrassing was the fielding, IMO. England was awful in the field and kept dropping the simplest of catches and misfielded so very often!

I admire Netherlands a lot for the fact that they tried to keep it as close as possible, even when England was batting. Ten Doeschate's two wickets were great. He is one excellent player to watch out for and I hope he inspires his team to perform even better

Rita Skeeter was here
Old February 24th, 2011, 10:58 am

Over the past few months England's focus was first retaining the Ashes and then winning the series. Having done that they've mentally collapsed.

Old February 26th, 2011, 2:52 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Pakistan and Sri Lanka are playing today and Pakistan has done well with the batting, though SL pulled them back from reaching the 300 mark. The SL chase doesn't seem to have gone the best way so far. Let's see.

India and England clash tomorrow. India are favourites of course and I would be mighty disappointed if they lost to England. England would be hoping to get out of the Netherlands mess up mood, while India would hope to bowl much better. Sreesanth was absolutely terrible last match (causing Sehwag to remark in the match ceremony : 'Everyone in the team played well. Except Sreesanth' ) giving away 50 runs in 5 overs

Rita Skeeter was here
Old March 2nd, 2011, 11:02 am
Sixth Year

What is your favourite team going in to the World Cup?

South Africa

Which teams do you think are the favourites and who is the underdog?

SA, India and Australia are favorites. Pak are dark horses. England might spring some surprises but I can't see them going all the way.

SA - They have a great bowling and batting lineup. Really chuffed that they have a decent spinner for once. Lower middle order is a little weak though. No big hitters and not much experience.

India - Awesome batting lineup but their bowling is pretty bad. If the pitch doesn't take much spin, they could be in a lot of trouble.

Australia - They are probably in my list by reputation more than actual performance but the Aussies are No 1 in ODI and they are generally quite tough to beat in the shorter formats. Bowling can go for lot of runs and not all their batsmen are in form.

Pakistan - IMO they actually have a pretty good unit. Good openers, stable middle order players, guys who can hit the ball at the end and a good bowling attack. They are pretty unpredictable as well which makes them dangerous.

All in all, I think most good teams should make it to the quarters. After that it's just a matter of winning three matches in a row.

Last edited by wolfbrother; March 2nd, 2011 at 11:05 am.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 1:39 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbrother View Post
India - Awesome batting lineup but their bowling is pretty bad. If the pitch doesn't take much spin, they could be in a lot of trouble.
Couldn't agree with this assessment more! This has almost always been a problem for India: enviable batting, absolutely unenviable bowling and horrendously sloppy fielding. If Zaheer tightens up and Harbhajan actually takes wickets, things will get better.

I must say I'm impressed with England and I thought I wouldn't be. I thought India would win outright when we scored 338, but boy did England bat remarkably well. Granted our bowling was almost as bad as theirs and that helped them, but chasing 300+ under lights is no mean task!

ETA: Forget the above para. Ireland beat England! What an amazing team. And an unforgettable knock (Strauss and co will have nightmares) from Kevin O'Brien

P.S If Ireland beat England, how bad was India?

Rita Skeeter was here

Last edited by lilyrose; March 2nd, 2011 at 5:01 pm.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 6:04 pm

What is so impressive is that England did not put in a bad performance. They set Ireland a chase of 327 (Ireland set a record by winning) and with Ireland at 5/111 no one would have given them a chance.

Could be time for the ICC to promote Ireland from Associate status.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011...land-world-cup

Old March 2nd, 2011, 6:59 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
What is so impressive is that England did not put in a bad performance. They set Ireland a chase of 327 (Ireland set a record by winning) and with Ireland at 5/111 no one would have given them a chance.
Exactly! That powerplay killed it for England, as did O'Brien, obviously. I actually thought Anderson bowled his first spell beautifully (wicket off the first ball and a maiden too) and the second spell wasn't as bad as his economy rate would suggest. But seriously, how many catches England dropped today! Their catching is a major problem. Clumsy fielding is pardonable but hopeless, butterfinger catching will be their ruin.

Rita Skeeter was here
Old March 4th, 2011, 8:19 am
Oracle Octopus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
If Ireland beat England, how bad was India?
I appreciate and applaud what Kevin did the other day, and it was truly a magnificent innings on his part, but then it all comes down to consistency. Ryan (Netherlands) also performed extremely well against England, but that didn't prevent Netherlands from loosing all the 3 pool matches it has played.

No doubt India will have to play a lot better than they have of late, but I am quite sure they will be able to handle "the line of IRE" a lot better than England did, given the home ground benefit.

Old March 6th, 2011, 1:25 pm
Sixth Year

England are single handedly making this WC interesting. Great game today against SA.
Can't help but think that if SA were up against a subcontinent team, they would have lost by a bigger margin. If SA end up against such a team in a knockout match on a spinning track, I'm not sure they'll make it through.

Old March 6th, 2011, 1:45 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbrother View Post
England are single handedly making this WC interesting. Great game today against SA.
Can't help but think that if SA were up against a subcontinent team, they would have lost by a bigger margin. If SA end up against such a team in a knockout match on a spinning track, I'm not sure they'll make it through.
This was a great thriller and England have been absolutely interesting this WC! They've become the new Pakistan Unpredictable and absolutely thrilling.

India, on the other hand, are making Ireland seem like Australia. Struggling with two wickets down and for what is probably the thousandth time in sixteen years, leaving Sachin in charge.

Rita Skeeter was here
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports