Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services

Comment on: CoS Forums Closure

Closed Thread

Old April 1st, 2013, 1:02 am
First Year

Re: Comment on: CoS Forums Closure

I could make a fan website in forumotion. it wouldn't be as good as this, but it could just be a place for those of us who truly like CoS and Harry Potter. it's a free forum and it could have the basis of Cos, but it wouldn't be as well done

For those interested I could have a sample of what it would look like hopefully by next week.

Let's be friends on Pottermore:
DragonMoonstone16649

Last edited by BrightestWitch; April 1st, 2013 at 6:09 am.
Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2013, 6:15 am
Seventh Year

Firstly, I wish to say I'm sorry to see CoS go. I don't post much, but I usually check it out once a week or more to see if there is any news about The Dresden Files, oddly enough.

Anywho, I've had some great discussions, and great arguments, with many of you here. I will never forget them.

Secondly, I've had to do the same for my own site, Morgoth. It was on a much smaller scale, but it was still very sad to have to make that decision. So I know how you must feel. I made the decision to move to a free board and created a Facebook group.

We mainly use the Facebook group now. So I think that may be a great decision for everyone here at CoS, since so many use Facebook now.

Matter of fact, it seems someone has created something like this post below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den_muggle View Post
Someone earlier asked about a COS group on Facebook. Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1925...group_activity
I've applied to join. I hope you all do so as well, or maybe start an official CoS Facebook Group? If you do, I'll join that one as well. I'd hate not to be able to discuss books and authors with you folks anymore.

If some of you want to add me as a friend on Facebook feel free to do so. Just search for Wilford Tibbetts and you'll see me.

I'll see you.... "Out there".

Regards,

Wilford Tibbetts

"No dictator... No invader... Can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the Universe, than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments, and tyrants, and armies cannot stand. Though it take a Thousand Years. We. Will. Be. Free." -- Citizen G'Kar, Babylon 5
Old April 1st, 2013, 6:26 am
Too... Much... Fangirling...

I know that nothing will ever replace CoS, but I have taken some initiative and created a place that all CoS users are welcome to migrate to. It's only very early days, but I hope that a small community can form there. I've only just set it up, so theres very few threads, but anyone is welcome to start some discussion there.
http://hogsmeade.ucoz.com/

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Old April 1st, 2013, 12:26 pm
Assistant to Minister Granger

I want to third the suggestion for opening Hogsmeade to everyone.

Old April 1st, 2013, 12:27 pm
Sixth Year

I heard the news from a fellow member a few days ago, but couldn't come online as I was traveling at the time. That said, I've had a few days to think about what I wanted to say about my experience at CosForums.

I joined the forums in 2006 on the recommendation of a friend. I had never joined a forum before, nor have I since, and I wasn't really sure how involved I would become here. I was fourteen at the time, a freshman in high school.

Now I am finishing my junior year of college, and in those almost seven-odd years, I've had a lot of firsts, many of which I experienced on this website.

The first time I posted in a serious discussion about Harry Potter.

The first time someone quoted something I said and validated its worth.

The first time I was welcomed to the forum as a newbie (and confused by newbie-eating members and custard).

The first time I won a Caption Contest.

The first time I received an owl from someone.

The first time I stepped foot into Hogsmede.

The first time I got a nickname (thanks, Dags )

The first time I played Quidditch (and had to pause for breath for laughing from the hilarity that ensued, we really are a creative bunch, aren't we?)

The first time I walked into the Hogwarts Common Room (and each subsequent time I saw the renovated one with good old Fluffy sticking around in that pool).

The first time I wrote and posted fanfiction, and received comments from people telling me they liked my writing (which I look back on with terror now, but still appreciate).

The first time I welcomed the newbies.

The first time I found a place with people who shared the same common interest as me but who were so very different in so many wonderful ways.

Seven years is a long time. I've watched people come and go, and I remember that when I first joined I was struck by how close everyone seemed, how familiar, as if they'd known each other all their lives. I remember those few years when I was a part of that.

Like many people, I've strayed away from the site these past few years, at first for legitimate reasons of time and work, and then simply because it just didn't occur to me to come back except for every few months. But I have always treasured and I will always remember my time here. I met friends, found new joys, stayed up until midnight to celebrate New Years with you guys, as well as many other holidays, be they from my culture or another. There were times when I couldn't bring myself to go offline, because I was so into a discussion or a game on the forums.

As I read these farewells of people I've come to know, people I've seen often but never spoken too, or people I've never seen before, I feel truly touched by how much we all care for this place, and it makes me realize how much I will miss it. I wish I had found it sooner, the stories I hear from the Ancients are truly amazing.

So in these last few months I want to spend as much time as possible just being here with all of you. I wish I could save every thread and post on this site to my computer (even the ones I've never posted in). Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this place over the years, mod or member. You have truly given me something special.

-Smartie

Twins on a Train
Working With the Weasleys
No Chance
Runaway

Proud member of OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Old April 1st, 2013, 1:21 pm
Splendide Mendax

You're welcome, Smartie.

Would you be a dear and help me have a first on CoS? I'd like to slap a few mods into submission...

Old April 1st, 2013, 1:53 pm
First Year

If anyone is interested, there is a group on MyLeaky (The Leaky Cauldron social network) called Repopulate Leaky 2012. It says 2012, but they're really only getting started. The forums over there go way back to 2005, I think, so they're pretty established. But just like CoS, they aren't as big as they were when the books were coming out. Melissa and some of the other webmasters have plans to update the site soon and we don't want them to forget about MyLeaky.

Please join and start posting. It's unfortunate the CoS has to go, but let's try and keep the other ones alive if we can.

Thanks again.

Old April 1st, 2013, 3:32 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I haven't been on in so long! I think I still remember how to do this...

I wanted to just say thank you to you all! Thank you for your hard word over all these years in giving people a place to play nicely or somewhat nicely *coughsnapethreadscough*. Thank you for your service and moderating. This place will always be part of the Harry Potter experience for me. It was a place that filled me with the warm and fuzzies of going home. I'm so thankful for all the people I've met and befriended from this site. It's funny when I explain to people how I know some of you, "Oh you know, we met in a Harry Potter forum." I will miss knowing this place is here, but I like knowing I can still find so many of you other places! It might be time to dust off my old LJ account again...

Peace! Love! and may the road go ever on...

Old April 1st, 2013, 4:13 pm
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
I want to third the suggestion for opening Hogsmeade to everyone.
On one practical side of things I don't think that's a great idea. As a protected sub-forum of this site, I think a lot of members of Hogsmeade have felt free to share more personal information--names, websites, photos of themselves--than they would like to have available to the general public. A public which, these days let's face it, could include spammers, scammers, predators, and trolls.

Old April 1st, 2013, 4:27 pm
Eldest Gruff

Yep, that's the main reason why Hogsmeade won't be opened ever - it needs to stay a protected area. However nice and kind the idea is, really.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old April 1st, 2013, 5:19 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertiekeddle View Post
Yep, that's the main reason why Hogsmeade won't be opened ever - it needs to stay a protected area. However nice and kind the idea is, really.
Understandable gertie. There are just too many people who'd try to take advantage of things and try to do some stuff that just isn't very nice. They can be just real jerks and ruin stuff for others. And that wouldn't be good.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; April 1st, 2013 at 5:23 pm.
Old April 1st, 2013, 6:07 pm
Seventh Year

Or, you can keep it the Hogsmeade group private but vet those who request to enter. For example, person X wants to enter, but he or she must have at least one current Hogsmeade member knows them from CoS and can support them entering.

That's how I run my Facebook group. Someone already a member of the Group must tell me or another admin that they know them from my old forum. Then I approve their app.

That way, it keeps out the spammers, trolls, and what-not.

"No dictator... No invader... Can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the Universe, than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments, and tyrants, and armies cannot stand. Though it take a Thousand Years. We. Will. Be. Free." -- Citizen G'Kar, Babylon 5
Old April 1st, 2013, 6:21 pm
Fifth Year

Wow. It's been years since I was really an active member, though I've come back sometimes to read threads and just check on things. Of course, I do understand and agree that it's probably time to let the site go.

That said, the letting go breaks my heart. This site was a huge part of my life as a teenager. I said stupid things and made absurd theories and got in silly arguments and learned what it felt like to be surrounded by people who shared my biggest obsession; l loved every minute of it. So thank you to Matt, to the other mods/staff, and to everyone else, for making it all possible. My time here with you will always be a treasured memory.

Old April 1st, 2013, 6:21 pm
Second Year

*GULP* guys, is it cold in here or is it just me?

Severus Snape ~ The Boy Who Loved
Old April 1st, 2013, 6:23 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

I'm really, really sad to see the forum go. I haven't read through all the comments and suggestions and whatnot yet - I will get to that shortly. And I'll have to get to all my wonderful memories that come from CoS and the people here.

I, for one, hoped that this site would outlast all other HP sites & forums. I have children who are reading the books for the first time, and I can see a time in a year or two where they would like to have a place to chat about HP with likeminded people.

And that is the best part of CoS - it attracted, for the most part, really good people.

I have to wonder if there were ways to keep it going in a scaled down format. I understand it's more than cost that is at issue, time is a major factor as well. But I wonder if much of the site was streamlined, how would that affect the monthly costs?

I know Matt said he was unwilling to take donations, but why? I always felt bad that there wasn't an annual fund drive to cover costs. I never thought the whole forum should be paid out of pocket for one person. And honestly if asked, I would have given regularly. I've gotten a lot of personal joy and satisfaction out of being a member of this site, and I've always felt bad that I didn't give back more.

This is just my initial reaction to the news. I definitely appreciate all the time and effort and love that has been put into this site over the years by the staff and the members. Replicating something as awesome as this has been will be nearly impossible.

Old April 1st, 2013, 7:28 pm
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

Accepting donations creates a responsibility to keep it going. Accepting such a responsibility wouldn't make sense as CoS has been dying a slow death for a time already. During this winter we have seldom seen more than a handful if even that many names on the marauders' map at a time.

Old April 1st, 2013, 7:31 pm
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
Accepting donations creates a responsibility to keep it going. Accepting such a responsibility wouldn't make sense as CoS has been dying a slow death for a time already. During this winter we have seldom seen more than a handful if even that many names on the marauders' map at a time.
And you know, despite my initial fury at the news, I think this scenario still plays out better than an alternative funding option that would either fundamentally change the nature of the forums or risk a sudden closure without time to adjust.

Old April 1st, 2013, 7:38 pm
Splendide Mendax

With all due respect, Alastor, accepting donations just means covering the expenses.

I don't think any member of this board expects things to be as they were in HP heyday... we just expect (hope? wish?) CoS starting page to still be there when we type the address into the bar.

Fold it, restrict it, do whatever the hell you want with it EXCEPT erasing its entire existence.

Old April 1st, 2013, 7:44 pm
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by canismajoris View Post
And you know, despite my initial fury at the news, I think this scenario still plays out better than an alternative funding option that would either fundamentally change the nature of the forums or risk a sudden closure without time to adjust.
Yes. There are times in life when we just must accept to leave things behind us and move on to new adventures. I'm as sad as any of you, but I don't see the benefit of artificially revive CoS.

CoS itself once rose as a phoenix from the ashes of a failed forum. Maybe someone is able to breed a new phoenix from ours (even if we didn't fail, just waned away). I wish anyone who wants to try good luck!

Old April 1st, 2013, 7:51 pm
Renegade

Some things can't be improved upon. Think for a moment. Would a diminished CoS really be what you'd want to replace it? Sometimes it's just best to let go. Remember the good times always, but don't cling until CoS is something less than we've all experienced here.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Closed Thread
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services