Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services

Comment on: CoS Forums Closure

Closed Thread

Old April 1st, 2013, 8:03 pm
Squee-worthy

Re: Comment on: CoS Forums Closure

I can understand the frustration of there just being nothing left when you type in the URL but I can also understand that there is little point in keeping a site that really isn't CoS around.

Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2013, 8:06 pm
First Year

I've been a member off & on throughout these years, but I've always come to read the debates on these forums. I'm not ashamed to say I'm teary-eyed upon learning these forums will close. Thank you all for so many years of thought-provoking and entertaining debating.

Old April 1st, 2013, 8:09 pm
Splendide Mendax

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehawk View Post
Some things can't be improved upon. Think for a moment. Would a diminished CoS really be what you'd want to replace it? Sometimes it's just best to let go. Remember the good times always, but don't cling until CoS is something less than we've all experienced here.
Well...
A difference in "Joined" numbers unfortunately forces a difference in perspective - when I joined, CoS was already "diminished".

But I will respect the decision of those whose time was infinitely more invested in CoS than mine and, on that note, respectfully bow out of the collective moping for the next few months.

Mods, admins, consider yourselves virtually hugged.
Crazies - I'll see you around.

Old April 1st, 2013, 8:19 pm
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggerstone View Post
Crazies - I'll see you around.
No, you will only believe you saw me around. Who's crazy now???

Old April 1st, 2013, 8:52 pm
Secret Keeper

Well, as one of the top posters I suppose I should comment at least once in this thread...

My life has been quite transformed now but it wasn't too long ago that I seemed to be stuck in a deep depression and found escape/refuge in HP and this forum. I met many friends here (and somehow developed quite a few enemies too) and took part in many great discussions. I'll be sad to see this place go even though I have hardly been on here since the final movie was released. I'd like to give a shout out to the members of Princewatch and the helpers of the All-Inclusive Lists! And a thanks I suppose to all the volunteers that ran this place even though I often times felt you were being too extreme and tyrannical and I wish I still had my Hogsmeade status...

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!
Old April 1st, 2013, 9:10 pm
Member of the Order

*raises an eyebrow*

Anyway...I'm just waiting for Valerie, Steve, Ali, daniel4hp, Manyasha, pasalita, Inkwolf, Emma, Benzo...oh heck, a whole lot of others....to chime in...

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old April 1st, 2013, 9:23 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
Just a quick post and run...The Leakey Lounge Forums seems to have been redone. It's...well, I guess it's a refuge of a sort.
They're in the process of moving to different servers or to a different board or something. We're going through the same issues that this site is going through--less active posters, spammers, and money costs. But, we're keeping it open (I say we even though I really have nothing to do with it, I just work on the Galleries side of things) or at least trying to. The moving process is crazy, though, and if you already have an account with Leaky you might have problems logging in. It doesn't make much sense, since spammers can get accounts, but I can't log in to mine (but I can get it to send me a password retrieval email).

Anyway...

I'm going to miss this site. This is one of the friendliest places I've ever been to. People compete to have the most posts. It's a badge of honor to have a high number. Other places I've been I got picked on for having a high number. People bragged about averaging 3.5 posts a day. Otherwise it meant you didn't have a life. You can have a life and be active on a forum. Not that I have a life, but I think it is possible, especially with how mobile the internet has become.

And we can talk about almost anything here, not just Harry Potter. I've had discussions on so many topics--Survivor, The Big Bang Theory, FRIENDS, Politics, baseball, football, other countries/nationalities, religion, other books...there are so many things I've learned about here that I would never know. I may not be into such and such but I am well informed--Dr. Who, for instance. For a show I don't watch I know an awful lot about it.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old April 1st, 2013, 9:27 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
and if you already have an account with Leaky you might have problems logging in. It doesn't make much sense, since spammers can get accounts, but I can't log in to mine (but I can get it to send me a password retrieval email).
Couldn't log in, or even get an email for retrieval...I'm thinking of simply reregistering.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

Old April 1st, 2013, 9:32 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrienie View Post
If anyone is interested, there is a group on MyLeaky (The Leaky Cauldron social network) called Repopulate Leaky 2012. It says 2012, but they're really only getting started. The forums over there go way back to 2005, I think, so they're pretty established. But just like CoS, they aren't as big as they were when the books were coming out. Melissa and some of the other webmasters have plans to update the site soon and we don't want them to forget about MyLeaky.

Please join and start posting. It's unfortunate the CoS has to go, but let's try and keep the other ones alive if we can.

Thanks again.
Yes, please, do! Thank you for spreading the word, adrienie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
Couldn't log in, or even get an email for retrieval...I'm thinking of simply reregistering.
I'd do it, too, except I'd lose all my mod privileges so I'm waiting until upper management tells me what to do.

Something I want to add, which I have been thinking about. It's funny, it's used to be we'd balk our noses at advertising and what not. Oh, no, I will do whatever it takes to never see an ad on this website, blah, blah, blah. But, now? This isn't just here but other sites people request ads all the time to help with cost and stuff. It's a different world now.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old April 1st, 2013, 10:03 pm
MODLY CREW

CoS sets the standards really high and it's a measure any other forum I registered with has to live up to. Most other places I've been to have a much nastier, more aggressive tone, and rudeness seems to come with the territory of online communication. Not here. It's been such a pleasurable routine to come here daily. It will feel strange to no longer be able to check Legilimency Studies, the staff area, and to rabidly refresh Magical Me whenever I'm in need of procrastination. Of course, the good days are gone. I remember times when 50 subscribed threads had updates after five hours of having been away from CoS, and when discussions moved so quickly that one had to only refresh every minute to see three new pages of wild speculations and brand new theories. Moderating the site then was crazy in all the good ways.

I'll miss the discussions. I don't think any other forum offers such breadth and quality. One can be as silly and as philosophical as one wants to be and I love that. I'll also miss the people. I made great friends here and I'll always fondly remember the London Release party complete with custom T-shirts and soap box in Speaker's Corner.

I'm so, so grateful to all admins and my fellow staff members in general, to Matt in particular, and to the red and blue (and green and yellow) names that are long gone for making this such a wonderful place and creating an enjoyable team atmosphere. I loved working with you, a long-time employment without pay but lots of goodies, such as user title changes, hijacked signatures (hello, care bears, puppies, ponies, pchocolate, and ), lots of owls and a good laugh every now and then.

I'll kind of also miss the spammers and rule violators, the incorrigibles and contentious objectors (see what I did there?) for having kept this interesting. You kept the boredom at bay. The good and the bad, CoS members really helped me to better understand people and group dynamics, and the ever-present fear of conspiracies.Thanks for that!

Group hug!

Old April 1st, 2013, 10:19 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Do you think you can look at CoS via the waybackmachine or similar websites once the site is gone? I feel like I need at least a screen shot I can stare at and I'll be happy. Just to see the place that's my online home for the last 8 years.

The End of the Dream.
Old April 1st, 2013, 10:20 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
I'll kind of also miss the spammers and rule violators, the incorrigibles and contentious objectors (see what I did there?)
I should wonder to whom could you be referring to...

*not a contentious objector...*******

Old April 1st, 2013, 10:22 pm
Renegade

I'm wearing my "Chamber of Secrets" tee today. I wore it just once when it first arrived, laundered it and put it away for safekeeping. Today seemed both safe and keeping.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old April 1st, 2013, 10:27 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehawk View Post
I'm wearing my "Chamber of Secrets" tee today.
Are they still for sale???

Severus Snape ~ The Boy Who Loved
Old April 1st, 2013, 10:31 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

No they are not for sale anymore. They were not official T-shirts authorized by CoS. But CoS did get money for it. They are still a nice keepsake though.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer

Last edited by Hes; April 1st, 2013 at 10:35 pm.
Old April 1st, 2013, 11:03 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

A consortium of investors from Abu Dhabi, Qatar or Shanghai should buy this site and add it to their extensive portfolio of international businesses and holdings.

Old April 1st, 2013, 11:14 pm
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

Quote:
CoS sets the standards really high and it's a measure any other forum I registered with has to live up to.
Oh come on, I've been bad and I've been contrite, but don't make me roll my eyes.

Old April 1st, 2013, 11:24 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
CoS sets the standards really high and it's a measure any other forum I registered with has to live up to. Most other places I've been to have a much nastier, more aggressive tone, and rudeness seems to come with the territory of online communication. Not here. It's been such a pleasurable routine to come here daily. It will feel strange to no longer be able to check Legilimency Studies, the staff area, and to rabidly refresh Magical Me whenever I'm in need of procrastination. Of course, the good days are gone. I remember times when 50 subscribed threads had updates after five hours of having been away from CoS, and when discussions moved so quickly that one had to only refresh every minute to see three new pages of wild speculations and brand new theories. Moderating the site then was crazy in all the good ways.

I'll miss the discussions. I don't think any other forum offers such breadth and quality. One can be as silly and as philosophical as one wants to be and I love that. I'll also miss the people. I made great friends here and I'll always fondly remember the London Release party complete with custom T-shirts and soap box in Speaker's Corner.

I'm so, so grateful to all admins and my fellow staff members in general, to Matt in particular, and to the red and blue (and green and yellow) names that are long gone for making this such a wonderful place and creating an enjoyable team atmosphere. I loved working with you, a long-time employment without pay but lots of goodies, such as user title changes, hijacked signatures (hello, care bears, puppies, ponies, pchocolate, and ), lots of owls and a good laugh every now and then.

I'll kind of also miss the spammers and rule violators, the incorrigibles and contentious objectors (see what I did there?) for having kept this interesting. You kept the boredom at bay. The good and the bad, CoS members really helped me to better understand people and group dynamics, and the ever-present fear of conspiracies.Thanks for that!

Group hug!
Moriath. Other sites I've been on as well were that way, even had a chance to moderate on a site, and it was full of some jerks and some of them were people who were names I can't repeat here . It was nice to come on COS for some rest and respite during that time. It was a welcome retreat.

I generally go on Idealistshaven (an X-Files fan site) and some other sites sometimes, but they aren't as fun or enjoyable as COS was and still is.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old April 1st, 2013, 11:36 pm
First Year

Well I'm sure its for the best but I'm going to miss randomly popping into here and wandering around. Though I've been registered for nearly 9 years I've never been totally in the community... just a wandering ghost.. but I remember being so excited to come on here when there was a new book release. Anyway, thanks for everything, it's been great <3

Old April 2nd, 2013, 1:15 am
BANNED... No really they are...

I'm going to miss this place so much. It provided me with so much personal and emotional growth. It's amazing how an online site can help you fine-tune your social skills sometimes. Thank you for all the memories and the fun. Even now, there's no place like CoS that I can find anywhere.

ALL HAIL THE PIXIE QUEEN TINKIE!!
Mave, RN.
Winner of Happiest Hoggie Award (2011).
Closed Thread
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services