Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

Did Dumbledore have any real friends?

Old September 12th, 2007, 2:24 am
I want to believe

Re: Did Dumbledore have any real friends?

As a young boy I'm sure Dumbledore must have had people he associated with, even if he didn't let them get too close. I agree that after Grindelwald, it seems likely that Dumbledore may not have wanted to get too close to anyone for fear of repeating the experience and for a self-imposed punishment.

As an adult, I'm sure Dumbledore was friendly with the staff at Hogwarts, but I'm not sure he knew any of them beyond being a collegue and an aquaintance. Dumbledore seems like kind of a loner, but there must have been people he could interact with on a friendly basis even if he didn't have an especially close friend.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2007, 7:54 am
Second Year

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Hagrid yet. I didn't think of Hagrid when I created this thread, because I don't think Hagrid was a "true" friend-he was by no means as intelligent as Dumbledore, and they would never have debates over things, because Hagrid trusted Dumbledore completely, almost like a father...

That being said, Dumbledore always trusted in Hagrid's opinion, he was there to comfort Hagrid when his newspaper story broke, and he always stood up for Hagrid.

"Prison Mike, what is the very worst thing about prison?"

"The worst thing about prison was...the DEMENTORS!...they were... flyin all over the place and they were scary and they suck the soul out of your body and it hoirts!"

I The Office
Old September 12th, 2007, 9:02 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusFawkes View Post
If didn't know better, I would think I was reading a description of Voldemort more than Dumbledore. And Dumbledore was connected to at least one person, his sister. The remorse he felt at her death indicates something other than amorality.
That's the saddest thing. Dumbledore, in order to destroy Voldemort, became quite like him.

Old September 12th, 2007, 2:38 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronny View Post
That's the saddest thing. Dumbledore, in order to destroy Voldemort, became quite like him.
I guess if you think Dumbledore liked killing people for fun, creating and using Unforgivable Curses, treated his followers the same as his enemies, cared nothing about anyone's life but his own, and lorded his power over others, then maybe I could see it.

I'm a Ravenclaw!
Brains count first for you. Making judgements without intellectual justification is prejudice and ignorance.

10", Willow, Veela
Willow: you care deeply about emotions, art, and intuition, and have a knack for charms. Veela hair: slightly unpredictable but very powerful.

Old September 12th, 2007, 5:45 pm
Second Year

They're not as different as it may seem. Both are emotionally distant. Both are rather self-righteous. Both are brave enough to stand by their convictions to the end. Both use others as pawns in their own games.
I think they are rather similar. But the thing we must remember is that Voldemort was like that all the time. It was who he was. Dumbledore was that way because circumstances forced him to be. If he lived to see the end of it all then maybe things would have been different.

Old September 12th, 2007, 5:52 pm
Fallen Angel

The topic of the thread is not similarities, if any, between Voldemort and Dumbledore. Please keep the discussion to whether Dumbledore had any real friends.

Thanks.

Old September 13th, 2007, 12:24 am
Defender of Dogs

I think that in Dumbledore being Grindy's friend, he placed away all his worries, and became a free person. However, the duel with Aberforth and Grindy brought him back to his senses. That's why he's been so careful about who he put his trust in, hence not telling Harry everything and causing Sirius to die. The Dumby we thought we knew in SS-HBP wasn't who we thought he was. i.e. He didn't conquer Muggles by force. I think Grindelwald, also, is a more complex character than people give him credit for.

Old September 13th, 2007, 3:27 pm
Second Year

What's that line from CoS movie when Harry says that Dumbledore will never be gone as long as there are people here who are loyal to him? I know it's not in the text but given what MacGonagall does after Harry tells her he is working under Dumbledore's orders in Deathly Hallows and there is complete trust in her to help Harry do whatever he needs to do.

I don't know if I would call that friendship per se, but for anyone to be that loyal, kinda like between Sirius and Remus in PoA, there's more there than just being friends.

I also think we see an evolution in Dumbledore from when he had spent that time with Grindelwald that resulted in Ariana's death and what he became later. Friendship isn't always about who you can talk about ideas with, more often it's about who'll be there when you really need them.

I'm a Ravenclaw!
Brains count first for you. Making judgements without intellectual justification is prejudice and ignorance.

10", Willow, Veela
Willow: you care deeply about emotions, art, and intuition, and have a knack for charms. Veela hair: slightly unpredictable but very powerful.

Old September 13th, 2007, 3:41 pm
Second Year

Yes, I think he had Snape and I think he had Mad-Eye Moody,and there was Rubeus Hagrid and Minerva McGonagall. And there had to be more. Dumbledore was able to love so we know that he had friends.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone