Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

Dumbledore's Apparition

Old November 26th, 2007, 2:26 am
I want to believe

Re: Dumbledore's Apparition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknRollDee View Post
But Snape had gotten into the house and past the charm, hadn't he? Or was this before the charm had been put into place, I can't remember..
I believe he'd gotten into the house before the charm had been placed, at least I seem to remember Rowling saying that somewhere.

In any case, I thought this scene was a bit freaky (though not as freaky as the Bathilda scene). I'm sure the apparition of Dumbledore was meant to "haunt" Snape should he return to the house. And I'm sure it was probably designed to prevent him from entering, since the apparition only disappears when someone tells it they didn't kill Dumbledore. I agree it likely would have detected a lie if Snape had told it he hadn't killed Dumbledore.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2007, 2:50 am
Secret Keeper

somehow, i didnt even notice the thing about the apparition until i read the book the second time (which was about a few hours after finishing the book). it didn't really scare or creep me out. if i saw it, it might (I wonder how it'll be done in the movie), but it was necessary and pretty cool. to get into a place, a password seems very cliche, but useful. actually, its kind of stupid in the magical world, since any person bent on doing something like this would just use legillemency or imperio or torture it out of them. but it was still pretty cool. the apparition was just cool, no other word to put it

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old November 26th, 2007, 3:49 am
Sixth Year

I honestly don't remember Dumbledore's apparition, I just remember Moody's. Meh. But I did find that scene when the trio went into Grimmauld Place really creepy, especially with Moody asking for Snape because they never found his body. A lot of things in DH was creepy actually.

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
Old November 26th, 2007, 3:52 am
Defender of Dogs

I'm probably just missing something really obvious here, but: how did the trio manage to get past Dumbledore bysaying they didn't kill him if it was binding up their tongues? I didn't really understand that when I was reading.

Old November 26th, 2007, 3:55 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathly721 View Post
I'm probably just missing something really obvious here, but: how did the trio manage to get past Dumbledore bysaying they didn't kill him if it was binding up their tongues? I didn't really understand that when I was reading.
I thought that they just got tongue tied out of fear.... That's what I assumed anyway.

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
Old November 26th, 2007, 4:03 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirnius View Post
I don't think there is a single right phrase. I think all the intruder has to do is be able to truthfully deny responsibility for the murder of Dumbledore. (So actually, I think Snape could get past the apparition).
How would Snape be able to get by it? He did kill him and you had to be able to say you didn't in order to get by it. The specifics pertaining to whether it was by accident, plan or intent, or what one's motive was, were not a part of the deal from what was shown in canon. That is why JKR specifically said that Snape went there right after Dumbledore was killed, prior to Moody putting up the protection. That was in answer to the question of how Snape got into #12 to nick the 1/2 letter and picture. Plus the first question the protective Dumbledore asks is "Severus Snape?" and one declares they are not Snape - which of course Snape could not do.

Old December 1st, 2007, 11:52 pm
Second Year

I don't think it would have scared Snape, after all... It was on Dumbledore's orders that he killed him, so would it have really affected him? I was thinking, it couldn't have kept him out, because he searched Grimauld Place afterwards because all the rooms were searched and he had part of Lily's letter. So in essential, it didn't really work did it?

Old December 2nd, 2007, 4:25 am
First Year

We all saw what Dumbledore was like in a temper: the scene in GoF when he confronts Bart Jr. This dust-imitation of Dumbledore would be Dumbledore when he was mad, thought why he was, I don't know. The fact that Mad-Eye Moody created this apparition could have something to do with it. Maybe Mad-Eye only sees the bits in people that are warriors? I dunno.

Old December 2nd, 2007, 4:34 am
First Year

I was wondering what would have happened once the "alarm" was triggered? Would Dumbledore's apparition respond? Would there be another sort of response?
Also, what was the point of the other two precautions: The tongue-tying, and Moody's voice?
Finally, would these added precautions be able to guard against any other intruder except Snape?

Old December 2nd, 2007, 6:47 am
Third Year

can someone explain exactly how that security feature worked? it was like the only thing in the whole book i was confused about

Old December 2nd, 2007, 8:45 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbleISdead View Post
can someone explain exactly how that security feature worked? it was like the only thing in the whole book i was confused about
Yeah. I didn't get it either

Old December 2nd, 2007, 5:06 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardianswan View Post
Yeah. I didn't get it either
Agreed. What was the point of the Tongue-tying curse?