Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

Old December 4th, 2008, 1:29 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Re: What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

I always have to explain to my sister that Snape is not Mr. Nice Guy.
She only watches the movies and yeah Snape!Rickman is cool I have to admit too, but still she's never amused about me stating canon fact about Snape.

The End of the Dream.
Sponsored Links
Old December 4th, 2008, 6:04 pm
Fifth Year

Re: What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

The only person in my family who even really cares is my 7 year old son, and he's a little too young to comprehend everything even if they did include it all. I just make it a point to explain things to him during a movie when it seems really outta left field - like the Marauder's Map, I explained to him that Lupin was one of the makers, along with Harry's father, Sirius, etc.., and that helped him "get it".
I imagine as he gets older, I'll be doing that more. I can't wait for him to start reading the books himself.

Old December 24th, 2008, 12:41 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
I always have to explain to my sister that Snape is not Mr. Nice Guy.
I love Snape, but, no, Snape is not a NICE guy. Good, but not nice. And even then he WAS a DE. :P
Most of the information is in the movies, but it is said so quickly that I think it sort of goes in one ear and out the other.
Honestly, it has been some time since I read all the books. The first three I have read about a million times, but the other ones only once each. Sometimes the movies confuse me! I understand what is going on, but it happens so fast I'm like, "Wait, what?"
My boyfriend would ask questions sometimes, but nothing really all that complicated. Mostly about the Marauders and the Map (as most people have also said). After the movies though I know I had to sit down and think through the books and remember exactly what happened when because, unlike the wonderful people on here, I'm still a bit of a noob when it comes to HP and I can't exactly remember everything. :P
I certainly encourage others to read the books, but I find that if someone refuses to read something they will most likely remain steadfast in that opinion if you try to push it on them. My mother bought me the first two books when, I think, the fourth first came out. I bought the third for my mother for Christmas and she never read it I ask her sometimes, but she says she probably never will. Which is fine and all, but she expects me to read tons of spiritual books all the time so I kind of get miffed that she won't take the time to read at least the first one. Meh. Her loss, I suppopse.

"I suspect Nargles."
Old January 12th, 2009, 5:28 am
First Year

I remember having to explain PoA from scratch when I was in high school. One of my friends said, "Why was Harry's thing a deer? I'm pretty sure it was a deer!" Followed by a long-winded rant from me.

Old January 17th, 2009, 12:52 am
Second Year

I usually have to explain some of the deeper themes to my family, or fill them in on a scene that was cut so the plot makes more sense. Same goes for some of my friends who are more casual about their reading of the books.

I think you're cool, and I'd like to be your friend
Old August 22nd, 2009, 11:37 am
Third Year

A lot of people that don't watch the movies that I know seem to be confused as to the point of Dobby. Everyone asks me why he is in the 2nd one and if there is really even a point to him. I usually just say he has a point but will be brought upon later.

Proud member of

-She is the definition of perfect-
Old August 22nd, 2009, 1:43 pm
Second Year

A LOT! Actually just two weeks back I was watching HBP with a few of my friends and I literally had to give them a running commentary throughout the movie as to what was happening and why. I don't mind it though.

Old August 25th, 2009, 3:54 am
First Year

Everything, lol.

Old August 25th, 2009, 4:16 am
Third Year

The entire series, pretty much.
My brother and his girlfriend watch HBP a couple of weeks ago, and surprisingly enough, they really liked it (my brother makes fun of me for my HP obsession). I was driving with him one day and he asked me about the movie and I told him a few things, a few details about the movie they left out in the book. Little did I know that I was going to explain the entire series to him all the way back home.
It really started with HBP; I explained how, although it was a great movie, they left a lot from the book. Then he asked, "Like what?" And I went on this huge rant about it and he seemed interested, which was also very surprising. I explained how the explanation of Snape being the half-blood prince was way off, they he started asking about Snape and his deal, so I began explaining The Prince's Tale (he really didn't mind me spoiling him since he never reads.) From the Prince's Tale, it went on to Dumbledore's reasoning behind EVERYTHING, and here and there I would throw in some random facts about other characters associated with the topic I was explaining.
Even though it takes quite a lot out of me to explain HP, it's definitely fun.

Old August 25th, 2009, 4:17 am
Fourth Year

My wife can not understand why I like this series so much. If it is on TV and I linger on the channel I get asked to change it...and not always nicely

-JR

Just & Loyal
Old August 25th, 2009, 4:25 am
First Year

lots....

philosopher's stone: why voldemort is on the back of quirrel's head
chamber of secrets: how ginny is posessed by voldemort
prisoner of azkaban: all about the marauders, and sometimes about the whole peter pettigrew situation
golbet of fire: why harry's name was able to come out of the goblet, and who barty crouch jr. is
order of phoenix: too much to list
half blood prince: only the whole pensieve concept

and i always get the question: why do you like harry potter so much?

x:*.*:x_MeLiSsA_x*.*:x
“Tell me one last thing,” said Harry. “Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?”
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”
Old August 25th, 2009, 5:36 am
Second Year

Just recently I had to explain to my Mother that Snape did not kill harry's parents.

Harry: What is it Sir?

Dumbledore: You must let Ginny tie your shoelaces.
Old August 25th, 2009, 5:40 am
Fourth Year

I actually have this massive summary/outline of the entire series that I made when DH was released. When the films come out, I often have to recount the events of the entire previous film for the casual viewers: my family, some friends, etc, so having the essentials written down helps with that immensely.

Proud Member of Gryffindor
The Marauders: The Beginning of the End
Feedback

"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees the others."
--Aristotle
Old August 26th, 2009, 1:38 pm
Second Year

One of my friends recently saw all of the movies, and she had so many questions!

Can't remember everything but i remember her asking about the prophecy and what it meant exactly... or about Tom Riddle's background. She made me realize how confusing the movies are, haha!
She also asked about the vanishing cabinet in HBP etc, all the details about things happening and characters, really. There's so many things left out! I keep telling her to just read the books.... :P

Old August 27th, 2009, 12:29 am
Lycanthrope

One of the friends I went with to see HBP hadn't seen any of the other movies or read the books, so he had a few questions we had to explain, but the funniest was "so which one was Voldemort?" .

Old August 27th, 2009, 12:32 am
Third Year

"What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?"

that Hermione and Harry are not romantically involved.

Old August 27th, 2009, 3:45 am
Third Year

- Harry and Hermione aren't together together
- The Prophecy
- The whole Snape-is-really-a-good-guy-not-a-double-crossing-murderer
- Snape and dumbledore planned his Death
- The Marauders Bullied Snape In School
- Priori Incantatum (sp?)
- The whole Horcrux Scenario
-Ron ISN'T good at quidditch, the movies just show one fluky match
- Hermione Loves Ron

oh actually loads,,, not all of them are important main events, just little things

and these things plus ones i've not mentioned, are what i've had to explain to my younger brother who struggles to read. (:

The world isn't split into good people and Death Eaters. We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are. -Sirius Black.
Old August 27th, 2009, 7:34 pm
P.A. to Lucius Malfoy

Dumbledore stated that Horcruxes can be anything. So, my dad thought that Voldemort's Horcruxes could be absolutely anything, even ordinary objects like the Portkeys in GoF. So, I had to explain that Voldemort collected trophies, grand items or of personal value (Nagini) and explain each item.

Old August 27th, 2009, 8:19 pm
Fifth Year

Is Voldemort bad?

I was in utter disbelief.

~ A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world. ~
Old August 27th, 2009, 9:02 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
One of the friends I went with to see HBP hadn't seen any of the other movies or read the books, so he had a few questions we had to explain, but the funniest was "so which one was Voldemort?" .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacred_Memories View Post
Is Voldemort bad?

I was in utter disbelief.
Hahaha these two are the funniest How can you possibly think that even if you haven't read the books?!

I've always gone to watch the movies with most of the people who have read the books, and just a fair few who haven't read the books... and who are also too dim to remember what's already been happening in the last few movies

I personally feel that the movies are not THAT bad as everyone makes them out to be for explaining things. It's just I can't really judge what kind of impression they leave behind for non-readers, because as I've already mentioned my non-reader friends are sort of.. well.. dim anyways ... so I don't really expect them to get anything Afterwards when I try to explain things to them, it gets too confusing, and they just reply with 'Eh.. whatever it's just Harry Potter anyways'

"Has Ron saved a goal yet?" asked Hermione.
"Well, he can do it if he thinks no one is watching him," said Fred, rolling his eyes. "So all we have to do is ask the crowd to turn their backs and talk among themselves every time the Quaffle goes up on his end Saturday."
- PeerlessKid -

Last edited by PeerlessKid; August 28th, 2009 at 6:17 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies