Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

How did Dumbledore put the ring in the snitch?

Old August 31st, 2007, 10:49 pm
Second Year

How did Dumbledore put the ring in the snitch?

I wanted to know any theories about how Dumbledore put the ring in the snitch? The snitch has flesh memory and Scrimgeour explains that the snitch cannot be opened by anybody but Harry. So is this something that Dumbledore figured out how to get around or is this a mistake?

Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2007, 12:19 am
Third Year

Re: How did Dumbledore put the ring in the snitch?

That is a good question and I have no clue. It could be possible that after Harry caught it in his fisrt game it opened later on by itself and DD saved it and put the ring in it years later and closed it. (I have no idea or reason for how long the snitch would take to open on its own or why DD would save it wide open and put the ring in years later but its the only thing I can think of.)

I am useless in theories.... sorry.

I am a Harry and Luna Fan. My ship may have sunk but my love goes on.

Ya know Daniel Radcliffe is really good at fake drowning.
Old September 1st, 2007, 12:31 am
Sparkly Queen Princess

I will have to go home later and check my copy of DH, but is it possible that it can be opened (no idea how) by someone other than Harry until it actually contains an object?

Or even that it has the ability to perform this function of acting like a safe, but that function has to be activated by a charm or enchantment?

Hmm, I'm just throwing out theories here.

Old September 1st, 2007, 12:44 am
I want to believe

That's a very good question. My best guess is that Dumbledore was aware of some advanced or obscure charm that was able to open the Snitch in order to put the ring inside.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old September 1st, 2007, 1:24 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
That's a very good question. My best guess is that Dumbledore was aware of some advanced or obscure charm that was able to open the Snitch in order to put the ring inside.
Maybe, but why did he saved the first Snitch Harry caught?
Do Hogwarts replace the snitch every single game of the year?

Old September 1st, 2007, 1:35 am
Sparkly Queen Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
Maybe, but why did he saved the first Snitch Harry caught?
I don't think it is likely that they keep the same snitch throughout the years, even still, it is even less likely given that in OotP Harry accidentally steals the snitch and it ends up buzzing around the common room.

The fact that Dumbledore still had the one Harry caught his first year implies that he was either a sentimental old guy or he knew he would have to use in in this or some similar way at some point.

Old September 1st, 2007, 1:46 am
First Year

The cheeky answer is of course MAGIC! but seriouslly (or is it Siriusly) the snitches would probably be saved just like football or baseball players (or Hockey since I'm canadian) keep a game ball of sentimental value. So Dumbledore kept the snitch for Harry knowing it may come in handy because of the unusual way he caught it. As for putting the stone inside there probably is a spell to open a snitch and hide something in it.

Last edited by Verilance; September 1st, 2007 at 1:47 am. Reason: can't spell
Old September 1st, 2007, 1:48 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASM View Post
I don't think it is likely that they keep the same snitch throughout the years, even still, it is even less likely given that in OotP Harry accidentally steals the snitch and it ends up buzzing around the common room.

The fact that Dumbledore still had the one Harry caught his first year implies that he was either a sentimental old guy or he knew he would have to use in in this or some similar way at some point.
Yeah, it's doubtful they'd only have one snitch...But what I'm wondering, how did they know it was the first snitch he caught? I don't remember the line in book so I'm just grasping at faded memories here but could he have just said that to have Scrimgeour be less suspicious of why DD would leave him the snitch...

Edit: Just remembering about how he got it to show the words "I open at the close" on it, but still..Couldn't it have merely been another snitch he had caught, a more recent one....Unless Dumbledore really is that sentimental about Harrys first snitch.

Gryffindor Till The End

Last edited by Sesshoumaru; September 1st, 2007 at 1:53 am.
Old September 1st, 2007, 1:51 am
First Year

It said in Dumbledore's will that it was.
"I leave the snitch he caught in his first Quidditch match at Hogwarts, as a reminder of the rewards of perserverance and skill pg 107" canadian edition DH

Old September 1st, 2007, 1:58 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verilance View Post
It said in Dumbledore's will that it was.
"I leave the snitch he caught in his first Quidditch match at Hogwarts, as a reminder of the rewards of perserverance and skill pg 107" canadian edition DH
Ah, thank you. So maybe Dumbledore really was just extremely sentimental XD I don't think even he would have planned that far ahead as to think he might need it someday as a storage device.

Gryffindor Till The End
Old September 1st, 2007, 3:31 am
Secret Keeper

Well, this is Dumbledore we are talking about. I guess there would be ways to split the snitch, put the ring in there, and use a charm like reparo or something. That's the only thing I can think of.

Actually, what I want to know it how he made it so that it would only open "at the close".

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old September 1st, 2007, 3:40 am
Fifth Year

Just reading that bit and it says Scrimgeour says that Dumbledore might've enchanted it to open only for Harry.

Suppose it opened for anyone before Dumbledore got his hands on it? Then he busted out some "prodigious magical skills" on it to only open for Harry.

"Well uhhhhh" - Arsene Wenger
Old September 1st, 2007, 4:44 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
Well, this is Dumbledore we are talking about. I guess there would be ways to split the snitch, put the ring in there, and use a charm like reparo or something. That's the only thing I can think of.

Actually, what I want to know it how he made it so that it would only open "at the close".
Probably just a charm that was set to reveal itself when it was placed in Harrys mouth (He did put it in his mouth, did he not? Mimicking when he first caught it and then that's when the writing appeared)

He probably knew the Ministry would try to examine it and that if he had it have the words appear when touched by Harry that they would be able to see what it said too (Though, wouldn't be able to figure it out, but would find it suspicious)

Gryffindor Till The End
Old September 1st, 2007, 4:58 am
Second Year

Dumbledore's a pretty smart guy...the words 'pretty smart guy' REALLY don't say just how smart he is-but anyway.]
I trust that he did some extremely complicated charm or something.

Old September 1st, 2007, 5:23 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
Yes. Snitches are used for only one game - because of their flesh memory. The idea is that if there is a controversy at the end about who actually caught the snitch (say if it's close, and one seeker manages to wrestle it out of the other's hand right after the catch) the snitch can identify who touched it first.

In terms of why Dumbledore kept it - he was proud of Harry - almost like a father - and so it was natural that he'd keep a souvenir of Harry's first real victory. I doubt that seekers were normally allowed to keep the snitches they caught (they were probably used for practices, I'd imagine) so Dumbledore couldn't show favoritism by letting Harry keep it. Years later, as Dumbledore realized that Harry was a horcrux and Dumbledore realized that the Hallows were all now at Hogwarts, he figured it was a good way to give one of the Hallows to Harry without it being too easy.

Old September 1st, 2007, 7:48 am
Fifth Year

This kind of flesh memory thing makes me wonder, though... What happens if a guy swipes at a snitch and touches it, but doesn't grab it fully, and the snitch isn't caught?.... Idea for another thread, I suppose.

"Well uhhhhh" - Arsene Wenger
Old September 1st, 2007, 1:44 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
That seems to be the most logical thing Dumbledore could have done. Anyway, this is the great Dumbledore we're talking about. I'm sure a wizard such as him has the ability to open and close a snitch.

Old September 1st, 2007, 1:52 pm
Seventh Year

Maybe the Snitch can be manually opened at will after its first catch, but if you put a special Snitch-locking spell on it, it stays shut until its original catcher touches it?

Old September 1st, 2007, 2:35 pm
First Year

My best guess would be that his first snitch was kept to be placed in the trophy case after he graduates. Possibly it could be opened using the sword, as Harry was a true gryfindor, but I can't say for sure how he got it open. Dubledore knew magic that others did not, even Voldemort did not know things that Dumbledore knew, so we shall never know for sure how he opened it.

I LOVE MAGIC!!!!!!
Old September 1st, 2007, 5:50 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Yeah!
But that doesn't explain why Dumbledore had it. I think he took it because he knew it would have been a good shell, seen the strange way Harry opened it... but, maybe, he had it just for sentimental reason.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone