Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Is there anything in the movies that you like more than in the books?

Old July 27th, 2010, 1:27 am
Second Year

Re: Is there anything in the movies that you like more than in the books?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops View Post
Any quidditch sequences, for the obvious reason that a sport is not that interesting to read in a book. You can always tell that the quidditch scenes were the ones Jo had the least pleasure writing.
Completely agree. Maybe that's why they were my least favorite scenes to read, too.
I have to disagree with you there. I really enjoyed reading the quidditch sequences. Clearly J.K. Rowling doesn't know a lot about sports; giving 150 points to the team that catches the snitch makes everything else going on a bit meaningless. But I loved Oliver Wood's character and I crack up every time Leo Jordan's commenting a game and who didn't laugh out loud when Luna commented the Gryffindor vs. Hufflepuff game in Harry's sixth year?

Old July 27th, 2010, 2:12 am
Seventh Year

It's not that I disliked everything quidditch on the page (LOVE Luna's commentary, as any sane person should), but I enjoy those scenes more in the movies.

Old July 27th, 2010, 8:37 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numenorian View Post
But I loved Oliver Wood's character and I crack up every time Leo Jordan's commenting a game and who didn't laugh out loud when Luna commented the Gryffindor vs. Hufflepuff game in Harry's sixth year?
You're talking about the character moments in the Quidditch matches, which I also enjoy--like Harry scaring the pants off Draco by sending his patronus after him! But the actual description of the match itself . . . *yawn*

Old July 31st, 2010, 3:29 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
You're talking about the character moments in the Quidditch matches, which I also enjoy--like Harry scaring the pants off Draco by sending his patronus after him! But the actual description of the match itself . . . *yawn*
Yeah that's true, most quidditch matches on itself aren't that entertaining to read. The World Cup final was pretty cool though.

Old July 31st, 2010, 7:37 pm
First Year

There's no director of photography in the books, so we can't enjoy the gorgeous images of the films. The cinematography is what makes me like the films so much, especially Half-Blood Prince. I re-read HBP one week ago, for the first time since the movie came out, and it seemed strange without Bruno Delbonnel's chiaroscuro, dark clouds and sepia/black & white palette.

Also, I like Harry the character more in the movies than in the books. In the books, it shocks me how he can sometimes be selfish, arrogant and manipulative, but in the movies he's lovely and sympathetic, thanks to Dan Radcliffe's charisma.

Old July 31st, 2010, 8:42 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by franckolat View Post
In the books, it shocks me how he can sometimes be selfish, arrogant and manipulative, but in the movies he's lovely and sympathetic, thanks to Dan Radcliffe's charisma.
I actually would disagree with you here. Yes, Harry can sometimes be selfish, arrogant, and manipulative, and a right git sometimes, but that's what makes him human. If he was a perfect good guy all the time, I would probably just yawn.

I do like the scenery of the movies, particularly Hogwarts itself. The castle was so much more beautiful than it was in my head.

They can't just have Harry Potter stroll up to Umbridge and say, "Morning, old hag, mind if I have that Horcrux 'round your neck? Sorry to trouble you."
-what Harry could have done to save time at the Ministry

DH Movie(s) thread
Invece mi reap dolore, mai speranza

Proud Ravenclaw and Novelist/Critic

Old August 1st, 2010, 4:38 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinevere_wood View Post
I do like the scenery of the movies, particularly Hogwarts itself. The castle was so much more beautiful than it was in my head.
Oh, that's one aspect of the movies that's never bled over into my reading of the books. I still picture the castle as I always did before the movies came out.

Old August 8th, 2010, 1:21 pm
Third Year

I love the scene in HBP where Harry is comforting Hermione after Ron and Lavender kiss. I particularly liked the line "How does it feel when you see Ginny with Dean?" because it clarifies that H/Hr are just not meant to be - the first 5 films blurred that a little. I thought it was a good way to clear it up, and it was just a cute scene overall.

Old August 8th, 2010, 6:57 pm
First Year

One of my favorites is when they're in the dormitory and they're eating all of the different types of candy and just goofing off with eachother. It lightens the mood and gives the characters and more realistic and human feel.

Old August 8th, 2010, 9:26 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiggles View Post
I love the scene in HBP where Harry is comforting Hermione after Ron and Lavender kiss. I particularly liked the line "How does it feel when you see Ginny with Dean?" because it clarifies that H/Hr are just not meant to be - the first 5 films blurred that a little. I thought it was a good way to clear it up, and it was just a cute scene overall.
Yeah, Harry's relationship with Hermione is quite different in the films. He's a lot more sensitive to Hermione's feelings and compassionate to her. They are much better friends in the films, so good of friends that it sometimes overshadows Harry's friendship with Ron. In the book, it was all about Ron. Harry only tolerated Hermione when Ron was around. Ron was the heart of the trio keeping them together. Harry kinda used Hermione in the books, if you think about it. He was still her friend but they didn't have much in common. In the films, they are the best of friends.

I do understand why they changed it in the films since they needed a leading lady so beefed up Emma's role and they felt the need to make Harry into a much sweeter, nicer guy in the films and that's cool, I guess but Harry does lose some of his nerve and gut in the films.

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Old August 8th, 2010, 9:41 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
They are much better friends in the films, so good of friends that it sometimes overshadows Harry's friendship with Ron. In the book, it was all about Ron. Harry only tolerated Hermione when Ron was around. Ron was the heart of the trio keeping them together. Harry kinda used Hermione in the books, if you think about it.
I wouldn't go that far. Harry had his points of real insensitivity, but he and Hermione were good friends in the books too, and not just because of Ron. What you say about playing up the leading lady is a good point, but I also think that once Dan and Emma were cast, and they had an even better rapport than their characters on the page, they had made the solid choice of playing that up somewhat more onscreen.

Old August 9th, 2010, 11:06 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiggles View Post
Me too - I cried during that scene, I thought Emma's and Daniel's acting was so good, and it really was something that showed how close Hermione and Harry are as just friends.

There's are also a couple of things I agree that were better in the movie then in the book. But there's another thing I think I haven't read yet, and that's when Harry and Ron first meet. In the book, Ron knows he's going to sit with the Harry Potter. In the movie, he seemed, IMO, truly suprised he was sitting with the famous Harry Potter. I think he said something like 'So it's true', but I don't think he thought it was him before he went sitting with him. I don't quite know how to explain it, but I found that little difference remarkable, and I liked it better in the movie. Although, to be honest, it doesn't bother me that much. It was just something I always liked better in the movie.

"I don't go looking for trouble. Trouble usually finds me."

Old August 22nd, 2010, 12:08 pm
First Year

The hospital scene in HBP! They exaggerated Ron's croaking of "Er-my-nee" with Hermione actually sitting down on his bed, holding his hand and blushing (ok so maybe it wasn't obvious that she was blushing but I COULD FEEL HER BLUSH lol). <3

Old August 22nd, 2010, 1:19 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneekyMarauder View Post
One of my favorites is when they're in the dormitory and they're eating all of the different types of candy and just goofing off with eachother. It lightens the mood and gives the characters and more realistic and human feel.

I love that scene
I was like finally, they're acting like normal teenagers haha :')

I like the scenes in the third film where they film the whomping willow during the different seasons. It's a good way to distinguish when the weather changes and stuff, otherwise the whole film can blue together and make it seem like it happens over like, two weeks. :')

You may not like him minister,
but you can't deny,
Dumbledore's got style."

Tom Riddle
Don't hate on Hufflepuff!
Old August 22nd, 2010, 4:16 pm
Fourth Year

Sirius's tattoos Sirius's tattoos
And the Malfoy/ferret scene in GoF was great.

"And Mary and Joseph went to Bethlehem, and Mary, who was great with child, rode a donkey, except the donkey actually ran away during rehearsals....so she in fact arrived on a small, motorized lawnmower."
Old August 24th, 2010, 3:52 pm
Second Year

I like in both HBP & OOTP ..... in the Great Hall when Hermione say to Ron (don't you ever stop eating)....and I like Ron's react in both films.........

There's only one small planet where to be, so I'm always gonna be your neighbour
Old August 24th, 2010, 4:56 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops View Post
I wouldn't go that far. Harry had his points of real insensitivity, but he and Hermione were good friends in the books too, and not just because of Ron. What you say about playing up the leading lady is a good point, but I also think that once Dan and Emma were cast, and they had an even better rapport than their characters on the page, they had made the solid choice of playing that up somewhat more onscreen.
I agree with IenjoyAcidPops. When Harry and Ron stopped talking to each other in the GOF book and Hermione becomed his only friend, JK Rowling wrote something like "Hanging around with Hermione was pleasant, but it was never as fun as spending time with Ron. Actually it was pretty dull."

In the films, Hermione seems to be a better friend than Ron. She has much more lines than him in POA, OOTP and HBP (I counted). She's not supposed to.

Old August 24th, 2010, 9:57 pm
First Year

The main scene from the movies which I liked more than in the books was the dragon task in GoF when Harry is chased by the dragon instead of taunting it off its front legs.

It also gave the watcher of the movies a good sence of just how dang fast both a dragon is and how fast and manoverable the firebolt broom is.

This is my humble opinion.

Old August 24th, 2010, 9:59 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Well, I do like that the twins are taller than Ron. In the books, he's taller, but I like that the twins are. It's, I don't know, more fitting.

Also, the time turner scene in PoA. I think it's more understandable in the movie than in the book.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old August 24th, 2010, 10:06 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

I'm not sure. There are certain elements and characters that I think would be perfect if the movie version was blended with the book version. Snape, for example. I love the way Alan Rickman portrays him - calm, kind of distant, sneering but not snapping at students - but Rickman's Snape occasionally seems to be too calm and collected. The Snape in the book can get a bit over-emotional, and yet he's supposed to be a really good occlumens, which would imply that he's great at suppressing emotion. My image of Snape is somewhere in between those two images.

Brave, Loyal, Smart.

"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?"
"So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking" ~Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies