Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

Tennis and Grand Slams

Old October 5th, 2007, 3:02 pm
Superman

Tennis and Grand Slams

It seems to me that we need a thread on tennis to discuss the various results and the years Grand Slams.

Obviously the tennis season is winding down but there is still some exciting tournaments to be played, particularly the season ending championship for both the men and women.

However, next year promises to be an exciting year with some emerging threats on the men's side and a fairly even field on the womens.

So what is everyone's thoughts and opinions?

Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2007, 3:13 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Re: Tennis and Grand Slams

I have high hopes for Novak Djokovic to give Federer some serious trouble in the future. Nadal is obviously a threat on hard court and gravel. But Djokovic should be able to frustrate Federer on every surface.

As for the Ladies, it's so diverse, everyone can win anything. I like the rise of the Serbian players Jankovic and Ivanovic, they seem genuinely nice girls.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old October 6th, 2007, 8:29 am
Curse Breaker

I really don't know about the great impersonator. He has a world of talent, and he has big wins to his credit--but how do you think his loss at the U.S. Open will affect him? He could either redouble his efforts realizing he was *that close* to knocking off Federer in his first Grand Slam final, or he could take months, or even full seasons to recover from blowing such a huge chance. I have a feeling that he'll prove to be resilient, but it's still an open question. Nadal's a threat on most surfaces, including hardcourts...IF he stays healthy. That's becoming a bigger issue as time passes because the type of game he plays requires full-out exertion on every point. Of course, maybe the adjusted season will keep him healthy from the Aussie through Wimbeldon and he'll still be fresh when the hardcourt season begins.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old November 8th, 2007, 9:17 pm
Sixth Year

I've been watching some of the women's year ending championship this week. Perhaps the big news so far would be Serena Williams withdrawing during play because of injury. She was replaced my Marion Bartoli. And from what I understand, Venus Williams withdrew for the tournament before it began making room for Sharapova. While I agree that there tends to be more of a "who will win?" feeling on the women's side, I think Justine Henin is the dominant player on the women's side. Perhaps just not as dominant or at least not as widely recognized as dominant as Roger Federer is on the men's side.

I've been hearing lots of talk about scandals in tennis recently. Since the International Tennis Federation started investigating a Davydenko match based on betting irregularity a few months ago, a number of players have come forward admitting to having been offered bribes to throw matches. Martina Hingis retired again recently after her urine samples at Wimbledon tested positive for cocaine. And just this week I've read that they are also now investigating whether Tommy Haas might have been poisoned when Germany played Russia in Davis Cup.

I'm still looking forward to the Men's Master's Series Championship and the Davis Cup Final before the end of this season.

What happens to a plimpy that comes to the Breakfast Club?
Search Tutorial ~ Search Engine ~ Forum Rules ~ Ask the Staff
Old November 13th, 2007, 5:48 pm
Knower of things

Anyone else stunned that Federer has lost twice on the trot this past week or so? I can say I didn't see that happening.

Then today Rafael Nadal was beaten at the Tennis Masters Cup in Shanghai by David Ferrer. I suppose it is good for the game though to have the big seeds who seem almost unbeatable to be seriously challenged.

Old November 19th, 2007, 8:49 pm
Curse Breaker

Roger the Great lost in Shanghai and STILL managed to pull the title because it was a round robin tournament. When you're hot, you're hot.

Old November 26th, 2007, 7:47 pm
First Year

Djokovic came out suddenly and i really like him he's really good and there are two good player too off course federer and nadal i really like them and waiting for their another matches but my fav. is nadal i hope he's gonna be top of the ATP one day (and i guess that day when Federer let it go)

Old November 26th, 2007, 11:14 pm
Curse Breaker

I enjoy Nadal's energy, but frankly, I'm hoping that Federer puts together at least one year with a complete Grand Slam. Get this, now the knock is that, the champion from each succeeding wave will wipe out all the records, so that within the next decade, someone new will come along and all the superlatives that were heaped on Federer will go to him, as soon as he snatches the torch from Federer (some are predicting it will happen as soon as 2010). I know that pro tennis leads to short careers and quick burnout, but I think that the current champions are getting shortchanged because folks are assuming that someone must and will appear NOW to sweep away all their records, the way Federer and Nadal showed up to eclipse Pete & Andre.

Old December 1st, 2007, 4:02 am
First Year

It seems so hard though that someone would be able to 'overthrow' Federer. He has spent over 200 weeks as number that's like 4 years!!!! I haven't looked at the points but Federer would have to loss a lot this calendar year for Nadal or Djokovic to be NO.1.

But is anybody a James Blake fan?

Old December 1st, 2007, 9:59 pm
Curse Breaker

I like his attitude, and I enjoy watching him play--but I freely confess to being a Federer fan, first and foremost--and I probably will be until he retires. I was a huge Sampras fan until he retired and was pleased to see him exit the stage on top with one last magnificent U.S. Open.

As for women's tennis--I'm a Sharapova fan, but distance and a little time have allowed me to accept the class and talent of folks like Clijsters. I still remember Henin walking away from that final--cheapening Mauresmo's first Grand Slam...so, I don't know that I can feel comfortable about rooting for her. I will say that I'm laughing up my sleeve at Hingis who I still remember as that whiny teenager who refused to accept defeat at Graf's hands gracefully (to put it mildly).

Old December 14th, 2007, 10:41 pm
First Year

I'm a Sharapova fan too ^^^^^^^^ but she can be a little annoying sometimes. She's kind of like Anna Kournicova except she's a lot better tennis player.

I like Nadal too but I want Federer to have a Grand Slam. Also if Federer wins the Austrailian Open and the French he would tie Sampras's record. SO then he would beat Sampras's record with Wimbledon. Which is his best Grand Slam right?

Then he could win the US and would be the first ever to win 5 US in a row and he would win a Grand Slam. That would be really spectacular.

Old December 15th, 2007, 8:10 am
Curse Breaker

If he completed the sweep this year, he'd have three consecutive Aussie titles, one French title, six consecutive Wimbeldons (a new modern record), and five consecutive U.S. Opens (a new modern record). That would be quite a feat. Sharapova has a healthy ego, but she doesn't carry herself like a beauty queen or a ditz (both of which have, at times, been dominant characteristics for Kournikova). Also, Kournikova was a dominant juniors player, a solid doubles player, and had quite a bit of talent. A decade ago, as a 16-year-old she made the semis at Wimbeldon and rose as high as--what was it, #6 in the world? She just never had the focus to make that last big leap. Sharapova does, and has proved it repeatedly.

Old January 21st, 2008, 5:10 am
Sixth Year

Ok, so while it seems like the tennis season has only just ended, they are now starting the second week of the Australian Open. There have been a few very entertaining five set men's match thus far: Roddick's loss to Kohlshreiber, Tipsaveric v. Federer and Hewitt v. Baghdatis among them. As much as people keep talking about how late the Hewitt match went the other night (until after 4:00am in Melbourne), I guess we will finally see how he holds up in his match against Djokovic in today's night session. Not that Hewitt would have been favored against Djokovic even if he had had a walkover in the previous round.

Sharapova has played some good matches against Davenport and Dementieva already in the tournament, but she doesn't have a very good head-to-head history against Justine Henin, her quarterfinal opponent; she has only beat her twice in eight attempts.

I wonder if we will begin to see A. Radwanska more regularly in later rounds of majors...not only is she in the quarters here, but she also beat Sharapova on her way to the round of 16 at the US Open.

Anyone have favorite moments of the Australian Open so far? Predictions on who will win it?

What happens to a plimpy that comes to the Breakfast Club?
Search Tutorial ~ Search Engine ~ Forum Rules ~ Ask the Staff
Old January 22nd, 2008, 2:19 am
Curse Breaker

My favorite moment is probably always going to be the next moment, but seeing Federer come back from that marathon with a straight set victory (even though it wasn't a laugher like the first two matches) was gratifying.

Old May 22nd, 2008, 2:45 am
First Year

Awesome Tennis!

Who doesn't love to play tennis? I mean , I play tennis and I just completly love it! I remember that one time I did like the coolest move ever! I hit the ball without even looking at it . I hit it by accident and I actually won! Now tell me about your cool tennis moments.

Gokudera is Ravenclaw

and

Yamamoto is Griffindor
Old May 28th, 2008, 9:44 am
Hogwarts Graduate

The first time ever when Novak Djokovic managed to win the match against Federer I couldn't believe my eyes, ears and I stared at the TV with my mouth wide open, waiting for them to say it was a mistake. It was last summer, I think? God, it was such a surprise.

However, since then, I got so used to Novak winning a lot of matches, losing some also - so I am not really that astonished any more.

Also, now that we know Federer is not an indomitable machine (or an alien, as some sport commentators would say) and that he has his weaknesses and that he can be beaten, I can love him even more. I really respect him for all the wons he's had and incredible points and I root for him even today. (even though Djokovic and I are from the same country, Federer is still my number 1)

Meg: I'm a big tough girl. I tie my own sandals and everything.
(Hercules, 1997)

Old May 28th, 2008, 6:34 pm
Curse Breaker

I hope Federer gets the monkey off his back and wins the French this time--it'd be sweet for him to able to shut everyone up about how his era, or time for winning majors has passed. I think he's still been shaking the rust off and getting his stamina back from that bout of mono he had at the start of the season.

I also really hope that Sharapova wins the French this year (but that's not looking likely--she REALLY had to scuffle in her first round match).

Old May 29th, 2008, 4:30 pm
First Year

Have to say, one of my favourite and most vivid tennis memories is of the Wimbledon final between Goran Ivanisevic and Pat Rafter - having watched Goran lose 3 finals (once to Agassi and then twice to Sampras) it meant so much to him to win that, and the atmosphere was amazing. It ran over onto the monday, and centre court was full of Aussies that had stayed on after the Ashes and mad Croats that had come over because they thought Goran might actualy win this time. He was a wildcard, and ranked something like 119/120 in the world at the time. Like I said, amazing.

As for the French Open - Rafa looks good for four in a row, and surely after the supremacy he has shown on clay the past three years he deserves to equal Borg's open-era record of 4 straight victories there?! The women's draw is a bit harder to predict......Jankovic or Ivanovic are the only two I can think of as rivals to Sharapova's claim to the title.

That said, while he is still in the tournament, I will be an extremely loyal Scot supporting Andy Murray!!

Old June 3rd, 2008, 8:01 am
Curse Breaker

Sharapova lost to Safina--again. This time with a set lead and up 5-2 in the second--man, that's tough. I really hope Federer breaks through at the French this year and keeps Nadal from adding another notch to his champions' tennis shoes.

Old June 3rd, 2008, 9:01 am
Third Year

I'm going for Novak - again. Seriously, that guy makes tennis so much more enjoyable for me nowadays. Long live the Australian Open!!

Sad to see our shining star Casey Dellacqua get knocked out - I was rooting for her as well.

As much as I like Federer - he's had his time. And Nadal annoys me. So if it was a Federer/Nadal final, then Federer all the way. Nadal's a little too arrogant for my liking.

All you have to do is take that one step.'
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports