Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

Tennis and Grand Slams

Old January 27th, 2009, 2:38 pm
Sixth Year

Re: Tennis and Grand Slams

Azarenka did retire upa set against Serena in the las round. She had some sort of virus and with the extreme heat, she was pretty much lucky to not pass out on the court.

It sounded like perhaps Zvonerva injured her leg (I know they were talking about this last not, but I wasn't paying enough attention to guarantee who or when). Either way someone went over on their ankle, but have like super bendy legs (ok, then had a more scientific term) and it just bruised it instead of spraining or further injuring it. (I'm a good source of news, right? )

What happens to a plimpy that comes to the Breakfast Club?
Search Tutorial ~ Search Engine ~ Forum Rules ~ Ask the Staff
Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2009, 4:46 pm
Second Year

Go ANDY!!!
I'm so happy for him. Hope he has a good one against Federer too.
Federer was looking very good in his match against Del Potro today though, but then so was Andy against Nole. Looking for a good match between them in the semis.

Old January 27th, 2009, 4:54 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googlie View Post
Looking for a good match between them in the semis.
Yeah! Me too. I hope they both play their best. Andy's track record against Fed isn't too brilliant, but you never know with him

Cheers to those pounding, brilliant serves! Looking forward to a cracker of a match

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old January 27th, 2009, 10:38 pm
Curse Breaker

Yeah, Del Potro sorta surrendered in that third set, eh? Well, he's young. He has the chance to bounce back from this. I'm actually looking for another clinic of a semi out of Roger. Andy's a nice guy with a great game, but I'd like to see Federer get back to the form from '05-'07. I also think it would be great if he could get one French Open title and complete the career Slam before he's through. I think Andre was the last guy to do it, wasn't he?

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old January 28th, 2009, 4:53 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
I think Andre was the last guy to do it, wasn't he?
Yeah it was...
But I badly want Andy to win this one. I know how badly he wants this. He deserves it, he has put in a lot of hardwork in the off-season and it kind of showed against Djokovic. Hope Andy has his serve going in the semis, that'll do him a lot of good. Anyway, I do realise that Federer was playing superb tennis against Del Potro though he never really was pushed. On the whole, if both play a good game of tennis I'll be happy with that.

Old January 28th, 2009, 5:24 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
But I badly want Andy to win this one. I know how badly he wants this. He deserves it, he has put in a lot of hardwork in the off-season and it kind of showed against Djokovic. Hope Andy has his serve going in the semis, that'll do him a lot of good. .
I think so too. Andy played very well and has trained a lot with his new coach. He is so fit that he could handle the soaring temperatures, when Djokovic couldn't. His serve is sure going to be a strong weapon. But he'll need more than just that to beat Federer.

It is going to be interesting and I'm looking forward to it

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"

Rita Skeeter was here
Old January 29th, 2009, 2:30 pm
Second Year

Oh well.... i guess there could just be one winner right and it was Federer. Good match from both players I thought. Shame it didn't last longer though. I do think it was closer than what the scoreline says.
Over at the women's draw, Serena vs Dinara in finals. That's going to be a good one. Both girls are in great form. Who do you ppl think is going to lift the trophy? I think I'm going to favour Serena in this one.

Old January 29th, 2009, 4:09 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Yeah. I mean, it was always going to be advantage Federer, unless Andy pulled a miracle, which didn't happen this time. I still hope that he has a better year this time round!

As for Safina vs Serena, I guess it is advantage Serena. But I'm rooting for Safina, who may be considered as the underdog. I used to support Marat too, because frankly these are such interesting players

Rita Skeeter was here
Old January 29th, 2009, 6:46 pm
Curse Breaker

Y'know what I don't get? How is Serena able to slide through to the final of a Slam with her C- game? Anyone else who showed up that rusty in either draw wouldn't make it that far--not even Fed or Rafa. In fact, Rafa's game requires him to be sharp and fit at all times. Of course, that sets up for her to pretend it's '07 and have her best form of the tournament in the final. Tough to tell how that'll bounce.

About last night--Federer beat Roddick and looked to be in a good rhythm, but Roddick fought the entire way. Good sign for him, but he kept going for those spinning serves. Why? The only set where he relied on them, he got blown off the court.

Fed looks sharp, but if he tries dumping short returns in on Nadal, Nadal will dominate. Of course, Verdasco might have something to say about all that.

Old January 30th, 2009, 4:45 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
Y'know what I don't get? How is Serena able to slide through to the final of a Slam with her C- game?
Just shows how good her C game is. All champions know that you only play as hard as you have too. Especially in the first major of the year, and especially when the temp is 43C.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old January 30th, 2009, 5:02 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Nadal had a difficult match against Verdasco. I am hoping he will win it against Federer, but seeing how long the semi final took, I bet Federer will be a lot more rested.

I am rooting for Safina for the women's final. I think Serena will win though, due to her power.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old January 30th, 2009, 5:19 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
I am rooting for Safina for the women's final. I think Serena will win though, due to her power.
Exactly. Safina has nothing to lose, though. Marat has done it in Australia, and I hope she does too. She remarked about this, saying she has tears in her eyes everytime she sees her brother's famous win in the Australian Open.

I'm rooting for her

Rita Skeeter was here
Old January 30th, 2009, 6:13 pm
Sixth Year

I guess Federer will win, but that won't stop me from rooting for Nadal. I'm sorry for Verdasco, but only one of them could win...

Old January 31st, 2009, 8:35 am
Second Year

What a match yesterday in the semis! WOW! Every point was amazing... Hats off to both guys. Wish Verdasco had won that one though, he was playing great, just too many unforced error I guess. But yeah I'll be rooting for Nadal in the finals. After winning such a match he deserves to win the Championship.

And coming to Serena, well she seems out of the picture completely until it is Grand Slam time doesn't she. I guess big tournaments bring out the best in her. I do like Safina too though but I can see only Serena winning this one.

And by the way, there are Indians seem to be having a great time at AO. Yuki has already won the Bay's Juniors title and there are two more Doubles title which may follow... things looking good!

Old January 31st, 2009, 8:49 am
Too... Much... Fangirling...

My family has fun with the tennis matches.

I remember last year we were calling Federer "Roger Rabbit" . This year we burst into the song "Fernando" by ABBA whenever Verdasco played (they sound similar )

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Old January 31st, 2009, 11:46 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
And by the way, there are Indians seem to be having a great time at AO. Yuki has already won the Bay's Juniors title and there are two more Doubles title which may follow... things looking good!
Absolutely! Sania Mirza and Mahesh Bhupathi are in the finals and Yuki Bhambri, who is perhaps India's best young tennis star has created history by winning the Juniors' title

Serena Williams has won the title. I guess she was the favourite , though I would have very dearly loved to see Dinara Safina win It was an embarrassingly one sided match Just shows how powerful Serena Williams is.

Now for Nadal vs Federer

Rita Skeeter was here
Old January 31st, 2009, 11:49 am
Second Year

The Women's final was very disappointing. That gives Serena a double this AO.
Anyway GO NADAL! for tomorrow.

Old January 31st, 2009, 9:36 pm
Curse Breaker

No Federer fans--If Nadal weren't such an all-around good guy like Federer, I'd say that shows a disturbing lack of taste.

What a terrible way for Verdasco to lose--battling to love-30 on Nadal's serve only to give it up and then having two key double faults decide the match, including match point. Much as I enjoy Federer, I'd probably have been okay with Verdasco winning the whole thing after that performance.

Edit--Okay.

#1. Congratulations to Nadal--he fought through fatigue and played great tennis, outlasting Federer. Both would have been worthy champions and Nadal certainly does deserve it.

#2. Federer had plenty of chances in that third set (what was it, six break points?) If he converts any of those, there is no fifth set.

#3. I should not have been left with a sour taste in my mouth by the champoinship point, the way I was after those two crippling Verdasco double faults. If there's crowd interference (like some inebriated twit yelling "Fault" ten rows up) don't they replay the point, like a let or a reversed out call on a returnable serve? Now, Nadal could still have broken Federer, but I'd have liked to see it clean, like that monster point in the fourth set when they traded exceptional shots. More likely, Nadal would have held easily to win 6-4 in the fifth.

Last edited by jordmundt6; February 1st, 2009 at 2:54 pm.
Old February 1st, 2009, 3:49 pm
Second Year

I think Nadal deserved to win this match and that is exactly what happened. Federer played a pretty poor 5th set... but I guess He was battling his own emotions and frustrations at that point.

Old February 1st, 2009, 3:53 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

I felt sorry for Nadal during the prize giving ceremony, he was obviously uncomfortable by Federer's flood of tears, while he should have been overjoyed.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports