Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

Tennis and Grand Slams

Old February 1st, 2009, 4:17 pm
Sixth Year

Re: Tennis and Grand Slams

I think Rafa wasn't exactly uncomfortable, but sorry for Federer. They respect very much each other, I've heard they're even friends. It's bittersweet getting the triumph at the expense of causing such grief to someone you like.

You know, it's exams time and the college library is open even on Sundays. This morning, someone had connnected the PC's at the hall (which are supposedly used to look up the library catalogue) to the internet to show the match on-line. Whenever someone took a break, they gathered before the screen, and whenever someone came back there you heard people whispering "how's Nadal doing?" Of course, he's the national hero today!

Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2009, 4:21 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
I felt sorry for Nadal during the prize giving ceremony, he was obviously uncomfortable by Federer's flood of tears, while he should have been overjoyed.
I agree. Poor him. He was obviously trying not to look overjoyed because it would have looked bad while Federer was crying next to him. He couldn't celebrate his day which he so richly deserved.

Old February 1st, 2009, 5:06 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
I felt sorry for Nadal during the prize giving ceremony, he was obviously uncomfortable by Federer's flood of tears, while he should have been overjoyed.
Yeah, I agree too. Nadal and Federer are very good friends off court, which should have made it even more uncomfortable for him. Nadal must have been celebrating, after defeating Federer for the third straight grand slam in a row. I guess the Sampras record in the waiting also broke Federer down.

But credit to them both, they played a great match. Nadal deserved to win in the end and I'm very happy for him

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
Of course, he's the national hero today!
Of course

Indian fans are celebrating too, after Sania Mirza and Mahesh Bhupathi won their first mixed doubles title They had a walkover, actually. Good job!

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old February 3rd, 2009, 6:59 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
Indian fans are celebrating too, after Sania Mirza and Mahesh Bhupathi won their first mixed doubles title They had a walkover, actually. Good job!
Of course we are. That rounds of one of the best Grand Slams for Indians.

Old February 20th, 2009, 5:37 am
Sixth Year

There has been a bit of a fuss at this week's tournament in Dubai when Shahar Peer (from Israel) was denied a visa to Dubai so she could compete. The WTA decided to go ahead with the tournament, but in the US the Tennis Channel (while not a particularly well known station, covers a lot of the non-grand slam tournaments that are rarely covered on other stations) has decided not to air the tournament.
Quote:
Originally Posted by From the Tennis Channel's statement linked above
Preventing an otherwise qualified athlete from competing on the basis of anything other than merit has no place in tennis or any other sport, and has the unfortunate result of undermining the credibility of the very nature of competition itself
The Wall Street Journal Europe also pulled their sponsorship of the event, though I am not sure how much of the tournament they financed.

The UAE decided (seemingly after a lot of the criticism received over the decision about Peer and threats of pulling the tournament) to allow Andy Ram (ISR) to compete in the men's tournament there next week.
Federer has pulled out of this tournament citing a back injury from last year, and wanting to allow it more time to heal.

Anyone else been following this at all?

What happens to a plimpy that comes to the Breakfast Club?
Search Tutorial ~ Search Engine ~ Forum Rules ~ Ask the Staff
Old April 5th, 2009, 10:22 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Victoria Azarenka comfortably defeated a not 100% fit Serena Williams to win the Miami Title.

A usually calm and composed Roger Federer lost his cool as he went down to Novak Djokovic in the semi finals of the Sony Ericsson Open in Miami. It hasn't been a good time for Federer who has been out of form for the last few months. Legendary tennis player John McEnroe has offered to help Federer regain form.

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"

Rita Skeeter was here
Old April 7th, 2009, 4:59 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
A usually calm and composed Roger Federer lost his cool as he went down to Novak Djokovic in the semi finals of the Sony Ericsson Open in Miami. It hasn't been a good time for Federer who has been out of form for the last few months. Legendary tennis player John McEnroe has offered to help Federer regain form.
Interesting . . . I missed this--what exactly do you mean "lost his cool"? Did he start screaming at people? Is that why McEnroe has offered his guidance? "You. Cannot. Be Serious!"

Old April 7th, 2009, 7:18 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
Interesting . . . I missed this--what exactly do you mean "lost his cool"? Did he start screaming at people? Is that why McEnroe has offered his guidance? "You. Cannot. Be Serious!"
He threw down his racquet and smashed it in anger. Federer never does that. I guess the string of losses has sort of increased his temper. Though if that's the reason, nobody would recommend McEnroe for a coach

Rita Skeeter was here
Old April 7th, 2009, 7:36 am

^Whoa! He smashed his racket? That is very McEnroe. Oh, the irony.

Old June 1st, 2009, 6:37 am
Sixth Year

I wasn't a huge fan of Rafael Nadal when he first started establishing himself in the rankings, and I know he lost in Madrid (?) to Federer recently on clay, but I didn't expect him to lose today. Plus, Soderling comes off as not a very nice guy, so I especially hoped Nadal would beat him, but Soderling played well and it wasn't Nadal's day.

His first loss at the French Open

What happens to a plimpy that comes to the Breakfast Club?
Search Tutorial ~ Search Engine ~ Forum Rules ~ Ask the Staff
Old June 2nd, 2009, 2:44 am
Fifth Year

I cheered when I heard Nadal was out, as I did when I learned Venus Williams was beaten. Now have my fingers crossed that Serena goes the same way as her sister.
I don't care who wins the women's as long as it's not a Williams sister.
As for the men, I will hope Federer can pull it off. The only trophy missing from his cabinet.

Old June 3rd, 2009, 6:27 pm
First Year

I'm in the middle currently, about who wins the French open. I don't really care but I'd like to see Gonzalez win.
Right now, we're watching Monfils vs. Federer and I'm so angry with Monfils because he's a pompus jerk. And even though Federer only needs this tournament if he can't win it after several years, then he just doesn't deserve it. He's had his shot and he blew it.

Today was Halloween. I was having a boring time trick-or-treating when I saw a girl dressed as a werewolf and a girl dressed as a vampire suddenly run into each other. The vampire yelled "TEAM EDWARD". I expected the typical "team jacob", but the werewolf looked the vampire blankly and said coldly, "Harry Potter. I support Remus Lupin." Best response ever. MLIA

"Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure."
Old June 4th, 2009, 3:04 am
Fifth Year

Yes! Serena was beaten over night! (Well it was night for us)
I am so happy, now, about the way this tournament is progressing.

Old June 4th, 2009, 11:22 pm
Curse Breaker

Safina and--shoot can't even remember her close, but no cigar fellow Russian.

So, I'm hoping that Federer closes this thing out, but how strange would it be if he had to face down Soderling in an epic final?

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old June 7th, 2009, 8:01 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Svetlana Kuznetsova beat Dinara Safina to win the title. I thought Safina would make it a close contest, however, it wasn't to be. Kuznetsova had a clear, decisive win.

Leander Paes and Lukas Dlouhy won the men's doubles title, staging a remarkable comeback

Now for Federer vs Soderling

Rita Skeeter was here
Old June 8th, 2009, 4:04 am
Fifth Year

Federer won! Yes! I am happy for him and to see him crying, and so humble was great. That's what I like to see in a sportsperson, not the arrogance of those Williams sisters.

Old June 8th, 2009, 6:41 am

^Totally agree, there. I am so happy for Federer. This win has been a long time coming. And he is always so classy and a great sportsman to his fellow competitors.

Old June 8th, 2009, 8:59 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Absolutely agree. He's completed a career Grand Slam and I'm very happy for him He's gone through tough times and has fought hard for this win, which always makes the title more special

Rita Skeeter was here
Old June 8th, 2009, 6:15 pm
Curse Breaker

Yes, that does make this win truly special. People were comparing him to Sampras and the fact that the French was a hole in his resume but I was surprised to learn--or relearn that while Federer has made four straight French Open finals (a loss in straights to Nadal, a loss in four to Nadal, a blowout loss to Nadal, and this straight set win over Soderling), Sampras only ever made it as far as the French semis and that only once. Strange.

Y'know the casual fans in the States probably should have known this was in the offing because a few weeks ago there was a Sports Illustrated cover story about how Nadal had definitively passed Federer and Federer was on his way out of the upper echelon because he refused to evolve and now not just Nadal but several players were figuring him out.

Any word on Nadal's knee? There have been rumblings since '06 that in spite of his conditioning, the brand of tennis Nadal plays would wear his joints out faster than the typically short tennis career. To this point that has looked and sounded like a lot of hot air. However, it would be a shame if Federer's first (and maybe only French) gets a mental asterisk because Ndal played hurt and couldn't muster enough.

Any word on what the MRI showed for Nadal's knee?

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old June 19th, 2009, 5:10 am
First Year

Yeah, Jordmundt6, Federer is a much better clay-court player than Sampras ever was, imo. I personally don't know what the deal with his knee is, but he is seeded #1 for Wimbledon anyway, if he plays. I think Federer is #2, but not sure.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports