Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

2010 Winter Olympics In Vancouver, Canada

Old February 19th, 2010, 12:58 am
Seventh Year

Re: 2010 Winter Olympics In Vancouver, Canada

I live in Vancouver, and for me personally having the games here has been a bit of a pain. Simply because I have had to change my route to and from work, because my usual route goes right through the red zone,which adds an additional 45 minutes a day in travel time. :S
That and the fact that we are haveing probably the warmest 'winter' weather in history!! (we have trees in blossom already, and the crucuses and daffodils are already in bloom) This is was the reason for the problems with tickets. The spectators area on Cypress was unusable. It was a muddy swamp due to the lack of snow up there, so they all are getting their money back at least.

EVER HAVE ONE OF THOSE DAY'S?
Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2010, 6:12 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco1965 View Post
That and the fact that we are haveing probably the warmest 'winter' weather in history!! (we have trees in blossom already, and the crucuses and daffodils are already in bloom) This is was the reason for the problems with tickets. The spectators area on Cypress was unusable. It was a muddy swamp due to the lack of snow up there, so they all are getting their money back at least.
Oh, I see. Thanks for telling.

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

—Neil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Old February 20th, 2010, 3:32 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning_Star View Post
I have a question to ask, if anyone else reads this thread at all. What do you think of the Olympics so far? I mean, there have been a lot of mistakes and troubles - starting people at the right time in biathlon, problems with the ice machine during speed skating, ticket trouble (I don't remember exactly what that was about), some of the graphics are chaotic, to mention those I remember.
I'm surprised some sports are even... sports. Especially Skeleton and Curling. I'm sure there's skill involved but I don't think ether have the 'wow' factor of some other events (although watching Skeleton I can't help but think "wow, they must be crazy!" ).
Australia aren't exactly a winter sport superpower but we've won two medals so far (which the media won't let us forget for a second!) but I find these olympics far more interesting than the summer olympics. Mostly (I think) because the events are shorter and generally more action-packed.

Quote:
Also, there has been quite a few accidents: the tragic death of luger Nodar Kumaritashvili a few hours before the opening ceremony; Petra Majdič's fall yesterday; Anja Pärson's fall, in the women's downhill skiing, also yesterday; Dominique Gisin's fall at the same place as Pärson; a few other girls also fell in the same race; and there are more, but not so serious/recent.
Well, in fairness, the athletes know what they're getting themselves into and they are aware of the risks. Of course, it's still terrible when somebody passes away, but I don't think the injuries are all that surprising or unexpected. Not when you look at the events in the winter olympics.

Old February 25th, 2010, 4:28 am
Second Year

Well, skeleton has just as much skill as luge, so I would at least lump them together.

And while curling doesn't appear to take the physical stamina of some other sports, there is a lot of strategy involved.

Quote:
Well, in fairness, the athletes know what they're getting themselves into and they are aware of the risks. Of course, it's still terrible when somebody passes away, but I don't think the injuries are all that surprising or unexpected. Not when you look at the events in the winter Olympics.
I agree. The death was unexpected and tragic. But the rest of the injuries aren't really that surprising - there were injuries leading up to the Olympics, too.

Old March 4th, 2010, 5:57 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherfish81 View Post

And while curling doesn't appear to take the physical stamina of some other sports, there is a lot of strategy involved.
I agree--I used to think that curling shouldn't be considered a sport, then I watched a few games and realized how much strategy goes into it.

The Olympics were amazing!

Old March 5th, 2010, 7:25 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Curling is a really fun sport to watch. I wish USA had done better, but oh well, at least I got to watch curling.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old December 17th, 2010, 6:55 am
First Year

I live just outside of Vancouver, and I loved the whole atmostphere. Sure it was a pain getting around at times and things went wrong, but everything worked out in the end. Plus, I had the opprotunity of being a Closing Ceremony performer, which was AMAZING!!

Lupin/Tonks forever!

Pottermore username: FangDawn140

Live. Laugh. Love. Accept.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports