Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports

ICC Cricket World Cup 2011

Old March 6th, 2011, 7:41 pm
Oracle Octopus

Re: ICC Cricket World Cup 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
This was a great thriller and England have been absolutely interesting this WC! They've become the new Pakistan Unpredictable and absolutely thrilling.
That and Pakistan have become new Australia, with Shahid Afridi, their Shane Warne.

Quote:
India, on the other hand, are making Ireland seem like Australia. Struggling with two wickets down and for what is probably the thousandth time in sixteen years, leaving Sachin in charge.
Its not all India's fault they didn't make the chase easily, a whole lot of credit must go to Ireland. They are by far the best fielding side in this world cup. The amount of dedication they have showed is commendable and I truly believe that they should be one of the teams going into the knockouts.

Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2011, 6:07 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious View Post
That and Pakistan have become new Australia, with Shahid Afridi, their Shane Warne.
If so, New Zealand beat the new Australia!

They thrashed Pakistan by 110 runs. Taylor was brilliant and the bowling (especially Southee and Mills) was superb!

They bundled out the top order and thereafter with a huge total to fall on, it was easy. NZ top their group right now and should be mighty pleased with it!

I'm worried about Vettori's injury though I hope it's just a minor niggle and he gets alright soon.

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old March 9th, 2011, 5:24 am
Oracle Octopus

Quote:
If so, New Zealand beat the new Australia!
And right when I thought that Pakistan were getting out of their reputation of being the most unpredictable team, they prove me wrong.

Kamran Akmal will have nightmares for a few nights, for having dropped Ross Taylor so cheaply, one and a half times.

Coincidently he isn't the only keeper who has been struggling this world cup, Prior of England is having his shares of problems too, with England joining ranks with Pakistan as a wild horse.

Today we have India and Netherlands. It would be interesting to see how Ryan plays, given that he would be facing & playing with most of the Indian Players in IPL.

Old March 12th, 2011, 7:55 am
Oracle Octopus

India v/s South Africa today!!

Finally a good match is on the cards and we can expect some great action in terms of the runs scored as the pitch is said to be a "belter". A batting paradise.

Old March 13th, 2011, 5:51 am
Second Year

Oh man! Yesterday's loss against SA is proving to be a tough pill to swallow.

It's high time India pulled up their socks and got going (they are yet to actually beat a top 8 team in the WC so far!). They have to play to their strengths which is spin... GET ASHWIN IN!!!

Hope they beat WI convincingly in Chennai (my hometown.. yay!!). And on a sidenote, Sahcin is on 99 International tons right now... Hope the great man reaches his hundredth in the next match!!!

Old March 13th, 2011, 8:36 am
Oracle Octopus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googlie View Post
Hope they beat WI convincingly in Chennai
I am pretty sure they would be able to do that quite well seeing that the Chidabaram stadium has a pitch suited for spin bowling. This would favor the Indians well. Moreover Indians are known to perform when its a "do or die" situation.

BTW- India will get through to the next round regardless of the outcome of the next match.

But for England, they have to win against West Indies in order to go through or Bangladesh just might sneak past them.

Sachin will get his 100 tons this world cup only, and if all goes well, he will get 50 in ODI's as well. Oh and btw he is only 40 odd runs short of 18000.

Old March 13th, 2011, 10:41 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Oh man! Yesterday's loss against SA is proving to be a tough pill to swallow.
True. We didn't deserve to win, sadly. Disastrous batting in the last few overs and horrid bowling in the end. Sigh.

But full credit to S.A for playing like champs. Steyn's fiver helped them come back after a savage onslaught by Sehwag and the amazing Sachin. Amla and AB especially, played beautifully under pressure, surrounded by a hostile crowd.

Quote:
They have to play to their strengths which is spin... GET ASHWIN IN!!!
This Enough of persisting with Chawla.

Quote:
I am pretty sure they would be able to do that quite well seeing that the Chidabaram stadium has a pitch suited for spin bowling.
I'm infinitely glad Harbhajan found some form yesterday because the Chennai pitch should help him.

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"

Rita Skeeter was here
Old March 13th, 2011, 10:47 am
Second Year

Quote:
BTW- India will get through to the next round regardless of the outcome of the next match.
If Bangladesh beat Sa, WI beat England and India then India might go out on NRR. But yea, that is an extreme case scenario. I'm sure they will make it to the next stage. But it will be an added bonus to top Group B as they will probably end up playing the Kiwis in the first knockout match.

Quote:
Sachin will get his 100 tons this world cup only, and if all goes well, he will get 50 in ODI's as well. Oh and btw he is only 40 odd runs short of 18000.
\m/ Just when you think he just can't get any better, he does.

Quote:
True. We didn't deserve to win, sadly. Disastrous batting in the last few overs and horrid bowling in the end. Sigh.

But full credit to S.A for playing like champs. Steyn's fiver helped them come back after a savage onslaught by Sehwag and the amazing Sachin. Amla and AB especially, played beautifully under pressure, surrounded by a hostile crowd.
29 runs - 9 wickets. That was something else wasn't it... didn't think our middle order was capable of such a collapse. Good wake up call for them though.
I feel having both Gambhir and Kohli in the team is hampering the flexibility in their batting a little bit. They just can not be used in any other position. But it'll be extremely unfair to drop either one of them.
Credit to Sa though. De Villiers is a class act. Have always enjoyed watching him bat and field.

Quote:
I'm infinitely glad Harbhajan found some form yesterday because the Chennai pitch should help him.
Totally. He's at his best when he is looking to pick up wickets. He'll enjoy bowling in Chennai.

Old March 13th, 2011, 11:05 am
Oracle Octopus

Quote:
If Bangladesh beat Sa, WI beat England and India then India might go out on NRR. But yea, that is an extreme case scenario. I'm sure they will make it to the next stage. But it will be an added bonus to top Group B as they will probably end up playing the Kiwis in the first knockout match.
I checked around the points table and did a little calculation and came up with the fact that India will come up second in group B and will most likely play Australia or New Zealand, based on the match between Australia and Pakistan. If Pakistan win then India face Australia else it will be New Zealand.

As for India getting knocked out, the chances are close to impossible, because I don't see Bangladesh beating South Africa, and with that they will amass as much as 6 points only. Which causes problems for England who will need to win the match to level upto 7 points in order to get through. If they loose, and Bangladesh wins against Netherlands, Bangladesh get through.

Old March 13th, 2011, 12:16 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Credit to Sa though. De Villiers is a class act. Have always enjoyed watching him bat and field.
Agree entirely! I love AB. One of my favourite players: an absolute delight to watch when he bats and so reminiscent of the great Jonty Rhodes when he fields. Great player

Quote:
He's at his best when he is looking to pick up wickets.
Yep, we do not need an 'oh-I-want-a-good-economy-rate' Harbhajan. Last thing we need is an attacking bowler not getting wickets.

Rita Skeeter was here
Old March 15th, 2011, 7:07 pm
Oracle Octopus

So Bangladesh have defeated Netherlands and are in the 4th place with 6 points. Guess that opens up group B quite nicely. Now England will have to win the match against West Indies in order to get through, if they loose, they are out.

Whats ironic is that both India and England would pray that South Africa beat Bangladesh. This would secure both of them a place in the knockouts. India will still have one match so its not exactly death sentence for them, but it wouldn't be a do or die scenario after all.

Old March 21st, 2011, 10:49 am
Oracle Octopus

Quaterfinals!!!

Match 1: Pakistan v/s West Indies- Pakistan Will Win

Match 2: India v/s Australia- India will win

Match 3: South Africa v/s New Zealand- South Africa won't choke so early.

Match 4: Sri Lanka v/s England- I root for England and hope they win.

Yes, I want an India/Pakistan semifinal. It would be epic and by far the best match of the world cup!!

Old March 21st, 2011, 11:21 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Pakistan v/s West Indies- Pakistan should beat the West Indies. Unless they do a...Pakistan

India v/s Australia- Australia's batting seems as mediocre or maybe a little better than India's bowling Should be a good contest, but I'll back India to win.

South Africa v/s New Zealand- Heart says NZ. Mind says South Africa. I love both these teams (NZ more obviously), so I'll be okay Still, with Vettori back it should be more interesting. Black Caps yay

Sri Lanka v/s England- England haven't lost a single match to a top team so far and have been downright the most exciting team in the WC. I'm backing them. Go, boys!

Rita Skeeter was here

Last edited by lilyrose; March 21st, 2011 at 11:28 am.
Old March 21st, 2011, 10:35 pm
Oracle Octopus

Quote:
South Africa v/s New Zealand- Heart says NZ. Mind says South Africa. I love both these teams (NZ more obviously), so I'll be okay Still, with Vettori back it should be more interesting. Black Caps yay
An interesting fact about these two teams is that they both have played 10 knockout matches(6 for RSA and 4 for NZ) in world cups so far and haven't won a single match.

Guess this time one of them will win.

Old March 24th, 2011, 10:55 pm
Oracle Octopus

India ended Australia's challenge to retain the world cup. Next match---INDIA v/s Pakistan!!!

This is by far going to be better than the Finals itself. The best match of them all. Both teams are playing great, but India will win this match as well.

Old March 25th, 2011, 3:59 am
Registered Animagus

Yay India! So glad they were the ones to knock Australia out

Also, Shaun Tait 1-53 off 7 overs? Ok so he got a key wicket in there, but he's very expensive. I've been saying it for years, he should not be playing for Australia. He's just not good enough.

Old March 25th, 2011, 8:47 am
Oracle Octopus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
Also, Shaun Tait 1-53 off 7 overs? Ok so he got a key wicket in there, but he's very expensive. I've been saying it for years, he should not be playing for Australia. He's just not good enough.
Same was the situation for Brett Lee when he had the likes of Glenn McGrath to even out the economy rate at the other end. He had been given the license to intimidate and not worry too much about the economy rate, so long as he was successful in his mission. Well same is the role for Shaun Tait. Generate pace and intimidate. Lee has now taken on the coveted role of the lead strike bowler of the team, and his shoes have been filled up by Tait, who is more fitting than Nathan Bracken and Mitchell Johnson ever were.

Moreover there have been expensive bowlers all over the world who are still carried by their teams just because of their knack of taking wickets, such as James Anderson of England, or Sreesanth for India.

Old March 25th, 2011, 11:28 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Next match---INDIA v/s Pakistan!!!
It's going to be awesome. Heated, intense, on the verge of explosion.

And I'm sure the cricket will be good too.

Old March 25th, 2011, 2:03 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
Also, Shaun Tait 1-53 off 7 overs? Ok so he got a key wicket in there, but he's very expensive. I've been saying it for years, he should not be playing for Australia.
I agree. He was absolutely awful yesterday. And Sachin's wicket, absolutely precious as it is, doesn't quite matter when you have Kohli, Gambhir and Yuvraj to knock him around.

But SQUEE! Yay India. I was SO impressed by how cool, calm and composed they were chasing a good total I felt bad for Ponting (who played a splendid captain's knock) and Lee (who really did bowl his heart out even after the injury), but what a match India

India vs Pakistan is every south Asian cricket fan's dream come true It will be electric and will bring us all to a standstill

Rita Skeeter was here

Last edited by lilyrose; March 25th, 2011 at 2:05 pm.
Old March 25th, 2011, 2:31 pm
Oracle Octopus

Quote:
It will be electric and will bring us all to a standstill
30th March will be a National Holiday in India!!!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Sports