Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

Old November 10th, 2010, 9:59 am
First Year

Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

I've always thought that the influence of the black family and their "pure blood mania" are probably responsible for the hate she has against Muggle borns and blood traitors. That is probably what started it out. Then Voldemort gained power and as Sirius said the family was supportive. So she supported Voldemort as well since his views against Muggles and Muggleborns were the same as hers.
Voldemort then became famous for the Dark Arts so i assume that everyone who wanted to become a Death Eater felt the same way Voldemort did: that people who refuse to practise the Dark Arts are weaker than those who do and therefore that they are superior to people like DUmbledore. Bellatrix was ambitious so the more she practised the Dark Arts , the more favour she gained with Voldemort which attracted her probably because it was more of a challenge. After that i imagine it to have grown into the obsession that appeared in the books. Of course, I imagine Azkaban helped.
All this, JMO

Old November 19th, 2010, 1:17 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermy_weasley2 View Post
Could she have any romantic feelings for Voldemort?
I highly doubt Bellatrix had romantic feelings for Voldemort because the man was incapable of loving anyone. That being said, I think she did have deep admiration or perhaps respect for Voldemort's ideals. And if that's the case, I'm sure the reason she was so loyal to him is because of that admiration and/or respect.

Bone of the father, unwillingly given;
Flesh of the servant, willingly sacrificed;
Blood of the enemy, forcibly taken;
The Dark Lord shall rise again!
Old November 25th, 2010, 1:44 pm
First Year

1. Bellatrix is often seen as the most fanatical of Voldemort's supporters. Why do you think it is that she has devoted her life and efforts so wholly to Voldemort? What influences in her family and life could have led to her becoming one of the most feared Death Eaters? Could she have any romantic feelings for Voldemort?
Guess growing up with your family shouting "be gone mudbloods and blood traitors" and seeing house elves heads could have muddled her head and... the Blacks have always supported voldermort. And she would have been brought up hating all of them since young.

2. What do you suppose leads Bellatrix to distrust Snape so, as seen in the HBP chapter 'Spinner's End'? Does this cast any doubts upon her complete trust in Voldemort? Does it speak of any prior relationship with Snape?
Like what others say, that should be due to Snape not being along Voldermort when Voldermort just regained his body.

3. What kind of relationship do you think that Bellatrix had with her cousin, Sirius, for her to so easily battle against, and ultimately have a hand in killing him?
She hated him from the start, and i think her whole family, with Siruis mum blasting him off the family tree, would have made her hated at him from the very beginning.

4. Bellatrix is said to have been at school and joined forces with several other Death Eaters prior to Harry's parents being at Hogwarts. What factors do you see as contributing to the turning of Bellatrix and her peers to Voldemort, and how could they have gotten away with this in the middle of Hogwarts?
A chance to be powerful? Voldermot had supposedly been a "great" student. And the teachers then might not have thought they would end up doing such evil things.

5. Bellatrix seems to have a fondness for the Cruciatus curse. What do you think that this says about her personality and history?
She is a sadist. Probably growing up in an environment with house elves beheaded wont help.

6. What do you think of her hatred of Tonks for marrying a werewolf?
Given her personality, it is in-character that she hated Tonks so much. And i think she hated her even before she married a werewolf. That just adds on to the hatred. And didn't voldermort told her to prune her family tree, and rid the blood traitors? Not wanting to disappoint voldermot, i'm sure that had a role to play.

7. Do you think Belltrix could have been redeemed?
No. She is way too evil, to the extent she has lost her mind imo.

Old November 25th, 2010, 5:11 pm
Third Year

Regarding the Black family, it is noticeable that several members exhibit psichological traits that deviate from normality, see, Sirius's mother Walburga, Sirius himself or Bellatrix, they all tend to be too hot-headed, too fanatic (because Sirius regards the ones who are not on his side to more or less sub-humans) and too extremists in their reactions. Those, if I am not wrong, are the traits exhibited by Borderlines, as a psychiatric diagnose. Being Bellatrix the most severe case, followed by Walburga. So I really believe she had some mental disease from the begining that, instead of being cured, was increased by the fanatic environment, and the circumstances she lived.
The less severe case is in my opinion Sirius, I think he ows a lot to his stance in Azkaban, but it is noted that he was already too hot tempered, and extreme before entering prision, so I asume he must have inherited it as well.
Another point for this is how often Bellatrix and Sirius are compared, it is not common for cousins to look alike so much in character, except in the case like this in wich they both seem to have inherited these particular character traits.

My Fic: Two Introverted Souls.http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=128320
Old November 25th, 2010, 5:16 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

JKR said that Bellatrix was sexually obsessed with Voldemort, so yeah she did have feelings for him more than a minion for her lord.

Old January 21st, 2011, 12:52 pm
First Year

1. Bellatrix is often seen as the most fanatical of Voldemort's supporters. Why do you think it is that she has devoted her life and efforts so wholly to Voldemort? What influences in her family and life could have led to her becoming one of the most feared Death Eaters? Could she have any romantic feelings for Voldemort?
As member of Black family she was raised to value pure-blood and Slytherin pride. Since Voldemort supports this, and Blacks obviously thought he was right, it came kind of natural for her to join him - as her name says, she's a female warrior. Although she's kind of similar to her sister, yet Narcissa seems to be more fragile. Also, she has somethings that Bella lacks - mother instinct and love. Maybe if Bella had children it would be different? Sure she says that she would be glad to give them [her children] in service of the Dark Lord , but I do think if she actually had children she might have changed that attitude. I am not mother myself, but I heard many people say that they have changed after getting first child.

Also, I do think that she is capable of love. I don't think that there are people who simply can't love [even Voldemort theory seemed bit silly always, but that's what big boss JK said ]. She probably did love, for example, her sister[s?] and I do think she loved Voldemort. It was not what many people would call romantic but it was certainly love and passion. Those were also some of reasons why she followed him. We know that Voldemort was quite handsome when he was young, so I bet Bella wasn't first to get attracted to him, but she certainly was one of most faithful followers.

2. What do you suppose leads Bellatrix to distrust Snape so, as seen in the HBP chapter 'Spinner's End'? Does this cast any doubts upon her complete trust in Voldemort? Does it speak of any prior relationship with Snape?
She was jealous a bit, yes, but I do think she was doubtful about him being faithful to her lord. Since Voldemort couldn't feel or know love, he didn't sense that Snape was still loving Lily - what if Bella suspected something? I don't think it was just jealousy that made her become doubtful about her master's decisions.
But I don't think there was some special relationship between Snape and Bellatrix - they were both far too vain and far too smart to trust each other.

3. What kind of relationship do you think that Bellatrix had with her cousin, Sirius, for her to so easily battle against, and ultimately have a hand in killing him?
It was maybe somewhat competitive relationship - maybe when they were kids they bullied each other. They are somehow similar, both had black/white views about world and they were strong and somewhat playful, but their relationship was based on pure hate.
We can see that best from Bellatrix reaction about killing Sirius.

4. Bellatrix is said to have been at school and joined forces with several other Death Eaters prior to Harry's parents being at Hogwarts. What factors do you see as contributing to the turning of Bellatrix and her peers to Voldemort, and how could they have gotten away with this in the middle of Hogwarts?
They gotten away with it easily - they are not first or last who supported Voldemort openly in Hogwarts. Even Draco did it and I believe Bellatrix attended Hogwarts before Dumbelodre was headmaster.
She simply found crew that she thought it's appropriate for her.

5. Bellatrix seems to have a fondness for the Cruciatus curse. What do you think that this says about her personality and history?
As Dumbledore described her, she 'likes to play with her food before she eats it'. She is sadistic, she enjoyed in torturing people. Why is that, I don't know, but maybe there is something in her past that could explain that to us?

She hated Tonks before as well - she was daughter of sister that betrayed family. I do believe she got along with Andromeda before, but she probably grew to hate her after she married muggle born so it's natural that she hates Tonks as well.

Even if she could, she wouldn't want to. She doesn't think she did wrong.

I must add that I think, personally, that there was more about Bellatrix then what we saw. She was indeed sadistic, but the question is why? I do believe that people are complex and I can't imagine that she was actually born that way. And I do think she might have had some good side deep inside her.

Old January 23rd, 2011, 8:27 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyLovelace View Post
As member of Black family she was raised to value pure-blood and Slytherin pride. Since Voldemort supports this, and Blacks obviously thought he was right, it came kind of natural for her to join him - as her name says, she's a female warrior. Although she's kind of similar to her sister, yet Narcissa seems to be more fragile. Also, she has somethings that Bella lacks - mother instinct and love. Maybe if Bella had children it would be different? Sure she says that she would be glad to give them [her children] in service of the Dark Lord , but I do think if she actually had children she might have changed that attitude. I am not mother myself, but I heard many people say that they have changed after getting first child.

Also, I do think that she is capable of love. I don't think that there are people who simply can't love [even Voldemort theory seemed bit silly always, but that's what big boss JK said ]. She probably did love, for example, her sister[s?] and I do think she loved Voldemort. It was not what many people would call romantic but it was certainly love and passion. Those were also some of reasons why she followed him. We know that Voldemort was quite handsome when he was young, so I bet Bella wasn't first to get attracted to him, but she certainly was one of most faithful followers.

She was jealous a bit, yes, but I do think she was doubtful about him being faithful to her lord. Since Voldemort couldn't feel or know love, he didn't sense that Snape was still loving Lily - what if Bella suspected something? I don't think it was just jealousy that made her become doubtful about her master's decisions.
But I don't think there was some special relationship between Snape and Bellatrix - they were both far too vain and far too smart to trust each other.

It was maybe somewhat competitive relationship - maybe when they were kids they bullied each other. They are somehow similar, both had black/white views about world and they were strong and somewhat playful, but their relationship was based on pure hate.
We can see that best from Bellatrix reaction about killing Sirius.

They gotten away with it easily - they are not first or last who supported Voldemort openly in Hogwarts. Even Draco did it and I believe Bellatrix attended Hogwarts before Dumbelodre was headmaster.
She simply found crew that she thought it's appropriate for her.

As Dumbledore described her, she 'likes to play with her food before she eats it'. She is sadistic, she enjoyed in torturing people. Why is that, I don't know, but maybe there is something in her past that could explain that to us?

She hated Tonks before as well - she was daughter of sister that betrayed family. I do believe she got along with Andromeda before, but she probably grew to hate her after she married muggle born so it's natural that she hates Tonks as well.

Even if she could, she wouldn't want to. She doesn't think she did wrong.

I must add that I think, personally, that there was more about Bellatrix then what we saw. She was indeed sadistic, but the question is why? I do believe that people are complex and I can't imagine that she was actually born that way. And I do think she might have had some good side deep inside her.
I agree with all that you said, especially the part about there being a lot more to Bellatrix Lestrange then what we saw, and I think there was good, I think it was just really, really, deep down and surpressed because of the way she was raised. I also agree with you that Bellatrix did love, and she oviously loved Narcissa and Voldemort, I just think it was kind of a warped version of love.

Old May 16th, 2011, 3:36 pm
First Year

1. Bellatrix is often seen as the most fanatical of Voldemort's supporters. Why do you think it is that she has devoted her life and efforts so wholly to Voldemort?

She comes from an ancient pure-blood family and was raised with a certain ideology(mudbloods are worthless etc) and suddenly there is that handsome, talented wizard(who is directly related to Salazar Slytherin himself) and declares he wants to erase all mudbloods.....and, unlike the old people, he is really DOING it not just talking about it....that would fascinate every teenager seeing someone fighting for their ideology

What influences in her family and life could have led to her becoming one of the most feared Death Eaters?

That's so obvious...I mean we all know the Black's family-motto
"Toujours pur" and we've met the portrait of Sirius' mum...
How could she NOT have been a loyal follower of the Dark Lord?

Could she have any romantic feelings for Voldemort?

Well I think she admired him like you do with a Popstar or famous actor. She would have done everything for him...love? Well I'd call it adoration! Because love implies for me that you are equal.
But no doubt she would have gotten rid of Rodolphus within a second(Avada Kedavra) if Voldemort had asked her to marry him

2. What do you suppose leads Bellatrix to distrust Snape so, as seen in the HBP chapter 'Spinner's End'?

She is used to illoyal Deatheathers surrounding her....so she doesn't trust anybody of them I think.
Snape is even more dangerous because he gets so close to the Dark Lord (and so there's a lot of envy too...)
And Bellatrix is surely worried about the fact that he was living in Hogwarts all these years as a good friend of Dumbledore.
He never tried to find Voldemort, nor did he help others who were trying to put him back in power(Quirrel, Lucius Malfoy, Wormtail...)
He saved Harry Potter several times
She didn't have any reason to trust him....
Oh and by the way: she was right!!!

Does this cast any doubts upon her complete trust in Voldemort?

The "Spinners End"-sequence....wow yes it kind of implies that she too doubts sometimes. But she doesn't want to doubt him which is why she always screams out that he's the best and she's the most loyal one...so that she can't hear her own thoughts in the back of her mind

Does it speak of any prior relationship with Snape?

They were in the same "gang" at Hogwarts together....teenage friends
Sirius sais that in GOF

He went to Griffindor and became best friends with a werewolf and james potter...what more reasons does she need to hate him? It must have felt like betrayal for her....like besmirching the familys reputation. And this was only the beginning....he joined the Order of the Phoenix and fought alongside Dumbledore in the first wizard war....so they were enemies

4. Bellatrix is said to have been at school and joined forces with several other Death Eaters prior to Harry's parents being at Hogwarts. What factors do you see as contributing to the turning of Bellatrix and her peers to Voldemort

Voldemort was the leader they needed....as a teenager everybody wants to change the world and to fight for his ideology. And Voldemort gave them the opportunity to do so....

and how could they have gotten away with this in the middle of Hogwarts?

It's easy keeping secrets at Hogwarts....

Well she likes torturing people, she's really sadistic I'd say. She kinda feeds from pain and fear of her victims and enjoys killing. She's quite insane too but we can blame Azkaban for this. Before, she was jsut arrogant and evil.
After Azkaban she's insane and evil which is even more dangerous.
You realize how evil she really is when she asks Neville about his parents...knowing she was the one who tortured them into St.Mungos. But it also shows she hasn't lost her sense of humor in Azkaban hahaha

She already hated her before she married Remus because she is the daugther of the filthy mudblood her sister Andromeda ran away with.
Her existence is the proof of Andromedas betrayal....her marriage with Remus was the cherry on top of it! She had to be erased!

She wouldn't have wanted to be redeemed....it wouldn't have worked for her

Seeing her master die would have driven her even further into insanity, she would have suffered from a complete mental breakdown.
IF she had been able to realize that what she did was wrong afterwards she would surely have killed herself or gone mad because she finally betrayed her master too or because she realized what she sacrificed for him without ever receiving anything in return

Old May 18th, 2011, 9:47 pm
First Year

I think she definitely had romantic feelings for Voldemort. Sh probably likes the idea of being close to somebody with so much power and control. She probably devoted her life and efforts to voldemort because she liked the power and position voldemort was trying to abtain

I think she is jealous of the relationship between Snape and Voldemort. Voldemort trusts Snape and regards him as his most loyal DE and Bellatrix wants to be Voldemorts right hand man (well women!) I don't think she had any prior relationship with Snape but thinks Snape is taking a backseat everytime there is a battle or conflict such as the one at the department of mysteries because he is never there

Bellatrix and Sirius did not get on and i don't think she really regarded him as her cousin. To her he was just like any other enemy and so treated him as she would treat any other opponent.

Well i don't think they would have been performing any dark magic at Hogwarts. I think her and her friends just liked the ideas voldemort had and wanted to be part of his cult.

I think she likes to see people suffer. She is quite cruel and mad really!

I think it just shows she regards pure -bloods such as herself as superior to everyone else

no probably not

Old June 8th, 2011, 12:00 am
Third Year

As I see it she definitely had romantic feelings for Voldemort, however these were not a pure, true love, but something dark and obsessive. I presume she became so wholly obsessed with him because that's what she was brought up to be. With that upbringing she would quite likely go to one extreme or the other (like Andromeda). Perhaps she was more naturally competitive than Narcissa and other DEs, which led her to have a compulsion to be not only a DE but the best DE.

I think it was more that she saw him as a threat than she genuinely didn't trust him. She wanted him to turn out to be betraying Voldemort so she could retain the belief that she was LV's favourite.

[center]SEEING OTHER PEOPLE
~Rose and Scorpius' story about love~
Old June 9th, 2011, 8:25 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvsnape17 View Post
As I see it she definitely had romantic feelings for Voldemort, however these were not a pure, true love, but something dark and obsessive. I presume she became so wholly obsessed with him because that's what she was brought up to be. With that upbringing she would quite likely go to one extreme or the other (like Andromeda). Perhaps she was more naturally competitive than Narcissa and other DEs, which led her to have a compulsion to be not only a DE but the best DE.
I doubt she was brought up to be obsessed with Voldemort but I suspect that's not what you meant! Judging from her aunt & uncle, Sirius' parents, she would have been brought up to believe in pure-blood supremacy. She might even have been brought up to believe that Voldemort's ideology was right, as the Orion Blacks believed, according to Sirius. Her obsessiveness however, I think, was her own. Neither of her sisters show that particular trait. Sadly we don't see anything of Bella at school so it's hard to tell if she was so obsessive before she came under Voldemort's sway, or whether he inspired it.

Quote:
I think it was more that she saw him as a threat than she genuinely didn't trust him. She wanted him to turn out to be betraying Voldemort so she could retain the belief that she was LV's favourite.
Agreed!

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old July 8th, 2011, 1:18 am
First Year

Bellatrix is not evil. She has a hatred towards Muggles and Muggleborns for taking her dear sister away. She loved Andromeda ( or atleast I think so, I think all the Black sisters were close), loved her very much, as only a sister can love a sister. Being a Black had it's harships, and I think Bellatrix and Andromeda were similiar in a weird way, so it was easy for Bellatrix to vent out around Andromeda. When Andromeda was "snatched away by a Mudblood" I bet Bellatrix was heart-broken, devestated, and became a maniac in her quest to destroy those of the kind of Ted Tonks, who stole her sister's heart, and her sister herself, from Bellatrix, due to grief. No, I don't think Bellatrix had romantic feelings for Voldemort. I think she had an obsession with him, with his views, and with the prospect of being a Death Eater, one of those who destroyed Muggle-borns, and destroyed the idea of associating with them. She was passionate about "the cause" and passionate about the leader. When her eyes lighted up, and she smiled around him, it was not for love, rather, devototion and loyalty, and joy of having been thought of by the man she thought would help her get her sister back. Maybe it was a love, but definetly not the romantic kind.

I think she hated Snape, due to the fact that he could, and would take her place as Voldemort's favorite. She had problems with confidence and attatchment I think. She needed to know she was the best. She needed to know she would always be the best.

I think, as a child, Sirius and Bellatrix were not as close as Andromeda and him, but close enough, and when he joined the Order of Pheonix in his sane mind, it was a betrayal. She had already lost Andromeda, and the loss of another one of her family members made her sort of psychotic with her hunt to kill Sirius. Also, at that time she was at a stage in which she needed to prove to Voldemort that she still was his best Death Eater, as not to lose another again.

Andromeda, falling in love with Ted Tonks, but that's her feul. I think, before that Bellatrix was your average Pure-blood girl, a member of the "most pure" house of Black, and haughty for that too. She was proud, and Sirius said, his family thought Voldemort had the right idea. Plus, it was dangerous, and she was a teenager, and teenager's love danger, and teenage pure-blood girls are usually told to be ladies, so Bellatrix, a stron-willed, independent pure-blood teenager would love the thrill of danger and rebellion against her parent;s wishes, so maybe sshe decided to expiriment with being a Death Eater.

They could have gotton away with it because Voldemort was powerful, and because their parent's supported them (atleast, the guys) 102 percent.

As I explained above, her life included pain. The most pain a person could feel. Awful, true, emotional pain. And that's why Bellatrix wanted to give her enemies a taste of utmost pain. When you are in as much emotional and mental stress as Bellatrix was, the pain becomes physical too.

She probably hated Tonks, because Tonks was the daughter of Ted Tonks. And when she married a werewolf, a member of the Order of Pheonix, and was in the Order Bellatrix must have realized that Andromeda had no regrets, she was completely [i]one of them now.[i] I cant imagine how awful that would be for Bellatrix.

Old December 29th, 2011, 3:38 am
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf

I think Bella was "in love" with Voldemort -- at least as much as she was able to love. She was obviously raised in a family of pure bloodists who hated anything that was not magic. I also think she was a total psychotic and had no conscience, so she didn't have any compunctions against killing.

I think Snape was a slacker as a DE and made himself scarce whenever the action got to rough. IMO, she would have thought anyone not as rabid as she was to be a slacker, but I also think Severus intentionally avoided the torture and kill sessions which made her question his loyalty and courage.

I think she was jealous of Snape being trusted more than she, and I do think it was intentional on his part. It was intended to drive a wedge between them as well as a cover story. I don't think he understood how crazy she was, though and that she would not have considered herself unworthy enough, compared to LV, that he could turn on her the way he did in the atrium at the MoM (OotP, when he told Harry to go ahead and kill her). She would have willingly died for him.

She obviously didn't like him since he had turned away from the pure bloodist stand. Once he did that I don't think it mattered to her that he was a blood relative anymore than it did that Tonks was her cousin.

As we see, a lot of things went on "under the radar" at Hogwarts. There wasn't a lot of direct supervision. I assume that Slughorn was her Head of House, and he let the Dark Lord, himself, get by him. So, I'm sure a few DEs in his house would have not been a problem. After all, he had tickets to Quidditch games and had to make his comments to the Daily Prophet. He probably didn't have much time to supervise his House.

She enjoyed power and watching people suffer. As I said, IMO, she had no conscience and was just an evil person. Next to Voldemort, I think she and Grayback are probably the most evil characters in the stories.

It was just as despicable as her hatred of Muggles and Muggleborns. And I think the hatred for Tonks was there way before she married Lupin. Old Mrs. Black had burned Andromeda off the family tree, so I'm sure Bella was right on board with that.

Nope. That's why I like the character so much. She is so loathsome and you can hate her without feeling bad about it.

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
Old December 30th, 2011, 10:56 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervasCat View Post
I think Snape was a slacker as a DE and made himself scarce whenever the action got to rough. IMO, she would have thought anyone not as rabid as she was to be a slacker, but I also think Severus intentionally avoided the torture and kill sessions which made her question his loyalty and courage.
Bellatrix questioned Snape's loyalty because he had been at Hogwarts with Dumbledore, in a comfortable and respected post, while she had been in Azkaban. He had turned on Lord Voldemort, while she had not. Bellatrix considered any who did not proudly go to Azkaban in Voldemort's name to be a "slacker" or less loyal than her.

Quote:
I don't think he understood how crazy she was, though and that she would not have considered herself unworthy enough, compared to LV, that he could turn on her the way he did in the atrium at the MoM (OotP, when he told Harry to go ahead and kill her). She would have willingly died for him.
That was only in the movie. In the book, Voldemort told Bellatrix not to give him excuses, that he would deal with her later. As for Harry, Voldemort decided he had no further interest in talking to Harry and went straight for the kill. He showed up after Harry had tried to Crucio Bellatrix, while Harry was instead hiding behind the statue taunting Bellatrix.

Bellatrix would have been honoured to die for her master, or to give her family to him, but on this occasion, he brought her from the Ministry with him, rather than leaving her to the Aurors. He may have done it because she was useful, or because she was the only one of the Ministry intruders he could get an explanation for the fiasco from. Bellatrix may have interpreted being "rescued" by the Dark Lord as a sign of how much she meant to him.

Quote:
As we see, a lot of things went on "under the radar" at Hogwarts. There wasn't a lot of direct supervision. I assume that Slughorn was her Head of House, and he let the Dark Lord, himself, get by him. So, I'm sure a few DEs in his house would have not been a problem. After all, he had tickets to Quidditch games and had to make his comments to the Daily Prophet. He probably didn't have much time to supervise his House.
There were other teachers at Hogwarts apart from Slughorn, who for his flaws, was never a supporter of Voldemort. I think that Bellatrix, Lucius, Avery, Mulciber, Snape and co. were just good at putting up a front, at appearing decent when they had to, making sure they couldn't be linked to the things they had done. Lots of things that the students knew about wouldn't have been known by staff, for the reason that the wannabe DEs like Bellatrix would have said and done things around students that they wouldn't dare to do around staff. Even Bellatrix probably knew that she wouldn't be of much use to the Dark Lord if she was expelled and her wand snapped in two.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old December 30th, 2011, 11:09 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
Bellatrix questioned Snape's loyalty because he had been at Hogwarts with Dumbledore, in a comfortable and respected post, while she had been in Azkaban. He had turned on Lord Voldemort, while she had not. Bellatrix considered any who did not proudly go to Azkaban in Voldemort's name to be a "slacker" or less loyal than her.
I'm not sure she was referring to that.

In the Spinner's End chapter in HBP, discussing the "fiasco at the Ministry,"

Quote:
"But not by you!" said Bellatrix furiously. "No, you were once again absent while the rest of us ran dangers, were you not, Snape?"

"My orders were to remain behind," said Snape.
Bellatrix was there with Lucius and the others when they tried to get the prophecy from Harry at the Ministry, while Snape was not. From the context, Snape normally isn't around when Bellatrix and the others "run dangers." I think the simple reason is that Snape's job has always been to be a spy, and a spy's job is to remain hidden and not out in the open, and therefore he would not take part in those activities, just like Bella could never been a spy, since she was a known Death Eater. The roles and positions were very different, IMHO.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, “After all this time?”
And I will say, “Always.”
- source unknown
Old December 30th, 2011, 11:31 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryLore View Post
I'm not sure she was referring to that.

In the Spinner's End chapter in HBP, discussing the "fiasco at the Ministry,"

Bellatrix was there with Lucius and the others when they tried to get the prophecy from Harry at the Ministry, while Snape was not. From the context, Snape normally isn't around when Bellatrix and the others "run dangers." I think the simple reason is that Snape's job has always been to be a spy, and a spy's job is to remain hidden and not out in the open, and therefore he would not take part in those activities, just like Bella could never been a spy, since she was a known Death Eater. The roles and positions were very different, IMHO.

Snape's job was not always as a spy. He came to spy on Dumbledore at some uncertain point after Harry was born. He had been a Death Eater before that. Unless he was useful to Voldemort, he would not have been left alive that long.

There are plenty of things that the Death Eaters did that did not involve dangers, such as their attacks upon Muggles. Prisoners wouldn't be much of a danger, either.
Bellatrix has a very specific view of what is acceptable and unacceptable of a DE, and she seems to consider even someone as twisted as Lucius Malfoy, who was willing to murder children with no direction from their beloved master, to be unworthy.
The crimes and evils the DEs committed did not always put them in danger. Bellatrix relished the danger and saw it as an honour. Others, such as Lucius Malfoy and Snape, may have made sure to commit their crimes when there was no risk to themselves.

"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old December 31st, 2011, 12:05 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Snape's job was not always as a spy. He came to spy on Dumbledore at some uncertain point after Harry was born. He had been a Death Eater before that. Unless he was useful to Voldemort, he would not have been left alive that long.

There are plenty of things that the Death Eaters did that did not involve dangers, such as their attacks upon Muggles. Prisoners wouldn't be much of a danger, either.
Bellatrix has a very specific view of what is acceptable and unacceptable of a DE, and she seems to consider even someone as twisted as Lucius Malfoy, who was willing to murder children with no direction from their beloved master, to be unworthy.
The crimes and evils the DEs committed did not always put them in danger. Bellatrix relished the danger and saw it as an honour. Others, such as Lucius Malfoy and Snape, may have made sure to commit their crimes when there was no risk to themselves.
Perhaps we see things differently. To me, in order for Snape to have applied for a position as a professor at Hogwarts and to have any chance of obtaining it from someone like Dumbledore, he could not be a known Death Eater. If he were torturing muggles and doing other offensive things, even Voldemort would know Snape would have no chance. He also would never be used as a spy at any point, IMHO. His cover would have been blown. Lucius for his part was well known as a Pure Blood Supremacist, and his wife was Bellatrix' sister. I suspect most people knew he was a DE.

I think Bellatrix had a narrow view of how to be a respected DE. In order for someone to truly gain Bellatrix' respect, they have to be assigned to kill someone important, or take part in some dangerous activity. She thought Draco being given the task to kill Dumbledore was a "great honor." She herself volunteered to kill Harry, if I remember correctly. But I think most organizations have different roles for various members, depending on their personalities and skills, just as I believe The Order did. I don't think Bellatrix understood this, but Voldemort did.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
- source unknown
Old December 31st, 2011, 12:17 am
Hogwarts Graduate

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryLore View Post
Perhaps we see things differently. To me, in order for Snape to have applied for a position as a professor at Hogwarts and to have any chance of obtaining it from someone like Dumbledore, he could not be a known Death Eater. If he were torturing muggles and doing other offensive things, even Voldemort would know Snape would have no chance. He also would never be used as a spy at any point, IMHO. His cover would have been blown. Lucius for his part was well known as a Pure Blood Supremacist, and his wife was Bellatrix' sister. I suspect most people knew he was a DE.
As you say, Snape could not be known to be a DE. There were plenty of DEs who were unidentified - that's why Karkaroff was able to bargain his way out of Azkaban. Not bieng known as a DE means nothing. It just shows that they were never caught. And as the saying goes, dead men tell no tales. Snape and his fellows could easily have been torturing and killing Muggles and prisoners - who was to tell? And, even at that, the DEs hid behind their masks when they attacked - to keep their identities secret. Snape not being known as a DE does not mean he was an innocent who committed no DE crimes and cruelties, IMO.

It wasn't enough for Bellatrix, because for her, one had to be putting their neck on the line with Aurors in order to be worthy.

Quote:
I think Bellatrix had a narrow view of how to be a respected DE. In order for someone to truly gain Bellatrix' respect, they have to be assigned to kill someone important, or take part in some dangerous activity. She thought Draco being given the task to kill Dumbledore was a "great honor." She herself volunteered to kill Harry, if I remember correctly. But I think most organizations have different roles for various members, depending on their personalities and skills, just as I believe The Order did. I don't think Bellatrix understood this, but Voldemort did.
The DEs' duties were to kill, to intimidate and terrorise the wizarding world. None of them were there to sit around sipping firewhisky and engaging Voldemort in interesting conversation. Being useful to Voldemort meant harming others, in whatever way one did so. Being a Death Eater, at its most basic level, involved harming others, destroying the lives of others. No matter what one actually did as a DE, that's what it boiled down to.
Bellatrix felt that to be worthy, one had to be putting themselves at risk. Merely killing and harming others wasn't enough - suffering and risk on behalf of Voldemort was something she considered necessary to be a worthy DE. Lacking a conscience and being capable of harm were what Voldemort required.

Old December 31st, 2011, 12:40 am
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf

I think the more "enthusiastic" DE's, such as Bellatrix, were known. I think her statement: "No, you were once again absent while the rest of us ran dangers, were you not, Snape?" refers to his absence during their early DE days and she was assuming that he was picking up, with the battle at the Ministry, where he left off. So, as far as she was concerned, he was not being loyal to LV because he was not joining in all the fun and games that she and the likes of Barty, Jr., were up to. She doesn't just say that he was just absent from the Ministry battle, but that he was once again absent, implying it had happened before. Since the battle at the Ministry was the first she had participated in since being out of Azkaban, the others she referred to, IMO, had to have been during the first war.

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
Old December 31st, 2011, 12:42 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Lacking a conscience and being capable of harm were what Voldemort required.
And you can do harm in more ways than killing human beings. Evil can also wear a winning smile and yet erase people's memories and claim their deeds as one's own, like Lockhart did, and yet i don't think he ever killed anyone. I think Umbridge was evil as well, but not a murderer. Voldemort by the second war had people in high places in the Ministry itself, who were passing laws and sentencing innocent people to Azkaban, but they weren't murdering people, either. Evil wears many faces, and while I do think the DE's were evil, i don't think they were all murderers. And this is the very thing I don't think Bellatrix understood. To her, you had to put yourself in danger and take lives to be a respectable DE. I think Voldemort thought the person had to be loyal and useful. If the person had a use and was helping him accomplish his goals, then he was getting what he wanted.

- source unknown
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies