Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

The deleted scenes we've never seen...

Old August 6th, 2011, 1:30 am
First Year

Re: The deleted scenes we've never seen...

BrianTung: Exactly. Those scenes are included as "Deleted Scenes" on the DVDs. I see no need for them to be included in the movies. What some fail to see is that there is something called a director's vision. Making a movie longer isn't necessarily an improvement and having scenes in a TV version while not having them incorporated into the movie on DVD doesn't mean that one version is more "complete" than the other.
Directors like Yates or Cuaron (the latter even more so) seem to be absolutely content with the work they were able to send off to cinemas. So in the end the movie itself will not differ, no matter if on the regular or the ultimate edition.

At the time that Philosopher's Stone came out, there was no guarantee that it would be a hit among audiences around the world, so naturally various scenes had to be cut to improve the flow and to keep it from getting even longer than it already was.
But with the enormous success of the franchise, people in charge had less and less restrictions considering length and content. Thus, what we get with the latter movies is deleted scenes as bonus material instead of extended editions. Entirely acceptable, I'd say.

Sometimes...you know - for a change - be happy with what you get.

Last edited by Abdel; August 6th, 2011 at 1:32 am.
Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2011, 1:38 am
Too... Much... Fangirling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdel View Post
Thus, what we get with the latter ones is deleted scenes as bonus material instead of extended editions.
But the point is that there are a lot more 'deleted scenes' that they have never released. While I personally would love extended editions, I would be just as happy if they simply released this footage, even if it is not completed (for example like the PoA deleted scenes on the DVD).

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Old August 6th, 2011, 2:23 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
BrianTung: Exactly. Those scenes are included as "Deleted Scenes" on the DVDs. I see no need for them to be included in the movies. What some fail to see is that there is something called a director's vision. Making a movie longer isn't necessarily an improvement and having scenes in a TV version while not having them incorporated into the movie on DVD doesn't mean that one version is more "complete" than the other.
Directors like Yates or Cuaron (the latter even more so) seem to be absolutely content with the work they were able to send off to cinemas. So in the end the movie itself will not differ, no matter if on the regular or the ultimate edition.

At the time that Philosopher's Stone came out, there was no guarantee that it would be a hit among audiences around the world, so naturally various scenes had to be cut to improve the flow and to keep it from getting even longer than it already was.
But with the enormous success of the franchise, people in charge had less and less restrictions considering length and content. Thus, what we get with the latter movies is deleted scenes as bonus material instead of extended editions. Entirely acceptable, I'd say.

Well, no. I don't want to see deleted scenes as bonus material. I want the extended editions. I want the continuity.

Old August 6th, 2011, 3:15 am
Third Year

The deleted scenes in the DVDs are umm a disappointment. I though that they had a lot unseen footage but I guess not....

{Magnolia class 0f 2010}
Ron & Hermione Forever
Old August 6th, 2011, 3:18 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnolia7 View Post
The deleted scenes in the DVDs are umm a disappointment. I though that they had a lot unseen footage but I guess not....
They do have a lot of unseen footage. It remains unseen, though.

I'm sure that at some point in the very distant future, they will release the never-before-seen deleted scenes. At least, I hope so - I'd LOVE to see what Order of the Phoenix contained.

Old August 6th, 2011, 4:08 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajna View Post
I don't want to see deleted scenes as bonus material. I want the extended editions. I want the continuity.
My thoughts exactly. Watching deleted scenes in the bonus materials just doesn't work for me. I want to see them incorporated into the films...like the LotR extended versions.

Pottermore Profile:
OwlPurple114
House: Ravenclaw
Wand Specifics: 12 1/4 in...Cedar...Phoenix Feather...Unbending

Proud Member of the House of Ravenclaw
Old August 6th, 2011, 4:15 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapes_Girl View Post
My thoughts exactly. Watching deleted scenes in the bonus materials just doesn't work for me. I want to see them incorporated into the films...like the LotR extended versions.
Well, my guess is that you will get your wish, but you might have to wait a while, depending on how much WB decides to milk this thing. There may be a Special Edition coming out around Christmastime, then an Ultimate Edition coming out next June or July. It all depends on how money-grubby they decide to be.

Cornets acoustiques et de glace!

Pottermore Beta Tester, First Batch (2011-08-15)
ChaserQuaffle211
Ravenclaw (about what I expected)
14-1/2 inches, redwood with phoenix feather core, brittle
Russian blue cat
Old August 6th, 2011, 10:57 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajna View Post
Well, no. I don't want to see deleted scenes as bonus material. I want the extended editions. I want the continuity.
At Pottermore, Miss Rowling plans to release previously unpublished side stories and outtakes of the books. Would you, at a later point, want to see those incorporated into the books for continuity?

Old August 6th, 2011, 2:13 pm
Third Year

I would be completely happy if they add them on the DVD/BD as deleted scenes. Whether they incorporate them into the movie or not doesn't matter to me, it's just that we know they still sit on hours of deleted scenes that they have yet to release.

Old August 6th, 2011, 2:31 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
At Pottermore, Miss Rowling plans to release previously unpublished side stories and outtakes of the books. Would you, at a later point, want to see those incorporated into the books for continuity?
Depends on what it is.

Spoiler: show
McGonagall's romance would be best added as part of an epilogue of sorts, since it adds nothing to the story. But SWM or Sirius' talks with Harry would work best if incorporated directly into the book.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, After all this time?
And I will say, Always.
- source unknown
Old August 8th, 2011, 6:33 pm
First Year

Quote:

And you don't seem to understand that hardcore Potter fans don't see the films a success if they are well paced or the directors saw the films as good enough. We, as fans who made the series the highest grossing film series of all time, think we deserve the extended editions that we believe include unreleased footage that will make the films as more canon and more "complete". What is the point of holding back deleted footage at Potter's economical peak, especially when fans want to see it?

Old August 8th, 2011, 7:16 pm
First Year

Sportsman280, I see what you mean. I'm not saying they should hold back the footage. I myself am very much looking forward to seeing them on a possible future DVD / bluray. Surely it would be nice to have an option for seamless branching, but I have a lot of respect for a director who keeps his movies like they were (see Star Wars, a perfect example of a movie that, although it worked wonderfully, got tampered with a little too much). After all, those theatrical versions were what made you go and help make it the "highest grossing film series of all time".

What we don't know is: how many of the scenes that were shot but left out are actually in a state that is publishable? how many actually made it from the script and screen-testing stage to proper filming anyway? how big a portion of those deleted scenes is in fact utter garbage? or, uhm, actually did land in the garbage?

I'm positive that we'll see more scenes on future releases. There might be no new books or movies, but you can rest assured that WB will milk this cow a little longer.

Old August 9th, 2011, 2:05 am
First Year

Quote:
What we don't know is: how many of the scenes that were shot but left out are actually in a state that is publishable? how many actually made it from the script and screen-testing stage to proper filming anyway? how big a portion of those deleted scenes is in fact utter garbage? or, uhm, actually did land in the garbage?
Given that most of these scene we know of from high quality promo shots, I'm sure they're good enough to release to the public as deleted content. And I'm sure, with a little work, they'd work in an extended release. I doubt any of this stuff is in the garbage, these films have been filmed digitally, it's all stashed away at Leavesden.

Old August 9th, 2011, 2:27 am
First Year

Quote:
these films have been filmed digitally,...
The Harry Potter franchise has been entirely shot on film.

Still, I don't actually believe they'd throw away unused scenes. Not for these films.

Old August 9th, 2011, 2:52 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsman280 View Post
And you don't seem to understand that hardcore Potter fans don't see the films a success if they are well paced or the directors saw the films as good enough.
I see what you mean, but I don't believe you can generalize that all hardcore fans think this way. Personally, I'd rather have a decently paced film with artistic value that may leave out a point or two, than a slow, uninspired, canon-accurate film. This is the difference between PS and CoS, and the rest of the series. I disliked PS/CoS but really liked PoA, which perhaps is the most stylized and well-paced film of the series, which may have left out a few plot points.

Quote:
We, as fans who made the series the highest grossing film series of all time, think we deserve the extended editions that we believe include unreleased footage that will make the films as more canon and more "complete".
The fans are not the ones who made the series the highest-grossing film series of all time. If only the fans had seen the movies, they would have had a very unsuccessful film series on their hands, which wouldn't have made enough money to finish itself. Had the films kept in every plot point and stayed true to Columbus' directing style, which the fans clearly liked but the general public didn't, the series would never have been finished. And, as I mentioned above, more canon and complete doesn't make the best movies for some fans.

Old August 9th, 2011, 3:35 am
First Year

I have to disagree with your point about the general public disliking Columbus' directing style. Until DH2, SS was the most financially successful film and CS made more than Cuaron's POA. Just pointing out the facts.

Old August 9th, 2011, 3:43 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellatrix0501 View Post
I have to disagree with your point about the general public disliking Columbus' directing style. Until DH2, SS was the most financially successful film and CS made more than Cuaron's POA. Just pointing out the facts.
Sorcerer's Stone was successful because of the hype leading up to it (this was Harry Potter at its most popular), and PoA made less than CoS because of CoS: People were deterred by CoS and thus didn't want to see PoA, expecting more of the same. In other words, they didn't like CoS, and therefore didn't want to see PoA. GoF did better than PoA because of PoA, which basically "saved the series." Word of mouth has no effect on sequels, only the movie before it.

This is the reason you see such a big drop between PS and CoS: People didn't like PS, and therefore didn't want to see CoS. Some of the people who gave CoS a shot, didn't like it, and therefore didn't want to see PoA. Nearly everyone who saw PoA liked it, as well as on DVD, and therefore saw GoF, which is why GoF grossed far, far more than PoA.

So, you can really gauge an audience's reaction to a movie by its sequel's success.

Old August 9th, 2011, 7:47 am
First Year

Quote:
We, as fans who made the series the highest grossing film series of all time
That's... an incredibly rude and assuming thing to say to all the people who have seen the movies. As someone who has never read the books (and has no interest in reading them until an e-book edition comes out), you're telling me that my bought tickets did nothing to bring Potter to where it is now fame wise? That's incredibly condescending.

Everyone who saw the films AND bought the books helped. Every single person who saw even one movie helped bring Potter to it's gloriously high fame. Without the moviegoers liking the movies, they never would have become as famous as they are now.

You can't please everyone, but saying the movies should have catered only to you and "the fans" is selfish.

I'm sorry, but if the movies did not pull in money they would never have been finished. Look at the Golden Compass series. They made the first movie, bombed in theaters, then never made a second, stranding GC fans with no realistic chance of ever seeing a second movie... ever. Even though Golden Compass bombed in theaters mostly because they released a movie with an anti-religion theme in America, the point still stands that it could have been Potter. What would you rather have, two Potter movies that pack in every single minuscule detail and bore the people who didn't read the books and never makes it past CoS, or the fantastic eight film amazing series we have now?

Last edited by BaronYiffington; August 9th, 2011 at 8:01 am.
Old August 9th, 2011, 8:54 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
We, as fans who made the series the highest grossing film series of all time, think we deserve the extended editions that we believe include unreleased footage that will make the films as more canon and more "complete".
How arrogant. The bulk of people who made the films a financial success are not fen. And the films only attracted non-fen because of the work of the artists involved in the film-making process.

More to the point, the artists, particularly the directors have delivered what they consider to be a complete version. Unless they decide to do an extended edition you'll just have to be content with their interpretation.

If you can't respect them enough to accept that, tough.

Neil Gaiman on fans with an over-inflated sense of entitlement.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old August 9th, 2011, 9:08 am
Second Year

I think if they've recorded scenes, regardless of how 'finished' they are, they will likely throw a few in with the usual "Super Deluxe Ultra Extended Collector's Edition" that will come out in the next few years.