Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

The Tales of Beedle the Bard book

Old November 1st, 2007, 6:43 pm
First Year

The Tales of Beedle the Bard book

I went onto the website to see if I could buy the catalogue of the "Tales of Beadle the Bard" but when you add it to your shopping cart, not only the catalogue enters your cart but also something else called:

"English Literature, History, Children's Books and Illustrations"

Does anyone know what this is?

It doesn't have a description and I'm wondering if it has anything to do with Harry Potter even...

Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2007, 6:46 pm
First Year

Re: 'Tales of Beedle the Bard' Catalogue

This is from yahoo news. It might help to answer your question.

LONDON - J.K. Rowling has completed her first book not to feature teen wizard Harry Potter an illustrated collection of magical fairy stories titled "The Tales of Beedle the Bard."

Only seven copies of the book are being printed, Rowling said Thursday. One will be auctioned next month to raise money for a children's charity, while the others have been given away as gifts.

Rowling drew the illustrations herself and provided the handwriting for the five stories that make up the collection of fairytales.

"The Tales of Beedle the Bard" is mentioned in the final Potter book, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," as a gift left by headmaster Albus Dumbledore to Harry's friend Hermione, and provides clues that help destroy evil Lord Voldemort.

"'The Tales of Beedle the Bard' is really a distillation of the themes found in the Harry Potter books, and writing it has been the most wonderful way to say goodbye to a world I have loved and lived in for 17 years," Rowling said in a statement.

The volume, bound in brown morocco leather and mounted with silver and semiprecious stones, will be auctioned at Sotheby's on Dec. 13 with a starting price of $62,000. Proceeds will go to The Children's Voice, a charity that helps vulnerable children across Europe.

"Deathly Hallows," the seventh and final installment in Harry's adventures, was published in July. The seven books have sold nearly 400 million copies and have been translated into 64 languages.

Rowling told the British Broadcasting Corp. that the book of fairytales had helped her say goodbye to Harry's world.

"It's not about Harry, Ron and Hermione, but it comes from that world," she told BBC radio in an interview broadcast Thursday. "So it's been therapeutic in a way."

Rowling said she was working on a new book, "a half-finished book for children that I think will probably be the next thing I publish."

On Wednesday, Rowling and the makers of the Harry Potter movies filed a lawsuit against RDR Books, a small U.S. publisher that plans to bring out a companion volume based on the Harry Potter Lexicon fan Web site.

Rowling has said she plans to produce her own encyclopedia of the wizarding world and says the book would infringe on her intellectual property rights.

"What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived."
Old November 1st, 2007, 7:15 pm
Third Year

It's a shame Jo didn't made a massive printing of the Tales of Beedle the Bard and then gave all the money to charity, I would have killed for a copy. Although I understand she just wrote it for her most loyal and supporting friends/family (and as they were only 6 and she just ought to make 7 copies, she auctioned the 7th one) for being there for her and have seen Harry since the idea pop into Jo's head. And I also think it's a very good gesture of Jo to write a book JUST for her friends, unique and (I belive) hand written.

Old November 1st, 2007, 7:20 pm
First Year

I know the information about the book...sorry i forgot to put in a link to show you what I was talking about.
Heres the link:
https://www.sothebys.com/app/live/pu...event_id=28411
When you click 'Add to Your Shopping Basket' both get added but I'm wondering what the first one is.
The second one is clearly the actual Catalogue but I'm not sure what the first one is...

Old November 1st, 2007, 7:27 pm
Second Year

What is the catalogue?

"Dark and difficult times lay ahead, soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy"

My wand: 12", Holly, Dragon Heartstring.
My Patronus: A Snake
My Animagus: A Wolf
Old November 1st, 2007, 7:27 pm
First Year

It would perhaps have been nice if, as well as creating these unique hand-written editions, she had allowed a paperback version to be sold as well - like Fantastic beasts and where to find them and Quidditch through the ages - she would still have made alot of money for charity, but we would also have got a copy!
Nice of her to handwrite them for her friends though.

Old November 1st, 2007, 8:01 pm
First Year

I see that people are commenting on the Beadle the Bard books that JK wrote but this is about the catalogue..not the actual book...im not trying to be harsh but those comments should be for a different thread...

Here is the description of the Catalogue if youd like to know which is located at this link:
https://www.sothebys.com/app/live/pu...event_id=28411
Quote:
"The 'Tales of Beedle the Bard' manuscript will be offered as the final lot in the English Literature and Children's Books auction on 13th December 2007 (L07411).

A special commemorative catalogue for this unique item is being produced and will be available to purchase from Sotheby's. The 48 page commemorative catalogue contains a message from the author about the creative inception of 'The Tales of Beedle the Bard' plus images from the manuscript itself.

Also included is information about The Children's Voice charity, images showing the making of the manuscript and auction information for prospective buyers. Profits from the sale of the catalogue will be donated to The Children's Voice.

The catalogue can be pre-ordered online, click the 'Add to your shopping basket' link to place an order.

Catalogues will be available for shipping and to purchase in person at Sotheby's London Bond Street and New York salerooms from mid/late November 2007. "
If anyone has any clue what the first item is, please let me know.

Old November 1st, 2007, 8:05 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenub927 View Post
When you click 'Add to Your Shopping Basket' both get added but I'm wondering what the first one is.
The second one is clearly the actual Catalogue but I'm not sure what the first one is...
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Flagrate_ View Post
What is the catalogue?
I think the catalogue is the brochure the auction house publishes for what it's going to auction off. I never thought about it but I guess even the brochures have value as collectibles.

I'm not sure what the other item is, either. It looks like it's just another item that's being auctioned the same day or perhaps these are Sotheby's only two current offerings in the same category.

Old November 1st, 2007, 8:39 pm
Third Year

I really wish that she would, like, mass produce those books, because I would most definately buy one. But since she's not, I'm just going to hope a version of it comes up on the computer (not likely).

As for the catalogue thing--I have no idea.

~~Proud Owner of J.K.Rowling's Autograph~~

Fanfiction.net: Search 'Author'--imagine131
(Currently 2 Avatar fics posted)
Fictionpress.com: Search 'Author'--imagine131
(Currently 1 General fic posted)
Old November 1st, 2007, 8:57 pm
Fifth Year

I do hope that some day this book is available commercially. It's great that she's donating one for a charity auction, but millions of other people worldwide would love to read the Tales!

Ron and Hermione in Deathly Hallows

Dobby's large, pointed ears were now sticking out from beneath what looked like all the hats Hermione had ever knitted; he
was wearing one on top of the other, so that his head seemed elongated by two or three feet, and on the very topmost
bobble sat Hedwig, hooting serenely and obviously cured.
Old November 1st, 2007, 8:59 pm
Sirius' Girl

Only seven copies -- that is too bad -- if she did it the same way she did the Fantasic Beasts and Quidditch books, they could still give the proceeds to charity, and we would be so happy

Old November 1st, 2007, 9:47 pm
Second Year

It would be nice if she did them the same as the other 2 books for charity, then she could raise more money and we could all have a copy. But then again they wouldn't really of made special, personal gifts to those 6 people would they?

Perhaps the lucky person to buy the 7th will type up the stories or perhaps they'll be come available online or something?

"Dark and difficult times lay ahead, soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy"

Old November 1st, 2007, 10:22 pm
Second Year

Quote:
It would be nice if she did them the same as the other 2 books for charity, then she could raise more money and we could all have a copy. But then again they wouldn't really of made special, personal gifts to those 6 people would they?

Perhaps the lucky person to buy the 7th will type up the stories or perhaps they'll be come available online or something?
The original copies would still be extra special though as I believe they each contain individual messages to the recipients. It'd be great just to reproduce the stories inside for everyone else. It'd not detract from the value and uniqueness (if that's a word!) of an original handwritten book but still allow the fans to share the actual content.

Old November 1st, 2007, 10:34 pm
Fourth Year

I see two possibilities:

1. The six family/friend recipients can understandably be expected to adhere to her wishes. The auction winner may have to sign a confidentiality agreement of some sort, at least for some span of time.

or else

2. Some jerk will get a hold of one of the copies (or the master from her printers) and have the text plastered all over the internet before the gavel drops at Sotheby's

She may release the text of the stories in some format herself. It sounds like the catalogue will have excerpts from the text. Or maybe these stories will be her first venture into e-books. Or she may release a new one on her website each week, getting donors to donate large sums to her favorite charities in order to be the event sponsor each week. That might allow her to set it up that only her family, friends and that one winning bidder will ever have an official, printed and bound copy.

Old November 1st, 2007, 11:13 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivetHedge View Post

2. Some jerk will get a hold of one of the copies (or the master from her printers) and have the text plastered all over the internet before the gavel drops at Sotheby's
I don't think there any printers involved as she has physically written the books out herself in ink (at least that's the impression I got). I remain in hope that we will be able to see the stories in some form or other!

Old November 1st, 2007, 11:50 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

There's always another option that later on the stories end up in the encyclopedia. (ah, one can wish). It would still make the original seven special or rather not make them less special.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 12:02 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw82 View Post
I don't think there any printers involved as she has physically written the books out herself in ink (at least that's the impression I got). I remain in hope that we will be able to see the stories in some form or other!
Yes, you're right! I just went over and reread JKR's post on her news page. She refers to hand-written copies. Funny, when I was writing my post, I was thinking of using "book-binder" instead of printer. I guess my subconscious mind was trying to tell me I was off-course. Of course, she can maintain greater security this way.

Old November 2nd, 2007, 5:37 pm
Seventh Year

Hhmmm, cool i guess, but i would have loved a copy of it. It would have been great if it were mass produced and fans would get one....but somehow i don't think i can afford ot pay around $62, 000 for one at auction

''Dear Professor Snape,
Dude...It's called Shampoo.
Love Anomoulous xX''

Ways to Annoy Snape...Wink at him evertime you catch his eye

Come and Guess The Screenshot!!! http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=110197
Old November 2nd, 2007, 7:08 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw82 View Post
The original copies would still be extra special though as I believe they each contain individual messages to the recipients. It'd be great just to reproduce the stories inside for everyone else. It'd not detract from the value and uniqueness (if that's a word!) of an original handwritten book but still allow the fans to share the actual content.
Yes it would. There's 7 because they're special gifts for people. Making millions of them kinda disrupts the "unique" feel to something.

Old November 2nd, 2007, 11:23 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Yes it would. There's 7 because they're special gifts for people. Making millions of them kinda disrupts the "unique" feel to something.
OK, but if JKR were to handwrite and illustrate 7 versions of Deathly Hallows, I would still call those versions unique, despite the fact that millions of people own a standard copy of the book. They would certainly be worth a lot more money! I just think the actual stories could be shared with everyone.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References