Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

The Tales of Beedle the Bard book

Old November 3rd, 2007, 3:21 pm
First Year

Beetles & Bard Tale!!

I read that Jo has hand written 6 copies of this tale (5 went to good friends or family and the 6th and last 1 is being actioned off to a charity. The cover is said to be encrusted with jewels and gold, and to be a 3 book tale. I read that the book actioning will start off around $66,000.00 which depressed me because I'm sure ain't got a bank account that fat..lol! Plus from the sound of the article it seems it won't be a published book set. I will post the article as well as the link to it, so you can see it for yourself. I was wondering how everyone felt about this, due to the fact that I have read many fellow members thread that stated they to wished she would write a Beatles and Bard Tale!
IMO: After the auctioning of the book for charity is complete, and such. Then time passes and her fans begin the painstaking process of begging for it, that there is a very good chance she'll published it. (Or is that my utmost hope, instead of my opinion?) Either or, I so hope we all get the chance to buy this wonderful tale at our local book stores. Even though I would love to be a friend that got one of the wonderful, handwritten copies.I also think it would be a GREAT IDEA to possibly make a world-wide writing contest, for all ages, & walks of life. That Jo would decide the winner of, but I know she says time and time again she is very busy and wants a break.That if in the future she gets the burning desire to write more Harry Potter she will.
"Let's hope she gets that desire!"
PLEASE your opinions on this news!!!

Stop on by my site if ya like by clicking on the banner below. Then take a peek at the Harry Potter Club & Fan Art!!

"I LOVE HARRY POTTER!"
Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2007, 7:21 pm
Second Year

Re: Beetles & Bard Tale!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer608 View Post
I read that Jo has hand written 6 copies of this tale (5 went to good friends or family and the 6th and last 1 is being actioned off to a charity. The cover is said to be encrusted with jewels and gold, and to be a 3 book tale. I read that the book actioning will start off around $66,000.00 which depressed me because I'm sure ain't got a bank account that fat..lol! Plus from the sound of the article it seems it won't be a published book set. I will post the article as well as the link to it, so you can see it for yourself. I was wondering how everyone felt about this, due to the fact that I have read many fellow members thread that stated they to wished she would write a Beatles and Bard Tale!
IMO: After the auctioning of the book for charity is complete, and such. Then time passes and her fans begin the painstaking process of begging for it, that there is a very good chance she'll published it. (Or is that my utmost hope, instead of my opinion?) Either or, I so hope we all get the chance to buy this wonderful tale at our local book stores. Even though I would love to be a friend that got one of the wonderful, handwritten copies.I also think it would be a GREAT IDEA to possibly make a world-wide writing contest, for all ages, & walks of life. That Jo would decide the winner of, but I know she says time and time again she is very busy and wants a break.That if in the future she gets the burning desire to write more Harry Potter she will.
"Let's hope she gets that desire!"
PLEASE your opinions on this news!!!
For starters she's giving 6 of the books to friends, not 5. And only 1 is being auctioned off. And the starting price is £30,000 or around $62,500. They're bounded in leather and is embellished with silver and semi-precious stones. Not gold and jewels.

She won't publish it. They were gifts and an act of generousity. Mass producing these books would kind of counter-act the feeling of uniqueness in her gifts to friends no?

I mean of course we can hope she publishes them. But I wouldn't hold your breathe on it.

"Dark and difficult times lay ahead, soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy"

My wand: 12", Holly, Dragon Heartstring.
My Patronus: A Snake
My Animagus: A Wolf
Old November 3rd, 2007, 7:42 pm
Mad Hatter

Re: 'Tales of Beedle the Bard' Catalogue

They are also handwritten and illustrated. I am sad I won't ever get to see one up close, but I think it is wonderful that she is doing something so worthy for charity.

Old November 3rd, 2007, 7:49 pm
Third Year

I think it's really awesome that Jo wrote Tales of Beedle the Bard, though I won't ever see it.
It's even more awesome that the book is handwritten.

Old November 4th, 2007, 12:50 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonks View Post
They are also handwritten and illustrated. I am sad I won't ever get to see one up close, but I think it is wonderful that she is doing something so worthy for charity.
It's a very generous thing to do but she could raise lots more money by publishing versions of the book for charity. (Lol, I'm just trying to find any old excuse to convince her to share the stories! )

Old November 4th, 2007, 2:11 am
First Year

She won't publish it. They were gifts and an act of generousity. Mass producing these books would kind of counter-act the feeling of uniqueness in her gifts to friends no?

I mean of course we can hope she publishes them. But I wouldn't hold your breathe on it.[/quote]

I wouldn't be so sure. If she didn't want/expect a great outcry from her fandom for her to publish this book, she would have given the gifts to her friends privately and kept us totally out of the loop. I believe this is a way to drum up excitement about the book and lead to huge sales potential when she eventually does publish the book, as I am sure she will. She may be charitable-minded but she is no dummy- increasing the desirability of an item=increased profitablity of the item.

Old November 4th, 2007, 4:02 am
Fifth Year

I am with you guys on that she won't publish it. I do hope that she will share the stories though. It would be a great thing for her site. I don't need to own a copy, I would just love to read what she came up with being as creative as she is.

There are a lot of us COSer's, let's all put in 10 bucks so we can all know the story. jk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenub927 View Post
I went onto the website to see if I could buy the catalogue of the "Tales of Beadle the Bard" but when you add it to your shopping cart, not only the catalogue enters your cart but also something else called:

"English Literature, History, Children's Books and Illustrations"

Does anyone know what this is?

It doesn't have a description and I'm wondering if it has anything to do with Harry Potter even...
A catalogue is the list of objects up for auction. You can't purchase it, it is just to look at before the auction.

I'm A Superfan!

Would You Like To See
My W.O.M.B.A.T. Card?
Old November 4th, 2007, 1:31 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Flagrate_ View Post
For starters she's giving 6 of the books to friends, not 5. And only 1 is being auctioned off. And the starting price is £30,000 or around $62,500. They're bounded in leather and is embellished with silver and semi-precious stones. Not gold and jewels.

I mean of course we can hope she publishes them. But I wouldn't hold your breathe on it.

I am sorry I was one off on the amount she was giving away and was very close to the starting price of the auction. You need not be so snappy geesh. Plus I was merely stating what I hoped in the ways of publishing.
Plus if they were published they surely would not be all handwritten by Jo herself. I think the handwritten books are definitely much more valuable as a gift don't cha think? Plus IMO their will be a huge cry from the fans for this small series, then the excitement will build once this info is everywhere and all the fans know about it and it probably will be published.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixiemom View Post
I wouldn't be so sure. If she didn't want/expect a great outcry from her fandom for her to publish this book, she would have given the gifts to her friends privately and kept us totally out of the loop. I believe this is a way to drum up excitement about the book and lead to huge sales potential when she eventually does publish the book, as I am sure she will. She may be charitable-minded but she is no dummy- increasing the desirability of an item=increased profitablity of the item.
I didn't see your post until now, and your point was excellently put! You said it better than me!

Stop on by my site if ya like by clicking on the banner below. Then take a peek at the Harry Potter Club & Fan Art!!

"I LOVE HARRY POTTER!"

Last edited by stargazer608; November 4th, 2007 at 1:57 pm.
Old November 4th, 2007, 2:57 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixiemom
Or she did it to drum up the excitement about the charity auction. The fact that there are only seven copies makes that little book worth a lot, and gets people more excited to buy it.

And besides, if in the future she DID publish it, what do you think the person who bought the copy at the auction would feel like? They were assured that there was only 6 other copies out there, and those where owned by JKR's freinds and family. I don't think Jo would go against her word like that. That to me is greedy and cruel, and I really don't see her as greedy and cruel, do you? I mean she is worth so much money already, and from everything I've heard from her she doesn't seem to want more. I'm positive it won't be published for the public; OR if it will be, it will be after her death and somebody in her family decides to do it.

SHIP OF THE MOMENT:
Usako and Mamo-chan
Old November 4th, 2007, 5:55 pm
Second Year

[quote=stargazer608;4833561]
I am sorry I was one off on the amount she was giving away and was very close to the starting price of the auction. You need not be so snappy geesh. Plus I was merely stating what I hoped in the ways of publishing.
Plus if they were published they surely would not be all handwritten by Jo herself. I think the handwritten books are definitely much more valuable as a gift don't cha think? Plus IMO their will be a huge cry from the fans for this small series, then the excitement will build once this info is everywhere and all the fans know about it and it probably will be published.

I wasn't being snappy, I was just making a correction. No need to get defensive about it.

Of course hand written books would be more valuable. But mass producing them, even if they are like her other two charity books would take away the heart of the gift. Ok they're bounded in leather and covered with siler and stones. But the most important thing is what's in it. The stories. And if they're mass produced it takes away meaning from them as gifts.

Just because fans want something doesn't mean it has to be so. A majority of us want more books...think it'll happen? No it won't. They were gifts. And gifts they shall remain.

"Dark and difficult times lay ahead, soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy"

Old November 4th, 2007, 8:32 pm
First Year

OK sorry I was snappy then. I just figured that the specialness of them being handwritten and bound (let's just say) in the fancy way. Plus them getting the copies first would make them very valuable as a gift if they were to be published. Because publishing them means they'll be mass produced by machines, and not Jo's own hands. I guess like I said before in my 1st post
Maybe I'm just expressing my hopes I guess...lol! I just really hope we get to somehow read the story even if it's leaked onto the web (which I know sounds bad) But, I would to read the little set of books.

"I LOVE HARRY POTTER!"
Old November 4th, 2007, 10:21 pm
First Year

[quote=_Flagrate_;4833787]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer608 View Post

I wasn't being snappy, I was just making a correction. No need to get defensive about it.

Of course hand written books would be more valuable. But mass producing them, even if they are like her other two charity books would take away the heart of the gift. Ok they're bounded in leather and covered with siler and stones. But the most important thing is what's in it. The stories. And if they're mass produced it takes away meaning from them as gifts.

Just because fans want something doesn't mean it has to be so. A majority of us want more books...think it'll happen? No it won't. They were gifts. And gifts they shall remain.
I continue to disagree with the thought that she will NEVER publish these stories widely. I am not implying that Ms. Rowling is greedy or cruel by doing so, only that she is a savvy businesswoman, and we must remember that this is her "business", so to speak. The fact that the book would eventually be published for a widespread audience would in no way diminish the unique handwritten gifts she has created for her friends. The fact that there are only 7 handwritten and ornate copies in the world would remain. Only 7 people will ever own those. That makes them unique and special. She would not be going against her word because, of course she will not handwrite millions of copies, so there will be no more like them. Only time will tell, but I still believe the book will become available to fans eventually, or she would never have let us know she had even written it.

Old November 4th, 2007, 11:22 pm
First Year

[quote=vixiemom;4834083]
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Flagrate_ View Post
I continue to disagree with the thought that she will NEVER publish these stories widely. I am not implying that Ms. Rowling is greedy or cruel by doing so, only that she is a savvy businesswoman, and we must remember that this is her "business", so to speak. The fact that the book would eventually be published for a widespread audience would in no way diminish the unique handwritten gifts she has created for her friends. The fact that there are only 7 handwritten and ornate copies in the world would remain. Only 7 people will ever own those. That makes them unique and special. She would not be going against her word because, of course she will not handwrite millions of copies, so there will be no more like them. Only time will tell, but I still believe the book will become available to fans eventually, or she would never have let us know she had even written it.

My feelings exactly about the difference of the personal books (and their meaning not being diminished) compared to the mass produced ones would be so so different.

"I LOVE HARRY POTTER!"
Old November 5th, 2007, 12:00 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixiemom View Post
I still believe the book will become available to fans eventually, or she would never have let us know she had even written it.
The book was announced to generate publicity for the auction.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old November 5th, 2007, 12:50 pm
Second Year

Well I guess we can only wait and see if she decided to get them published. I mean that's the only way we could settle this. Otherwise we could argue forever about if she'd release them or not.

Old December 13th, 2007, 11:59 pm
Fourth Year

One way to find out is create a petition to send to her manager and the publishing houses.

She has said the next book related to Harry Potter is the Encyclopedia and stated that she won't be selling the writes to have this book published to us, her fans.

Old December 14th, 2007, 6:07 am
Seventh Year

The Tales of Beedle the Bard - book for fans

The winner of the auction at Sotheby`s was revealed! It is a wellknown country to most of us and kindly they gave a review of the first story "The Wizard and the Hopping Pot".

You can read the review here.

Hopefully we`ll see reviews of the other 3 unknown stories.

Percy wouldn`t recognise a joke if it danced naked in front of him wearing Dobby`s tea-cosy.
Old December 14th, 2007, 9:28 am
Knower of things

Re: More about the 7th Beedle the bard book

I like the look of that

I wonder if the tales of Beedle the Bard will be mass published at a later date. The handwritten books though are magnificent.

Old December 14th, 2007, 1:51 pm
Registered Animagus

Just wonderful. And thanks to Amazon, we at least get an inside look.

Old December 14th, 2007, 6:17 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I just looked at the pictures on amazon - they're amazing. I'd really like to read the tales, and I hope they eventually become available to the public.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References