Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Little Questions Answered v.20

Old August 25th, 2012, 2:28 am
Curse Breaker

Re: Little Questions Answered v.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimeldaDursley View Post
They were existing spells, and weren't always illegal.
Although, that means someone had to create them, and they'd have to be used first before they can be made illegal.

....I miss David Tennant....
Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2012, 2:35 am
The Potions Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post
Maybe it was ill-advised of me to say the same place as Voldemort. I just mean books in general. There is no reason for me to believe that Regulus had to learn about Horcruxes at school. For all we know, he may have been completely clueless about them until Kreacher told him about his mission for Voldemort. Hogwarts does not have a monopoly on books, and unlike Tom Riddle, Regulus had the whole magical world at his disposal from the time of his birth. I've no doubt that the information is out there, even if it is banned from Hogwarts' library.
I suppose it's possible Regulus found books on horcruxes elsewhere, but we're never told any others exist. His family had pure-blood mania, but were they considered Dark Wizards? I could see them leaning a bit that way, but I don't think the books ever come out and say that. As far as I can tell, there's only one book at Grimmauld Place that we are shown the title of: Nature’s Nobility: A Wizarding Genealogy. That doesn't seem a title of particular import.

It certainly would be interesting to find out how Regulus learned of horcruxes. Maybe on Pottermore, eventually.

Quote:
Yeah, I don't think anyone's suggesting that the books would be illegal in the wider wizarding world. If so, it wouldn't have taken Dumbledore to ban them from Hogwarts.
I suspect the Hogwarts was the best library around and I don't think it would be unreasonable to find one-of-a-kind books there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge View Post
Is it possible that the books could have been bought at Knockturn Alley? Or perhaps Snape lent a book or two to Regulus? Snape was a DE, just like Regulus, and we read that he had lots of books at his home in Spinner's End.
Snape does not seem to know about horcruxes and he was supposedly up to his eyes in the Dark Arts. Although Snape didn't have a family possibly practicing the Dark Arts (as far as we know), if he didn't know what a horcrux was, it would seem that knowledge was a bit obscure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSonic View Post
And if Horcruxs were actually illegal, then all books on them would've been destroyed long ago. That they were in the Hogwarts library at all means they AREN'T illegal and just are looked down upon.
Not necessarily. History has shown us many attempts at purging ideas from a culture by destroying books, but many such efforts have not been successful (though some have) and one or two of the offending texts survive--and they tend to end up in special book collections at libraries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
I think it would make sense for Horcruxes to be illegal. However, I don't think it necessarily follows that all books on them would be destroyed. Perhaps the ones detailing how Horcruxes are made would be (or should have been ) closely watched by the Ministry, but it would be very difficult to gag that many academics on such an interesting subject. Plus, it seems to me to be a necessary subject when studying the soul.
I would think just the nature of the book would make it rare. Wizards who want such power, would not want any one else to obtain it.

Quote:
I would also add that the AK is hardly the worst sort of spell that can be used on someone, and yet there are many books on all sorts of Dark magics still available.
And why aren't memory charms illegal? They seem to be at least as bad as being Imperioused.

Mugglenet.com Editorial: The Flaw in the Plan
Potion notes: noxspell.org

NoxSpell7790 on Pottermore and still Slytherin!
Ebony, Phoenix Feather, 11-3/4" . . . Unyielding

Old August 25th, 2012, 2:57 am
Sixth Year

Memory charms have to be legal to maintain the Statute of Secrecy, so they have something they can use on Muggles who learn the truth. Stuff like that.

Old August 28th, 2012, 5:01 am
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrormere View Post
I suppose it's possible Regulus found books on horcruxes elsewhere, but we're never told any others exist.
When has that ever stopped us? \

Quote:
I suspect the Hogwarts was the best library around and I don't think it would be unreasonable to find one-of-a-kind books there.
I can't imagine that a society would work where unique written resources are only available to school-children and their teachers year-round. This isn't like a university, where libraries are typically the best around, and sometimes contain the only copy of certain books- in that case, the people in the world most interested in reading those books attend the university, or otherwise will gain access. It doesn't seem to me as though the top researchers in the magical world are the ones teaching at Hogwarts; they seem to be there primarily to teach. The only example of any sort of researcher into magic that we hear tell of is Mrs. Lovegood.

Quote:
His family had pure-blood mania, but were they considered Dark Wizards? I could see them leaning a bit that way, but I don't think the books ever come out and say that. As far as I can tell, there's only one book at Grimmauld Place that we are shown the title of: Nature’s Nobility: A Wizarding Genealogy. That doesn't seem a title of particular import.
I would say that the line is pretty grey and blurry. As Sirius says, the world isn't split into good people and death eaters. They supported their son through joining the Death Eater- perhaps even encouraged him- and as such how could we not consider their motives to be dark? They certainly were OK with the 'improvement' of the magical race through murder.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old August 28th, 2012, 8:55 am
The Potions Master

Quote:
When has that ever stopped us? \
Don't know what I was thinking!

Quote:
I can't imagine that a society would work where unique written resources are only available to school-children and their teachers year-round.
Society worked for thousands of years without access to unique written resources; [edited to spare the historians among us grief]. The Wizarding World was notorious for being somewhat behind the times.

Quote:
This isn't like a university, where libraries are typically the best around, and sometimes contain the only copy of certain books-
Sure it is! Is any other library mentioned anywhere else in the books? Is any institute of higher learning ever mentioned? Nope. In OotP, the students have tons of pamphlets to go through outlining careers they can select after graduation, none of which refer to what we would consider 'college'. Seems more like an apprenticeship. Hogwarts is it.

Quote:
- in that case, the people in the world most interested in reading those books attend the university, or otherwise will gain access.
If any one was interested in research, I'm sure access could have been arranged through DD.

Quote:
It doesn't seem to me as though the top researchers in the magical world are the ones teaching at Hogwarts; they seem to be there primarily to teach.
DD was the top researcher in the wizarding world (12 uses for dragon's blood, etc.) I'm sure his partner, Nicholas Flamel, could have arranged access to the Hogwarts library. Snape was making up his own spells and tweaking potions at least by fifth year, there is no reason to believe he just suddenly stopped doing so.

Quote:
The only example of any sort of researcher into magic that we hear tell of is Mrs. Lovegood.
The three I mentioned above were researchers, two of which worked at Hogwarts. And look what happened to Lovegood-I think most wizards avoided research because it tended to be dangerous.

Quote:
I would say that the line is pretty grey and blurry. As Sirius says, the world isn't split into good people and death eaters. They supported their son through joining the Death Eater- perhaps even encouraged him- and as such how could we not consider their motives to be dark? They certainly were OK with the 'improvement' of the magical race through murder.
I agree the line is blurry; but I just don't think they had books on horcruxes.

Last edited by mirrormere; August 28th, 2012 at 3:03 pm.
Old August 28th, 2012, 10:29 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

I don't think Regulus could have found a book in the Hogwarts library on Horcruxes, being as Dumbledore removed them all from the Hogwarts library.

DH,The Ghoul in Pyjamas'I didn't think there were any books on Horcruxes in the library?'
'There weren't,' said Hermione, who had turned pink, 'Dumbledore removed them all, but he didn't destroy them.'

In HBP, the only reference to Horcruxes that Hermione could find in the library, was in the restricted section in a book called,Magick Moste Evile.

According to Slughorn they weren't in the library even when Tom Riddle was at school.

HBP,Horcruxes'I came across the term whils reading and didn't fully understand it.'
'No...well...you'd be hard-pushed to find a book at Hogwarts that'll give you details on Horcruxes,Tom. That's very Dark stuff, very Dark indeed,'said Slughorn.

So I don't think Regulus got his information from the Hogwarts library. My guess is that he either got it from; (a)Grimmauld Place. The Blacks seemed to have some dubious objects in the house so why not books? There may have been many things in that house that were collected over generations of Blacks. Or, (b)Knockturn Alley.

Old August 28th, 2012, 2:19 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:

Society worked for thousands of years without access to unique written resources; it was called the Dark Ages. The Wizarding World was notorious for being somewhat behind the times.
ARGH! As a history student, I really dislike the use of the term "Dark Ages". It's simply "Medieval Ages" and they didn't last for thousands of years either, and there were plenty of written resources back then. The Church's power came partially from being the place where most reading and writing was taught and most literary texts contained! Modern Universities are descended from those old Theological Institutes.

Old August 28th, 2012, 3:34 pm
The Potions Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacleTartlet View Post
I don't think Regulus could have found a book in the Hogwarts library on Horcruxes, being as Dumbledore removed them all from the Hogwarts library.

DH,The Ghoul in Pyjamas'I didn't think there were any books on Horcruxes in the library?'
'There weren't,' said Hermione, who had turned pink, 'Dumbledore removed them all, but he didn't destroy them.'
Hermione also says:
DH: The Ghoul in Pajamas“This is the one that gives explicit instructions on how to make a Horcrux. Secrets of the Darkest Art — it’s a horrible book, really awful, full of evil magic. I wonder when Dumbledore removed it from the library. . . . If he didn’t do it until he was headmaster, I bet Voldemort got all the instruction he needed from here.”
So I suspect Riddle had access to the Hogwarts books dealing with horcruxes but that Regulus did not.

Quote:
According to Slughorn they weren't in the library even when Tom Riddle was at school.
HBP,Horcruxes'I came across the term whils reading and didn't fully understand it.'
'No...well...you'd be hard-pushed to find a book at Hogwarts that'll give you details on Horcruxes,Tom. That's very Dark stuff, very Dark indeed,'said Slughorn.
I'm thinking "hard-pushed" may not mean impossible. Hermione seems to believe that is where Riddle obtained his knowledge of horcruxes.

Quote:
So I don't think Regulus got his information from the Hogwarts library. My guess is that he either got it from; (a)Grimmauld Place. The Blacks seemed to have some dubious objects in the house so why not books? There may have been many things in that house that were collected over generations of Blacks.
The Blacks didn't seem to have an abundant supply of books. When Grimmauld place was cleaned up for use by the Order, no such books were commented upon. That doesn't mean there couldn't be, I just think it unlikely.

Quote:
Or, (b)Knockturn Alley.
That's a possibility. Are we ever shown a bookstore in Knockturn Alley? I don't recall one. Though Borgin and Burkes may have had a few books on Dark Magic for sale. (Why weren't they ever raided by the Ministry, btw?)

As far as we are shown, only three people knew anything about horcruxes: Dumbledore, Riddle and Slughorn. I think Dumbledore is out. I suspect Riddle would not tell Regulus what the locket really was, wanting to keep the secret to himself. That leaves Slughorn.

So there are two possible sources up to this point, I think: a horcrux text or Slughorn. I hope someday Pottermore adds to that particular piece of backstory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSonic View Post
ARGH! As a history student, I really dislike the use of the term "Dark Ages". It's simply "Medieval Ages" and they didn't last for thousands of years either, and there were plenty of written resources back then. The Church's power came partially from being the place where most reading and writing was taught and most literary texts contained! Modern Universities are descended from those old Theological Institutes.
I have edited the offensive remark.

The fact remains that society puttered along for thousands of years without extensive contact with books. Most were rare and very few copies were made until Gutenberg arrived with his printing press (about 1450? I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong). General access to knowledge through books is a relatively modern privilege.

Last edited by mirrormere; August 28th, 2012 at 3:38 pm.
Old August 28th, 2012, 4:03 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
I can't imagine that a society would work where unique written resources are only available to school-children and their teachers year-round. This isn't like a university, where libraries are typically the best around, and sometimes contain the only copy of certain books- in that case, the people in the world most interested in reading those books attend the university, or otherwise will gain access. It doesn't seem to me as though the top researchers in the magical world are the ones teaching at Hogwarts; they seem to be there primarily to teach.
I somewhat agree with this, Hogwarts seems to be, primarily, a place for secondary-ish level magical education, not higher level learning or research or even primary level learning; students who come to Hogwarts are expected to know things like how to read and write and basic arithmatic before they come to Hogwarts but there is no evidence in the books that there are any wizarding primary schools or kindergartens teaching these kinds of skills.

And while I do also somewhat agree with Mirrormere's comments about Dumbledore and Snape being sort of, kind of "researchers" it doesn't seem that they, at least Snape, does a whole lot of "research" during his time at Hogwarts (more of this below).

Quote:
I think the inferences given to readers in the books is meant to make us think that the Blacks were leaning more toward the dark side. They had some dubious artifacts in their house, they seemed overly interested in their geneology which, in the wizarding world, is a trait only really exhibited by dark wizards as a way to prove their purity and superiority, they encouraged their son when they saw that he began supporting Voldemort and they seemed to ostracize their son who rebelled against their stodgy, pureblood ways.

What I find kind of interesting is the idea that Regulus might not have believed all the pureblood stuff his family did but felt that it was necessary to go along with those ideals because he wanted to please them or didn't want to suffer the ostracism that Sirius did for speaking out against the family. Some people aren't as strong willed as others and do just go along with what other people want or expect of them in order to not make waves or as a coping mechanism for being overshadowed by a more strong willed sibling. Perhaps that's a contributing factor in what was going on with Regulus. As he grew up and matured he then realized that he didn't want to partake in the murder of innocent people so he secretly developed his own plan in order to protect the family he still loved though didn't agree with.

Possibly.

Quote:
Society worked for thousands of years without access to unique written resources; [edited to spare the historians among us grief]. The Wizarding World was notorious for being somewhat behind the times.
The wizarding world seemed behind the times because we were seeing the book from the point of view of a boy who was raised by muggles and knew the differences between the worlds and pointed them out to the readers. I imagine that had the story been told through the point of view of a pureblood or wizard-raised character we'd have a completely different view on whether wizards are 'behind the times.'

I interpret the wizarding world in a steampunk kind of way: the world doesn't stop advancing in terms of technology but it does remain kind of stuck in a more Victorian era as far as society goes. Except in the wizarding world it society and fashions and things do continue to progress, just more slowly than the muggle world. That doesn't mean that their technology or their academics or their scientific contributions advance more slowly as well, though.

Quote:
Sure it is! Is any other library mentioned anywhere else in the books? Is any institute of higher learning ever mentioned? Nope. In OotP, the students have tons of pamphlets to go through outlining careers they can select after graduation, none of which refer to what we would consider 'college'. Seems more like an apprenticeship. Hogwarts is it.
I think there is a strong implication that there are schools of higher learning throughout Wizarding Britain. For instance, aurors must go through a training program that would require additional and more advanced training in the dark arts, specifically, as well as, probably, other areas of magic like potions (for dealing with poisons) or transfiguration/charms (for dealing with spells cast on or at them). They likely also get a crash course in wizarding first aid so they can deal with injuries. I certainly don't think you learn everything you need to know about becoming a healer at Hogwarts; there is probably some institution akin to a medical school where you go to recieve advanced medical training. It's not like you graduate Hogwarts and the next day you can practice on patients. I can imagine a wizarding law school where you go to learn the finer points of wizarding law (despite no evidence in the books that Harry would have been given a lawyer in OOTP [Dumbledore was his representation and just barely made it there in time] and Sirius was imprisoned without a trial so we never find out if he would have been given a lawyer or not)

I don't think that just because those advanced school weren't mentioned in the books that they absolutely didn't exist.

Quote:
If any one was interested in research, I'm sure access could have been arranged through DD.
I kind of like the idea that there was a whole society of advanced researchers who lived in Hogsmeade and commuted to Hogwarts to do their research. Perhaps some of these people taught N.E.W.T. level classes in 7th year? We never see what seventh year is like, perhaps the classes got more specialized in that year? Perhaps there was a whole slew of other teachers who taught N.E.W.T. level classes and the reason we never heard about them is because Harry only does the minimum (academically) to get by and had fairly conventional aspirations in his career choice.

Quote:
DD was the top researcher in the wizarding world (12 uses for dragon's blood, etc.) I'm sure his partner, Nicholas Flamel, could have arranged access to the Hogwarts library. Snape was making up his own spells and tweaking potions at least by fifth year, there is no reason to believe he just suddenly stopped doing so.
I would agree that there's no reason to think that Snape simply stopped experimenting. My only caveat to this is that, as discussed in the 1000s of student at Hogwarts thread regarding teachers time tables and the sheer amount of time gobbled up by teaching lessons and grade homework, I don't think Snape would have had the time to continue any 'research' he was engaged in once he became a professor.

Quote:
The three I mentioned above were researchers, two of which worked at Hogwarts. And look what happened to Lovegood-I think most wizards avoided research because it tended to be dangerous.
Perhaps you don't consider them "researchers" but Ollivander and Gregorovich seemed to devote a lot of time toward researching wandlore and understanding their craft, something was certainly wasn't taught at Hogwarts. And Xeno Lovegood spent a lot of his own time researching the history of the Elder Wand and seemed to know a small circle of people who were also engaged in a similar search.

"Research" needn't be experimental magic such as what Mrs. Lovegood engaged in, it could be as simple as researching wandlore or history.

Old August 28th, 2012, 6:07 pm
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
"Research" needn't be experimental magic such as what Mrs. Lovegood engaged in, it could be as simple as researching wandlore or history.
And as such, we might as well add Bathilda Bagshot to the list.

Quote:
I don't think so. Auror training, which is clearly a training and certification process based on Tonks' testimony, would need to take place somewhere. Similarly, Hermione would need somewhere to study magical law, and that also seems to point back to the Ministry. And we have neglected to mention perhaps the deepest magical research which exists- in the Department of Mysteries. I would be surprised if the Ministry itself does not have a library, either on location or somewhere else, and it would certainly surprise me if it was poorly stocked in comparison to Hogwarts'.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old August 28th, 2012, 6:34 pm
Sixth Year

Yeah, most likely the better library is at the Ministry. Of course there the books and records would be guarded so if there were anything on Horcruxs there you'd need special clearance or infiltration to get access to them.

Old August 29th, 2012, 10:35 pm
Sixth Year

I would assume that there were multiple places with a well stocked library. Other countries would have libraries as well so I don't think you could really prevent access to something if someone really wanted it.

Old August 30th, 2012, 11:29 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I am wondering if Snape didn't know about Horcruxes or if he just didn't know why Harry and Dumbledore spent so much time together.
I guess we might know someday, maybe thru Pottermore.

Old August 31st, 2012, 8:02 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge View Post
I am wondering if Snape didn't know about Horcruxes or if he just didn't know why Harry and Dumbledore spent so much time together.
I guess we might know someday, maybe thru Pottermore.
He must have known something was up. Surely he would have been curious about why Voldemort's appearance had changed so drastically. As he was reputed to be such an expert in the Dark Arts it would seem likely for him to know about horcruxes.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old August 31st, 2012, 3:13 pm
Seventh Year

Question:

During DH when the trio was camping, why didn't the trio just shop for food at grocery stores all the time? Hermione appeared to have money to buy it as she would shop and then drop the money in the till when she was under the cloak. They had the invisibility cloak so they couldn't be seen shopping and get themselves caught. My only rationale for this was not wanting to blow all their money on food, but then again, what better thing to blow your money on? It's not like they were spending that money on anything else.

And why didn't they buy food for longer periods of time? I always got the impression reading that briefly mentioned passage that Hermione was only buying enough food for a couple days at most.

And why weren't they buying food, storing it in their tent and then increasing the amount based on the food that they had stored? The first exception to Gamp's Law of Elemental Transfiguration is that you can't create food out of thin air, but, as Hermione says, "You can summon it if you know where it is, you can transform it, you can increase the quantity if you’ve already got some..." They already had food if they had gone shopping. Why was food always an issue if they could shop for the base quantity and then magically increase the amount of food they had? All they would have to do, for instance, is store one apple and when any of them wanted an apple they could "increase the quantity," leave the one apple and eat the others.

Am I missing something here?

Old September 1st, 2012, 12:24 am
Third Year

That's a darned good question, Goddess Clio! You would think Hermione could have done it if anyone could, but maybe it wasn't her strong suit? Maybe it's an extremely tricky spell that one has to have a special talent at--or at least a lot of practice at--to make any practical increase (perhaps Molly, or a Transfiguration expert like McGonagall)? Still it would have been nice to have seen it addressed.

Old September 1st, 2012, 12:50 am
First Year

Well, story-wise it makes good reading to point up to the reader how desperate their situation is.

However, hm, how about.... well, maybe Hermione was so worried about trying to survive the Death Eaters that she didn't think of amenities. It would also prove awkward to move a large amount of cargo around, so they couldn't really stockpile much at their camps without risking being noticed. Or possibly they were trying to keep the active use of magic to a minimum, so as to once again avoid detection.

― Roald Dahl
Old September 1st, 2012, 2:34 am
The Potions Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
And why weren't they buying food, storing it in their tent and then increasing the amount based on the food that they had stored? The first exception to Gamp's Law of Elemental Transfiguration is that you can't create food out of thin air, but, as Hermione says, "You can summon it if you know where it is, you can transform it, you can increase the quantity if you’ve already got some..." They already had food if they had gone shopping. Why was food always an issue if they could shop for the base quantity and then magically increase the amount of food they had? All they would have to do, for instance, is store one apple and when any of them wanted an apple they could "increase the quantity," leave the one apple and eat the others.

Am I missing something here?
I'm not sure we have enough information about Gamp's Law of Elemental Transfiguration nor any of it's exceptions to completely answer those questions. Perhaps once you "increases the quantity", can you do so again using the food that has been increased? I suspect not.

Food as an exception has always intrigued me. What is food? Technically, leaves are edible--why can't a pile of leaves be transformed into fish and chips?

Hermione also says "“Harry caught the fish and I did my best with it!" So perhaps she isn't very good at transforming food.

Old September 1st, 2012, 2:44 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
I'm not sure we have enough information about Gamp's Law of Elemental Transfiguration nor any of it's exceptions to completely answer those questions. Perhaps once you "increases the quantity", can you do so again using the food that has been increased? I suspect not.

Food as an exception has always intrigued me. What is food? Technically, leaves are edible--why can't a pile of leaves be transformed into fish and chips?

Hermione also says "“Harry caught the fish and I did my best with it!" So perhaps she isn't very good at transforming food.
I don't think it was that Hermione wasn't good at it; they often didn't have the things that would make food taste better, like seasonings. The fish would be just fish, they probably cooked it over a fire. Not like they had ingredients for sauces or sides either.

I think the problem with access to food is that staying close to villages/towns for a grocery store would be considerably more dangerous. Remote areas are safer. The group with Ted, Dean & Dirk & Gornuk were looking for food in the wild as well -- they summoned a salmon out of the river and cooked it over the fire on sticks.

About transfiguration....I'm not sure that it's possible to make a pile of leaves into fish & chips...at least so that they'd taste like fish & chips. They'd probably still taste like leaves, because that was the base ingredient.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old September 1st, 2012, 3:14 am
The Potions Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
I don't think it was that Hermione wasn't good at it; they often didn't have the things that would make food taste better, like seasonings. The fish would be just fish, they probably cooked it over a fire. Not like they had ingredients for sauces or sides either.
Aren't seasonings food? If you can transform food, can't part of it be transformed into spices and sauces?

Quote:
I think the problem with access to food is that staying close to villages/towns for a grocery store would be considerably more dangerous. Remote areas are safer.
Agreed.

Quote:
The group with Ted, Dean & Dirk & Gornuk were looking for food in the wild as well -- they summoned a salmon out of the river and cooked it over the fire on sticks.
They seemed to have better luck with it. Hermione says you can Summon food if you know where it is, but the salmon was Summoned when they didn't know for sure if there was any in the stream.

Quote:
About transfiguration....I'm not sure that it's possible to make a pile of leaves into fish & chips...at least so that they'd taste like fish & chips. They'd probably still taste like leaves, because that was the base ingredient.
Then I wonder what transform means?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References