Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial > The Underground Lake

Underground Lake #41: Attack of the Dueling Book Covers Again - The Redux

Old July 9th, 2007, 11:21 pm
MuggleNet Editorial

Underground Lake #41: Attack of the Dueling Book Covers Again - The Redux

This is to discuss Underground Lake #41: Attack of the Dueling Book Covers Again - The Redux by Brandon Ford.

Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:59 pm
First Year

Re: Underground Lake #41: Attack of the Dueling Book Covers Again - The Redux

I don't think that the castle on DH is Azkaban, as much I was would like to see it, if Harry were to go to Azkaban it would probably be important enough to put on the cover, the thing is, I was under the impression that Azkaban was in the Arctic, way out in the sea (http://www.accio-quote.org/themes/otherplaces.htm). By the look of the Bloomsbury cover it seems as if Hermione, Ron, and Harry are in Gringotts, could that be the castle shown on the U.S. cover?

Old July 10th, 2007, 12:33 am
First Year

i found that was a reallly good editiorial, i really like how he looked at every single book!!! anwayz what really interestes me the most out all bookcovers is the fact Vold. and harry are reaching out for something, and Harry looks ...kind of CALM? he isnt like scared, or worried, he seems to be fine, but look of maybe bit of suprise? i really dont understand, .... escpecially the fact they hav no wand??? its all soo confusing!!!! lol

Old July 10th, 2007, 1:41 am
First Year

About the symbol on the spine of the UK Deathly Hallows...
Did you take the last W.O.M.B.A.T. test?
At the room of requirement, you had to make that exact figure with a circle, a triangle and a line to access the test.

Kisses from Chile

Old July 10th, 2007, 2:53 am
First Year

I love your theories, and I have quite enjoyed reading through many of your Underground Lake editorials.

It is interesting to see how you were so spot on correct about DD's dying in HBP. I am anxious to see if any of your theories for DH prove to be true.

One thing -- please note that you are misspelling the word British a number of times. You're writing "Brittish." Just one "t." Not the worst mistake in the world, but if I were writing an editorial, I would want to know.

Old July 10th, 2007, 5:17 am
First Year

Interesting editorial, as usual!

Some obvservations I'd like to add:

1) Did you notice that both Harry and Voldemort are in the same brown robes? That implies some kind of "in the same boat" kind of thing to me. As you suggest, they do not look to me like they are fighting - perhaps in the world beyond the veil they find that they need to work together for some reason. (Although I'm sure there is still some interpersonal tension.)

2) The colosseum architecture is very classic. If this is the land beyond the veil, then a Greek/Roman feel would make a lot of sense, given how Orpheus, Theseus, Heracles, etc. seemed to like to take visits there a lot (excellent summer vacation spot). (BTW if Harry has to go rescue Ginny from there, and Ginny trips as they are leaving, I will be very annoyed at Harry if he has the stupidity to look behind. Orpheus is the only mythological character who really irks me.)

3) There is something about the snake in the orb on the British children's cover that looks a bit mobius-strip-like to me. The snake seems to change colors, and each time I look at it, it looks almost like it is two snakes merging into one, one light and one dark(the whole color thing confuses me in that picture). If it is two snakes merging into one, one light and one dark, then this is extremely meaningful. The "Tai Chi" symbol in Zen/Taoism is supposed to be two snakes biting the other's tail, one light and one dark (with a dark eye in the light snake, and a light eye in the dark snake, such that no cross-section of the image is either completely dark or completely light). This is a symbol of of the mixed interplay of death and rebirth, of higher nature and lower nature, etc. (Those who have read Michael Ende's "The Neverending Story" might remember that the symbol of the Auryn is described as this exact thing - two snakes biting each other's tail, one light and one dark, and the themes covered in the book are very relevant to life and death.) This is very relevant in that Harry and Voldemort are diametric opposites from a certain perspective, except that they do share some common traits, talents, and histories.

Of course if it really only is one snake, then this doesn't fly. It could just be funky full-moon lighting reflecting on a horcrux, a prophecy concerning Nagini, or a random drawing that isn't relevant to the story.

Old July 10th, 2007, 6:22 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Very interesting! I cant wait to get my hands on that book!

Elizebeth: Barbosa marry us.
(best movie scene ever!)

"

Will Turner: "It depends on the one day.
Old July 10th, 2007, 9:21 am
Second Year

Hi Brandon. I always love to hear your theories, but you sound as stumped as the rest of us are. LoL.
I think Bloomsbury said that it is Hogwarts on the back of the UK childrens cover, dont quote me on that. I didnt notice the significance of the full moon. I always hoped Lupin would get a chance to repay Fenrire for all those kids lives he's ruined. I hope Lupin lives, he deserves it just as much as Harry does.
I agree that Bloomsbury should have picked a single artist instead of several. The covers have been inconsistant and frankly boring. But DH is a huge departure from the mundanee confusion that is usually their covers. It's almost like a sensory overload.
The one lovley thing about Mary Grande Pre is that she tastefully interjects several key points to the story plot on a single cover. My favorite cover has always been the OotP becasue of its ominous feeling, not to mention the blue colors are just breath taking.

Last edited by kerri; July 10th, 2007 at 9:26 am.
Old July 10th, 2007, 10:12 am
First Year

The triangle symbol seems very important since it is on the cover and used to open the wombat. It could be a pyramid with an entrance shaft and the circle showing that it is hollow. As in every thing magic the inside is always bigger then the outside. This is not intended as a hollow hallow reference.LOL

Old July 10th, 2007, 12:51 pm
First Year

Alright, the symbol in the spine power position was the symbol that JKR had us make to take the WOMBAT 3. It means something crucial, it's not just there like the guy on the back of the first UK cover.

Old July 10th, 2007, 1:26 pm
First Year

I really think that that US cover for DH is definately behind the veil because of the curtains and the old looking stone archways. I also think the shadowy figures are all the people who have passed through the veil before.

Old July 10th, 2007, 1:49 pm
First Year

I noticed on the UK cover that Hermione's arms are also cut/bruised. It almost looks as if they are being sucked into the circle/archway...maybe behind the veil and being returned to the land of the living? I'm not sure of the armor...maybe this was gringotts that has a secret passage to Hogwarts. So many questions. I think Ron and Hermione's robes are from the wedding as they are fancier and more appropiate. Can't wait to read the book!

Old July 10th, 2007, 2:30 pm
Third Year

I took the treasure room of the UK version to be in relation to Hepzibah Smith's house or possibly even the Room of Requirement. Both have been described as heavily cluttered with antiques/artifacts and one could easily depict that as a room full of treasure (particularly in regard to Smith's house as we've seen in HBP that she was a treasure seeker).

Oh and the "creature's head" on the back of the US GoF edition is Rita Skeeter as a beetle.

Old July 10th, 2007, 3:22 pm
Curse Breaker

What is the animal on the bottom of the UK Children's version? It is located just to the right of the SKU and looks a bit like a cat or a terrier. You can even see a shadow under the cat / terrier and it looks as though it is running toward the open door.

Without a change in leadership, why would the next four years be any different from the last four years? - - Paul Ryan
Old July 10th, 2007, 4:07 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_mom View Post
What is the animal on the bottom of the UK Children's version? It is located just to the right of the SKU and looks a bit like a cat or a terrier. You can even see a shadow under the cat / terrier and it looks as though it is running toward the open door.
If we're thinking about the same thing, that's just the Bloomsbury symbol and is on every cover.
Great editorial, I had never even noticed the house elf on the UK copy. I now feel a bit stupid.
I always assumed that all the treasure was them searching for a horcrux, since we know that Voldy has used bits of jellwery to make them before. One thing that puzzles me is that Hermy and Ron both look terrified while Harry looks almost excited, it's like they desperately want to leave but he wants to stay for some reason and carry on with what they're doing.
Also, on the first UK copy of PS it was definitely Dumbledore on the back; he had the long white beard. but the newer copy, I don't know who that's supposed to be. Nor do I know why they changed it.

"Go tell the world I'm still around. I didn't fly, I'm coming down."
Old July 10th, 2007, 4:40 pm
First Year

I always thought that the strange-looking creature on the back of the GoF cover was supposed to be a blast-ended skrewt. It seems too large for a beetle, and it's not dragon-like at all.

On the back of the GoF artwork, I always thought that the strange looking creature was supposed to be a blast-ended skrewt. Doesn't that make the most sense? It's too big to be the Rita Skeeter beetle, and it's not dragon-like at all. The skrewt seemed to be the only remaining possibility.

Old July 10th, 2007, 5:40 pm
Winning Teamster

Just a few little comments: on the US GoF cover, the "head of a strange creature that could be the head of the dragon though it looks more like Dragonite from Pokemon, than a Hungarian Horntail" could be a Blast-Ended Skrewt. Also, the stairway on the UK GoF cover could represent the Yule Ball. Not that it really matters what these things are anyway.

Quote:
Everyone notice: Harry is still wearing the fake locket around his neck as a talisman. *Tear for Dumbledore.*
Who says this is the fake Horcrux?! There was never any mention of Harry wearing it, he just kept it in his pocket. I think this is the real Horcrux, perhaps after it has been destroyed, or maybe in the process of destroying it (?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cata_tonks
About the symbol on the spine of the UK Deathly Hallows...
Did you take the last W.O.M.B.A.T. test?
At the room of requirement, you had to make that exact figure with a circle, a triangle and a line to access the test.
You're so right!!! Then it's definitely something important. The number three seems to be very important to the series (with the Trio and all)...maybe that's the triangle? Or that symbol might have some historical significance.

They're changing guard at Buckingham Palace -
Christopher Robin went down with Alice.
We looked for the King but he never came.
"Well, God take care of him, all the same,"
Says Alice.

Old July 10th, 2007, 8:50 pm
First Year

I think the castle on the UK cover is definitely Hogwarts. I think it was the one place Voldemort felt at home and it is a stonghold of ancient magic. I think he would love to have it as the base of his empire.

I think the room with the veil (at the MOM) is featured on the US cover. I think the deathly hallows was what Harry heard wispering behind the veil that day in the MOM (in Book 5) and that's where he and V will have their final confrontation. Same on the UK front cover. Its definitely the Arch that featured.

Old July 10th, 2007, 9:11 pm
First Year

One thing I would like to add about the DH cover; it seems to me like Harry is reaching out for whatever they are looking at. Voldemort ,however seems to be blocking himself from it. Something about the positioning of their hands. It may be significant, maybe not.

Old July 10th, 2007, 9:47 pm
Second Year

Can't actually believe I'm doing this.

Re: Deathly hallows spine position.

I was reading one of Jorge Luis Borges essays today (Avatars of the Tortoise) and I quote

Nicholas of Cusa - who saw in the circumfrence of the circle a polygon with an infinite number of sides and wrote that an infinite line would be a straight line, a triangle, a circle and a sphere (De docta ignotantia (On learned Ignorance), I, 13)

Anyone think that sounds familiar? Maybe the spine position has three representations of an infinity. Or looked at in another way, immortality.

Good night. I'm never posting again.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial > The Underground Lake