Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Aberforth: Will he Make a Difference?

Old May 8th, 2007, 1:11 pm
First Year

Aberforth: Will he Make a Difference?

Will Dumbledore's brother play an important role in the forthcoming book? Although it has been said by Moody that he's a strange bloke and has none of Dumbledore's genius, but unexpected sure happen in JKR's books.

What's your opinion, guys?

Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2007, 8:42 pm
First Year

Re: Aberforth:Will he Make a Difference?

I think he will. He hasn't done anything important yet, and JKR doesn't usually add characters in her books for no reason, so I'm sure Aberforth will do something meaningful in DH.

Old May 8th, 2007, 9:05 pm
First Year

Maybe he will be able to provide more information about Dumbledore's past. Also, he might know why Voldemort fears him so much

Old May 9th, 2007, 12:16 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: Aberforth: Will he Make a Difference?

I remember reading somewhere as to the possiblity of Aberforth being the bar owner at the Hogs Head in Hogsmeade. When Harry walked in there for the first time he descibed the owner as looking vaguley familiar and then went on to give a description that seemed close to DD's.
So, if we assume this. Aberforth being that he owns the bar would have a lot of information on passing travelers and so on... Maybe he could help with information that Harry may need to find the Horecruxes...hmmm

Old May 9th, 2007, 1:59 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEWEASLEYS04 View Post
I remember reading somewhere as to the possiblity of Aberforth being the bar owner at the Hogs Head in Hogsmeade. When Harry walked in there for the first time he descibed the owner as looking vaguley familiar and then went on to give a description that seemed close to DD's.
So, if we assume this. Aberforth being that he owns the bar would have a lot of information on passing travelers and so on... Maybe he could help with information that Harry may need to find the Horecruxes...hmmm
He is, JKR confirmed it a while ago.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&i tem=170269184909

YOU'RE GOING TO END UP LIVING OFF A STEADY DIET OF GOVERNMENT IMPORTED CHEESE, AND LIVING IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!

Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.
Old May 9th, 2007, 2:04 am
First Year

Besides the point that JK's confirmed it (thanks Infinity!), JK doesn't mention much thats not in the plot at some point. Everything fits in the plot. So yeah, I bet he'll do something in DH.

Practice makes perfect.
But if nothings perfect...
Why Practice?
Old May 9th, 2007, 3:30 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
He is, JKR confirmed it a while ago.
Shows where I have been I thought I heard rumors of it, but thanks for letting me know that it truely was him!
The only thing that I don't understand is what could he help with? I mean one would think that DD would have asked him, before he died if he had any memories to contribute...right?

Old May 9th, 2007, 3:40 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEWEASLEYS04 View Post
Shows where I have been I thought I heard rumors of it, but thanks for letting me know that it truely was him!
The only thing that I don't understand is what could he help with? I mean one would think that DD would have asked him, before he died if he had any memories to contribute...right?
Who's to say that there aren't hundreds of vials of Aberforth memories in a cabinet in Dumbledore's office? Just because we haven't seen them yet doesn't mean they don't exist (like crumple-horned snorkacks! )

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Back to COS, the Forum that Lived
Old May 9th, 2007, 3:41 am
First Year

Aberforth is definately going to play a role in Deathly Hallows.
End of story. Goodbye. The end. Any questions? haha , Moody, just kidding

Anyways, I basically agree with everybody here.
Jo doesn't introduce people for no reason, why didn't she just make Dumbledore an only child? It wouldn't have made much difference, but no. Jo makes Dumbledore have a strange, perhaps illiterate, obsessed with goats lol, bar-owning, younger brother for a reason, and we're gonna find out what that reason is in Deathly Hallows.

"And the damage youíve done
And we will mend it
The world can still be beautiful
And we will defend, for we are friends
And friendship you canít kill!
" -Song for the Death Eaters, Harry and the Potters and the Power of Love

Wizardrock: my anti-drug

Old May 9th, 2007, 3:51 am
Third Year

I'm sure Aberforth will do something of importance in book 7, after all JK doesn't make characters for no reason.

It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo...The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end... Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why... Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something...there's some good in this world... and it's worth fighting for.
--Samwise the Brave

If you think nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door.

Better to keep your mouth shut and look like an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Old May 9th, 2007, 9:22 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbledoresocks View Post
Maybe he will be able to provide more information about Dumbledore's past. Also, he might know why Voldemort fears him so much
Yeah, that's a good theory...

13,467 people till now have gone to azkaban due to spoiling of the seventh book....

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old May 9th, 2007, 5:37 pm
First Year

Or perhaps he could assist Harry by teaching him what Dumbledore could not. Perhaps there are memories or other things Dumbledore sent to Aberforth?

Old May 9th, 2007, 5:41 pm
Fifth Year

I think he'll play a role. Perhaps he was the one JKR referring to about a member of the Order that we haven't fully seen yet and will play a role in Deathly Hallows. However, I don't think the role will be something major really important but I think he'll make a difference for sure.

Old May 9th, 2007, 6:16 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicianGirl View Post
I think he'll play a role. Perhaps he was the one JKR referring to about a member of the Order that we haven't fully seen yet and will play a role in Deathly Hallows. However, I don't think the role will be something major really important but I think he'll make a difference for sure.
I agree with you, except I think he will play a major roll, I think he will provide the trio with vital information.

Old May 9th, 2007, 7:11 pm
First Year

I'm not so sure he's in the order though.

Old May 9th, 2007, 7:18 pm
First Year

He was a part of the Order in the first war, and yhat suggests he's probably still a member, and also, being Dumledore's brother, he probably has a lot of information that other people don't, and he might be in the same league as Dumlbedore as well (I mean, intellectually etc.)..

It is likely to believe that Aberforth will play a role as "the new Dumbledore", since he's actually his brother (and even looks pretty much alike too), and that Harry will look upon him as a replacement for Dumbledore.
At least, I think Harry will see him like that.

I think Aberforth will be an important character, but I think he'll be slightly different from Dumbledore. Whereas Dumbledore is trusting, patient and calm, I think Aberforth will be more like the opposite really.
But for now, we don't have any clues of what Aberforth might do, or help with, other that JKR's statements that he will play a role in Deathly Hallows..

"Oh yeah, The Weird Sisters rocks!"

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!

Last edited by Wazlib; May 9th, 2007 at 7:20 pm.
Old May 10th, 2007, 3:12 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazlib View Post
He was a part of the Order in the first war, and yhat suggests he's probably still a member, and also, being Dumledore's brother, he probably has a lot of information that other people don't, and he might be in the same league as Dumlbedore as well (I mean, intellectually etc.)..

It is likely to believe that Aberforth will play a role as "the new Dumbledore", since he's actually his brother (and even looks pretty much alike too), and that Harry will look upon him as a replacement for Dumbledore.
At least, I think Harry will see him like that.

I think Aberforth will be an important character, but I think he'll be slightly different from Dumbledore. Whereas Dumbledore is trusting, patient and calm, I think Aberforth will be more like the opposite really.
But for now, we don't have any clues of what Aberforth might do, or help with, other that JKR's statements that he will play a role in Deathly Hallows..
I personally don't think that Harry will look to Aberforth as a subsitute for his brother. Albus gave the task of locating the horcrux to Harry and Harry alone (although we can probably assumed that the headmaster assumed that Ron and Hermione would follow their friend in his quest). Harry will take respondsiblity for this task and I don't think that he will ask for help from Aberforth.

However, as has been said by so many, JK as a general rule does not give as so much information that we don't need and she has comfirmed Aberforth's identity as the Hogs Head innkeeper and think that he will offer Harry help in some form that no one else can. How he will assist the trio is still unclear (71 days and counting until we know). Professor Dumbledore was self taught and is generally recongnised as one of the greatest wizards of his age and I don't think that his brother could have gotten by without having some aspects of brilliance of his own

One other small thing, has it been confirmed that Aberforth is younger than Albus, because I can not remember that, although I may be wrong and ith wouldn't be first time or the last.

I may be small but i have the pinky strength of a rock climbing jazz pianist

Last edited by Amdillae_Culmet; September 3rd, 2012 at 1:57 pm. Reason: typos
Old May 10th, 2007, 4:51 pm
Sixth Year

I think he will play a rather vital role in DH. Will he replace his brother? No, but he will help out the trio and the Order by providing useful information.

Prophecy 2007!

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.

Old May 11th, 2007, 6:42 am
Third Year

I think that he will be important because he's the overlooked Dumbledore. Which means people don't watch what they say or do around him, giving him knowledge of secrets and information. Every family has that one exocentric member who quite different from everyone else, Aberforth was the one in his just like Sirius was the one in his or Fred and George are in theirs. The last three are still extremely gifted wizards even perhaps because of their quarkeyness, whos to say this doesn't applie to Aberforth as well? So what if he's obsessed with goats? The bezoar comes from the stomach goats which is a shriveled, kidney like stone that protects from most posisons. The bezoar saves Ron's life and who knows how many others. Maybe there are other things you can take from a goat that might be very usefull

Old May 11th, 2007, 9:26 am
First Year

I hope Aberforth will have a decent role in book 7, as I've always been curious about him.
I'm guessing that after all the little clues about him in previous books, he should at least make an appearance.
He did grow up with Albus, after all. Probably he could know more about him than anyone else.
I'd also be curious to discover what it was he did to that goat.
Who knows, maybe the goat could end up being the main hero.

"You're a freaking idiot Ron," Harry replied.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies