Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Are we too old for Harry Potter?

Old December 25th, 2011, 9:23 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: Are we too old for Harry Potter?

Frankly, I don't understand the question . . .

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2011, 10:17 pm
First Year

In my humble opinion-----NO, we are not!

Hehehehe- at least I do not feel too old for it- yet.

JK just managed to write it in this way that everything becomes more of an intriguing puzzle than some little kid growing up. Themes do not revolve around romance (let´s just overlook certain parts of HBP!!) too much for anyone to get sick over it.
Yes, we do see Harry growing up, but it is all served in small portions, and that maturing never takes the front row either- allowing older readers to be amused by it, but not having to dwell too much on such parts.

And, of course, there is the very wide range of older characters who keep showing up, and who bring secrets so interesting and dark that we simply get sucked in.
Not to mention the number of subplots that our young trio does not fully get, with their young minds.

I like this guessing.
I like the older characters, and the constant exchange between them and the trio. I like the "adult" secrets, the moments of discovery and joy.

I just happen to like a lot of what JK did.

--------------

Not to forget that she managed to set all the locations up so perfectly that we feel right at home. She did that so damn well! Starting with a small delimited (??) place, and letting us get familiar with it first, the Dursleys home- then moving on to the interstation, Diagon Alley- only to bring us to our final destination- Hogwarts.

She does not make the mistake to start off with all kinds of ridiculous names, creatures or places that are yet too big for us. People tend togreatly understimate her skill in that departement alon!

Stay away from me....I´m mental most of the time (that´s when I´m not sleeping under a bridge)
Old December 27th, 2011, 10:52 pm
Second Year

[quote]This year I have a English teacher who was originally from London who has not read Harry Potter. I have tried to convince him to read them but he always says that he is too old to try them and that I am too old to still be obsessing over them. It drives me completely crazy. I even have several other Harry Potter obsessed friends in that class who have joined me but he still claims that HP is only a children's book. I really don't like this teacher!

Your teacher would flip about me! I am 67 and love Harry Potter, Crazy mostly about Snape. I don't think I'd understand your teacher at all. Seems he is a little over the top.

Old December 30th, 2011, 5:24 pm
First Year

Not everyone likes the same things. Even us hp fans don't like the same things. We do however, enjoy the books and movies, some like one over the other. This is what makes us "us". The too young or too old persona depends on who is asked. Depends on maturity level, behaviors and habits. IMO we are not immature but, love a good adventure and suspenseful stories constructed with new ideas.
I am very pleased to be able to share these thoughts with you all in the "verse". We are all one year older and still love "the boy who lived", hoping to see more.

I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours...

RAVENCLAW

Old March 9th, 2015, 7:16 am
First Year

You are only as old as you feel...remember that.

It has ended and I am sad...
Animus Entero
Old December 12th, 2015, 8:14 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Of course aren't we too old to read. Even if it's a book aimed at a younger audience, it still has educational value*. Just because it's about a fictional story and written in simpler words, doesn't mean that adults can't learn from it and enjoy it.

It's also a good way for non native speakers to read more English books. The HP books were the first books I've read in English (I started as an adult) and now I hardly read any German books. I also recommend the books to aduls who want to improve their English.

The End of the Dream.
Old December 19th, 2015, 11:30 pm
Second Year

I'm far to old to read Harry Potter. In three weeks time, I'll be 69 and I'll celebrate by re-reading Philosopher's Stone.

I read a lot of so-called children's literature. Should I seek help?

Old January 5th, 2016, 10:49 pm
Knower of things

nope not at all - you're in good company Selmo! Ive enjoyed a lot of children/ten literature. It tickles the imagination very well!

Old January 7th, 2016, 6:44 pm
Second Year

Never too old... I'm almost 44

Old January 7th, 2016, 10:04 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selmo View Post
I read a lot of so-called children's literature. Should I seek help?
I find it to be more fun than most so-called Adult fiction. I enjoy it very much. I also find reading it ,helps me to connect with and better understand my young nieces and nephews better .

You're NEVER Too old to read a good story even if it is labeled as children literature .

As for Harry Potter if we were too old we would never have come to CoS.

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old January 7th, 2016, 10:58 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsrule26 View Post
I find it to be more fun than most so-called Adult fiction. I enjoy it very much. I also find reading it ,helps me to connect with and better understand my young nieces and nephews better .

You're NEVER Too old to read a good story even if it is labeled as children literature .

As for Harry Potter if we were too old we would never have come to CoS.
Exactly . I still read young adult novels along with adult fiction. More so... since a lot of the adult stuff seems overrated some how.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

Looking forward to seeing Mulder and Scully again in the new X Files episodes!

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!
Old April 22nd, 2016, 12:53 pm
First Year

My Great Aunt always said that having nieces/nephews was a great excuse to stand around reading in the childrens' section. I wholly agree. I also enjoy reading some old favorites to young folks I babysit. (Please do not give "hello Kitty" books to children. Those excuses for books will corrode their brains!) I don't think I'll ever tire of imagining myself in Molly's kitchen, or attending Hogwarts.

Perhaps authors (real ones, not soulless promoters of copyright toy characters) have to work a bit harder on good stories and characters for Young Adult books, since they can't just rely on prurient content.
Speaking of YA literature, the hubbie of a colleague just wrote this. I liked it:

Young Adult novel (for teens) called the Serpent King was released on March 8. The Serpent King https://www.amazon.com/dp/055352402X..._C2.exb5AAYF7F
A sample of the book if you want to read a part of it to see what you think! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZNE17D2/

Oh, BTW. I guess most of you know that JRR Tolkien had to argue with his publisher to get Hobbit not published as childrens' fiction? As soon as they saw "elves" they just knew Hobbit was a kids' book. Can you imagine most young'uns slogging through the complexities of LOTR? I keep having to look names up in Silmarillion just to stay on the right track! So I summarize: Age is a state of mind, and "young adult" is a suggestion.

"We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out." Ray Bradbury

Last edited by TWZRD; April 22nd, 2016 at 1:02 pm.
Old April 27th, 2016, 10:38 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Nope, I wouldn't say that. I read the first book at the age of 18. I thought I was too old then, but it was recommended to me by the librarian of my local library back then. She convinced me to give the series a chance (only the first four were out at the time) by telling me that people in retirement homes even read this series.

Old May 8th, 2016, 8:39 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
Nope, I wouldn't say that. I read the first book at the age of 18. I thought I was too old then, but it was recommended to me by the librarian of my local library back then. She convinced me to give the series a chance (only the first four were out at the time) by telling me that people in retirement homes even read this series.
I agree. I was a lot older, buying GOF for my nephew. My favorite independent bookstore set one aside for me, and they actually recommended that they thought I'd like it. When I brought it to my nephew he spent 10 minutes trying to explain the gist, especially who Voldemort is. He was so taken up with it that I decided to read the series so I could discuss it with him, and I was hooked immediately. JKR is a great story teller, clever and funny, there's no age limit on that.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old May 19th, 2016, 10:32 pm
Zonko's Employee

One is never too old for Harry Potter. What's the point in living if you have to give up fantasy?

Last edited by Pegasus; June 27th, 2016 at 11:24 pm.
Old May 30th, 2016, 9:13 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
One is never too old for Harry Potter. Wants the point in living if you have to give up fantasy?
Definitely. Life is way too short. Enjoy reading whatever books you like.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

Looking forward to seeing Mulder and Scully again in the new X Files episodes!

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!
Old November 29th, 2016, 2:16 am
First Year

I was part of the Harry Potter Generation. The kids that grew up with Harry and his friends, as the books were released. I'm now almost thirty and I will always cherish that feeling of anticipation and excitement I experienced lining up and collecting each new book as it was published. I will be re-reading these books until the day I die. I can guarantee that. No one is ever too old to have that kind of magic in their life. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

Old November 29th, 2017, 3:08 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Keeper View Post
I was part of the Harry Potter Generation. The kids that grew up with Harry and his friends, as the books were released. I'm now almost thirty and I will always cherish that feeling of anticipation and excitement I experienced lining up and collecting each new book as it was published. I will be re-reading these books until the day I die. I can guarantee that. No one is ever too old to have that kind of magic in their life. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

I am much older than you Sir. I strongly concur with your quote! I have a sense of adventure when I read the books or watch the movies. I am still searching for a copy of the movies the tv stations show with all the extra parts put back into regular rotation. I have the extended version of SS and COS I do own, but the others I have not found.

I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours...

RAVENCLAW

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak