Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

HBP Movie: Scenes that should/could have been in or excluded

Old July 15th, 2009, 11:20 am
Third Year

Re: HBP Movie: Scenes that should/could have been included

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th_Wonder View Post
I wish we could of seen the Gaunts also.
What are they going to do when in DH, Harry explains that there is a symbol on the ring that he saw Marvolo brandishing, when they did not show the memory in HBP at all?

Old July 15th, 2009, 11:39 am
Sixth Year

and the cup from Hepzibah? never mentioned. again, threads that should have been included but weren't. DD gave Harry quite a bit to go on in the book but here we have nothing. guess Hermione will be the brains since they took them away from DD

It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Homer Simpson

Proud member of: The Lyceum, the LDA, Moonies Loonies, Knights of the Order of St. Biclavret, Cod Squad, Big Squishy Hugs for Lupin, There will be NO death by Poking Society.
Old July 15th, 2009, 12:23 pm
Sixth Year

Overall, I loved the movie. I have no major complaints.

The only thing I wish was included that was not was the "I am not worried, Harry. I am with you." That was my favorite quote of the book, so I admit I'm kinda disappointed it wasn't in there.

I also missed the "Dumbledore's man through and through" stuff.

I would have liked to see the Gaunts, but I can understand why it was cut and honestly wasn't expecting them to make it in.

And I would have liked to see Hermione come up with the explanation as to where Snape got the name "Half-Blood Prince" from, but I've gotten used to explanations being cut in general.

Can't think of anything else....

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopherís Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
Old July 15th, 2009, 3:10 pm
First Year

I wanted to see the return of Firenze, and yes I think the Gaunts would have been an AMAZING addition.

"Im tall", said Ron unconsequentially
Old July 15th, 2009, 3:23 pm
First Year

I was disappointed with how little the actual "Half-Blood Prince Potions book" was relevant in the movie. We had the Potions class scene, and Sectusempra. =/

I agree with most people, Dumbledore's quote would've been a nice addition.

They're going to have trouble explaining some of the finer yet important details about Voldemorts horcruxes in DH that were left out in this one.

Other than that, can't really think of any other scenes I'd care about being in the movie.

Old July 15th, 2009, 4:34 pm
First Year

i'd have lked a detention scene, i know it's wierd - but to have harry staring out at eeryone going to the final quidditch match, then going to the dungeons and having to hear one of snape's evil mutterings (alan rickman does this very well) would be great! it would make it seem like school was still going on because a lot of the film was really quiet and lonely!

Or a DADA class with Snape would be funny to keep some of the normality of hogwarts. harry doesn't have many lessons in these films anymore, and he won't do after this

Old July 15th, 2009, 4:47 pm
Animaga terpsichore

I wish the funeral could have been added in, but the finding of Dumbledore's body was enough, and it was hard to watch.

Keep On Dancing Til The World Ends
Old July 15th, 2009, 4:58 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchristen03 View Post
What are they going to do when in DH, Harry explains that there is a symbol on the ring that he saw Marvolo brandishing, when they did not show the memory in HBP at all?
Yeah, they have quite a bit of explaining to do in DH.

Old memories seldom fade
And bad habits die hard...
Old July 15th, 2009, 5:12 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Like many others mentioned, I wish they included a funeral of some sort. Honestly, I didn't like how everyone just pointed their wands upward. IMO, it seemed kind of cheesy.

I would have also liked a longer fight scene between Harry and Snape at the end.

And why couldn't Dumbledore have briefly mentioned something about Voldemort being obsessed with the founders' relics? Unless they include more information about what horcruxes could be in Dumbledore's will or something like that in the first DH movie.

Overall, I really liked the movie, it's just the ending seemed too short.

Old July 15th, 2009, 5:14 pm
First Year

i haven't seen the movie yet but im dying to know if one of my favorite scenes were in it- when Bill gets bit by Greyback and Tonks admits her love for Remus. i always thought that was a very jaw dropping scene in the book because i never expected it. please tell me its in the movie- im dying to know!!!!!!

Old July 15th, 2009, 5:15 pm
First Year

tonks and lupin are already together in the 6th film! it's wierd! she doesn't look like tonks at all with her brown hair so she just looks like his random tag-along wife!

Old July 15th, 2009, 5:26 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ravenclaw3 View Post
i haven't seen the movie yet but im dying to know if one of my favorite scenes were in it- when Bill gets bit by Greyback and Tonks admits her love for Remus. i always thought that was a very jaw dropping scene in the book because i never expected it. please tell me its in the movie- im dying to know!!!!!!
Bill wasn't in the movie at all.

Old July 15th, 2009, 5:27 pm
First Year

New to the forums here, hopefully i'm down with the lingo and such.

I did enjoy the movie overall, but a few things bothered me.

1. No Gaunt chapter. Not only was this a crucially important chapter for setting up things in DH, but it was also something that needed to be included just to explain more about Voldemort. But hey lets include the scene where the Burrow is destroyed..o wait.. THAT NEVER HAPPENED!

2. The absence of a horcrux explanation was poorly done, also there is nothing that discusses Voldemort's obsession with famous magical items, which leads to Harry being able to figure out what the remaining Horcruxes are.

3. AGAIN, Dobby is left out. Harry had him tailing Malfoy in the book. Due to the lack of Dobby through the first 6 movies, his inevitable death will already be lacking due to the lack of character development throughout, showing his devotion to Harry. I really hope they give the Dobby funeral scene the justice it deserves.

4. Fawkes dies... he doesnt fly away... come on now.

5. I may very well be mistaken on this one, but don't the 3 find out what Dumbledore left them at the end of HBP, or is that the beginning of DH?

6. The Dumbledore funeral scene should have been included. The way it was depicted in the book was so beautiful, with all the magical creatures, it would have been a wonderous way to say goodbye, not the wand salute (which was ok. but still not what it should have been)

7. The ending dialogue between Harry and Hermione was poor. I believe in the book Hermione fights Harry tooth and nail saying that she and Ron will accompany him next year, in the movie it kind of just goes on. I think that particular scene was not conveyed right, and Radcliffe was a bit weak there.

8. Isn't there a big scene between Harry and Ginny where he breaks it off with her because he doesn't want to be close to anyone for fear of their fate? Was that DH?

9. I would have liked a slight bit more of Tonks/Lupin. Sort of begin to build up to their fate, make it more powerful in the end.

I'm sure there are some things that I may have misinterpreted etc, but again while I did enjoy the movie, there were just some scenes that really bothered me.

I feel that with the PG rating, the movie tries to tailor to the younger children, as well as the parents, while also trying to include the dark overtones that the general readership expects. It sort of danced all over the place.

One thing is for certain, there are a TON of crucial moments that MUST NOT be left out of the DH movies. With 2 movies though, I assume they will really try to include as much as possible.

Just my thoughts... certainly welcome any ideas anyone else has.

Old July 15th, 2009, 5:31 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

I agree with those that mentioned Harry should have been given some sort of punishment or reprimand for what he did to Draco, but it isn't even remotely mentioned. Even the scene about hiding the book doesn't quite make sense, unless it's just because the group feels it's too dangerous to have around. I guess that works, but if they had made it about hiding it because it would get Harry in further trouble that would have worked better. Something to show that Harry wasn't getting off without any consequence for almost killing a student.

And yes, a line about the founder's objects would have been good, but I think they will find a way to deal with that in DH.

Old July 15th, 2009, 5:31 pm
First Year

Quote:
tonks and lupin are already together in the 6th film! it's wierd! she doesn't look like tonks at all with her brown hair so she just looks like his random tag-along wife!
Quote:
Bill wasn't in the movie at all.
thanks for the info, a bit of a let down, but at least they included Tonks and Lupin

Old July 15th, 2009, 5:36 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapegirl View Post
Like many others mentioned, I wish they included a funeral of some sort. Honestly, I didn't like how everyone just pointed their wands upward. IMO, it seemed kind of cheesy.
Oh gosh, I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way! I found that very cheesy, and it didn't touch me emotionally at all. I really wish they had done a funeral.

Signature by ~under-blue-skies on DA
Old July 15th, 2009, 6:04 pm
First Year

Anybody else have a huge issue with how they handled Dumbledore's knowledge of the horcruxes???

First the altered memory from Slughorn mentions the word Horcrux, and Dumbledore just wants to find out what Tom Riddle asked and was interested in. Secondly, once the memory is revealed, Dumbeldore acts like the concept of Voldemort creating Horcruxes is so much worse than he imagined. He knew and suspected Voldemort was doing that since year 2 when he had Tom Riddleís diary. Furthermore, why would Dumbledore kill his hand and destroy a ring if he didnít know or suspect it was a Horcrux. And why would he be gone all year looking for Horcruxes if he didnít know thatís what Dumbledore did. Finally, since Dumbledore didnít know about the Horcruxes, he didnít have a theory on what the others could be to pass onto Harry Harry thinks they could be anything, so how is he going to suspect something of Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff and Nigini. This makes Dumbledore look dumber than he is and, if Harry figures it out on his own next year, will make Harry look smarter than he is.

Old July 15th, 2009, 6:06 pm
First Year

I guess I was not really expecting a funeral because of mugglecast, but just like a ending scene with a white tomb would have been great. The wands up thing was pretty intense though for an addition. Maggie Smith is getting old and she just looked so sad.

I am pretty sure that the trio finds out what Dumbledore has left them in the 7th book when the minister comes to the Burrow.

Are they going to consider the Weasley house as just gone now? The 7th book starts out so much around being there and preparing for the wedding, in general I do not think they should have had that scene.

Dumbledore never really mentioned anything about destroying them either, and no one else seems to know enough to fill him in. He may be able to gather that the Basilisk fang destroyed the book, but what about the sword. I guess he finds out the fire does it by accident.

I think the Gaunt house chapter should have been added to give more background on Riddle. I think the scene where Harry sees and resees Riddle with Slughorn could have been more like in the book, and therefore shorter to make more space. The ring didnt look as I had expected it to either.

I could go on and on, but these two films are going to have a lot to do to focus on the Horcruxes

Old July 15th, 2009, 6:26 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by neart View Post
Anybody else have a huge issue with how they handled Dumbledore's knowledge of the horcruxes???

First the altered memory from Slughorn mentions the word Horcrux, and Dumbledore just wants to find out what Tom Riddle asked and was interested in. Secondly, once the memory is revealed, Dumbeldore acts like the concept of Voldemort creating Horcruxes is so much worse than he imagined. He knew and suspected Voldemort was doing that since year 2 when he had Tom Riddleís diary. Furthermore, why would Dumbledore kill his hand and destroy a ring if he didnít know or suspect it was a Horcrux. And why would he be gone all year looking for Horcruxes if he didnít know thatís what Dumbledore did. Finally, since Dumbledore didnít know about the Horcruxes, he didnít have a theory on what the others could be to pass onto Harry Harry thinks they could be anything, so how is he going to suspect something of Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff and Nigini. This makes Dumbledore look dumber than he is and, if Harry figures it out on his own next year, will make Harry look smarter than he is.
Well the way I saw it was that he knew about the Horcruxes... he just didn't know how many there were and that's what he's really shocked about. He just doesn't go into detail about it to Harry. Even his reaction to Harry's effect on the ring looked more like confirmation that Harry was pseudo-Horcrux than him figuring it out right then and there.

And I think they can deal with learning of the other potential Horcruxes in DH... Dumbledore could even have found a way to reveal that to them posthumously.

Old July 15th, 2009, 6:37 pm
First Year

I wanted a funeral scene and a break up with Ginny.

At least a mention of Tom Riddle's mother's demise would have helped the watcher understand WHY he wanted to live. He was a monster, but we know that, that has roots in his history.

But otherwise, the tone they were going for was totally met. I would have left more out actually... Like really, was burning the Burrow down necessary? Seriously? And the chase from the house made me think that they were going to allow Ginny to be bitten rather than Bill. It was... weird. I realized who Fernir Greyback was but did the audience? He almost looked like Bram Stoker's Dracula. Also -Did the cave scene and the over the top Lord of The Rings thing bug anyone else?

It was well done. They handled the teen romance and such very well I thought. I really LOVED the story of Lily and the lily petal turning to a fish that Slughorn told. It reminded me of Lily being exceptional with charms! I almost wished that were in the book. That scene was beautifully handled.

I know that it is not canon and that it cannot be - I will just re-read the book to get my canon fix.

I love Orange Crush

Last edited by HPMomma; July 15th, 2009 at 6:40 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies