Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Do the movies ruin the books?

Old July 3rd, 2004, 6:22 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILove3eB
Has anyone felt like they liked the HP movies, but they also don't like them? I like how you get to see how they portray Hogwarts, and the characters, etc but sometimes I wish they would just let it be a book and that's it. This is one of the only books that gets kids read, and they had to make it into a movie. Don't get wrong, I think the movies are done very well I definitely enjoy watching them, but for once I wish they'd let a good book just stay a book. I know I am completely contradicting myself, but I feel both ways about it. It's hard to explain. Does anyone understand what I mean or feel the same way?

Also, I hate when people only watch the movie and base their judgments about Harry Potter on them. You can't get the full grasp on HP until you read the books. And this might sound stupid, but does anyone get mad when you know someone who reads Harry Potter, but has the ability to wait to read the next book in the series. I was dying for the 5th book to come out and as soon as I got it that day, I was reading it. But my cousin on the other hand, says she has to finish her summer reading book before starting the 5th book, which she still doesn't have yet, but is still a HP fan. I know this sounds childish, but I just can't imagine reading Harry Potter, and then patiently waiting to read the next one in the series. Anyone know what I mean?
That's how it is with any book turned into a movie. The book always has more detail, information, and description in it than a movie based on it. It's impossible to duplicate a book into film because the film would be too long. And not everything in the book will work on screen, thus changes are made, often to make the movie better.

You have to enjoy them for what they are. Enjoy the books for what they are and enjoy the movies for what they are. Rowling sold the rights for her books to be turned into movies, so clearly she was okay with it. And I can think of more young readers books which have not been turned into films than those which have.

Although I will say I think Hollywood was just being greedy to be so eager to turn these books into films as fast as they did when the series of books hadn't even been completed yet. Yet doing so brought more recognition to Rowling and her books sales have increased because of it. I myself would have never bought the books if I hadn't of seen the first two movies first.

Harry Potter has remained mostly faithful to the books if you want to compare it with something like Lord of the Rings. Lord of the Rings was drastically changed from book to film. Yet I find I enjoy the books for what they are and the films for what they are.

Old July 4th, 2004, 3:49 pm
Fourth Year

How can they ruine the book?! Theyre seperate. You dont have to read/watch either if you dont want to. The movies only enhance the books.

Old July 8th, 2004, 6:02 am
Fourth Year

I really, really, really (get my point?) love both the books and the movies. I'm able to think of them as 2 very different stories and not get bent out of shape if something is 'left out' of the movies. Some people are just more visual, and get more out of the movies. While I wish everyone enjoyed the HP world as much as I do, I know that's not possible. So even if they just watch the movies, at least I can talk about HP with them!

I think it's more likely that the books 'ruin' the movies, because people become so judgemental based on how literal a movie is.

Old July 8th, 2004, 6:04 am
Sixth Year

I absolutely love the movies and I don't think they ruin the books at all. The movies are simply adaptations and I think it would be extremely difficult to keep everything in the movies, not to mention pretty much impossible... I love to read the books with the movies in mind because I picture all of the same people and scenery, I just fill in all of the scenes the movies left out, so it's like having the whole movie exactly to the book in my head.

Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription.. is more cowbell!
Old July 8th, 2004, 7:57 am
Second Year

The images I get from each are very different. The movies are something different that happen to have the same titles and plots as the books. The movies never ruined my mental pictures of Harry Potter, and actually helped with a few things that I couldn't quite figure out.

Old July 8th, 2004, 7:59 am
Seventh Year

sometimes just because i got a image of the characters in my head, and they dont match the actors.

Old July 8th, 2004, 8:04 am
First Year

I think both the movies and the books are really really great! I like to read the books and Daniel radcliffe, Rupert Grint, and Emma Watson play Harry, Ron and Hermione really good! The movies just make me want to read the books more.

Old July 8th, 2004, 8:45 am
Second Year

I don't think that they ruin it, but I understand your point, because of the 1st movie I became interested in hp, I'll be grateful all my life but when I read the books and saw the 2 movie, I could understand why some people dislikes hp or underestimate it, and me that i get very passionate, I always want that the people see the big picture, beyond what movie show us, if you know what i mean, but now i make myself to the idea that the movies are an adaptation, it's just impossible to potrait all and that everyone that see it became such passionate hp fans, at last, i should be glad that they actually are quite enjoyable...it could have been worst

Old July 12th, 2004, 2:22 am
Fourth Year

I completely agree with you ILove3eb! I really wish that they hadn't gone franchise on HP so quickly at least, they could have waited for the last books to come out! I like the movies, but when I read the books, it's hard to get the images of the movie characters out of my head. The books are way better, and lots of people judge them unfairly based on the movies. I couldn't agree more with you.

Old July 12th, 2004, 2:47 am
Rita Skeeter

I'm reading lotr right now, and it's only because i saw the movies and fell in total and complete love with them [and orlando bloom .. all over again] perhaps eventually i would have read the books, but maybe not, i don't know and couldn't tell you .. on the other hand, as i started reading the books [and still am] i notice things that were left out from the movie, such as the meeting with goldberry and tom [w.e is surname is], etc. .. and i have only seen the movies once each [as much as i loved them, i have no patience] well, this isn't a lotr forum, this is a harry potter forum, so maybe this is irrelevent, but i guess it's important to realize that movie change classics [as harry potter is not yet a classic, it would be wrong to use it as an example], even the slightest bit .. on the other hand, movies do encourage viewers to actully pick up the book and read it .. but this is just for lotr, a book in which as well as it is written, hasn't grasped me like any of the harry potter books has [i'm sure i am offending many people right now and for that i apologize; i just can't get into lotr as i have with harry potter], and for that i dont belive making a movie was right .. of course i am being biast and hypocritical, as this is my favorite book series and i bought tickets for PoA in advance and showed up an hour early, i believe that movies do ruin books, and even though i am [again .. surpised?] being hypocritical, even though movies sometimes attract the book, i think imagination is more important than popularity and book sales [again, i assume that i am offending some people by saying this .. and again, i'm sorry] .. so after that long complicated explaination, a final no .. i do not believe it is right to make harry potter [or any book for that matter] into a movie, as fun as it is to watch and even though it grasps some potential readers .. there is a larger price to pay

Old July 12th, 2004, 2:51 am
Fourth Year

No, I don't think the movies ruin the book but sometimes if I'm re-reading the books I see the HP set instead of my own Hogwarts.. but I like how it looks so that's ok. I also see Dan and Rupert and Emma in my visualizations instead of Harry, Ron and Hermione, but they look better then who I visualized them, so that's good! I hope I don't see all the actors, as the characters when I visualize the books though, cuz that sometimes ruins the effect for me.

Old July 12th, 2004, 2:55 am
Second Year

I totally agree......I really like the 1st and 2nd movie because they did the book justice....but the 3rd movie..thats another story..its like cmon people can you please just follow the story. But also at the same time, it was fun to watch. I mean yea i hate it when they have to ruin the books with the movies...but I also love to watch the movies...yea that makes no sense

Old July 19th, 2004, 7:15 pm
Sixth Year

I enjoy the movies very well. The only thing I ever get frustrated with is how they keep giving Hermione Ron's lines.

Me: Of course I'm Hannah Abbot!
Old July 19th, 2004, 7:34 pm
Third Year

The problem with making a movie from a book is that some kind of injustice is done to atleast one of the characters!

It is generaly due to the biased nature of the script writer .But hey the scriptwriter is a human too! the script writer is infuenced by some kinds of qualities present in a certian character and tends to put that character and its qualities into the spotlight, leaving the other characters a bit in the dark sadly.

The Only way to prevent this is to have a group of script writers who can balance each others views and give a well rounded script like in the Lord of the Rings trilogy at least three to four script writers worked on a single movie script.

Last edited by stormcat_5000; July 19th, 2004 at 7:39 pm.
Old July 19th, 2004, 7:41 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_fairy
I enjoy the movies very well. The only thing I ever get frustrated with is how they keep giving Hermione Ron's lines.
Yeah I get upset over that too. That happened A LOT in the LotR trilogy. Characters were always stealing other characters' lines. But I understand why, people wouldn't sit through a 10 hour movie.

(Except for LotR and Harry Potter obsessed people like me of course!)

"This is not an ordinary place," she whispered. "Even the rulers of Terabithia come into it only at times of greatest sorrow or of greatest joy. We must strive to keep it sacred. It would not do to disturb the Spirits."
~~ Leslie Burke Bridge to Terabithia
Old July 19th, 2004, 8:17 pm
Fifth Year

I'll always be glad for the first movie because it's what made me start reading Harry Potter in the first place. I was a bit turned off by all the hype, and was quite ready to dismiss the series as "kid's books". But then I saw the first movie and was intruiged - I wanted to know more, and I'm glad I got the books.

The movies are alright, they don't ruin the books for me. I can enjoy the movies as movies and the books as books. You couldn't condense all the information and detail from every HP book into a 2/3 hour film, it's practically impossible. Undoubtedly, things are going to get cut out and a lot of people aren't going to be happy about it. Yes, sometimes the movie events aren't the same as the book, but that doesn't mean the books are ruined for the fans. They'll always be there, and they'll always be great.

I really just get annoyed with that god-awful screenwriter, Steve Kloves.... he needs to be fired faster than you can say "follow the butterflies".

Old July 19th, 2004, 8:26 pm
Third Year

Hmm maybe you people should start fire Kloves! campaign

Hey he wasnt THAT bad! He said he will adapt the spirit of the book! its not his fault he butchered everything else! OH wait! it is his fault!!

Last edited by stormcat_5000; July 19th, 2004 at 8:31 pm.
Old July 19th, 2004, 8:35 pm
First Year

I think the films have been deliberately made to target children and younger audiences (even though Im 15 so I cant talk!) and I get the feeling alot of the effects, costumes and sets are overdone. OK, so I dont like the films, but that happens when you read the books first! The films would have to be pretty amazing to even equal the books. So Im afraid I find them pretty dissillusioning....

Old July 19th, 2004, 8:36 pm
First Year

I dont think they have ruined them, because i dont use the images from the movies when im rereading the books. They may ham given the books a worse reputation because some people (the ones who havent read the books) judge only from the movies, which arent as good as the books or some other films..

PS: 4 1
COS: 3 1
POA: 4 1
GOF: 3 0
OOTP: 2 2
Old July 19th, 2004, 9:20 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius83
I love the movies. If it weren't for the movies i'd have never picked up the books to be honest.
Same here. For them to water it down would be most unfair, as the kids who have read the book when it came out are now around my age, methinks. Capable of handling the content, at least. After POA, I don't think I'd be able to stand any of the last 4 films being like PS or CoS. I liked how Alfonso made this into a more mature story. The books are better and always will be, so sticking true to them might make the movies more enjoyable. Like many have said, maybe Steve Kloves needs to be replaced. These aren't fairytale books, so I don't see why the movies have to be all cheery and warm. I don't mind cheeriness and stuff, but it doesn't suit what the story is about.

"You need your Inner Eye tested, if you ask me.
" - Ron Weasley

"I don't know where you learned about right and wrong, but you
seem to have missed a few crucial lessons." - Molly Weasley
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies