Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial

The Potter Generation

Old February 15th, 2007, 1:07 pm
First Year

Re: The Potter Generation

I totally agree about the most important quote. It's amazing!

Old February 15th, 2007, 1:44 pm
First Year

What a wonderful editorial. Someone should send a copy to Laura Mallory and then maybe she would understand how great these books are and just maybe she would actually pick them up and read them.

Old February 15th, 2007, 2:29 pm
Triple Threat in Third Place

As a mother of a high school senior, I find your editorial very moving. So moving in fact that I'm sitting here with streams of mascara streaming down my face ( I can't find my tissues). I've watched my son (who happens to be the same age as Dan Radcliffe) grown up with Harry Potter and I've watched him go throught the transitions of young life exactly as you have described it (accurately I may add). He stands on the threshold of manhood too and I hope that he and Harry make wise decisions, live life fully and always keep their friends close by.

I wish, as a mother, that Jo would continue sharing Harry's life with us after Deathly Hallows, because it'll be just as hard to let him go as it'll be to let my son go.

On a cheerful note...at least we'll know that Harry won't have to return to the Dursley's to do his laundry.

Best wishes Erin...keep writing!

Old February 15th, 2007, 5:08 pm
Second Year

Indeed
I got hooked up on Harry when GoF was just released... and I will turn 17 this August, which makes me around the same age Harry is then... it's great I really grew up with him... and I'll be thankful to Jo forever for that

Dare and feed it milk...?

Offering milk only annoys Knarls compared to spoiling... and you wouldn't want to know what an infuriated Knarl will do to you, now would you?
Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.

W.O.M.B.A.T. Grade 1: Outstanding
W.O.M.B.A.T. Grade 2: Exceeds Expectations..
W.O.M.B.A.T. Grade 3: Outstanding

Average: Outstanding!
Old February 15th, 2007, 5:53 pm
First Year

I know exactly what you mean. I met Harry when I was 10, and connected with him immediately because I related, for I was away from home, and my parents for the first time at sleep away camp. Since then I have somehow managed to be his age throughout most of the book releases, and when Harry 'graduates' (I know he's not going back to Hogwarts, but it would be his final year there) at the end of Deathly Hallows, it will come just over a month after my own graduation.

Old February 15th, 2007, 5:56 pm
First Year

I was an adult when Harry Potter came out, but as much as I love the books, I have often imagined how amazing it would have felt to grow up with them. Every release I try to take my either my niece and nephew or a friend's child to the bookstore party here, because I know (and they don't yet and may not for years to come) how unique and special this phenomenon has been. Each time a book is released and the reading marathons start, I think, "This will only happen two more times," "This will only happen one more time." It must be wonderful to have grown up with these characters as role models (and anti-role models!).

Old February 15th, 2007, 6:09 pm
Second Year

That is my favourite line in the whole series. I remember the first time I read it and I was like - woah.

There are somethings you can't share without ending up liking each other,
and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them.

Old February 15th, 2007, 7:49 pm
First Year

wow, you are so right Erin, I completely agree with you and I am so glad to be part of the 'Potter Generation'! Harry Potter has been such a great part of my life for about 7 years now. Even though everything around me was changing constantly, I moved from place to place and changed schools and friends, Harry Potter's always been there for me. I cannot imagine growing up without him!

I've also lost count of the number of occasions when I remembered the same situation I was experiencing happening to Harry or the others at some point in the books. Sometimes it just brings a smile to my lips but at times the fact that I can relate to someone really helps me, since I never had any really intimate friends to which I could completely confide.

And I agree about dumbledore's line, it always brings me close to tears when I read it!

'Sounds like the sort of mental thing Dumbledore would say.'
Old February 15th, 2007, 9:02 pm
First Year

Hi everyone!

This is Erin H. I am so grateful for all your positive reactions to my editorial. I was so stunned when it was accepted by Mugglenet- Iíve been reading editorials for such a long time and never though that something I had written would actually get posted. Itís such an amazing feeling!

Amy, who posted my editorial, recommended that I check out the COS forums, and Iím so glad I did. I was so touched to read what you all had to say abut ďThe Potter GenerationĒ. Right now, Iím pretty much shaking as Iím typing this. The whole waiting process for the Harry Potter series is unique just to fans right now, and to be the same age as the main characters through their coming-of-age tale is even more special- I completely agree with Rebecca Hudson, itís a privilege.

To respond to a couple of particular postsÖEmmamoine, hilere, AliceFO, witch007, and anyone else who mentioned this, the quote from Dumbledore is my favorite too. I definitely remember being frozen on that line for about 5 minutes when I first read it. Itís so absolutely touchingÖ. sfgilgalad, Iím doing the Spanish thing too. It makes reading Spanish so much easier when I have the story basically memorized!...CooksMom, I am considering your post one of the best compliments Iíve ever gotten. Thank you so much!...Gottriplets, oh my goodness, thank you for your beautiful response. Your reaction remind me of my mom, and I admire her a lot. It was really nice to hear a parentís thoughts. Thank you!

Again, thank you so much to everyone who read the editorial and who has given such positive feedback and encouragement. Really, I canít even begin to tell you how elated I am!

Erin H/ orchideous29

Old February 15th, 2007, 9:34 pm
First Year

Someone should send a copy of this editorial thru J.K. Rowlings publishers so that she can read it. I'm sure that she hears how her books have touched many lives, but this editorial does a very good job of showing how it has at least affected one person's life.

Old February 15th, 2007, 10:34 pm
First Year

I think that your editorial really shows why Harry Potter is so loved by people of all ages. It does show Harry in very reaslistic situations that reflect life's stages as very many people experienced them growing up. But I would hate to think that there are no book-related influences in childrens' lives today other than Harry. There are many other good books with a lot of good life lessons and stories we can all relate to, many of which are described in Mugglenet's Book Trolley.
Having said that Im very glad to have this serialized book in my life. I would hate to have had all seven books lying in a row on my library shelf for me to read at any time. It has been wonderful to wonder over a period of YEARS what happens next. What a treat for all who live to see such days!

Old February 16th, 2007, 1:23 am
First Year

this is so true! myself, i started reading when I was 14, but i went pretty much through the same process!

Old February 16th, 2007, 2:11 am
First Year

I really could relate to this editorial. I was nine when I picked up the HP books (by then, the first three were out; the third had just been out for about a week), so I was slightly younger than Harry when I started reading, and a little more than three years younger when GoF came out. It was very nice, though, to read HBP as an almost sixteen-year-old (my birthday is in August), and I like the fact that I will still be seventeen when DH comes out. Many of Harry's teenage trials run parallel to what I see every day, and it was great growing up with the Trio and the others.

Old February 16th, 2007, 3:45 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottersleuth200 View Post
But I would hate to think that there are no book-related influences in childrens' lives today other than Harry. There are many other good books with a lot of good life lessons and stories we can all relate to, many of which are described in Mugglenet's Book Trolley.
Oh, definitely! Many of the authors in the Book Trolley have given us strong, young protagonists- C.S. Lewis, Jane Austen, Lois Lowry, and Philip Pullman are some of my favorites. Their characters are all wonderful as well- I think I just have a particular soft spot when it comes to Harry.

Old February 16th, 2007, 11:30 am
Definitely not Fourth Year (that's a bit boring)

Great editorial Erin.

I was extremely ancient when the first Harry Potter book came out, (and I am even more ancient now!) but became a huge fan of JKR on the spot. I have watched Harry grow, and develop, and emerge as a young man able to stand on his own for his next journey. I too, am counting the days till we find out how his story will end.

Keep writing!

Old February 16th, 2007, 12:33 pm
First Year

I first picked up Harry Potter when I was 11 and when Harry Ron and Hermione were 11. Now when DH will be released I'll be 17 just like Harry Ron and Hermione, and about to turn 18. While they may not return to Hogwarts, I will also be in my final year at high school. It's been such a journey for me to have Harry in my life. I see so many things that apply in Harry's life that apply in mine. School + exams, relationships with peers and adults, maturing along with Harry, going through the stages when I wasn't so pleased with my life etc. All just like Harry. There are so many parallels in the books with my life. One example that I love is how on Valentine's Day we get delivered roses and letters at school, just like with Ginny's poem/song to Harry. I thought that was a cute parallel. Yet we obviously haven't been identical. I sometimes really crave for Harry's world, such as the fact he has such close friendships with Ron and Hermione, a level of friendship I don't believe I have with my friends. And I definitely agree with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeLuna View Post
Maybe I don't regularly apply the lessons I've learned from HP on a daily basis.
I sometimes wish that the things we learn at school would be directly applicable in our everydays lives.

Of course that's not to say I'd want to have Harry's burden of the prophecy and the loss of his parents so young. (obviously)

Old February 16th, 2007, 6:01 pm
Sixth Year

This is why it's going to be so painful when Harry Potter ends. It feels like yesterday I was in Year 6, all hyped up because I was going to big school. I can't believe time goes so fast.

Great editorial *wobbly smile*

Move on, move on
No there's nothing changing

Last edited by Spritey; February 16th, 2007 at 6:04 pm.
Old February 17th, 2007, 6:03 am
First Year

Definitely captured what I've been feeling. I am a member of the Potter generation, and have thought so before, though without putting it into words the way you did. I read the first book when I was 11 and will read the final book this summer at 20. Talk about growing up with Harry!

Old February 18th, 2007, 7:29 pm
First Year

I'm a bit late but this was sweet. I'm like you, I grew up with Harry Potter. I started reading it when I was 10 and I will be 18 when book 7 comes out. I'm only 6 months older than Dan Radcliffe too.

Old February 19th, 2007, 12:08 am
First Year

I am considerably older than most who have posted here, but I feel compelled to add my congradulations on a beautiful editorial. When reading this series I saw my children at different stages of their lives and it brought back both fond and some not so fond memories of happiness, love, and frustation faced by them. In a time when growing up comes all to fast, it is helpful even for a mom to have a handbook on what our children are facing .