Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone

Little Questions Answered v.21

Old September 21st, 2012, 5:41 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: Little Questions Answered v.21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbrother View Post
It was an accident. It should have been around two or three detentions.
Well, I guess it depends on what your definition of an accident is . . .

To me deliberately casting a curse at someone without knowing the outcome is hardly an accident. I acknowledge that it was in self-defense.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2012, 6:34 pm
Sixth Year

If Draco use the Cruciatus, then he by all rights should've been at least suspended and investigated for using an Unforgivable.

Most likely he wasn't because DD knew (from Snape) that if Draco was taken from school then Voldy would've seen it as failure, had him executed and killed Narcissa as well. This is probably why he allowed Draco to run around even after he nearly killed Ron and Katie Bell, he needed Draco around to keep Snape from being killed by the Unbreakable Vow (if anything happened to Draco, the Vow would kill Snape since he failed to protect him).

Old September 21st, 2012, 8:01 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post

To me deliberately casting a curse at someone without knowing the outcome is hardly an accident. I acknowledge that it was in self-defense.
It was pretty stupid but he didn't intend to kill Draco. Harry learnt his lesson and was so sorry about what happened so I don't see the point of him being forced to do so many detentions. Missing his quidditch match was a punishment in itself.

Old September 21st, 2012, 9:17 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post

I agree. Without knowing anything about the curse, Harry had no way of knowing what would happen to Draco if he used the curse. What if it had been another form of Avada Kedavra? It is indefensible. Harry got off easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSonic View Post
If Draco use the Cruciatus, then he by all rights should've been at least suspended and investigated for using an Unforgivable.

Most likely he wasn't because DD knew (from Snape) that if Draco was taken from school then Voldy would've seen it as failure, had him executed and killed Narcissa as well. This is probably why he allowed Draco to run around even after he nearly killed Ron and Katie Bell, he needed Draco around to keep Snape from being killed by the Unbreakable Vow (if anything happened to Draco, the Vow would kill Snape since he failed to protect him).
Even though we all know Draco intended to use the Cruciatus, the fact of the matter is that he didn't get the whole curse out, which would be his defense, ie, I wasn't using an Unforgivable, and you can't prove that I was.

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old September 21st, 2012, 9:41 pm
Sixth Year

Couldn't they check the last curse his wand put out, which would've been the Cruciatus? Or given him veritaserum, or various other interrogation methods?

Yeesh, Draco just gets away with EVERYTHING doesn't he?

Last edited by ShadowSonic; September 21st, 2012 at 9:43 pm.
Old September 21st, 2012, 10:28 pm
Sixth Year

It wouldn't show up because he got interrupted while casting the spell.

Old September 21st, 2012, 10:50 pm
Sixth Year

So basically, yes Draco does get away with every bad thing he did throughout the series. Not counting minor comeuppance like detentions or Sectumsempra.

Last edited by ShadowSonic; September 21st, 2012 at 10:55 pm.
Old September 21st, 2012, 11:02 pm
Second Year

It is true that Draco gets away with a lot of mischief, but usually when he does get by, he is normally insulting the Trio, when there are no teachers around, when Snape is around, who will always manage to blame the Trio. A couple of times around Hagrid, who doesn't even notice, really. But Draco certainly didn't get away with being out of the castle after hours with McGonagall nor get away with trying to curse Harry behind his back in front of Crouch/Mad Eye.

Old September 21st, 2012, 11:06 pm
Sixth Year

And what about all the stuff he does in HBP, does he ever suffer for any of that? Aside from minor sectumsempra.

Old September 21st, 2012, 11:39 pm
Second Year

Quote:
And what about all the stuff he does in HBP, does he ever suffer for any of that? Aside from minor sectumsempra.
Well, starting from the broken nose incident. Frankly, Harry had that coming. I happen to consider myself a Slytherin and sneaking into a compartment full of them wasn't smart at all. Harry never said anything about it, no teachers around and of course, he runs into Snape. But, as far as the rest...there was no way Dumbledore could let on that he knew it was Draco. First of all, detentions wouldn't have stopped Draco from trying...what's worse is that should Dumbledore let on that he knew...Narcissa or Bellatrix would have found out about it, then the Dark Lord would have found out and now you got a dead Draco on your hands. Perhaps the suffering came before the Sectumsempra...the crying in the bathroom and such. Emotional pain can be worse than anything physical...sometimes.

Old September 21st, 2012, 11:39 pm
Sixth Year

He was under a lot of stress during that year. He learnt soon enough that he was in over his head. His life and his parent's life were on the line. Harry caught him crying and confiding in Myrtle of all people.

Old September 22nd, 2012, 12:01 am
Sixth Year

What about nearly killing Ron and Katie, and imperiusing Rosemerta? Or letting the DEs into Hogwarts and getting Bill scarred? Where's the punishment (karmic or otherwise) for all that?

Old September 22nd, 2012, 12:24 am
Third Year

Are the Head Boy and Head Girl always in the same house or can they be from different houses?

Old September 22nd, 2012, 12:29 am
Sixth Year

They can be from different Houses. There's no reason why they'd have to be from the same House.

Old September 22nd, 2012, 12:37 am
First Year

I'd imagine chances of them are higher of them being in different houses. What I wonder is if a non-prefect is selected to be Head Boy (like James was), who does the leftover prefect patrol with?

Old September 22nd, 2012, 12:38 am
Second Year

From Prisoner of Azkaban -
Quote:
"The teachers and I need to conduct a thorough search of the castle," Professor Dumbledore told them as Professors McGonagall and Flitwick closed all doors into the hall. "I'm afraid that, for your own safety, you will have to spend the night here. I want the prefects to stand guard over the entrances to the hall and I am leaving the Head Boy and Girl in charge. Any disturbance should be reported to me immediately," he added to Percy, who was looking immensely proud and important. "Send word with one of the ghosts."
Percy from Gryffindor was Head Boy...however it doesn't say if Penelope Clearwater, (his girlfriend and former prefect) from Ravenclaw was Head Girl. However, I'm quite sure they can be from different houses. If the Head Girl described here was Penelope, then it's definitely, yes.

Old September 22nd, 2012, 7:12 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderHooligan View Post
I'd imagine chances of them are higher of them being in different houses. What I wonder is if a non-prefect is selected to be Head Boy (like James was), who does the leftover prefect patrol with?
I'm surprised to think there would ever be a head boy or girl who hadn't been a prefect. It would seem to disrupt the system.

:: POTTERMORE INFO ::
NAME: CloakWing
HOUSE: Gryffindor
WAND: Cypress, 13 3/4 in., Phoenix Feather Core, Surprisingly Swishy
Old September 22nd, 2012, 7:33 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID824 View Post
I'm surprised to think there would ever be a head boy or girl who hadn't been a prefect. It would seem to disrupt the system.
As TenderHouligan said James Potter wasn't a prefect; Remus Lupin was the prefect for their year. Potter might have earned the Head Boy position because he was the Quidditch captain.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old September 22nd, 2012, 10:42 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
What about nearly killing Ron and Katie, and imperiusing Rosemerta? Or letting the DEs into Hogwarts and getting Bill scarred? Where's the punishment (karmic or otherwise) for all that?
He didn't have a very good time in DH. Ever since Lucius failed in OoTP, the Malfoy family lost favor and had a bad time.

Old September 22nd, 2012, 11:09 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by decaye23 View Post
It is true that Draco gets away with a lot of mischief, but usually when he does get by, he is normally insulting the Trio, when there are no teachers around, when Snape is around, who will always manage to blame the Trio. A couple of times around Hagrid, who doesn't even notice, really. But Draco certainly didn't get away with being out of the castle after hours with McGonagall nor get away with trying to curse Harry behind his back in front of Crouch/Mad Eye.
Mischief is putting Draco Malfoy's actions fairly lightly, IMO, and he got away with a lot of things -namely nearly murdering Ron and Katie, letting Death Eaters into Hogwarts, being a Death Eater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbrother View Post
He didn't have a very good time in DH. Ever since Lucius failed in OoTP, the Malfoy family lost favor and had a bad time.
The Malfoys made their own bed - they lost the favour of the violent megalomaniac they chose to support in violent megalomania. They were getting a taste of their own medicine.
A lot of innocent, good people had it a lot worse than the Malfoys in DH. The Malfoy family came through the war alive and relatively uninjured. Seems to me that Draco and his family got away with every cruel and murderous thing they did.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone