Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Old December 29th, 2011, 8:40 am
Eldest Gruff

Re: Rate / Review the Last Film you've seen v.3

Topic and politeness in discussion anyone?

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2011, 9:25 am
Fourth Year

Dorian Gray

I wanted to see this at the cinema, but real life got in the way, so I ended up watching it on TV last night.

The film is pretty faithful to the book - the main difference being that things that were alluded to in the book are shown in the film ( hence the 15 certificate).

I enjoyed Colin Firth's performance as Henry Wotton, and it was nice to see Fiona Shaw ( Aunt Petunia) in a role employing a wider range of emotions/visual expressions than she had in HP.

I was slightly underwhelmed by Ben Barnes who played the role of Dorian.

I am sort of glad that I didn't see it at the cinema - I give it a 6.5 out of 10.

Old December 31st, 2011, 3:22 am
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Super 8 - 7.5/10

I just saw this on streaming. The most interesting parts for me were the ones about the kids making the movie. The train crash was awesome. The monster was okay.

Basically, I thought the main plot of the film was like a cross between Jurassic Park, ET, and a rather routine X-File. I didn't really see anything exceptional there. The interrelationships between the kids brought to mind Stand By Me, which may be another reason the critics loved it.

Probably the coolest part of the movie for me, though, was during the end credits when they finally show the film that the kids made. I totally loved that. I gave the movie an extra half-point just for that alone.

Basically, I found the movie entertaining, but not award-worthy.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old December 31st, 2011, 3:44 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
Super 8 - 7.5/10

I just saw this on streaming. The most interesting parts for me were the ones about the kids making the movie. The train crash was awesome. The monster was okay.

Basically, I thought the main plot of the film was like a cross between Jurassic Park, ET, and a rather routine X-File. I didn't really see anything exceptional there. The interrelationships between the kids brought to mind Stand By Me, which may be another reason the critics loved it.

Probably the coolest part of the movie for me, though, was during the end credits when they finally show the film that the kids made. I totally loved that. I gave the movie an extra half-point just for that alone.

Basically, I found the movie entertaining, but not award-worthy.
It's also a perfect period setting, all of it rings true. And it's in the style of old-time monster sci-fi movies & storytelling.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old December 31st, 2011, 4:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
It's also a perfect period setting, all of it rings true. And it's in the style of old-time monster sci-fi movies & storytelling.
It does do a good job with the period.

I think I just had different expectations from JJ Abrams. It was shocking to see such a straightforward narrative coming from him. Plus, my friend Bob Tinnell did a film about 70s kids and classic monsters a little over a decade ago, and I was probably subliminally comparing Super 8 to Bob's film - which had a bigger impact on me.

Like I said, my favorite part in Super 8 was seeing the movie the kids actually made. But I also enjoyed watching the process of making the film. The rest seemed rather routine to me.

But I also may not be the best viewer for this film. I've seen way too many of its antecedents, so I may just be jaded and hard to impress. I say that with a certain a mount of chagrin.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!

Last edited by ccollinsmith; December 31st, 2011 at 5:12 am.
Old December 31st, 2011, 9:18 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
I agree - Super 8 ticked all of those boxes for me - I saw it twice - once with each of my daughters and both practically disowned me because I was singing along with the music!

The showing of the kids film at the end was perfect - I couldn't believe how many people missed it because they were rushing out...

Old December 31st, 2011, 11:06 pm

THE BIG LEBOWSKI - 6/10

I know a lot of people love this movie, but I didn't really find it very entertaining. And mind you, I'm a big fan of FARGO and O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU.

For me, the main thing to watch in this film is simply the stellar cast - Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Steve Buscemi, John Turturro, Philip Seymour Hoffman. Especially Bridges.

ETA:

COWBOYS AND ALIENS - 8.5/10

Sad, I know. I didn't enjoy the Coen Brothers film. I was not overly impressed by SUPER 8. But I did love this "junk."

Both SUPER 8 and COWBOYS AND ALIENS deal with alien visitations. SUPER 8 is scripted by JJ Abrams, while COWBOYS AND ALIENS is scripted by Robert Orci - who wrote STAR TREK for Abrams. But I loved the silly stupid Western and was ambivalent toward the movie that made the critics' year-end lists. Why?

Well, for starters, it didn't rip off CLOSE ENCOUNTERS or ET. During SUPER 8, I kept thinking that this was just the JURASSIC PARK version of ET. For me, that's a problem because I have never liked ET (and I actively hate CLOSE ENCOUNTERS). During SUPER 8, I knew all the while that in the end, all the alien was really going to want to do was phone/go home. Now, I did like SUPER 8 better than I ever liked ET because the alien is more dangerous, and the film has a great train wreck, and the kids are making a movie. But just reminding me of ET gave the film a pretty big hole to dig itself out of.

So for me, at least... COWBOYS AND ALIENS did not have the ET disadvantage. Instead, it had the distinct advantage of ripping off THE SEARCHERS. It's not nearly as complex or as morally ambiguous as THE SEARCHERS. And no, it has no pretensions of greatness. But it does invoke the super-coolness of ordinary - and extraordinary - people riding out into the desert to look for their abducted kin.

The desert! Horses! Brush! Dust! Rock Formations! Mesquite! I just loved the look and feel of the desert and the period costumes. And the casting of Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig was inspired. Both of them looked perfect for their parts... and played them with conviction. They really "sold" the silly scenario.

Is the film ridiculous? Sure it is! It's an alien abduction movie set in the Old West! But it's not really any more ridiculous than any other alien visitation movie - including (imo) SUPER 8.

So for me, it just hit all the right marks. Do I think it's better than the film that made the critics' lists? No, not necessarily. I just enjoyed it more.

A perfect bit of New Years fluff. Pass the popcorn, please.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!

Last edited by ccollinsmith; January 1st, 2012 at 3:08 pm. Reason: ETA
Old January 1st, 2012, 11:23 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

Once Upon a Time in the West - 8/10

Old January 2nd, 2012, 4:46 am

KUNG FU PANDA 2 - 8/10

I'm a sucker for Kung Fu movies, I'm a sucker for great animation, and I'm a sucker for strong voice acting.

I liked the first movie better, but Jack Black once again turns in a great performance as Po, and Gary Oldman gets in a turn as his evil nemesis Shen. Really stellar voice performance by Gary Oldman.

The animation, as always, is wonderful, and you can tell that the filmmakers just really love Kung Fu.

Good stuff!

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!

Last edited by ccollinsmith; January 2nd, 2012 at 4:49 am.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 9:00 am

The Shipping News - 5/10

Kevin Spacey is the hottest person in Hollywood in my humble opinion, but there was something missing from this film, I can't put my finger on what precisely. It felt not properly put together, somehow loose.

Old January 3rd, 2012, 10:20 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
It does do a good job with the period.

I think I just had different expectations from JJ Abrams. It was shocking to see such a straightforward narrative coming from him. Plus, my friend Bob Tinnell did a film about 70s kids and classic monsters a little over a decade ago, and I was probably subliminally comparing Super 8 to Bob's film - which had a bigger impact on me.

Like I said, my favorite part in Super 8 was seeing the movie the kids actually made. But I also enjoyed watching the process of making the film. The rest seemed rather routine to me.

But I also may not be the best viewer for this film. I've seen way too many of its antecedents, so I may just be jaded and hard to impress. I say that with a certain a mount of chagrin.
I just saw this movie as well. It wasn't perfect but it had me laughing at parts and it reminded me of ET at times (even though ET never had any real swearing that I can remember ). I've never seen so many uses of the s-word in a movie -- I swear I counted at least 10 or so in this movie .

Super 8 -- 8/10

It wasn't a perfect movie, but it reminded me of why I liked most of Steven Spielberg's films when I was a kid. Took me back to a simpler time . Plotwise, it was weak in some spots; but action wise it was a good trip away from the troubles of life.

The Conspirator -- 8/10

A good movie about the trial of Mary Surrat, in the place of her son, John, for conspiring to murder President Lincoln. Definitely worth the watch and a good portrayal of the time period and how the trial was not fair and balanced.

Flags of our Fathers -- 10/10

One of the best movies that I've seen in quite some time. It's a good portrayal of what happened to the soldiers at Iwo Jima. The actors did a really nice job in portraying the real people who were involved in the raising of the flags at Iwo Jima and what came afterword.

Letters from Iwo Jima -- 8/10

This one was unexpected. It wasn't quite what I thought it would be, but it was still worth the watch. One of the moments that really blew me away was seeing one of the Japanese soldiers realizing that they weren't so different from the Americans afterall.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old January 8th, 2012, 11:57 am

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - 6/10

Spoilers ahead.

I liked it, but I really can't agree it was better than the Swedish film. One thing was certainly better - Blomkvist's character. Daniel Craig has a magnetic presence on screen, and I've obviously been underestimating him all this time I thought he was boring. His character is given more time and more depth than in the Swedish film and I personally found him more sympathetic and relatable. Also decidedly more attractive.

I feel the opposite way about Lisbeth Salander's character - she felt static and flat to me, rather rushed over, like the film creators expected the viewers to already be acquainted with her character. I don't think they did her justice.

Another character which I thought was ruefully lacking in exposure and depth throughout the film was Martin Vanger's - by the time we realise he's the murderer, he should be well-rounded, familiar to the audience, a certain amount of comfort should have been established about him, so that when the characters and the audience finally make the connection between all those trips and the murders and the fact that Martin was brought along on every one of them, it would stir and disturb us more.

Another major qualm I had was the crucial point in the investigation when Blomkvist realises that Harriet is looking in the opposite direction to everyone else in the old photos - it was posited as a tipping point in the Swedish film, very dramatically, and I remember getting shivers upon the realisation. That's when I really got into the mystery plot. In this film it was more subtle, which isn't inherently bad or anything, it just didn't work for me.

And finally, why the hell was everyone speaking with an accent?! It was ridiculous. They're not speaking Swedish either way, they could have just spoken regular English, the way Daniel Craig did. The accent serves no purpose at all, other than to make everyone sound like an immigrant.

Old January 8th, 2012, 3:54 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
The Magnificent Ambersons

Verdict- Sounds great on paper...on screen not so much. Only thing really worthwhile is the irony of the fate that befalls the spoiled brat. Otherwise what you've got is the typically wooden Joseph Cotton in an unpleasant film of disjointed segments.
I know I am bias when it comes to this film because it is of my favourites, if not overall favourite, film. However I do agree there are definite flaws with some performances and I agree about a slight degree of disjointedness between some of the scenes. Saying that, I think it must be taken into account that Orson's edit was originally 40 mins longer that the final cut and the ending was changed by the studio. This film is in fact a victim of studio mutilation and does not reflect Orson's original vision. When I watch I am blown away by the enormous potential of this film and I practically swoon when the moments of brilliance, of which there are many, shine through. I think Agnes Moorehead is phenomenal in this, I don't think I have ever seen a character played so human, complex and raw. I love how Orson captures the layers of the human character in his films. There is no black and white, but a jumbled mess of emotion and paradox and “The Magnificent Ambersons” contains great examples of this (though not in every performance granted). In my opinion the steady genius emerging from the cinematography, performances and humour in this film are enough for me to make up for its faults, and although Orson's original edit is lost forever I really believe his edit would have achieved the film the acclaim it deserved.

I am gespatchio Oh!
Old January 8th, 2012, 5:32 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
The Shipping News - 5/10

Kevin Spacey is the hottest person in Hollywood in my humble opinion, but there was something missing from this film, I can't put my finger on what precisely. It felt not properly put together, somehow loose.
I agree with your rating; having read the book prior, I was concerned how it would translate to film, even with someone as talented as Kevin Spacey cast as Quoyle. While a few individual performances were very good, the film overall fails to, as you say, properly put things together.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old January 8th, 2012, 6:19 pm
Eldest Gruff

I concur with the 5/10 for Shipping News. It's a bit ago since I watched it (technically I'm wrong in this thread now ), but I seem to remember it actually got a bit boring in between, despite creating a great dark atmosphere at times and despite the good story.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old January 9th, 2012, 4:17 am

TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY - 10/10

Wow. Wow. Wow. and Wow.

This film finally moved from limited release in 17 U.S. theaters to a larger release in 809 theaters. And my theater was packed.

I already had high expectations for this film based on reviews and the television trailer, but I didn't know how I'd hold up viewing a complex British spy thriller. Thankfully, my fears were unfounded. The taut script uses flashbacks to take the viewer on trips into compelling smaller stories that help to fill in blanks for the larger story. Because the script was so well conceived, I had no real trouble following the notoriously difficult TINKER TAILOR plot. Yet the script trusted viewers' intelligence - allowing us to make inferences based on what we saw on screen.

The movie also gets the period perfect - to the point that the movie itself feels like a serious spy movie produced in the very period that it is recounting. But it does so seamlessly, without drawing attention to the effort. Quite a feat, I'd say.

Gary Oldman's performance as George Smiley is impeccable. And the Supporting Cast is just as brilliant as I expected it would be when I first saw the cast list.

Despite its being a very quiet movie, TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY is intense. It kept me on the edge of my seat throughout the entire two hours. I had high expectations going in, but this movie exceeded those expectations.

Highly recommended.

Possible Oscar nominations:    

Best Actor (Gary Oldman)
Best Adapted Screenplay
Production Design or Art Direction or whatever they call it in the Awards!
Cinematography
Editing
Best Director
Best Support Actor (I'd probably nominate Benedict Cumberbatch and John Hurt, but good arguments could be made for any of the actors who made the BAFTA Long List).

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!

Last edited by ccollinsmith; January 9th, 2012 at 4:38 am. Reason: Because I'm a compulsive editor :)
Old January 9th, 2012, 7:19 am
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - 6/10

I feel the opposite way about Lisbeth Salander's character - she felt static and flat to me, rather rushed over, like the film creators expected the viewers to already be acquainted with her character. I don't think they did her justice.
I gave it about an 8/10 using your scale. Obviously I can't base my whole opinion on the books, which it shouldn't be necessary for a moviegoer to have read, but I would still point out a few things.

First, obviously, the title is shared with the English translation of the book. This suggests to me, and to viewers, and apparently to writers and directors, that the protagonist of the work should be this girl, Lisbeth, and her distinguishing characteristics should be bared and accentuated. But if we were to consider the original Swedish title for a moment (book and film, if I'm not mistaken), translated "men who hate women," I think an entirely different focus and approach might be expected and accepted, one in which Lisbeth is a very important but secondary character. It's amusing that I felt the Swedish film should have used a "Girl" title, and this movie perhaps would be better served by Men Who Hate Women. In other words, I suspect a really faithful adaptation of the books would recognize that the driving force behind the story is the men who inhabit Lisbeth's local and global environment, and not Lisbeth's own life.

The second and more pertinent opinion I can offer is that the filmmakers this time around may not have expected viewers to know Lisbeth already at all, but something of the opposite. I think Lisbeth is one of the more aggressively private characters I could imagine. She just doesn't give things away, intentionally or otherwise, and she likes it that way. That is except for where Blomkvist is concerned. She inadvertently expresses herself around him, she accidentally lets slip secrets, she only reluctantly makes herself vulnerable. This is not a personality that lends itself well to being understood. So, I don't agree that the viewer should (yet) know Lisbeth at all, but should only have a curiosity, a guarded identification, and some preliminary admiration for her.

The structure of this movie aside, we should remember that there are three parts to the story. It is known as The Millennium Series, and not the Lisbeth series, for a reason. After her involvement in the first installment she is plainly going to be back, and going to be integral, but we haven't really met her yet.

Last edited by canismajoris; January 9th, 2012 at 7:22 am.
Old January 9th, 2012, 7:44 am

It's funny, because in Bulgaria the Swedish film's title was translated as "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," and the American one as "Men Who Hated Women."

You make a good point about Lisbeth's character - I hadn't approached it from that point of view. I haven't read the books or seen either of the remaining films in the trilogy though.

Old January 9th, 2012, 8:27 pm
Queen of Apathy

The Help- 10/10

Best movie I have watched in a long while.

Old January 10th, 2012, 5:57 am
Secret Keeper

The Help

Acting- 9
Script- 7.5
Visuals- 8
Sound- 8
Editing- 8

Total Score = 81

Verdict- I didn't have much interest until it begin picking up major awards heat, but it was better then I expected.

War Horse

Acting- 7.5
Script- 7.5
Visuals- 10
Sound- 10
Editing- 8.5

Total Score = 87

Verdict- In many ways a great movie, but also one of the cheesiest pieces of melodrama I've seen in quite a while.

Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol

Acting- 8
Script- 8.5
Visuals- 9.5
Sound- 9
Editing- 9

Total Score = 88

Verdict- the best one yet and some smart blockbuster entertainment available to you admist the sea of Oscar bait

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; January 10th, 2012 at 6:17 am.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion