Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

The Simpsons

Old December 2nd, 2007, 12:27 am
Seventh Year

The Simpsons

So, who even watches this show even more? I mean, they're re-using some of the old plot lines again, and the refernces to various movies and such are just becoming more and more obvious.

I definatly prefered it in the olden days, when it was still original.

Do you love the Final Fantasy series, but have no-one to discuss it with? Then come and join http://forums.finalfantasyvii.info/index.php, a small friendly community where people are kind and helpful - much like CoS.

Wimsey's man through and through...
Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2007, 3:56 am
Sixth Year

Re: The Simpsons

I hate the newer ones...the older episodes rock. I loved the one where Bart, Nelson, Milhouse, and Ralphie are in a boyband called the "party-posse" and I like the one where Bart takes focusism, oh, and the one where they made fun of the x-files.

- I John 4:18

PROUD MEMBER OF OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Enter the world of my fanfictions! Deviantart
Old December 2nd, 2007, 7:12 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammi567 View Post
So, who even watches this show even more? I mean, they're re-using some of the old plot lines again, and the refernces to various movies and such are just becoming more and more obvious.

I definatly prefered it in the olden days, when it was still original.
Same here, but at least it's still better than some of the stuff that's on tv. And that's a good thing .

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 1:15 am
Seventh Year

This isn't just a thread to bash the show, right? Because I still watch it, and actually I still enjoy it. Of course, the show's best years are behind it (season 8 is my particular favorite) but I still look forward to it every Sunday night (well, not tonight - I'm watching Prisoner of Azkaban on ABC Family right now).

Anyway, I've been a huge fan of "The Simpsons" for as long as I can remember. I have tons of merchandise (each season on DVD, three Homer-as-Santa talking doll thingys, Christmas ornaments of several characters, a Duff Beer clock, a Moe's Tavern coaster, etc. etc.), and I actually spent April 27th of this year (the 20th anniversary of the Simpsons' first appearance on "The Tracy Ullman Show") watching my 20 favorite episodes of the show. I'll list some here in the hopes of getting a conversation started: "Homer's Enemy" (featuring Frank "Grimey" Grimes), "You Only Move Twice" (Homer takes a job with Globex and walks straight into a James Bond movie), "Cape Feare" (Sideshow Bob follows the Simpsons into witness protection), and "Lisa the Simpson" (Lisa fears she'll grow dumber as the "Simpson gene" grows stronger), among others.

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; December 3rd, 2007 at 3:00 am.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 1:27 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Cape Feare and the Prohibition episode are likely my two favorites. I especially like the rakes (recurring theme since then) in cape feare and the exchange:
Marge: "Homer, that's the cleverest thing you've ever done"
Lisa: "But Mom..."
Marge: "No, Lisa, it is, i've known your father for 15 years and this is by far the most clever thing he's ever done" (describing how they got the bootleg liquor to Mo's Tavern using the bowling balls).

*Starts humming "Spider Pig..."

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 2:23 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
Cape Feare and the Prohibition episode are likely my two favorites. I especially like the rakes (recurring theme since then) in cape feare and the exchange:
Marge: "Homer, that's the cleverest thing you've ever done"
Lisa: "But Mom..."
Marge: "No, Lisa, it is, i've known your father for 15 years and this is by far the most clever thing he's ever done" (describing how they got the bootleg liquor to Mo's Tavern using the bowling balls).

*Starts humming "Spider Pig..."
Ah, "Homer vs. the Eighteenth Amendment", another one of my top 20.

Here's my favorite line:
Homer: "To alcohol, the cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems".

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; December 3rd, 2007 at 2:25 am.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 2:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops View Post
This isn't just a thread to bash the show, right, because I still watch it, and actually I still enjoy it. Of course, the show's best years are behind it (season 8 is my particular favorite) but I still look forward to it every Sunday night (well, not tonight - I'm watching Prisoner of Azkaban on ABC Family right now).

Anyway, I've been a huge fan of "The Simpsons" for as long as I can remember. I have tons of merchandise (each season on DVD, three Homer-as-Santa talking doll thingys, Christmas ornaments of several characters, a Duff Beer clock, a Moe's Tavern coaster, etc. etc.), and I actually spent April 27th of this year (the 20th anniversary of the Simpsons' first appearance on "The Tracy Ullman Show") watching my 20 favorite episodes of the show. I'll list some here in the hopes of getting a conversation started: "Homer's Enemy" (featuring Frank "Grimey" Grimes), "You Only Move Twice" (Homer takes a job with Globex and walks straight into a James Bond movie), "Cape Feare" (Sideshow Bob follows the Simpsons into witness protection), and "Lisa the Simpson" (Lisa fears she'll grow dumber as the "Simpson gene" grows stronger), among others.
Nah, I still watch the show when I get the chance to myself. I like the "Treehouse of Horror" episodes the best though . Just love seeing the creativity that gets put into those episodes, plus I love to see the credits, both during the opening and the closing of the show itself -- they're a hoot !!

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Old December 3rd, 2007, 6:48 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
This isn't just a thread to bash the show, right?
No, of course not. I was only bashing it purely because i personally believe that it's gotten more and more rubbish down the line.

Of course, that didn't stop me from seeing the movie!

Do you love the Final Fantasy series, but have no-one to discuss it with? Then come and join http://forums.finalfantasyvii.info/index.php, a small friendly community where people are kind and helpful - much like CoS.

Old December 3rd, 2007, 2:21 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Yup, no bashing allowed . But noting that the quality of the show does appear to have slipped is fine. Being on the air for about 20 years does make it quite difficult to keep the same quality all 20

I'm also a fan of the Halloween episodes. Most of them are quite clever. The slide in the Burns mansion when he's a vampire is a classic

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 8:56 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

I haven't watched the Simpsons for a while, but it's great! You can always rely on it to give you some great laughs. Granted, the newer episodes aren't as funny as the older ones, but I guess that was always going to happen.

I don't have a particular favourite, but I do like the "Who killed Mr Burns" (or whatever it was called) episode

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old December 4th, 2007, 4:40 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

My favourite character is Lisa, but I also love Ralph Wiggum. I love the episode, Bart Star, where Lisa goes to join the football team:

Lisa: What position have you got for me?
(The kids gasps)
Lisa: That's right. A girl who wants to play football. How about that?
Flanders: Well, thats super-duper, Lisa. We've already got four girls on the team.
Lisa: You do?
Flanders: Uh huh. But we'd love to have you on board!
Lisa: Well...football's not really my thing. After all...what kind of civilized person would play a game with the skin of an innocent pig?!
Flanders: Well, actually, Lisa, these balls are synthetic!
Janey: And for every ball you buy, a dollar goes to Amnesty International!
Lisa: (Crying) I've gotta go!

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old December 4th, 2007, 4:47 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonyMagic View Post
Granted, the newer episodes aren't as funny as the older ones, but I guess that was always going to happen.
Sure, but I think for a show in it's 19th season it's doing pretty well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Druid View Post
Lisa: What position have you got for me?
(The kids gasps)
Lisa: That's right. A girl who wants to play football. How about that?
Flanders: Well, thats super-duper, Lisa. We've already got four girls on the team.
Lisa: You do?
Flanders: Uh huh. But we'd love to have you on board!
Lisa: Well...football's not really my thing. After all...what kind of civilized person would play a game with the skin of an innocent pig?!
Flanders: Well, actually, Lisa, these balls are synthetic!
Janey: And for every ball you buy, a dollar goes to Amnesty International!
Lisa: (Crying) I've gotta go!
You know, Mad_Druid, I'm not a huge fan of that episode but the quote you posted is my favorite line of the show. Great Lisa moment. I don't know if you've ever seen the episode in syndication or if it's the same where you are, but you know how over the end credits Homer proceeds to cut all the crew members like he had cut most of Bart's team? Well, where I am, whenever the episode is shown, the credits are shoved to the side (as usual) and Homer's voice is muted, therefore a very funny part is just cut. It really really got on my nerves. But now I have the DVD, so all is well.

Old December 4th, 2007, 5:30 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

Quote:
Sure, but I think for a show in it's 19th season it's doing pretty well.

You know, Mad_Druid, I'm not a huge fan of that episode but the quote you posted is my favorite line of the show. Great Lisa moment. I don't know if you've ever seen the episode in syndication or if it's the same where you are, but you know how over the end credits Homer proceeds to cut all the crew members like he had cut most of Bart's team? Well, where I am, whenever the episode is shown, the credits are shoved to the side (as usual) and Homer's voice is muted, therefore a very funny part is just cut. It really really got on my nerves. But now I have the DVD, so all is well.
It's not a stand out episode for me either, but that little exchange is just great
Where I am (Australia) they usually show a few seconds of it before it's pushed to the side and ads for other programmes are shown, and then if we're lucky we see a few seconds of it at the end. I have seen the whole thing though.

Old December 4th, 2007, 6:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
Yup, no bashing allowed . But noting that the quality of the show does appear to have slipped is fine. Being on the air for about 20 years does make it quite difficult to keep the same quality all 20

I'm also a fan of the Halloween episodes. Most of them are quite clever. The slide in the Burns mansion when he's a vampire is a classic
Yea they are, anyone remember the year when they did a Harry Potter parody... man that was hilarious !! But my overall favorite was the Halloween episode when Bart became Stretch Boy and Lisa became Clobber Girl. It had me in stitches .

Old December 4th, 2007, 6:06 pm
Seventh Year

Oh, Fawkesfan1, you named one of my favorite "Treehouse of Horror" segments. Stretch Dude and Clobber Girl, I love it! ("Desperately Xeeking Xena" is the actual title.) And yeah, I just watched "Wiz Kids" (the HP parody) again over this Halloween and I liked it; good, not great, IMO. You know when that first aired I knew what it was spoofing, but I had never seen or read Harry Potter (I was looking forward to the first film at that time, though), so I didn't really get it 'til my second viewing.

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; December 4th, 2007 at 6:24 pm.
Old December 4th, 2007, 9:35 pm
Sixth Year

I love The Simpsons. My fave Halloween episode is "The Shinning" where Homer goes crazy after having no TV and no beer. I also like the Christmas eps too. They're pretty cool.

Old December 4th, 2007, 9:49 pm
Fifth Year

Italian Bob is one of my favorite episodes. I liked Bob's most recent attempt on Bart's life too.

I like a lot of the recent episodes as much as the old episodes. I think one of the problems is that there are some real duds that make the whole season look bad.

Old December 4th, 2007, 10:24 pm
Seventh Year

I definatly have to agree that the Halloween ones are the best! Especially the one where Mr Burns was a vampire! In fact, that whole episode was one of the best one's i've seen.

Best normal episode? Where they go over to Britain, and Homer thinks that he's seen Mr Bean, when in fact, he's just met Tony Blair, the (former) PM.

Old December 5th, 2007, 6:39 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

I love when Lisa meets JKR in The Regina Monologues:

Lisa: Look! It's J.K. Rowling, author of the Harry Potter books! You've turned a generation of kids onto reading.
Rowling: Thank you, young muggle.
Lisa: Can you tell me what happens at the end of the series?
Rowling: He grows up and marries you. Is that what you want to hear?
Lisa:*sighs* Yes…

Old December 5th, 2007, 2:51 pm
Sixth Year

Yeah, that was hilarious. I also love the Ralph Wiggum moments. That kid just makes me laugh. He's so misunderstood.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television