Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

Castle

Old April 8th, 2009, 1:17 am
Sixth Year

Castle

So is anyone else watching Castle...?

I started watching because I'm a fan of Nathan Fillion. First saw him on "Two Guys and a Girl" He's just upbeat and fun. So it's nice to see him on tv again.

So with the show....I'm not really into the whole murder mystery bit, but this show is so quirky and fun that it takes the seriousness and gore away and isn't just a focus on murder. It's also very simple and I've found that in every episode so far, the person who did it is in the first segment. So it's predictable but it's light and funny, just the way I like things!

And the chemistry between he and Beckett is great. Tension is always the best formula for a show and they play it well. The actress does a great job too. I've never heard of her before, but she's been in some good stuff.

Hopefully this show gets picked up!

Old April 8th, 2009, 6:04 am
Curse Breaker

Re: Castle

This is actually the best chemistry between leads in a cop show--probably since Bobby and Diane on NYPD Blue. And the chemistry sizzles between Castle and Beckett where there isn't much more than a light burble on the new flight of Cupid. It feels like they took Rob Thomas's idea and flew it straight into the ground just because they could (and I love Sarah Paulson from her days on Studio 60). I can't think of a cop show this decade that matches it. It draws comparisons to Moonlighting, but the meat of that was watching the two supposed detectives flirt and fight while stumbling through cases while here both play off each other seamlessly and have complementary intellects. Maybe Moira Kirland just has the touch. She had a hand in creating the fictional DuBois marriage on Medium, maybe she just does partnerships well. Also, the solutions manage to be surprising and well considered.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old April 8th, 2009, 7:35 am
Fourth Year

I've been watching but I'm not hooked. I just get SO tired of the same old... cute guy says something quirky and cut to the shot of the female lead making a stupid facial expression!

It's not the best show I've ever seen, but it's a decent waste of 43 minutes!

Old April 8th, 2009, 3:23 pm
Sixth Year

Hey Jordmund! Good to see you here!

Yeah, it is always surprising how they work out who did it. I have come to always know it's one of the first few people they talk to, but who and how and why are usually a good mystery.

And of course Castle was going to get out Becketts mother's file. I just hope it doens't end up blowing up in his face. But the thing that I really like about his character is while at times he's a bit crude, he knows when to rein it in and when to hold back and let things be. There are so many times he could make a comment or interfere in some way, but he shows restraint. I really like that.

Old April 8th, 2009, 4:44 pm
Curse Breaker

Yeah, they play off one another well. And if this only gets one season--at least we have a direction for it, Castle working to solve Johanna's case.

Old April 8th, 2009, 5:33 pm
Formerly Known as 82

I've watched all five of the episodes. I think it's amusing and will have a decent run on the network but it doesn't stand out to me. I like the chemistry between the roles and some of the funny quips Castle come's up with. Still though, on the same coin I find the characters rather flat. Maybe all the show needs is a little time to round characters out *shrug*

I will continue to watch

Just here to mess with your brain, it's all very innocent I swear *Pokes*
Old April 8th, 2009, 6:27 pm
Registered Animagus

I've watched some of Castle because it comes on right after DWTS. It hasn't kept my eyes riveted to the screen, yet, and that's essential for a mystery series. I do like mysteries.

I like Castle, and I especially like his relationship with his mother and his daughter.

It seems like they are trying to be Bones and Boothe. Bones works because (forgetting the gory part) of the full cast of very quirky characters. Bones and Boothe don't have to carry the whole show.

Castle has potential. It just needs to find it's personality.

Old April 8th, 2009, 7:18 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desraelda View Post
I've watched some of Castle because it comes on right after DWTS. It hasn't kept my eyes riveted to the screen, yet, and that's essential for a mystery series. I do like mysteries.

I like Castle, and I especially like his relationship with his mother and his daughter.

It seems like they are trying to be Bones and Boothe. Bones works because (forgetting the gory part) of the full cast of very quirky characters. Bones and Boothe don't have to carry the whole show.

Castle has potential. It just needs to find it's personality.
I haven't seen it yet. But I have read an article about it in Tv guide (if I remember correctly) -- where it said that the two leads don't have that much chemistry and what not -- and it's nowhere near the chemistry that Booth and Brennan have. On a side note, I find that rather funny, since those two have NOWHERE near as much chemistry as Mulder and Scully had (and still do) -- which they were trying to copy/emulate. Bones still needs to find it's own personality as well.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend.

Looking forward to seeing Mulder and Scully again in the new X Files episodes!

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old April 8th, 2009, 7:40 pm
Fifth Year

Like Desraelda, the first time I watched it was just because it came on after DwtS and looked interesting. But mum, the bf, and I all liked it, and I like Nathan Fillion anyway (not enough to have watched The Starter Wife, though, lols).

We've watched every episode since.

Has Fillion ever been in movies, or is he just a tv actor so far? SageRacer (my bf) keeps thinking he's seen him on the silver screen, but I think he only recognizes him from all the Starter Wife commercials we saw last season.

"You don't ever have to feel guilty about removing toxic people from your life. It doesn't matter whether someone is a relative, romantic interest, employer, childhood friend, or a new acquaintance--You don't have to make room for people who cause you pain or make you feel small. It's one thing if a person owns up to their behavior and makes an effort to change. But if a person disregards your feelings, ignores your boundaries, and *continues* to treat you in a harmful way, they need to go."
~Danielle Koepke~
~~~ ~~~
Old April 9th, 2009, 1:34 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyraLovegood View Post
Like Desraelda, the first time I watched it was just because it came on after DwtS and looked interesting. But mum, the bf, and I all liked it, and I like Nathan Fillion anyway (not enough to have watched The Starter Wife, though, lols).

We've watched every episode since.

Has Fillion ever been in movies, or is he just a tv actor so far? SageRacer (my bf) keeps thinking he's seen him on the silver screen, but I think he only recognizes him from all the Starter Wife commercials we saw last season.
It looks like Fillion (from IMDB) has only been on TV, including Desperate Housewives and Buffy.

I like Boothe and Brennan. If they are pale imitations of Mulder and Scully, I'm going to have to start watching X-Files reruns.

Old April 9th, 2009, 7:12 am
Fourth Year

I saw Fillion in a movie called "The Waitress". That's the only reason I decided to give this show a try, cuz he's darn cute!

Old April 9th, 2009, 4:18 pm
Curse Breaker

Fillion is a Joss Wheedon veteran. Again, I don't think this is the best cop show in the last decade, I think it's got the best chemistry in the last decade. Some folks on here have said that Castle and Beckett are trying to be Bones and Boothe--I love Temperance and Seeley but I think Castle and Beckett have more chemistry and complement one another more seamlessly (not that Bones and Booth aren't natural or entertaining complements, but Castle and Beckett seem like they would be a solid cop partnership, tough to explain).

Old April 10th, 2009, 1:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desraelda View Post
It looks like Fillion (from IMDB) has only been on TV, including Desperate Housewives and Buffy.

I like Boothe and Brennan. If they are pale imitations of Mulder and Scully, I'm going to have to start watching X-Files reruns.
Ah -- I don't mind them either -- I grew up watching the X-Files... and Booth and Brennan are pale imitations from what I can tell. The chemistry between both David and Gillian (even though the acting wasn't good at times -- David Boreanaz and Emily Duchanel beat them there -- and David and Gillian got better with time and more practice) was just palpable -- and downright electric. And they still are... they were just incredible in I Want To Believe... it really just blew me away -- that all of that chemistry was still there -- in a new form... but still there. It was just breath taking .

The way that the characters looked at each other and stuff -- there's just nothing that can describe it. Booth and Brennan, while they do have some chemistry -- it just doesn't compare to Mulder and Scully's. The closest that I've seen was Amanda and Hodgins... now those two have a LOT of chemistry...

An example from the X-Files...

And I'm making sure to try to catch Castle when I can as well to see what it's all about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
Fillion is a Joss Wheedon veteran. Again, I don't think this is the best cop show in the last decade, I think it's got the best chemistry in the last decade. Some folks on here have said that Castle and Beckett are trying to be Bones and Boothe--I love Temperance and Seeley but I think Castle and Beckett have more chemistry and complement one another more seamlessly (not that Bones and Booth aren't natural or entertaining complements, but Castle and Beckett seem like they would be a solid cop partnership, tough to explain).
Ah interesting take there -- and definitely something for me to see for myself. Rob Bowman is just awesome... and he seems to have a good eye for camera work and what not -- so maybe he helped in terms of picking out the main actors for the show (the ones playing Castle and Beckett).

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Last edited by Hes; February 11th, 2012 at 10:08 pm.
Old April 10th, 2009, 2:46 am
Curse Breaker

I can see how the dynamic of Booth and Bones and by extension Castle and Beckett could be seen as an attempt to recreate the chemistry and professional bond of Mulder and Scully (and necessarily pale by comparison) but Mulder and Scully are about an almost-there intimacy that is physical but develops from a friendship. The crackle in Bones is similar--they both find one another attractive, but their bond is based on a long-standing friendship that deepens and enriches the attraction. It's more whimsical and a little more blatant than X-Files. In that way, it harkens back to the fight/flirting of Addison and Hayes on Moonlighting, though not so much as Castle and Beckett. Castle and Beckett are an Addison and Hayes parallel because the physical attraction is immediately apparent and it's the touchstone of their professional relationship that eventually grows into a frienship. Sort of the mirror image of Booth/Bones, Mulder/Scully. I prefer Castle to Moonlighting because the cases aren't as stupid, and because Castle and Beckett seem like a well-matched intellectual and intuitive pair for an investigative team (so much so that they can read each other's body languages and trains of thought after working together less than two months). It's a clean, efficient, entertaining symbiosis between nearly complete equals. There aren't really defined roles in the working relationship the way there are in X-Files or Bones. Somtimes Beckett picks something up, sometimes Castle does. Sometimes Beckett will teach Castle a new technique and he'll absorb it like a sponge. Sometimes he'll have a novel way of looking at something and she learns to apply it to her work quickly. It isn't master/novice, believer/non-believer, calculating scientist/intuitive investigator. They're both analytical, they're both intuitive. They serve as sounding boards for one another. This makes the show fun and interesting and accentuates the natural chemistry the two actors seem to have.

Old April 10th, 2009, 3:30 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzaranda View Post
I saw Fillion in a movie called "The Waitress"
Yeah, Fillion was in The Waitress and Serentiy. I've loved him since Firefly and he's hysterical in Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog.

I've been watching Castle each week. I tuned in for Fillion, but the show is interesting enough to keep me watching it. It's not the best show out there; I feel like I've seen many of their cases before (like the copycat thing in the pilot, which I understand was necessary to explain Castle's involvement with Beckett), but the characters are interesting enough to keep me tuning in. I was happy to see Castle looking into Becketts' mother's case file last week. I think a continuing plot line will make the show more interesting. I do like the relationship between Castle and his daughter, and I am also enjoying his relationship with Beckett. I think the show has potential; it just needs to find its legs.

Old April 13th, 2009, 8:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
I can see how the dynamic of Booth and Bones and by extension Castle and Beckett could be seen as an attempt to recreate the chemistry and professional bond of Mulder and Scully (and necessarily pale by comparison) but Mulder and Scully are about an almost-there intimacy that is physical but develops from a friendship. The crackle in Bones is similar--they both find one another attractive, but their bond is based on a long-standing friendship that deepens and enriches the attraction. It's more whimsical and a little more blatant than X-Files. In that way, it harkens back to the fight/flirting of Addison and Hayes on Moonlighting, though not so much as Castle and Beckett. Castle and Beckett are an Addison and Hayes parallel because the physical attraction is immediately apparent and it's the touchstone of their professional relationship that eventually grows into a frienship. Sort of the mirror image of Booth/Bones, Mulder/Scully. I prefer Castle to Moonlighting because the cases aren't as stupid, and because Castle and Beckett seem like a well-matched intellectual and intuitive pair for an investigative team (so much so that they can read each other's body languages and trains of thought after working together less than two months). It's a clean, efficient, entertaining symbiosis between nearly complete equals. There aren't really defined roles in the working relationship the way there are in X-Files or Bones. Somtimes Beckett picks something up, sometimes Castle does. Sometimes Beckett will teach Castle a new technique and he'll absorb it like a sponge. Sometimes he'll have a novel way of looking at something and she learns to apply it to her work quickly. It isn't master/novice, believer/non-believer, calculating scientist/intuitive investigator. They're both analytical, they're both intuitive. They serve as sounding boards for one another. This makes the show fun and interesting and accentuates the natural chemistry the two actors seem to have.
Ah I see... interesting points that you make there. I'll definitely have to check it out. Nice to see a new take on the chemistry thing.

Old April 14th, 2009, 6:46 pm
Fifth Year

I can't comment on the parallels, as I never watched the X-Files, and only watched a few episodes of Bones. From what I did watch, I thought Booth and Bones got together a little too soon.

I liked last night's episode, except for two things. First, there was not a hint going back to last week when Castle snicked the file on Beckett's mum. Second, I was afraid Castle's ex-wife showing up was going to skewer the show as badly as Stacey showing up ruined HouseMD for me back in 2005. I'm glad they closed that story arc by the end of the show, instead of keeping her around for half a season.

Also, while the vodoo thing was interesting, I'm a little about the lady who was Castle's source on the topic. "It's a peaceful religion about personal fulfillment, and it's supposed to be uplifting..." Sounds overly familiar to me. I'll probably get myself labelled as an intolerant Christian here, but I see a lot of things in vodoo that I find very disturbing, and that line about it being a peaceful religion reminds me of the mantra we hear when Muslim fascists blow people up. I know not all Muslims are terrorists or suicide bombers, and I doubt very much that all practitioners of vodoo perform ghastly satanic rituals with animal blood. But some do, and IMO that doesn't speak well of those religions as a whole. [/off-topic religious ranting]

"You don't ever have to feel guilty about removing toxic people from your life. It doesn't matter whether someone is a relative, romantic interest, employer, childhood friend, or a new acquaintance--You don't have to make room for people who cause you pain or make you feel small. It's one thing if a person owns up to their behavior and makes an effort to change. But if a person disregards your feelings, ignores your boundaries, and *continues* to treat you in a harmful way, they need to go."
~Danielle Koepke~
~~~ ~~~
Old April 14th, 2009, 6:51 pm
Curse Breaker

Er, you what say about Booth and Bones? It's nearly four seasons in and they aren't together yet. They have had, in total, one staged kiss. That's too fast? Is your standard for TV relationships JAG, Matlock,...or maybe Gunsmoke?

I was nonplussed by the Voodoo storyline but I liked the brush-off of Castle's ex and the Beckett/Castle interaction during the shootout.

About the radical jihadists--what about the Crusades, or more recently the KKK and other white pride associations that use the same sort of violence and claim Christian affiliation?[off-topic light rejoinder]

Last edited by jordmundt6; April 14th, 2009 at 11:06 pm.
Old April 14th, 2009, 7:24 pm
Fifth Year

Wha'? I saw a partial show (or maybe a commercial) in the middle of Season 1 and it looked like they had hooked up as a couple. I must have misinterpreted something.

And I already feel I said too much about religion in the television forum, and should head for the MoM's Office of the Spirit Division for such discussion.

~Danielle Koepke~
~~~ ~~~
Old April 14th, 2009, 9:21 pm
Sixth Year

So not getting into a religion debate here! Take it to The Office of the Spirit division guys! Really not the place....
I didn't really care about the whole vodoo thing. It was just a part of the story. Just part of the plot of the murders.
But I did think that the writers changed or something because it had a different feel than the others past. It was a little more mature. Well, definitely mature with the useless sex in the beginning. I just hate it when shows do that! So unnecessary! But really the whole feel of it was not as fun. Maybe they just tried to make it fun with the ex sowing up, but she was just annoying and in the way.
And yeah, they didn't have anything more with Beckett's moms' case. I hope that they go back to that soon and that they get back on track with Castle and Beckett getting to know each other better. Hmm... I think that was another thing different, they weren't at each others throats so much. They were really comfortable together.
Don't get me wrong though I did like it a lot, it was just a bit different.
I loved that the mystery wasn't obvious like it has always been. It was nicely played with no initial clue as to who done it.