Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

HBP: Hardest scene to watch

Old March 23rd, 2011, 7:23 pm
First Year

Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

The scene where Snape kills Dumbledore. The combination of, "Severus, please" and the way Snape's voice trembles when he casts the curse is heartbreaking.

Also afterward where Harry is crying over Dumbledore's body and everyone raises their wands in rememberance. Gets me every time.

"I saw this dude, he was wearing a leather jacket, and at the same time he was eating a hamburger and drinking a glass of milk. I said to him 'Dude, you're a cow. The metamorphosis is complete. Don't fall asleep or I'll tip you over.'" -Mitch Hedberg
Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2011, 10:51 pm
Second Year

Hmm I'd say the scene when Harry goes after Snape after he AK's Dumbledore, and Harry yells at him while Snape... just stands there. Definitely the hardest to watch, because it was so horrible!

Really now, the seen that affected me emotionally would have to be when DD is drinking that horrid potion in the cave scene. I'd be a fool if I said that didn't affect me.

Draco @ the Astronomy Tower with DD was just heartbreaking. I could feel his angst, it was that palpable.

Oh and I suppose when Slughorn is describing to Harry the whole fish story and it's correlation with Lily. Beautiful scene, IMO.

Last edited by slytherin001; March 28th, 2011 at 8:44 pm.
Old April 27th, 2011, 3:20 am
Fourth Year

Probably all the scenes/lines that had to do with the Harry and Ginny relationship (by contrast, I really liked Ginny and their relationship in the books), because they were so awkward and silly that as the movie went on, it was becoming more and more clear that the filmmakers had not gotten it right at all. I remember thinking "Oh no, not another one" later in the film, whenever the two characters would be in the same room and some interaction between them was apparently about to take place.

Not as terrible, but the scene of Harry in the diner/cafe with that waitress. For a second I thought "Oh no, some impostor is obviously Polyjuiced as Harry!" Heh.

Hardest scene to watch from an emotional perspective was probably the one of Dumbledore having to drink that potion in the cave; very chilling.

"You need your Inner Eye tested, if you ask me.
" - Ron Weasley

"I don't know where you learned about right and wrong, but you
seem to have missed a few crucial lessons." - Molly Weasley
Old April 27th, 2011, 3:25 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I didn't like the Inferi climbing out of the lake and going after Harry. but then we see the ring of fire and it's Dumbledore to the rescue.
I also didn't like the Burrow burning, considering in the book it was Hagrid's hut that was burning.

Old April 30th, 2011, 12:16 am
Fourth Year

I think it's interesting that most everyone (not quite everyone, but close) dislikes the Harry-Ginny scenes because they're awkward. In my opinion that's what gives them a bit of realism. I thought the shoelace scene--though it's not a fantastic bit--was just fine, because kids (and adults, too, at times!) deflect when they're feeling unsure, and these two are certainly feeling unsure. I feel similarly about the RoR scene. It's awkward because these two kids--Barty, they're just kids!--are nervous as hell. The actors probably felt a bit the same way.

I also have little problem with any of the non-canon stuff. They're making films, not translating the books. They get to show Harry being escapist and reckless with the scene in the Underground. I thought the girl was a bit unappealing, but that's personal preference (ehh, that hair).

One reason I don't have much problem with non-canon stuff is that I don't think the canon is always all that. There are times when Jo's writing is quite sublime, but there are others when I just think, you know, all this winking and nudging is giving me quite the rib-ache. I realize this is, at least nominally, a children's series, but there are so many times when Jo expresses a character's feeling via some putatively oblique gesture (like studiously not looking at someone, say) that is about as subtle as a Wilhelm scream (q.v.). Once in a while, maybe, she should have just played it straight, just for kicks.

An example of this from the films is Ron and Hermione's rather pointed refusal to embrace at the end of CoS. I don't remember if it's canon or not, but I rolled my eyes a bit at that. But it's not cringeworthy, really--just winceworthy, or something like that.

As for hard to watch because it was emotional, the only scene in the entire series that is like that for me is Amos Diggory's anguish over the death of his son. I won't say it was a tremendously challenging scene because I do think there are quite a few ways to do it right, but it was done right. And it is truly hard to watch--at least, I think it's hard to watch for anyone who has kids.

I can also only remember one scene that I cringe at because I think it's badly done; it's the "he was their friend" scene from PoA. It's just a bit too overwrought. Maybe it's because Radcliffe isn't a good scene-chewer, but it simply didn't ring true.

Nothing from HBP hit either of these heights (or depths) for me.

Old April 30th, 2011, 11:51 am
Second Year

The deathly hallows scene. It was well done and creative but SCARY. I admire the talent but into it but it was very creepy in the style and of course the subject matter.

The dance between Harry and Hermione in the tent I find a little cheesy too. I get sorta embarrassed watching.

Old April 30th, 2011, 12:45 pm
Fourth Year

I'd have to say the Harry/Ginny kiss. I would say Dumbledore's death, but I think I was more prepared for that.
However, the kiss was unbelievably uncomfortable for me. It's a combination of the awkwardness of the scene and my own envy of Daniel Radcliffe. I mean, come on--Bonnie Wright.

"And Mary and Joseph went to Bethlehem, and Mary, who was great with child, rode a donkey, except the donkey actually ran away during rehearsals....so she in fact arrived on a small, motorized lawnmower."
Old May 1st, 2011, 7:36 am
Sixth Year

I really liked HBP as a movie. All by itself. It's a good movie. I think better than DH1. But there are moments like the snape/dumbldore ending that bother me a lot. I felt the death of Dumbldore was too ambiguous.

Old July 15th, 2011, 12:36 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTung View Post
As for hard to watch because it was emotional, the only scene in the entire series that is like that for me is Amos Diggory's anguish over the death of his son. I won't say it was a tremendously challenging scene because I do think there are quite a few ways to do it right, but it was done right. And it is truly hard to watch--at least, I think it's hard to watch for anyone who has kids.
I forgot about a late moment in Part 1: I thought Harry's desperation when he first finds Bellatrix's knife sticking out of Dobby was very well done and an indication of his maturation as an actor. And also Hermione casting Obliviate (rather than a memory charm) on her parents--pretty wrenching for a parent. So I guess that makes three emotionally hard-to-watch scenes.

Last edited by BrianTung; July 15th, 2011 at 12:38 am.
Old July 15th, 2011, 1:44 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_snuffles View Post
I would have to say the hardest one for me to watch was when Dumbldore was drinking the potion in the cave to get the Horcrux. He was in so much pain, and seeing Dumbledore so vulnerable was just really hard to watch.
I have to agree with the OP's example. This scene was just so 100% on-par with the book, it was like watching it come to life. It was very hard to watch because I remember feeling all of that pain and fear while reading.

Incredibly well-done scene. *shudders*

Thank you, COS, for the last 16 years. Im so happy to see youre still around.
Old July 15th, 2011, 9:36 am
First Year

Definitely Dumbledore's death scene - the way he said "Severus, please" was heart-breaking. Snape's slight trembling over the words Avada Kedavra and his expression afterwards was even more heart-wrenching. Alan Rickman is the master of subtlety.

The scene afterwards where Harry chases Snape and tries to incapacitate him was really hard to watch as well. They played the soundtrack "In Noctem", and it was so mysteriously emotional watching Snape swoop away with Harry trembling on the floor with that track playing (AAAAAAAAARGH I WISH THEY LEFT IN THE DELETED SCENE WHERE THEY PLAY IN NOCTEM )

Lavender and Ron's scenes were kinda hard to watch at times because it was so nauseatingly lovey-dovey. XD

Old July 16th, 2011, 8:17 am
First Year

Def in the cave with Dumbledore drinking the liquid...and hmm...also when Tom Riddle is asking about the Horcruxes, something about that always gets me - even from reading the books. It just makes me hate him so much more!

P.S. I just finished rewatching HBP lol

Old July 16th, 2011, 9:53 am
Banned

The entire film was excrutating to watch. Worst...adaption...ever. I say this as someone who endured both 'The Golden Compass' and 'The Scarlet Letter' and thought they could have been worse.

Old July 16th, 2011, 10:56 am
Second Year

The sectumsempra scene. Briliantly done, it was, and precisely the reason why it's so painful to watch.

Also, after the 'Severus...Please' scene when Severus says, 'You dare use my own spell against me, Potter. Yes... I'm the half...blood....prince'
Rewatching that scene knowing what must be going on in Severus' mind at that moment is really difficult.

Old July 18th, 2011, 12:30 am
Second Year

I agree with some of these, most notably Dumbledore drinking the potion and that pointless intro scene between Harry and the waitress.

As for one that hasn't been brought up yet: The cursing of Katie Bell--not because it wasn't well done but because it was remarkably well done! Credit to the actress on this one: She has this distinctly crazed look in her eye as she levitates and screams that adds a dimension to the agony of the curse before suddenly crashing to the ground in a (nearly) dead heap. It made an otherwise throwaway scene more memorable...and harder to watch because of how vivid it was. IMO.

My ongoing choose-your-adventure story:

The Potter Games: Endgame
Old July 18th, 2011, 2:23 am
Second Year

I can't watch the part in the cave when Harry is grabbed by the inferi. It just freaks me out.

Edit* And I forgot that I hate the scene where the Weasleys' house is burned. It seems pointless to me.

Old July 18th, 2011, 3:05 am
Seventh Year

I don't like the scene where the Burrows was torched. Total waste of time when they could have been focusing on something else more important.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, After all this time?
And I will say, Always.
- source unknown
Old July 18th, 2011, 2:08 pm
First Year

Re: Hardest scene to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
But in terms of overall... the whole first scene -- as funny as it was -- was rather hard to watch -- since I was hoping for Dumbledore to pick up Harry at the Dursley's -- but that's for another thread . As much as I didn't mind it -- I just thought it was rather out of canon... so in a way, it was hard to watch.
Absolutely. I was really shocked by how drastically they decided to change that scene. It felt odd and misplaced much like Bellatrix's appearance at The Burrow. I don't like huge alterations to the storyline.

There are two ways of spreading light:
to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton
Old July 18th, 2011, 8:36 pm
First Year

Watching Amos Diggory's reaction to Cedric's death brought tears to my eyes after watching it again for the first time in years. Also, when Hermione Obiviates here parents' memories, and you see every trace of her existence vanish. Although, it was rather convenient how they had their backs turned so patiently while Hermione gathered up the strength to enchant them.
I also agree that the kissing scenes are difficult to watch, primarily due to how massively awkward they all are. Though, I have to say I find most kissing scenes in any movie to be awkward, but these ones were more so.

Deathly Hallows was also extremely hard to watch, because I was always on the edge.

Old July 18th, 2011, 11:26 pm
First Year

I thought this was about HBP... Anyways, probably Harry/Ginny scenes they were so awkward and poorly done.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies