Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Things that bothered you about the final film

Old July 17th, 2011, 10:33 pm
First Year

Re: Things that bothered you about the final film

I remember this part that really bothered me the minute I saw in on the movie on the midnight premiere. When Voldemort and the DE's entered the hogwarts grounds and they were standing on one side and the "good" side on the other one? When Neville stepped up to Voldemort he was clearly being mocked like the loser he supposedly was, the loser who didn't have anything to contribute with, who just took up a spot and wasn't good for anything, and when the DE's were blatantly laughing at him... in the books though, he was mocked yet again, but in a honourable way that showed how obsessed Voldemort was with the whole pure blood issue, and how he showed that he was dependant on his supporters. It just annoyed me because it'd be so easy to portray in the movies, and yet... they didn't do it.

Proud to be a ravey Ravenclaw.
Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2011, 10:33 pm
First Year

why did they cut out the "why do you live?" scene?

in one of the hp trailers, it shows a scene of voldemort saying "why do you live?" and harry says "because i have something worth living for." why did they cut that scene out of the movie? i wanted to see it!

Old July 17th, 2011, 10:35 pm
Second Year

I didn't mean that he turned into a bat, I meant that Snape was a powerful wizard and not a common Death Eater, which (in the movies) turn into black smoke. It would've been better in my opinion if they really tried to show the audience that Snape was powerful and was able to fly, without turning into black smoke.

One thing I didn't like about the audience when I watched the premiere was the fact that it seemed in my opinion like the fans tried really hard to cry the loudest. It felt like they wanted the the others to know that they were crying, and simply didn't only cry because of the dramatic scenes. I respect that people were crying, but it just felt more like 'It feels like I'm much more of a Potter fan if my cry is really loud'

MidnightQuill

Last edited by Potion; July 17th, 2011 at 10:37 pm.
Old July 17th, 2011, 10:35 pm
First Year

for people who didn't like how much of the battle was cut out, i have some good news! i heard somewhere that on the dvd extras there will be more battle scenes.

Old July 17th, 2011, 10:38 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucc View Post
Well, based on your great works and the many discussions, we did conclude that it was going to be a frantic, hyperkinetic movie. Perfect for the summer crowd.

Many thing that should have been left out were (blood, DD's story) and what they did include would go by in flash. To many moviegoers, DH1 dragged but that wasn't going to be acceptable this time around.
The film was very frantic for certain. It is just even though you know every scene before you see the film you still think that they are going to slow it down a little with good dialogue and good solid wrap up. I mean this is the last one. I just didn't think they did that.

Old July 17th, 2011, 11:08 pm
First Year

For people complaining that Snape came across looking like a saint in this film, remember that these were Snape's memories that Harry is experiencing in the Pensieve. It's totally expected that they should reflect Snape in a good light. If we saw James' memories, I'm sure we'd get a different view of things.

What do you all think about using Snape's tears for the collection of the memories instead of smoky wisps flying out of his head?

I liked it. I think the tears are much more symbolic for Snape's love and loss for Lily.

I liked Minerva saying she always wanted to do that spell when she conjured the statues to life to protect the castle. Since we didn't get to see her yell "Charge!" to a whole group of animated desks and whatnot, I felt she got a good line in anyway.

I think the most important lines that were cut from the film had to do with Harry telling Voldemort that the only way he could save himself now was to try a little remorse. That was a very key part to the whole horcrux lore. It should have been kept for the film.

And the final battle between Harry and Voldemort should have been witnessed by the whole crowd present at Hogwarts. This was it. The major event of the entire series. All the major characters who didn't die yet should have been there to witness. To cheer for Harry. To have closure.

Old July 17th, 2011, 11:50 pm
Second Year

I agree with many of these, but here's one no one's brought up yet:

Snow in Hogsmeade.

Every time we've seen Hogsmeade in the films (dating back to HP3) it's always covered in snow. This makes sense in HP3-6 since it's during the wintertime when the students go to visit.

But in Deathly Hallows? It's May 1! Granted, I know Britain has a much cooler climate than where I'm from (South Carolina), but I'm pretty sure even in the UK snow in May is extremely rare. And even if we grant that the area suffered a severe cold snap that particular day, it still doesn't explain why Hogwarts (just a stone's throw away) doesn't have an ounce of snow or ice anywhere in sight.

It just smacked of laziness on the producers' part.

My ongoing choose-your-adventure story:

The Potter Games: Endgame
Old July 18th, 2011, 12:13 am
Third Year

To tell you the truth nothing really bothered me. Although I do wish they could have shown Fred's death scene, loved Ron crying over him. Gets me every time (cries)

{Magnolia class 0f 2010}
Ron & Hermione Forever
Old July 18th, 2011, 12:16 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldyisnoseless View Post
for people who didn't like how much of the battle was cut out, i have some good news! i heard somewhere that on the dvd extras there will be more battle scenes.
Where did you hear this?

Old July 18th, 2011, 1:00 am
First Year

The scenes that bothered me the most were Fred's off-screen death and important pieces of the final battle missing. I feel, as others have been saying, that the crowd should have been present during the final Voldemort/Harry battle. I missed Harry calling him "Tom" as well as explaining what he now knew. It also bothered me that no one really said anything after the battle was through. I'm glad they didn't have an extravagant celebration, but a little acknowledgment towards Voldemort's defeat would have been nice. Other than these, I thought the film was brilliant!

"For him?” shouted Snape. “Expecto Patronum!” From the tip of his wand burst the silver doe: She landed on the office floor, bounded once across the office, and soared out of the window. Dumbledore watched her fly away, and as her silvery glow faded he turned back to Snape, and his eyes were full of tears. “After all this time?” “Always,” said Snape.

Pottermore - PhoenixFirebolt52
Old July 18th, 2011, 1:10 am
First Year

There isn't much that bothered me in the movie...but there were a few things that irked me.

1. No Teddy Lupin??? Other than Tonks beginning to tell Harry about being pregnant in part 1 (before being interrupted) there is no mention of the baby until Harry goes into the forest.

2. Not enough Severus & Lily memories. This was the part I was looking forward to the most and I was really disappointed. It didn't go through the depth of their friendship or what brought it to an end.

3. The part where Harry grabs on to Voldemort and they fall from the castle. I saw no point in that.

4. The epilogue. Once again, no Teddy. I think they could have done a lot more than they did and they didn't age Ginny well, she looked like a little girl playing mommy.

Other than that I can live with everything else. Sure there was other stuff that made me go "meh" but didn't really bother me.

On a scale of one to Voldemort, how awkward are your hugs?

Old July 18th, 2011, 1:15 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carne View Post
1. The nice buildup to the battle, but then it just fell completely flat. We got like 2 minutes of actual chaos, while the rest was just the trio and Neville. Where was all the other duels? Where was Hagrid throwing Death Eaters? Why was so much cut?

Someone mentioned Fred and George nodding at Percy in some video, could I have a link to that?
Here is the video of the Fred and George nodding at Percy its towards the end of the video enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfpJ66MVTug

also ive heard they did shoot a whole heap of battles with the kids apparently there was a fight with seamus and neville that was never put in and also seamus doing pyro or something. im not sure if any of this will be on the dvd but hopefully it will be

Old July 18th, 2011, 1:16 am
Seventh Year

The scenes where Voldemort, Bellatrix, and Nagini just split into pieces bothered me until i realized they were probably trying to avoid an R rating. Same with Lavender's death not being gory, and how Snape being bitten by Nagini was not shown directly.

I wish they'd kept the final Harry vs. Voldemort battle like it was in the book. If they had, they could have kept the intensity, as well as everyone's excitement when Harry was victorious, instead of that scene when people half smiled at Harry when he walked through Hogwarts. I thought the ending was flat.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, “After all this time?
And I will say, “Always.
- source unknown
Old July 18th, 2011, 1:19 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryLore View Post
The scenes where Voldemort, Bellatrix, and Nagini just split into pieces bothered me until i realized they were probably trying to avoid an R rating. Same with Lavender's death not being gory, and how Snape being bitten by Nagini was not shown directly.
I doubt that was the reason, if it had been surely they wouldn't have shown Voldemort walking through puddles of blood and various dead bodies.

Old July 18th, 2011, 1:30 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAC View Post
I doubt that was the reason, if it had been surely they wouldn't have shown Voldemort walking through puddles of blood and various dead bodies.
Yes - but they didn't really show graphic close ups of those dead bodies. They were mostly shown from a distance. The dead people they did show up close, like Lavender, had no blood on them. Even dead Snape was bloodless (although they showed some blood while he was dying, but even that - based on his injury - was minimal).

They went as far as they could and not get the R rating, I believe.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, “After all this time?
And I will say, “Always.
- source unknown
Old July 18th, 2011, 1:58 am
Second Year

The thing that bothered me the most about the movie was the "Harry is dead" scene. In the book, Neville gets to be epic, and say "I'll join you when Hell freezes over!", and "Dumbledore's Army!" and then slice off the snake's head. It's one of my favorite scenes in the book overall, and I was really looking forward to it. To me, it's Neville's crowning moment, and what makes him so amazing. But in the movie, he says this sappy speech and Voldemort hugs Draco. What? I know they had to change certain scenes for movie purposes, and I can accept that, but I don't understand why they thought the movie scene would be better than the book scene in this case.

Old July 18th, 2011, 2:49 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryLore View Post
Yes - but they didn't really show graphic close ups of those dead bodies. They were mostly shown from a distance. The dead people they did show up close, like Lavender, had no blood on them. Even dead Snape was bloodless (although they showed some blood while he was dying, but even that - based on his injury - was minimal).

They went as far as they could and not get the R rating, I believe.
i think so to. i head somewhere before the movie was released to the public, the suits of armor mcgonnagal transfigured stabbed death eaters but i didn't see any of that in the film. i only saw them stab 1 giant

Old July 18th, 2011, 3:04 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 624 View Post
The number one far and away thing that bothered me the most was no reaction/witnesses to Voldemort's death. The entire 8 movies built up to that point and it had no reaction. It doesn't make any sense.
Didn't even see this thread, I've been posting my disappointment in this in the discussion thread.. I think for me too, I could excuse everything else except that there are no witnesses to Voldie's death. Drives me crazy!

Old July 18th, 2011, 3:19 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew View Post

Snow in Hogsmeade.

Every time we've seen Hogsmeade in the films (dating back to HP3) it's always covered in snow. This makes sense in HP3-6 since it's during the wintertime when the students go to visit.

But in Deathly Hallows? It's May 1! Granted, I know Britain has a much cooler climate than where I'm from (South Carolina), but I'm pretty sure even in the UK snow in May is extremely rare. And even if we grant that the area suffered a severe cold snap that particular day, it still doesn't explain why Hogwarts (just a stone's throw away) doesn't have an ounce of snow or ice anywhere in sight.

Oh hello, Rew! To be honest, i didnt even notice that! Next time i see the film, ill have to keep an eye out for that.

Quote:
and how Snape being bitten by Nagini was not shown directly.
Im really glad that wasnt present!

Pottermore: PatronusBat
Please do not add me on Pottermore without owling me first! Or else my wand will speak for me!
Old July 18th, 2011, 4:01 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew View Post

Snow in Hogsmeade.

I've mentioned this before too. Hogsmeade is walking distance from Hogwarts and is completely snowed in, but Hogswart seems just average, with no snow and no snow on the mountains. I think the director just felt we wouldn't recognize Hogsmeade without snow.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies