Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Is there anything in the movies that you like more than in the books?

Old February 16th, 2012, 8:49 pm
Seventh Year

Re: Is there anything in the movies that you like more than in the books?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJPotter View Post
There was one scen in HBP that I found very well done. The scene where Katie Bell is cursed with the necklace. That one scene made me want to take Draco and kick him a long way off a very short pier. How anyone could look at that scene and think that Draco did not mean to do very serious injury just boggles my mind.
Yes! That was very well depicted! Very impactful in the film, especially the way they shot her with her eyes wide open and screaming - creepy!

While on the subject of HBP, I'm not a huge fan of the film in general since I think it lost focus (or rather focused on the wrong thing) but I did like the Slug Club party scene where Hermione is running from McClaggon or whomever she brings to PO Ron - her eating those hor'dourves then running away, then McClaggon eating them, then Snape interrupting McClaggon and Harry and McClaggon throwing up on Snape's shoes....

I thought it was funny.

And i liked Emma's dress a lot

Old February 18th, 2012, 5:49 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
The Time Travel in PoA is easier to follow in the movie than in the books. I do wish Rowling had written it the movie way.

I'm probably the only person in the world who likes the little dance scene in DH 1 between Hermione and Harry. It reminds of me times when I'm sad and someone tries to make me laugh. Harry's trying to cheer Hermione up. It also lets the two know while they are alone they have each other (I do wish they'd chosen a wizarding song to play instead of a Muggle one, though). I do see it as a brotherly thing to do.
I did actually like that scene, and the fact that they used a Nick Cave song is in many ways great. Although I do think that they probably ought to have chosen a song from 1998, than again the movies weren't very clear cut on what era it was (minus the Eye and the Millenium Bridge, I guess it could be argued that it was earlier) especially since we see certain facts of it; the Riddles' grave are marked as 1943, the Potters grave marked as 1981.

The scene where Harry is possessed is one of the most poignant ones I can think of from the earlier movies. I truly loved "The Prince's Tales" and the way that the memories are shown.

Old February 18th, 2012, 9:42 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Another thing I wish had been in the books: Neville and Luna. I got a real kick out of that in DH 2. NL/LL have been a popular fanfic 'ship for quite a while.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old February 21st, 2012, 8:11 am
Second Year

It would have to be Voldemort's return. The cemetary, cauldron and general spookiness was right there whereas in the book it was hard to imagine what he looked like although it was quite spooky to read it.

Old February 21st, 2012, 8:42 am
First Year

I loved the scene in the Great Hall in DH P2 when Snape calls all the students in and Harry confronts him. I think that scene was done very well. That is one of my favorite scenes in the whole series. I also loved the duel between Dumbledore and LV in the OotP, but I also loved it in the book as well

Old February 21st, 2012, 11:25 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJPotter View Post
I think the thing with the wands was sentimental garbage, but then I'm fairly cynical.
The books can be sentimental and contrived, as well, in a few places. IMO.

I prefer the movie Epilogue to the book Epilogue. OK, the film version attracted a few titters from my audience because of the young actors being made up to look like thirtysomethings. But Dan was excellent as thirtysomething Harry, and his interaction with little Albus Severus was a joy. The film version also eliminated nine year old Lily Potter's cringe-inducing dialogue about Teddy. (What nine year old talks like that?!)

Quote:
There was one scene in HBP that I found very well done. The scene where Katie Bell is cursed with the necklace.
Yep, that was good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
The Time Travel in PoA is easier to follow in the movie than in the books. I do wish Rowling had written it the movie way.
This sequence is one of the best in the entire film franchise. And one of the best time-travelling sequences ever done, to boot.

Quote:
I'm probably the only person in the world who likes the little dance scene in DH 1 between Hermione and Harry. It reminds of me times when I'm sad and someone tries to make me laugh. Harry's trying to cheer Hermione up. It also lets the two know while they are alone they have each other (I do wish they'd chosen a wizarding song to play instead of a Muggle one, though). I do see it as a brotherly thing to do.
Heh. I'm with you, Leah! I like to defend it mainly because the level of hate it attracts is beyond my comprehension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechosenone92 View Post
I loved the scene in the Great Hall in DH P2 when Snape calls all the students in and Harry confronts him. I think that scene was done very well. That is one of my favorite scenes in the whole series.
Oh yes, I loved that. Made up for the lack of a Snape/Harry confrontation in canon!

Old February 27th, 2012, 6:15 pm
First Year

I remembered another one I like. In GoF when fake Moody turns Draco into a ferret and McGonagall comes and asks "Is that a student?" and Moody answers "Technically, it's a ferret". I think that particular scene shows Moody's character better that the scene in the book does.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old who is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed be the blade that was broken: The crownless again shall be king.
Old February 27th, 2012, 6:23 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
I prefer the movie Epilogue to the book Epilogue. OK, the film version attracted a few titters from my audience because of the young actors being made up to look like thirtysomethings. But Dan was excellent as thirtysomething Harry, and his interaction with little Albus Severus was a joy. The film version also eliminated nine year old Lily Potter's cringe-inducing dialogue about Teddy. (What nine year old talks like that?!)
That was James, not Lily.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
Old February 28th, 2012, 10:00 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
That was James, not Lily.
Oh, I didn't mind James's dialogue about Teddy snogging Victoire: that was quite funny. No, it was young Lily going on about how 'lovely it would be if Teddy really did become part of the family' which jarred me, because it made her sound like a much older person, rather than a nine year old child.

JMO.

Old February 28th, 2012, 8:19 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
Oh, I didn't mind James's dialogue about Teddy snogging Victoire: that was quite funny. No, it was young Lily going on about how 'lovely it would be if Teddy really did become part of the family' which jarred me, because it made her sound like a much older person, rather than a nine year old child.

JMO.
My bad, I didn't read far enough! Sorry!

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

Last edited by snapes_witch; March 12th, 2012 at 8:55 am.
Old March 12th, 2012, 4:26 am
First Year

I loved the "dance" between Harry and Hermione in Deathly Hallows. And NO, that's not from a shipping standpoint; I fully support Harry/Ginny and Ron/Hermione. I saw it as a cute "brother tries to cheer up sister" thing.

Old March 12th, 2012, 8:03 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermione4788 View Post
I loved the "dance" between Harry and Hermione in Deathly Hallows. And NO, that's not from a shipping standpoint; I fully support Harry/Ginny and Ron/Hermione. I saw it as a cute "brother tries to cheer up sister" thing.
If it was supposed to be that cute moment why did the Director tell them to act as if there was "something between them"?

Old March 12th, 2012, 8:56 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglepot View Post
If it was supposed to be that cute moment why did the Director tell them to act as if there was "something between them"?
I wasn't aware that he had!

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
Old March 12th, 2012, 11:05 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
I wasn't aware that he had!
I don't have the quote to hand, but we were discussing it on the DH1 movie thread and it was moved to a separate thread. "That Scene", I think it was called. I'm sure you could find the link to the quote if you found those threads.

The Director told them to think and act as if something could have happened between them.
This is another reason why I hate this scene. It is so uncanon and so out of character for Harry.

Old March 13th, 2012, 3:01 am
First Year

Those are some very interesting ideas. I like it. Thus, here are some of my own ideas that I liked in the movies better than in the books:

1)I liked how the trio went to the Quidditch World Cup in GOF with the Weasley family and another number of people.

2)I especially enjoyed watching Hermione Granger walking down the steps in her purple dress in GOF. And last but not least

3) It was quiet touching to see the ending of the Deathly Hallows Part II at the end when Harry and his family were together at platform 9 3/4 quarters.

Knowledge is power

Proud supporter of Hermione Granger aka Emma Watson

Proud member of the Ravenclaw House.

Proud to be White and Nerdy.
Old March 13th, 2012, 4:51 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrm4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYsw8QruXGg

this is new and after hearing david and emma's comments on the dance, i don't know how anyone can defend that the dance is simply platonic. it's clearly not at all suppose to be just that. david yates even says the most important part is at the end when they almost kiss but don't. he even has that huge grin on his face.

it's actually a bit insulting that 1 minute after hermione tells ron that "it's nothing," she is then "easily" almost kissing harry. such a pointless scene.
I found one of the references to the quote about the dance scene.

Old March 13th, 2012, 6:30 pm
Second Year

You are of course entitled to dislike anything you like about the movies, snugglepot, but in defense of the creators I'd like to say that the scene wasn't meant to cause the audience to ship Harry/Hermione. They just needed a scene to fill the dramatic void between the scene where Ron leaves and Godric's Hollow. The book mostly has Harry's ruminations and you can't film that. The movies plays with the idea of what it means that Harry and Hermione are now stuck with each other. They may never see Ron ever again. They have to deal with this. It takes a little longer in the book, but their relationship gains strength after Godric's Hollow and The Life and Lies about Albus Dumbledore. JKR herself said "it could have gone this way". The irony is that Ron himself almost caused the very thing he was afraid to happen. But in both versions it didn't, because Ron did come back. If the audience at this point didn't want Ron to come back, then the movie would have ideed failed. But I haven't heard anyone complain about that yet.

Old March 13th, 2012, 8:57 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martok View Post
You are of course entitled to dislike anything you like about the movies, snugglepot, but in defense of the creators I'd like to say that the scene wasn't meant to cause the audience to ship Harry/Hermione. They just needed a scene to fill the dramatic void between the scene where Ron leaves and Godric's Hollow. The book mostly has Harry's ruminations and you can't film that. The movies plays with the idea of what it means that Harry and Hermione are now stuck with each other. They may never see Ron ever again. They have to deal with this. It takes a little longer in the book, but their relationship gains strength after Godric's Hollow and The Life and Lies about Albus Dumbledore. JKR herself said "it could have gone this way". The irony is that Ron himself almost caused the very thing he was afraid to happen. But in both versions it didn't, because Ron did come back. If the audience at this point didn't want Ron to come back, then the movie would have ideed failed. But I haven't heard anyone complain about that yet.
Yes, I am entitled to dislike whatever I do, and it seems to me that people go out of their way to defend this scene with all sorts or psychological waffle that wasn't needed in the book. The book makes it clear. Harry did not bother trying to comfort Hermione because that's how Canon Harry is. He was consumed with guilt over his words leading to Ron's departure and all he did was watch Ginny's dot on the Map.
That's right, Ginny, the girl he is in love with! Why didn't the movie have a scene with Harry thinking about Ginny and looking at her dot?
Why didn't they use a scene of Hary and Hermione discussing something from the book about Dumbledore, please anything but that dance!

Plus, those words of Jo's, I believe, were made after a "discussion" with known Hermione lover and H/Hr shipper Steve Kloves. From what I understand he was going on and on about H/Hr in the time when Ron left pointing out stuff until, finally, Jo gave in and said "OK, have it your way, yes it might have." (Paraphrasing here)
If this is true, then it is obvious Jo was pushed to give the answer and it wasn't what she wrote in her books.

Old March 14th, 2012, 4:06 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglepot View Post
Plus, those words of Jo's, I believe, were made after a "discussion" with known Hermione lover and H/Hr shipper Steve Kloves. From what I understand he was going on and on about H/Hr in the time when Ron left pointing out stuff until, finally, Jo gave in and said "OK, have it your way, yes it might have." (Paraphrasing here)
If this is true, then it is obvious Jo was pushed to give the answer and it wasn't what she wrote in her books.
Personally, I don't think that Ms. Rowling could be "pushed to give an answer" against her own knowledge of her characters. I think she was simply giving a hypothetical opinion about a hypothetical outcome in Harry's & Hermione's relationship with each other, based on the hypothetical premise if Ron had not returned. But as Ms. Rowling did have Ron return, the alternative remains hypothetical, and she merely shared an insight into the closeness of the relationship between Harry & Hermione.

In my opinion, no matter what the director may have intended, the dance scene in the movie was far from romantic. I think people confuse closeness to be inextricable from romance, but I don't believe that's true. All the non-book-reading viewers that I know saw nothing romantic at all about the dance scene.

....I miss David Tennant....

Last edited by HedwigOwl; March 14th, 2012 at 4:08 am. Reason: grammar
Old March 14th, 2012, 7:09 am
First Year

Could we please move back on track here?

Someone mentioned that the dance scene is already being discussed in another thread. Please find it and continue your talk there. This thread is for scenes you enjoy, not scenes that are open for debate.

A scene I enjoyed would probably be the duel between Dumbledore and Voldemort. The movie made it so epic! I don't really remember how the book described it, but I really enjoyed how creative they got in the movie with the spellcastings rather than it be just a bunch of Expelliarmus's and Avada-Kadavra's.

Pottermore:
StoneFrog1429
Wand: Alder, Unicorn Hair, 13 3/4 in, Slightly Springy
House: Ravenclaw
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies