Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Should prostitution be made legal?

Old May 2nd, 2007, 9:43 pm
Third Year

Re: Should prostitution be made legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceFO View Post
Nobody should think it's okay to sell your body for money. A lot of danger comes from Prostitution as well as health issues. I don't know about anyone outside the UK has heard about this but a few months ago around 7 prostitutes were murderd by the same man in the space of a week. Normally girls get into prostitution to feed their drug habbit, and its usually illegal drugs. By making it legal you are letting them feed their drug addiction, which is wrong.

These are over-generalizations, not all prostitutes are drug addicts. I think it's the same mentality as stripping, which is legal here in the US. Most of the strippers I know are beautiful woman who want a lucrative part-time job while they go to college. Sure some of them are drug users, some have mental issues, but you can't make a profession illegal just because of a few people. If drug use and mental instability is grounds for making a profession illegal, then engineering should be illegal... I know dozens who do drugs in their off hours and who have been treated for mental illness. See how illogical that argument is?

If a serial killer offs a bunch of accountants, should we make accounting illegal?

Also I don't see how LEGAL and REGULATED prostitution is any less of a health risk than picking up someone in a bar and taking them home for the night. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in countries where prostitution is legal, the sex workers are required to have frequent health exams and STD screening.

Snape Article
My Art
Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:30 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasheba View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in countries where prostitution is legal, the sex workers are required to have frequent health exams and STD screening.
You are correct as far as I know. If such a law was passed to legalize prostitution, this would be the only reason why I would agree with such a thing, and that's frequent health exams and STDs. The government is not going to prevent it from happening - it's one of the oldest 'professions' if you will call it that, in the world. Even though I strongly look down on such things, if the government could some how regulate it and decrease potential health risks such as the spread of AIDs or STD's, I would favor such a bill.

How to enforce it, though, is a whole nother problem.

Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:09 pm
Fifth Year

Points in favour of legalisation given so far:
Prostitutes are in less danger (can go to the police without fear of prosecution)
Prostitutes can join unions, have social security and other social benifits.
Easier to have health checks to watch over their sexual health.
Ensure prostitutes get paid decent wage.
Prostitution has always existed.
It's a transaction between two consenting adults.

I am a bit sleepy so I may have missed some or picked some up wrong but I think that is the gist of it. I fully agree that all people should be able to work in a situation where they are safe and healthy and which they chose. But, as mostly the people who come from countries where it is legal have said, most women do not chose it. And I believe stripping is almost as bad as actual prostitution. Either way it is selling your body for money. Don't go thinking I'm saying this because I'm a religious fanatic. I am an atheist. I just believe all people should have some dignity. And to me it seems repulsive to legalise prostitution because it's as if the government is selling your body.

Quote:
Sure half the lads on the street are turning tricks. They only make about a tenner a go. When you sell your body, you know you've lost, you're gone, there's no redemption. If you're packing shelves in Dunnes Stores, you're a mechanic, but if you're selling yourself on the canal, you're a slave. I know a lot of those girls along the canal and every last one of them is nice. They've all been mentally or physicially hurt at one stage or another.
Tony Gill, a street poet in Dublin, 1998.

~TheFiend~

Old May 3rd, 2007, 4:41 am
Sixth Year

In and of itself prostitution is legal in the UK, there are restrictions of course, but outside of them, a man or a woman is legally entitled to do as they wish with their own body.
As for the morals, is it more or less morally corrupt to steal from family, friends, strangers, and shops to feed your family (or habit) than perform an consensual and legal act between to two adults?

Old May 3rd, 2007, 8:06 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasheba View Post
These are over-generalizations, not all prostitutes are drug addicts.
Actually, in the ACT, most brothels will not employ addicts as they tend to be unreliable.

For the edification of those who feel like it the legislation.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old May 3rd, 2007, 9:09 am
Hogwarts Graduate

It's a hard subject, because I don't believe prostitution is a great thing or that it's usually good for the people involved in it. However, I do believe it should be legal. The reasons for having it illegal are generally moral reasons, and most likely stem from the belief that sex is only for married couples. There's nothing wrong with this view, but it's unfair to base laws on it. As long as it's consensual, I think it's people's own business what they do in the bedroom, and if money is exchanged, I think that's their business, too, even if I don't personally agree with it.

I think it would be better to make it legal but have some regulations when it comes to prostitutes who work in brothels or on the streets.

Old May 3rd, 2007, 9:16 am
Fourth Year

Count me in as another pro-legalization of prostitution, for pretty much all the reasons listed. I just don't understand making a consensual act illegal. I would add to the pro-legalization list:
-income can be taxed
-better care for the children of prostitutes
-possible reduction in abortions (due to combination of better use of birth control and an employed prostitute would have some "family rights")

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceFO
I don't know about anyone outside the UK has heard about this but a few months ago around 7 prostitutes were murderd by the same man in the space of a week
There is also "the Green River Killer" in the States. However, this isn't really a good reason to keep prostitution illegal, it actually makes a good argument for legalization. Prostitutes are good targets because they are afraid of the police and because they tend to move about a lot (they are less likely to be reported missing). In addition, if the police do get a missing persons report on a known prostitute the are less likely to do a thorough investigation. This makes them easy targets. If prostitution were legal, then more prostitutes would have defined hours/places of employment so that a missing persons report might be taken more seriously. Plus, they wouldn't have as great a reason to be afraid to place a report with the police.
Besides these killers could just as easily been targeting hikers in a woods, and we wouldn't be demanding that hiking be made illegal.

My current distractions

Quote:
A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that's unlocked and opens inwards, as long as it doesn't occur to him to pull rather than push. - Ludwig Wittgenstein
Old May 3rd, 2007, 9:28 am
Fourth Year

It's definitely an interesting issue. I have a couple of points I want to bring up:

I don't think that laws should be made prohibiting/enabling things purely on a moral basis, as everyone's morals are different. While I personally think that prostitution is distasteful, immoral... etc. my circumstances are or may be different than someone who may see the issue differently. It's always dangerous when the main basis of a law is "well, it's not moral." As far as I can tell, that's really the basis of at least the U.S. law against prostitution. Or am I wrong? I'm not really sure.

Secondly, the legalization of prostitution, as people have continually said, would bring with it regulation. I have heard (please correct me if I'm wrong) that prostitution is very heavily regulated in those places where it's legal. The workers must check in with their health, mark their doors/windows with red lights? I don't have very much knowledge on the specifics, I just know that it's more regulated. Surely you can keep a closer eye on something if it's legal than if it's illegal?

It really seems so detached when you talk about it all like this... but isn't that what's sort of needed when discussing a law so, well morally explosive?

Old May 3rd, 2007, 11:32 am
Third Year

I think protitution should be legal. I never thought I would say that, but it's true. I will get into that more in a moment. People against it have mentioned a few things, which I'd like to address:

* "It's just wrong"
What if the woman in question was raised in a squalid housing project, and did not have the access or money (like many of us do) for a quality education. She has no marketable skills, cant type or use a computer, doesn't interview well, maybe doesn't even have a driver's license, has no real home address which to put on her job applications, AND she has a child. Prostitution, as repulsive as it is to many of us, is a way for this woman to make money. And I will tell you something. Half way houses, rehab centers, schooling, counseling, etc. cost MONEY. When you barely have enough money to live, these things are low on your list of priorities...behind feeding your child, yourself, and making sure you have somewhere warm to stay in the winter.

If it is legal, the police and government can regulate it. They can make it safer for the protitute, and with health checks, make it safer for the clients as well.

There is a reason prostitution is called the "oldest profession". It has always existed, and it always will. Human trafficking has always existed, and probably always will. Making it illegal does nothing to change that.

* "It will make the morals of our country go down the toilet"

People have a CHOICE. They do not have to hire a prostitute. If someone is morally against it in the first place, why the worry? It seems hypocritical to me. Will the temptation be too great for these terribly upstanding moral people? Seems to me if you are morally against it, making it legal will have no impact on you, because you will not be a part of it, right? Judge not.

Back to my original statement. I would prefer prostitution to be legal. Why?

1. The government can negate and erase the use of "pimps". These men are usually violent and greedy. They often terribly abuse the women that work for them.

2. The government can make it law for prostitutes to have regular health checks, which benefits the prostitute and her clients/society.

3. A sad fact is that many prostitutes witness alot of dirty deals (drugs, guns, human trafficking, murder) but cannot come forward to the the police or they will be arrested. Making it legal seems as if it would cut down on the crime, not escalate it.

4. The government/society can create counseling and educational programs, safe housing, etc., to these women (and some men) who would like to leave the business but can't seem to because of money, education, or circumstance.

Just my 2 cents

"Even the very wise cannot see all ends"

Old May 3rd, 2007, 11:51 am
Mrs Grawp

Great topic!

Prostitution should be legal. Absolutely

Reasons:

Increased possibility of safety higenical controls. There are periodic hygenic controls in restaurants (another service sector) so prostitution could enter similar controls. Will benefit both workers and customers.

Prostitution is a service. It will exist always, no matter if legal or illegal.

Prostitution would enter the tax systhem. Do you have an idea how much prostitution benefit is in black money? Do you have an idea how much the state would earn in taxes if it was legal?

Security like health insurance and retirement insurance for the workers in prostitution. It's a short profession, after while with a certain age you can't do it anymore, and with a legal systhem people can make proper insurences to secure their future.

Legal prostitution is a way to prevent illegal prostitution and the exploitment of illegal workers, who often live in slave like conditions (specially illegal immigrants).

Customers could want to use legal prostitution service, as the quality would be increased (specially with health and hygenics), and the illegal prositutions would lose customers.

Of course all this doesn't apply to minors. This is illegal and should always be considered a crime.

Prostitution should be a service offered from free service workers to customers in a transparent system.

Actually I have a question: Is prostitution really illegal? I remember working in a 5 Star Hotel in the Public relation (tourist information, etc) and sometimes some customers required information about where to get these sort of services. We also had some prostitution institutions in our database who were considered quality to recommend in case of somebody asked.

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!

BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!

Last edited by guad; May 3rd, 2007 at 11:55 am.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:14 pm
Fifth Year

I think that if prostitution were legal in the US, there wouldn't be as many diseases been transmited to andt think from prostitutes. Also, I don't think that prostitutes we be in as much danger as they currently are while they are "on the job."

Gerald M. Loeb
Old May 3rd, 2007, 3:41 pm
First Year

I think that Prostitution should be made legal here in the UK, because I think those women need a certain extent of protection, from abusers and frm STD's/Aids etc.

There have been many prostitutes killed here because mainly people here think it is immoral, degrading etc, but that may apply to some people, some folk don't have a chance in which profession they go for or they are desperate for the money for their children etc.

Also, I don't see why prostitutes should be able to make money (even if it's illegal) and not have to pay taxes and national insurance like the rest of us have to. (same can be said for other illegal business').

To conclude, I think it should be legalised, but purely to keep the people of Britain safe, prostitutes have a right to be protected and the right not to be abused by people that think they can because they think prostitutes are lower than them.

Sig by the Magical Cybobbie

The Gator Fan Club

Old May 3rd, 2007, 6:53 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaSkye View Post
I think that Prostitution should be made legal here in the UK,
it is legal in the UK.

Old May 3rd, 2007, 7:02 pm
Fallen Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterfroggy View Post
it is legal in the UK.
Everywhere, or only in certain areas (I'm thinking of the various counties in Nevada where it's legal)?

Old May 3rd, 2007, 7:31 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzel View Post
Everywhere, or only in certain areas (I'm thinking of the various counties in Nevada where it's legal)?
it is covered by different act of law in both Scotland and Northern Ireland, but the basics are the same, between adults, and in private, the law can do nothing if either party wants payment. So yes everywhere in the UK
However if you take it outside, if either party is underage or is incapacitated by drugs or alcohol or unwilling(forced sexworkers). There are laws against advertising in public places (soliciting), and pimping is and always has been against the law even if the pimp is also a prostitute(controlling for gain).

Old May 3rd, 2007, 7:55 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterfroggy View Post
it is legal in the UK.
Oh right okay, sorry I didn't realise it was actually lega (shows you how much I know about our legal system).

I looked it up and it said that prostitution is legal but however that some of the activities that prostitutes do are illegal. It was something like that.

Sig by the Magical Cybobbie

The Gator Fan Club

Old May 3rd, 2007, 8:42 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Does prostitution disappear when it is illegal? Of course not.
In Model UN, I pointed this out and you won't believe their answer. Their defense was that yes it will stop because the reason people do it is because its illegal. They gave the example of a door that says "Do not enter" and then people will be compelled to enter. Their defense made no sense to me.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old May 4th, 2007, 2:10 am
Third Year

Keeping it illegal keeps the pimps in power, IMO. And keeps the prostitutes from seeking help against abuse, STD's and all sorts of things, because they're worried about getting arrested or whatever themselves... Legalising it won't make it go away, certainly, but it would make it a lot safer for the women who do it.

Old May 4th, 2007, 3:28 am
Hogwarts Graduate

A couple of other points to consider:

1) Even if legal, the potential for exploitation of prostitutes is high--most people are unlikely to choose this profession, if there is another option for them. Other activities for which the potential for exploitation is high are illegal, such as selling one's organs--again, something only a truly desperate person would do. Is there a fundamental difference between the exploitation involved in selling organs and selling sex?

2) The production of pornographic films is legal most places. In that industry, people are paid for sex. The obvious difference is that all participants are paid, not just one. Is that enough of a difference for the production of pornographic films to be legal, but prostitution illegal?

Not that he's important to the story or anything...

Snape's Army Headquarters

Does your personality determine what your favorite Harry Potter character is?
Click here
to help find out!

Original avatar artwork by mirrorcradle
Old May 4th, 2007, 4:23 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chievrefueil View Post
1) Even if legal, the potential for exploitation of prostitutes is high--most people are unlikely to choose this profession, if there is another option for them. Other activities for which the potential for exploitation is high are illegal, such as selling one's organs--again, something only a truly desperate person would do. Is there a fundamental difference between the exploitation involved in selling organs and selling sex?
Good point, there are some parallels. However, in this case, one of the reasons selling organs is illegal is that it would potentially drive up the cost of organ transplants so that only the wealthy could afford them. Organ donation in this country is purely voluntary (and I wouldn't say you'd be desperate to donate in that case, just generous). If there was a market for organs legally, donors would exploit needy patients instead.

The major difference between organ donation and prostitution also is that one doesn't NEED to solicite a prostitute in order to survive. If one were in the situation where one needed an organ transplant, one would NEED that organ in order to survive.

Snape Article
My Art

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives