Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Good and Evil: how do people become either way?

Old June 15th, 2009, 9:59 pm
Secret Keeper

Re: Good and Evil: how do people become either way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youdan View Post
LOL V8
wha'ts funny?
Quote:
that is why there are people with morals and thoses with out. thsoe who can reason things out and those who let their passions rule their lives. those who are in denial of the truth around them.
Well, i'm going to think of it this way, there is what is good for the individual and what's good for society

[/quote]why do poeple who are looked at being good, are held in such high esteem and those who look to do evil are held in such low esteem.
Why have punishment and rewards for good and evil? if the punishers are then evil for giving punishment.[/quote]

they are only good and evil because society believe those are the qualities of good and evil. for example, I bet during American's Civil War, a lot of southern slave owners believed Abraham Lincoln was evil, but today, many consider him to be one of America's greatest presidents.

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2009, 12:22 am
Fourth Year

There is a differance betweeen what is legal and what is good. why would a slave owner choose to be a slave over his freedom? that is what was funny

As there is a differance between legal plunder and plunder taking away goods by force. it is still plunder. Is being robbed in the streets or being robbed by government that much differant because your money is still taken away by threat of force.
therefore the government is just as evil as the thug in the street. but we lock up the street theif and not the government for the same crime.
As with anything that benifits one over an other by legal means, where dose the common good the unity of community come in? as charty is good up to a point, helping other up to a point is good but beond that point it becomes evil.

Last edited by Youdan; June 16th, 2009 at 3:46 am.
Old June 16th, 2009, 1:18 am
Secret Keeper

we could also say that wanting order is part of human nature. For example, it appears that feudalism and monarchies and the idea of divine right are popular or have appeared in at least two different places that have had little to no contact. For example, Europe and Japan have both experienced very similar feudalism.the idea of a governing body is arguably a part of human nature

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old June 16th, 2009, 4:56 am
(Still) The Nicest Guy Ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
I can't agree that there's such a thing as an "evil gene".

If a person is predisposed to do wrong punishing them for committing acts of evil would, in itself, be an evil act as they can't help it any more than they could alter the colour of their eyes.
It is mostly accepted that there are genes that predispose us to physical ailments and emotional tendencies. I think some of those tendencies, for example having temper or being particularly empathetic, could possibly predispose one to be either being evil or good.

Check out TheDailyExcuse for icons, graphics, and additional exciting items!

No Vampires Included.....well maybe a few.

Occasionally you need to jump off a cliff and do things you know are not immediately within your grasp.
Old June 16th, 2009, 5:23 am
Fourth Year

Yes those is power always want to keep power so use the divine right to keep power.
might is right only those strong enough to hold power have the right to govern again the threat of force is used. where that force is used to defend the people's liberty, life and prosperity. again if taken to extreems that same force can be use for evil as it can be used for good. who are gardians of good? Keeping evil at bay some other force or the people themselves. For a long time when there was no force close by the people were responsible for keeping the peace the had to work together for the general good and unity of the people. when a larger force was needed to protect the people warrors were developed.
Where did these same ideas of being good and evil come from?
Dose it matter where evil comes from? Are people afraid to punish or fight evil or to make those who do evil the victims of their crimes? switching the fault from crimals to victims?

Last edited by Youdan; June 16th, 2009 at 6:28 am.
Old June 17th, 2009, 4:03 am
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupislune View Post
It is mostly accepted that there are genes that predispose us to physical ailments and emotional tendencies. I think some of those tendencies, for example having temper or being particularly empathetic, could possibly predispose one to be either being evil or good.
This seems sort of specious to me, because a predisposition to having a temper does not also presuppose that having a temper predisposes one to evil. Unless there is an "evil gene" that actually makes someone more likely to do horrible things, I don't see a logical connection. And, as Wab says, if there is an evil gene, then we can't really hold such people responsible for carrying out their genetic programming. Otherwise, people who are more likely to get angry are just more likely to get angry, and nothing more.

The way we perceive evil has more to do with circumstances than it does with individuals anyway, if you ask me. Most people don't consider one soldier killing another to be an act of evil, whereas if it's one construction worker killing another, we are unlikely to be at all forgiving. I don't mean to say that military combat is evil, only that acts with identical results (a death) are often viewed entirely differently depending on where, how, why, and against whom they were committed regardless of the temperament or genetic makeup of the people who actually committed them.

Old June 19th, 2009, 5:34 pm
Fourth Year

There is both good and evil in everyone the Yin and Yan if you please. No one is totally good nor totally bad/ evil. How do people become either way?
One might say other people foster it. Man will avoid pain and and if living good is harder then living evil then evil will win out. People let it happen and then wonder why.
There must be rewards and punishment for good and evil. People can't go around rewarding evil while talking about being good.
People need to be responible for their actions. If people are not held accountable for their actions then evil will win out. and people shouldn't try to shift the blame from evil to the good.

Last edited by Youdan; June 19th, 2009 at 5:45 pm.
Old June 21st, 2009, 2:51 am
Lycanthrope

To me good and evil only exist in literature/film, etc. I don't feel that they have a counterpart in real life.

Old June 24th, 2009, 1:14 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
To me good and evil only exist in literature/film, etc. I don't feel that they have a counterpart in real life.
Hmm... interesting viewpoint wicked. Why do you think that they don't have one in real life?

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old June 24th, 2009, 4:41 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupislune View Post
You're confusing actions with intrinsic qualities.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old June 24th, 2009, 5:36 am
Member of the Order

Having a born predisposition doesn't mean we don't have free will.

I've had a temper that seems to come from my father. Unlike him however I've learned to control it far better than he ever did.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old May 4th, 2010, 1:51 pm
Third Year

I believe everyone has a bit of good and evil in them, more of one and less of the other. It might got to do with genes and then it has to do with peoples upbringing...

Old June 25th, 2010, 12:53 am
Fourth Year

Good is born and it develops, evil is made.

"And Mary and Joseph went to Bethlehem, and Mary, who was great with child, rode a donkey, except the donkey actually ran away during rehearsals....so she in fact arrived on a small, motorized lawnmower."
Old June 25th, 2010, 4:30 pm
Sixth Year

The Chinese have a saying- Man is by nature good. However, it is society which corrupts us.

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)
Old June 26th, 2010, 7:40 pm
Fourth Year

Yeah, I agree with MC. Some people start out good, but like Tom Riddle, if they have unhappy experiences, they can go bad....

"And Mary and Joseph went to Bethlehem, and Mary, who was great with child, rode a donkey, except the donkey actually ran away during rehearsals....so she in fact arrived on a small, motorized lawnmower."
Old June 26th, 2010, 9:32 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC2456 View Post
The Chinese have a saying- Man is by nature good. However, it is society which corrupts us.
Good way of putting it MC. It definitely makes a lot of sense overall. It's what people go through that can tend to drive them either way.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old June 27th, 2010, 12:23 am
Third Year

I don't believe in evil people; I believe in bad choices. People who are doing "acts of evil" think they're doing "acts of good." For example, al-Qaeda believes it is religiously justifiable to kill anyone who opposes Islam. Although the majority view al-Qaeda as evil, al-Qaeda sees their actions as a religious duty. I'm not defending their actions. I'm just saying I believe their actions are very, very bad but I don't believe they're evil.

oneinthesandbox.tumblr.com
Old June 27th, 2010, 1:12 am
Member of the Order

I believe that there is a great deal of naivety in this thread. At the risk of Godwin's Law, so much was so just before the rise of Naziism.

I'm reading this and I can only wonder at previous posts that would allow such "ideologies" to flourish to the point where violence happens.

Evil certainly exists.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old June 27th, 2010, 5:41 pm
Fourth Year

There are different degrees of evil. Like Fawkesfan1 said, Al-Quaeda believed its actions to be good, but there actions were still such great acts of evil and hate that that has almost no significance. I think it's evil to slap someone across the face, but it is more evil to abuse a child, and it is yet more evil to murder. It's not always about the person, it's about the act. Good people do horrible things. Personally, I cannot put up with any acts of evil that push my personal limit, but tat does not mean that everyone who "crosses the line" is evil.

Old June 27th, 2010, 6:03 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
Evil certainly exists.
Except the existence of evil (for want of a better term) is not the topic of the thread; it's how do people become "evil". In response many have replied that people are neither inherently good or evil.

People are certainly capable of extremely nasty acts but I still would not label them as good or evil.

Even perpetrators of gross human rights violations are generally people who would have, under different circumstances, lived wholly unremarkable lives cultivating zinnias and walking their daschund.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives