Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Gay Marriage

Old August 31st, 2010, 7:07 am
Zonko's Employee

Re: Gay Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissGranger1979 View Post
I personally think that homosexuals should have as much right to marry as heterosexuals. Why should they be treated differently just because their partner is of the same sex? If straight people love someone, they get married, and gay people should be able to aswell.

People who are against gay marriage don't really have a reason to be. How will it have any impact on them personally if men are allowed to marry men, and women are allowed to marry women?
Couldn't agree more!

If this text is blue, you're going too fast.

Proud three-time winner of the Flirtiest Member Hogsie!
Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2010, 12:36 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissGranger1979 View Post
I personally think that homosexuals should have as much right to marry as heterosexuals. Why should they be treated differently just because their partner is of the same sex? If straight people love someone, they get married, and gay people should be able to aswell.

People who are against gay marriage don't really have a reason to be. How will it have any impact on them personally if men are allowed to marry men, and women are allowed to marry women?
Agreed. It only makes sense. If they have the same rights as others do.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old September 1st, 2010, 6:37 am
Zonko's Employee

I read in the paper today that some politician or something here in Australia (Can't remember the guy's name, sorry) said something along the lines of, "I can't in good conscience support gay marriage. The best option for children is that they be raised by a mother and father. It may not always be possible, but it's the best option."

Needless to say, I disagree.

The best option for a child is to be raised by people who love him. Who cares if they are male and female or two males or two females?

If this text is blue, you're going too fast.

Proud three-time winner of the Flirtiest Member Hogsie!
Old September 1st, 2010, 1:46 pm
Sixth Year

Heterosexual parents do not have a monopoly on good parenting. Indeed good parenting is something that many never aspire to regardless of whatever "2.2 children, good dual income, suburban sun" life they might have. I'm not convinced that gays cannot make good surrogate or adoptive parents.

i'm in slytherin!
Old September 1st, 2010, 4:34 pm
First Year

I think as long as your parents love you and treat you properly, it doesn't matter what gender they are.

We just fly these circles like tired kites
Old September 1st, 2010, 4:59 pm
Assistant to Minister Granger

I completely agree. The whole idea of gender roles and children supposedly needing both seems like a desperate cling to tradition, to be honest. They should have role models from both genders why - to grow up within a gender model pre-decided for them and see the opposite sex in just as pre-decided shading? I don't think it's that crucial.

Old September 2nd, 2010, 10:39 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Well, and I think that not supporting gay marriage because you don't agree with gay couples raising children doesn't really make sense. Many unmarried gay couples already have children. It's not all that uncommon for gay and bisexual people to have children from former partners of the opposite sex, and a lot of unmarried gay couples have kids together via sperm donation/surrogacy, or adoption.

However, not allowing gay marriage puts these families at a big risk. In cases where one partner is the biological parent of the couple's children, the non-biological parent can have a lot of trouble being recognized as a parent. They have to try to adopt their own kid. And unmarried gay couples aren't always able to adopt jointly, I don't think. This can create some serious, potentially life-threatening, issues.

I doubt that legalizing gay marriage would result in that many more families with gay parents. It would just add a lot of legal stability to those that exist.

Old September 2nd, 2010, 12:03 pm
Registered Animagus

On the subject of children, a good step forward today for legalising gay adoption in New South Wales (which is already legal in Westeran Australia and the ACT): http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...02/3000652.htm

Old September 2nd, 2010, 10:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver92 View Post
I think as long as your parents love you and treat you properly, it doesn't matter what gender they are.
The gender shouldn't matter here. It's how a person/people treat their kids that really counts in the end.

@DancingMaenid: Why do people keep on hedging on these issues? It just doesn't really make any real sense to me here ...

It certainly does, since they wouldn't have the same protections and such that a straight married couple would have.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Old September 3rd, 2010, 8:19 am
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
I completely agree. The whole idea of gender roles and children supposedly needing both seems like a desperate cling to tradition, to be honest. They should have role models from both genders why - to grow up within a gender model pre-decided for them and see the opposite sex in just as pre-decided shading? I don't think it's that crucial.
And indeed, I think we have enough examples of children being raised by only one person to know that children take cues about their gender roles from a lot more sources than just parents. Families just aren't that insular anymore. (And for the better, I say.)

Old September 4th, 2010, 10:12 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by canismajoris View Post
And indeed, I think we have enough examples of children being raised by only one person to know that children take cues about their gender roles from a lot more sources than just parents. Families just aren't that insular anymore. (And for the better, I say.)
Well, and have families ever been that insular to begin with? There are certainly examples of families living secluded lives, but in general, people have always formed communities, even if they were rural or small communities. I can't think of too many situations where a kid would receive influence only from their parents.

Old September 10th, 2010, 10:17 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius View Post
I read in the paper today that some politician or something here in Australia (Can't remember the guy's name, sorry) said something along the lines of, "I can't in good conscience support gay marriage. The best option for children is that they be raised by a mother and father. It may not always be possible, but it's the best option."

Needless to say, I disagree.

The best option for a child is to be raised by people who love him. Who cares if they are male and female or two males or two females?
That seems illogical on a couple of levels. As you, and others, have said, a child is better off with people who love them, whether that's one parent or two, a straight or a same-sex couple. It doesn't matter as long as the parent(s) love the child and want them to be safe and happy and cared for. The rest is just convention.

Also, not every couple -straight or same-sex - want children. People don't marry just to have children. So, to oppose gay marriage for that reason strikes me as illogical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingMaenid View Post
Well, and I think that not supporting gay marriage because you don't agree with gay couples raising children doesn't really make sense. Many unmarried gay couples already have children. It's not all that uncommon for gay and bisexual people to have children from former partners of the opposite sex, and a lot of unmarried gay couples have kids together via sperm donation/surrogacy, or adoption.
That's a good point, and it makes this politician's argument seem even more groundless.

Quote:
However, not allowing gay marriage puts these families at a big risk. In cases where one partner is the biological parent of the couple's children, the non-biological parent can have a lot of trouble being recognized as a parent. They have to try to adopt their own kid. And unmarried gay couples aren't always able to adopt jointly, I don't think. This can create some serious, potentially life-threatening, issues.
I think that's very sad, and it must be horrible for the children concerned as well, to see one of their parents to be treated like that. It's other peoples' attitudes that are going to hurt the kids.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old September 20th, 2010, 7:43 pm
First Year

I'm in a (British) civil partnership, and from what I can gather the only difference with actual marriage is its name. All the forms, the ceremony, etc. are identical.

My wife is also officially my 11-year old son's stepmother (she has parental responsibility). She's a good mum, better than me, and a good dad, better than his natural dad. It's nothing to do with sexual orientation but all to do with what kind of person you are, ya know?

Old October 15th, 2010, 10:13 pm
Winning Teamster

Slight change of topic, but too poignant to miss.

A Texas councillor talks about bullying of gay (and assumed gay) pupils in school - and tells teenagers 'it gets better'.

One of the most moving things I have seen in a long time. Stick with it - it's worth all the 13 minutes it takes.

(and yes, it also has a good deal to say about gay marriage - in a place which, I assume, doesn't actually accept gay marriage?)

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
Old October 16th, 2010, 7:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starling View Post
I'm in a (British) civil partnership, and from what I can gather the only difference with actual marriage is its name. All the forms, the ceremony, etc. are identical.

My wife is also officially my 11-year old son's stepmother (she has parental responsibility). She's a good mum, better than me, and a good dad, better than his natural dad. It's nothing to do with sexual orientation but all to do with what kind of person you are, ya know?
You couldn't have said that better Starling. That's pretty much how I view it as well. Just as long as both parties involved in the marriage itself are two half way decent people who love and care for one another -- that's what really counts. Who they are on the inside, not what their sexual orientation is.

Old October 18th, 2010, 3:06 am
First Year

I grew up in a muslim community, and went to a catholic school, and in oth religions getting marrid to the same sex is not aloowed. I dont feel good about it, but it depends where you are snd the culture you grew in

Old October 19th, 2010, 10:38 am
First Year

For most of human history, marriage had nothing to do with religion. It was a business contract.

Old October 20th, 2010, 4:23 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
Also, not every couple -straight or same-sex - want children. People don't marry just to have children. So, to oppose gay marriage for that reason strikes me as illogical.
To add to that, you don't need marriage to have children.

I have women friends who are in same sex relationships and have kids and I have friends that are single mothers by choice. The only difference in the two scenarios is that the single mother by choice doesn't have a loving live-in partner to help in raising a child. She needs to rely on family and friends and neighbors and babysitters and so on. The same sex couple has someone there all the time to help. From that perspective, the same sex couple has the advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starling View Post
For most of human history, marriage had nothing to do with religion. It was a business contract.
For the most part, in the US anyway, it still is. The government and laws makes it to your advantage to marry.

Old October 21st, 2010, 11:33 pm
First Year

Totally for gay marriage. Of course, where I'm from, in the southern United States, there are lots of states that don't even allow civil unions. We had the same problem with racism here in the south. Now that that's finally starting to get better, they're discriminating against gays and lesbians! It's a little sad. But, who knows? There could be day where LGBT have equal rights. I'm hoping and praying for that day

Old October 29th, 2010, 1:29 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad_10 View Post
I grew up in a muslim community, and went to a catholic school, and in oth religions getting marrid to the same sex is not aloowed. I dont feel good about it, but it depends where you are snd the culture you grew in
What depends on where you are and the culture you grew in?

By the way, your very signature contradicts your opinion.

Klio, that video actually made me cry I love how more and more people in power are speaking up for gay rights by the day. Colin Farrell, Lady Gaga, Ellen, Jennifer Aniston, Brad and Angelina, the list is endless...

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives