Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Gay Marriage



 
 
Thread Tools
  #81  
Old October 29th, 2010, 12:32 am
Fawkesfan1's Avatar
Fawkesfan1  Female.gif Fawkesfan1 is offline
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs
 
Joined: 4636 days
Location: May spontaneously combust!
Posts: 7,591
Re: Gay Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaGaMoNsTeR View Post
What depends on where you are and the culture you grew in?

By the way, your very signature contradicts your opinion.

Klio, that video actually made me cry I love how more and more people in power are speaking up for gay rights by the day. Colin Farrell, Lady Gaga, Ellen, Jennifer Aniston, Brad and Angelina, the list is endless...
Me too GaGa. It's nice to see so many people standing up for gay rights.


__________________

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.


RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend.

Looking forward to seeing Mulder and Scully again in the new X Files episodes!

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Sponsored Links
  #82  
Old October 29th, 2010, 2:06 am
ahmad_10  Male.gif ahmad_10 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 3313 days
Location: the world
Age: 25
Posts: 60
Re: Gay Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaGaMoNsTeR View Post
What depends on where you are and the culture you grew in?

By the way, your very signature contradicts your opinion.
I never said I am against it, i said i dont feel good about it. and when i put my signiture, i put it for a specific conflict, but i dont want to break any rules!!


__________________
My pen is killing your sword
VIVA PALESTINA
  #83  
Old October 29th, 2010, 4:27 am
HMN's Avatar
HMN  Female.gif HMN is offline
Assistant to Minister Longbottom
 
Joined: 4660 days
Location: in denial
Posts: 2,163
Re: Gay Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad_10 View Post
I grew up in a muslim community, and went to a catholic school, and in oth religions getting marrid to the same sex is not aloowed. I dont feel good about it, but it depends where you are snd the culture you grew in
I've made this point to a couple of people in real life - It's ok to not believe in gay marriage for yourself, another thing to push your beliefs on other people. I respect those who are against if for themselves for religious reasons, so long as they respect that other people believe differently.

I think religion is deeply personal, and I respect those who are religious. I also believe that equal rights should be available to everyone.


__________________
is totally awesome!
  #84  
Old October 29th, 2010, 1:15 pm
Rastaban43's Avatar
Rastaban43  Male.gif Rastaban43 is offline
Representative Homosexual
 
Joined: 4836 days
Location: chaos organisť
Age: 35
Posts: 4,107
Re: Gay Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad_10 View Post
I never said I am against it, i said i dont feel good about it. and when i put my signiture, i put it for a specific conflict, but i dont want to break any rules!!
Don't worry, your signature is not against the rules.

I believe GaGa was only pointing out the irony of you don't feel good about gay marriage because of the culture you were raised in, but your signature suggests any culture that is born of tyrants and oppresses will eventually fall.

I can imagine the difficulty of your coming here to admit that you don't feel good about homosexuality, because it's not a popular opinion. I would just ask you to consider what HMN and GaGa said. It's more than a cultural thing, because there are plenty of Muslim boys who are gay. Should they be forced to ignore who they are just because of cultural differences between the East and the West? I believe it's a basic human right, to live and love how you want, and basic human rights shouldn't change just because of cultural differences.


__________________
  #85  
Old October 31st, 2010, 2:26 pm
exl2398  Female.gif exl2398 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 2732 days
Location: ohio
Age: 36
Posts: 269
Re: Gay Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
Over here, everyone (every politician, I mean) is against gay marriage. While the world makes large strides in a matter of a couple of years, as Klio points out, we're still in that part of the debate where we argue for or against a gay pride parade. That's where public discourse of homosexuality is over here. It's like we're separated by half a century from the western world by now, and the gap is rapidly growing. One (1) politician expressed support for the annual gay pride parade in Bulgaria (this year it was held for the 3rd time), and he was nearly crucified.
That is really sad. As much as it pains me, especially since I am a lesbian, to not be allowed to marry in the states, at least I can meet up for a gay pride parade if I actually wanted to. At least we aren't stuck back in the 50s or 60s.

I support full and equal rights when it comes to gay marriage. Anything less is a slap in the face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightreading View Post
Same here. Most of what I've heard (seeing as I live in a largely Christian community and went to Catholic school) is the religious [staff edit] "Gays seek to destroy the sanctity of marriage".
That is such a load of ****. You know what threatens the sanctity of marriage? Divorce. I don't see anyone, christian or otherwise, clamoring to make that illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
When someone points out that plenty of animals engage in same-sex too, so it can't be "unnatural" for humans, they turn around and demand that we're not animals, after all, so why should we compare ourselves to them?
Human beings are animals. Literally a part of the animal kingdom. Mammals, lie whales, chimps, cows, dogs, cats. That is the weakest argument I have ever heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _mollywobbles_ View Post
This thread makes me very happy. I am a woman who is in love with a woman and we are planning to get married. I say 'married' because I am from New Zealand where a Civil Union gives you the same rights as a marraige, so I see no point in using a different word to describe it.

The thing that we are finding most difficult is family support. My Father is still coming to terms, he hasn't spoken with me since I came out a few years back and My Partners Mother is claiming that she can't accept it due to her Catholic lifestyle. When I am around my Mother-in-law-to-be, she will regard me as her daughters 'Friend' and has stated that if we are to 'Publically awknowledge' our relationship (get married) then she won't be attending. What really gets me about this whole situation is that another of my partners relatives is a Catholic Nun and has no issue whatsoever.

We were planning on moving to Australia in the future, but at the moment that idea has been thrown out the window, Maybe Argentina is the way to go!
That is sad. I hope your father and mother in law to be change their attitudes about this. it is your life, not theirs, and you should be free to do with it as you wish so long as your aren't mudering people. And getting married to another woman is not murder, haha. So, good luck to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiricduck View Post
If religion is the problem, then it's pretty simple: take it out of our laws.
Preach it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _mollywobbles_ View Post
Is anybody else following the election in Australia? Some mighty fine bigotry is going on...

Wendy Francis, the Senate candidate from the Family First Party in Queensland expressed some of her views on gay marriage on Twitter last week, some highlights for those that aren't following:

“Australia would never recover from legalising gay marriage. Those who advocate this are not thinking of the dramatic consequences.”

“Children in homosexual relationships are subject to emotional abuse. Legitimising gay marriages is like legalising child abuse."

“Gay marriage = kids with no mothers or no fathers, parent-less generation; uncontrollable depression & suicide. Is that the Aust we want?”




Of course, due to the responses generated these tweets have since been erased. Does anyone else find these statements as infuriatingly bigoted as I do? What would be the dramatic consequences of legalising gay marriage? Gays would get married?
I know plenty of children and adults who have gay parents, not one of them has suffered from emotional abuse or commited suicide, If anything they have grown into being well-rounded individuals who are more accepting of difference than most and they have nothing but love and respect for their parents.
please tell me this woman didn't get elected?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
The crazy doesn't stop there though. Minister Penny Wong (Water and Climate Change) is the first openly gay minister the Australian Commonwealth cabinet. She's also against gay marriage. I don't care if she's just going with the party line or not (she hasn't claimed this btw), that just baffles me.
how can you be gay and against gay marriage? self hating gays, anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius View Post
The best option for a child is to be raised by people who love him. Who cares if they are male and female or two males or two females?
exactly. I hear the argument that they would lack the benefits of having an oposite sex set of parents, but I say to that that there are many people who influence the life of a child. if they have two male parents, doesn't that also mean they have two grandmothers, possible aunts, not to mention any number of female influences in their lives?



Last edited by exl2398; October 31st, 2010 at 3:07 pm.
  #86  
Old October 31st, 2010, 11:36 pm
_mollywobbles_'s Avatar
_mollywobbles_  Female.gif _mollywobbles_ is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4185 days
Location: Ravenclaw Common Room
Age: 30
Posts: 341
Re: Gay Marriage

Kilo, that video is amazing, he has so much strength and courage. I wish we had more poloticians like him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exl2398 View Post
That is sad. I hope your father and mother in law to be change their attitudes about this. it is your life, not theirs, and you should be free to do with it as you wish so long as your aren't mudering people. And getting married to another woman is not murder, haha. So, good luck to you.?
I hope they come around too, although I have gotten over being upset about it, at the end of the day it is their issue not mine and I shouldn't waste my life worrying about their opinions when I have my chosen family that love and support us. It is sad that I have lost the connection with my Dad, but im hoping eventually he will just get over it and welcome my girl to the family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exl2398 View Post
please tell me this woman didn't get elected?!?
No. From what I understand they didnt get anything, and as of July 2011 the whole party will have no parlimentary representation. Thank goodness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exl2398 View Post
exactly. I hear the argument that they would lack the benefits of having an oposite sex set of parents, but I say to that that there are many people who influence the life of a child. if they have two male parents, doesn't that also mean they have two grandmothers, possible aunts, not to mention any number of female influences in their lives?
I was bought up by only my father, I had grandmothers, aunties, teachers, coaches, and neighbours who were amazing female rolemodels and have influenced the person I am today - and too be honest I feel pretty well-rounded. I care about womans rights and gender equality, I love to cook, bake, quilt and sew, I wear dresses and I care about my appearance - but I also know how to dive a tractor, build a bookcase from scratch, fix basic issues with my car and operate some pretty heavy machinery - go figure.


__________________
Dumbledore: Proof that being normal is way overrated.

Ravenclaws: Study Hard, Party Harder!
  #87  
Old November 1st, 2010, 2:22 am
Rastaban43's Avatar
Rastaban43  Male.gif Rastaban43 is offline
Representative Homosexual
 
Joined: 4836 days
Location: chaos organisť
Age: 35
Posts: 4,107
Re: Gay Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by exl2398 View Post
how can you be gay and against gay marriage? self hating gays, anyone?
Closet cases, the shame of admitting that you were wrong after so long, religion, pressure from family. There are plenty of reasons. I know several gay people who are not only Republican (which isn't by itself wrong), they openly support homophobic policies. It's just ridiculous. Instead of seeking acceptance from those who are like them, they'd rather seek it from those they wish to be. It's really sad, but I'm afraid as long as there are openly homophobic people out there, it's going to continue to happen.


__________________
  #88  
Old November 1st, 2010, 3:05 am
exl2398  Female.gif exl2398 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 2732 days
Location: ohio
Age: 36
Posts: 269
Re: Gay Marriage

[quote=_mollywobbles_;5639696]I hope they come around too, although I have gotten over being upset about it, at the end of the day it is their issue not mine and I shouldn't waste my life worrying about their opinions when I have my chosen family that love and support us. It is sad that I have lost the connection with my Dad, but im hoping eventually he will just get over it and welcome my girl to the family. [.QUOTE]
you're right, of course, that it isn't your problem, it is theirs. Still, it would be nice if they came around to your way of thinking.

Quote:
No. From what I understand they didnt get anything, and as of July 2011 the whole party will have no parlimentary representation. Thank goodness.
Yes, thank goodness.

Quote:
I was bought up by only my father, I had grandmothers, aunties, teachers, coaches, and neighbours who were amazing female rolemodels and have influenced the person I am today - and too be honest I feel pretty well-rounded. I care about womans rights and gender equality, I love to cook, bake, quilt and sew, I wear dresses and I care about my appearance - but I also know how to dive a tractor, build a bookcase from scratch, fix basic issues with my car and operate some pretty heavy machinery - go figure.
You are a prime example of what I am talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastaban43 View Post
Closet cases, the shame of admitting that you were wrong after so long, religion, pressure from family. There are plenty of reasons. I know several gay people who are not only Republican (which isn't by itself wrong), they openly support homophobic policies. It's just ridiculous. Instead of seeking acceptance from those who are like them, they'd rather seek it from those they wish to be. It's really sad, but I'm afraid as long as there are openly homophobic people out there, it's going to continue to happen.
That is sad.


  #89  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 7:23 am
FlaviaGeminia  Undisclosed.gif FlaviaGeminia is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2874 days
Posts: 4
Re: Gay Marriage

if I could chime in, I personally do not think the term 'marriage' should have any more legal standing then, say, christening. When a baby is born, legal documents recording the baby's existence, stating his/her name, parents etc. have to be signed to make the baby's existence "official". later, if the parents want to do a naming ceremony, christening or baptism -- purely as a ceremonial, spiritual gesture -- they are certainly free to do so.
How about we do the same with marriage? Separate the legal side from the spiritual side. Have the documents to sign, all the legal/fiscal benefits, fall under the heading of 'Civil Union' or 'Civil Contract', and have it only be available through a government run building (City Hall or a courthouse) by a government official, and of course make it available to all consenting adult couples.
If a couple wants a wedding celebration in addition to this (or even if they don't care about tax benefits and forgo it entirely) then they are absolutely free to do so! But it would be a purely spiritual event, a promise to their significant other backed solely by their love and trust in each other, a way to show their commitment to friends and family and have it be celebrated. And because it would be completely in the private sphere, any religious organization would hold the right to refuse to marry a couple for whatever reason, if they so chose. But they would also not hold the power to grant any legal union. Also, this frees up the ceremony to whatever is most meaningful to a couple. if they want to go all out on a traditional white wedding, they can do that! if they want it to be just the two of them, holding hands in their living room and exchanging a promise of love, they can do that! if they have a dear friend whom they would much rather have lead their ceremony then a practically-a-stranger religious leader, they could do that too, and have it mean all the more. Just my thoughts


  #90  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 10:58 am
Overdose  Undisclosed.gif Overdose is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 4648 days
Posts: 1,421
Re: Gay Marriage

^^ Pretty much the above post is my exact position on marriage.


__________________


i'm in slytherin!
  #91  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 2:47 pm
HMN's Avatar
HMN  Female.gif HMN is offline
Assistant to Minister Longbottom
 
Joined: 4660 days
Location: in denial
Posts: 2,163
Re: Gay Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaviaGeminia View Post
if I could chime in, I personally do not think the term 'marriage' should have any more legal standing then, say, christening. When a baby is born, legal documents recording the baby's existence, stating his/her name, parents etc. have to be signed to make the baby's existence "official". later, if the parents want to do a naming ceremony, christening or baptism -- purely as a ceremonial, spiritual gesture -- they are certainly free to do so.
How about we do the same with marriage? Separate the legal side from the spiritual side. Have the documents to sign, all the legal/fiscal benefits, fall under the heading of 'Civil Union' or 'Civil Contract', and have it only be available through a government run building (City Hall or a courthouse) by a government official, and of course make it available to all consenting adult couples.
If a couple wants a wedding celebration in addition to this (or even if they don't care about tax benefits and forgo it entirely) then they are absolutely free to do so! But it would be a purely spiritual event, a promise to their significant other backed solely by their love and trust in each other, a way to show their commitment to friends and family and have it be celebrated. And because it would be completely in the private sphere, any religious organization would hold the right to refuse to marry a couple for whatever reason, if they so chose. But they would also not hold the power to grant any legal union.
I agree that religious institutions may decide who they wish to marry. And in fact they often do. In Judaism, if the couple is interfaith and they do not plan on converting and/or raising the children Jewish the Rabbi can decide not to marry that couple. It goes against his beliefs, so the couple must find someone else.

I do not agree that the words 'wedding' or 'marriage' should be owned solely by religious institutions.

Currently in the US, couples who wish to marry must register at their local government office to receive a license to marry. The government is the one who OK's the legal right to marry. Once granted the couple can choose to have a civil ceremony or a religious one. Totally up to the happy couple, whatever they prefer.

Therefore, the word "marriage" is currently not a religious word, it is a civil one. And currently, in the US at least, it is the government, not the religious institutions who is deciding who can and cannot marry. Which goes to the earlier point that marriage has nothing to do with religion and that all human beings should have equal rights.

IF those seeking some sort of religious blessing on their marriage, the religious institutions of the world should be free to label their ceremonies as "Spiritual Marriage." Those wishing to define marriage as between a man and woman can go with "Orthodox Marriage" or "Customary Marriage."

But the general terms Marry, Marriage, Wedding, Husband and Wife - those words belong to the people.


__________________
is totally awesome!
  #92  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 4:58 pm
Rastaban43's Avatar
Rastaban43  Male.gif Rastaban43 is offline
Representative Homosexual
 
Joined: 4836 days
Location: chaos organisť
Age: 35
Posts: 4,107
Re: Gay Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
Therefore, the word "marriage" is currently not a religious word, it is a civil one. And currently, in the US at least, it is the government, not the religious institutions who is deciding who can and cannot marry. Which goes to the earlier point that marriage has nothing to do with religion and that all human beings should have equal rights.
This. It's a nice idea to completely separate the civil ceremony from the religious one, and there are plenty of countries that do, but marriage is marriage. It's a societal rite, not a religious one. It is a concept that was claimed by religion but it doesn't belong to them -- just ask any atheist what they think about that. "Being married" is simply part of the vernacular, and even if gay couples are awarded "civil partnerships" everywhere in the world, everyone would still say they're married. While the idea of separating the civil ceremony from the religious one is admirable, separating the word marriage from the civil part is just impossible.


__________________

Last edited by Rastaban43; November 3rd, 2010 at 6:05 pm.
  #93  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 5:30 pm
Melaszka's Avatar
Melaszka  Female.gif Melaszka is offline
HighFunctioning Sociopath
 
Joined: 4353 days
Location: England
Age: 50
Posts: 3,294
Re: Gay Marriage

Currently in the UK news are some gay couples who are taking legal action to try to overturn the UK law which bans them from having a marriage and heterosexual couples who are doing the same to try to overturn the law that says they can't have a civil partnership:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11679285

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11625835


  #94  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 6:30 pm
FlaviaGeminia  Undisclosed.gif FlaviaGeminia is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2874 days
Posts: 4
Re: Gay Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
I agree that religious institutions may decide who they wish to marry. And in fact they often do. In Judaism, if the couple is interfaith and they do not plan on converting and/or raising the children Jewish the Rabbi can decide not to marry that couple. It goes against his beliefs, so the couple must find someone else.

I do not agree that the words 'wedding' or 'marriage' should be owned solely by religious institutions.

Currently in the US, couples who wish to marry must register at their local government office to receive a license to marry. The government is the one who OK's the legal right to marry. Once granted the couple can choose to have a civil ceremony or a religious one. Totally up to the happy couple, whatever they prefer.

Therefore, the word "marriage" is currently not a religious word, it is a civil one. And currently, in the US at least, it is the government, not the religious institutions who is deciding who can and cannot marry. Which goes to the earlier point that marriage has nothing to do with religion and that all human beings should have equal rights.

IF those seeking some sort of religious blessing on their marriage, the religious institutions of the world should be free to label their ceremonies as "Spiritual Marriage." Those wishing to define marriage as between a man and woman can go with "Orthodox Marriage" or "Customary Marriage."

But the general terms Marry, Marriage, Wedding, Husband and Wife - those words belong to the people.

Oh, I definitely agree! I never meant to imply that only religious wedding ceremonies would be considered marriages. Sorry if that was unclear what I meant was, I believe Marriage should be a purely private affair. Anyone could call themselves 'husband and wife' -- just as they can now, whether or not they use a ceremony (religious or not) to announce it. It is not fraud to introduce yourself and your partner as husband and wife (or husband and husband, wife and wife), even if you are married only in your hearts, without legal documentation, and I believe that should be the norm. (the only way it becomes a problem is if a couple goes to the government and applies for marriage tax benefits, and claim to be married when they are not. thus, i believe the legal aspect should be separate.)
Maybe I can explain better with my own personal plan for marriage: I fully intend to never *legally*-marry. However, that does not mean that I do not hope to marry a nice guy one day! I would love a ceremony and celebration with family and friends, a purely secular one as i am in no way religious, focusing on love and commitment, with an exchange of vows backed not by legal papers, but our own faith and trust in each other. Afterwards, i would certainly consider myself a wife with a husband. and maybe around that time, or later on, if it seemed to be a good decision, we could get a civil contract at a government office for the tax benefits, hospital visitation, inheritance, securing possible children's futures, etc. But it would not be the thing that would validate my marriage, simply a useful addition to our planned lives together.
Whew! hope that makes sense


  #95  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 8:07 pm
agpotter  Male.gif agpotter is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 4982 days
Location: Utah
Age: 37
Posts: 1,556
Re: Gay Marriage

I am against gay marriage for a few reasons, not least of all because of the requirements it's going to force on schools to teach children certain things with or without their parents' consent, and on religions to marry people of the same sex regardless of their standards or beliefs, lest they lose privileges and certain freedoms. Even religious and moral reasons aside, a man and woman's complementarity as husband and wife is the ideal situation in which to raise a child. That's just how I feel. Also, Judge Vaughn Walker's behavior was unconstitutional, undemocratic and just not right. Why even bother voting if it can be overturned by one biased official?

Just thought there should be some kind of opposing opinion in here. It was getting sticky from all the treacle.



Last edited by agpotter; November 3rd, 2010 at 8:11 pm.
  #96  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 8:15 pm
Yoana's Avatar
Yoana  Female.gif Yoana is offline
Assistant to Minister Granger
 
Joined: 4466 days
Location: Bulgaria
Age: 35
Posts: 6,431
Re: Gay Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by agpotter View Post
I am against gay marriage for a few reasons, not least of all because of the requirements it's going to force on schools to teach children certain things with or without their parents' consent, and on religions to marry people of the same sex regardless of their standards or beliefs, lest they lose privileges and certain freedoms.
I don't think anyone is calling for forcing religious institutions to marry same sex couples. Nobody has tried to force the Catholic church to marry divorcees, have they?

I don't understand what you mean with the reference to schools. What would the schools be forced to teach if gay marriage is allowed? Plus, schools already teach many things some people disagree with - like evolution or authorial intent.

Quote:
Even religious and moral reasons aside, a man and woman's complementarity as husband and wife is the ideal situation in which to raise a child. That's just how I feel.
This may be how you feel, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any objective factual data to back that up.


  #97  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 8:53 pm
AldeberanBlack  Male.gif AldeberanBlack is offline
Secret Chocolate Keeper
 
Joined: 3153 days
Location: London
Posts: 6,034
Re: Gay Marriage

Quote:
I am against gay marriage for a few reasons, not least of all because of the requirements it's going to force on schools to teach children certain things with or without their parents' consent,
Quote:
and on religions to marry people of the same sex regardless of their standards or beliefs, lest they lose privileges and certain freedoms.
False. None of this will occur.

Quote:
Even religious and moral reasons aside, a man and woman's complementarity as husband and wife is the ideal situation in which to raise a child. That's just how I feel.
Legalising same sex marriage would not prevent a man and woman from marrying and having a child.

Quote:
Also, Judge Vaughn Walker's behavior was unconstitutional, undemocratic and just not right. Why even bother voting if it can be overturned by one biased official?
Because he wasn't biased. His decision was entirely supported by the Equal Protection Clause of the US Constitution, and as for democracy, one cannot deny equal rights by popular vote.


__________________
The Noble and Most Ancient House of Black
  #98  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 9:13 pm
FlaviaGeminia  Undisclosed.gif FlaviaGeminia is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2874 days
Posts: 4
Re: Gay Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by agpotter View Post
Just thought there should be some kind of opposing opinion in here. It was getting sticky from all the treacle.
By "treacle", I assume you mean that everyone is being all sugary-sweet. I would agree. A title like "Gay Marriage", indicates that this is a thread about love and celebrations and happy wedding days and the promise of a life shared with your most special person. And what is sweeter than being with the one you love? If ever there was a place for things to be 'treacle-y', I should say this is it.


  #99  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 9:23 pm
Rastaban43's Avatar
Rastaban43  Male.gif Rastaban43 is offline
Representative Homosexual
 
Joined: 4836 days
Location: chaos organisť
Age: 35
Posts: 4,107
Re: Gay Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by agpotter View Post
I am against gay marriage for a few reasons, not least of all because of the requirements it's going to force on schools to teach children certain things with or without their parents' consent ...
What is it going to force on schools?

Quote:
... and on religions to marry people of the same sex regardless of their standards or beliefs, lest they lose privileges and certain freedoms.
This just isn't true. Ever hear of separation of church and state? Actually it's sort of ironic, all we are fighting for, essentially, is separation of church and state in regards to marriage, and the best argument you can come up with is that gay marriage would be denying you religious freedom. That's rich. If gay people want to get married, do you think they'd even want to do it in an institution that takes pleasure in discriminating against them? We'll get married in the courthouse, not the church.

Quote:
Even religious and moral reasons aside, a man and woman's complementarity as husband and wife is the ideal situation in which to raise a child.
I'd love to know the relevance of that, let alone the proof. Shall we take children away from the single parents or non-married gay couples who are raising them now? The ideal situation in which to raise a child is in a loving home.

Quote:
That's just how I feel.
Do you think we should deny a group of people rights based on a feeling?

Quote:
Why even bother voting if it can be overturned by one biased official?
Do you even think we should be able to deny a minority rights based on majority opinion?

Quote:
Just thought there should be some kind of opposing opinion in here. It was getting sticky from all the treacle.
Not really sure what you mean by that. Maybe more and more people are realising they sound bigoted when they oppose gay rights.



__________________
  #100  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 10:07 pm
agpotter  Male.gif agpotter is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 4982 days
Location: Utah
Age: 37
Posts: 1,556
Re: Gay Marriage

Judge Walker's own sexual preference and well-known activism is what made his decision biased. Again, I ask, what's the point of voting if it is so easily overturned? And "separation of church and state" is something often thrown around, and seldom understood--It wasn't instituted to keep religion out of government, it was instituted to keep government out of religion. You can't take religion out of this country, because it was founded on religious principles. And of course you must realize, even if it's not your thing, that there are a great many who want to get married to someone of the same sex in a church.

There are no right being denied regarding marriage. Obtaining a marriage license and getting married is not a right, it's a privilege, one for which you must meet certain requirements to qualify (such as age and gender), not unlike being able to qualify for a driver's license.

Still think schools aren't being required to teach homosexuality and gay marriage with zero regard for parental rights? See here, here, here, here, here, here... Need I go on? As for churches required to perform gay marriages, that's on the horizon too, not to mention calls for churches to lose their tax-exempt status if they do not conform to social whims and trends. And this is just the tip of the iceberg. So, not, y'know, "false."

I make one statement of opinion and I'm picked apart and called a bigot. Nice to see things haven't changed around here. I'm sorry to have dared challenge popular opinion (at least, that which is popular in this forum--The majority of the American public tends to feel otherwise).



Last edited by agpotter; November 3rd, 2010 at 10:24 pm.
 
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 8:31 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.