Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

The "F" word- are you offended by it?

Old November 4th, 2005, 12:18 am
Fourth Year

The "F" word- are you offended by it?

Hey guys,
Recently, we had this discussion in one of my classes. We hear this word everyday.. or at least I do. So my question is, are you offended by it, even if it's not directed at you? Like if you hear someone say it, do you cringe? (like me) Also, if you're a fan of rap music, you would know there is quite a lot of swearing in it- does that affect you in any way?
A guy in my class said he wasn't particularly offended by it, unless it was directed at him or used to express raw emotion, for instance, anger or frustration. However, if used unnecessarily, it can be offending.
Personally, I think where it was once a swear word, to express some kind of emotion, it's now become completely unnecessary. I mean, I've heard people say hi to each other [using the f word]
Also, in rap music, if they are, indeed, expressing some kind of emotion, they can say the word once- there is no need to repeat it over and over again like they do- it is redundant and completely vulgar. I mean, we get the point that you're mad, now move on..

So what do you guys think? Are you offended by it? Or do you hear it so much that you're now completely unaffected by it?

"If you have to ask, you're not ready to know yet". -The Phonebooth
Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2005, 12:34 am
Fourth Year

well if some one says it directly at me.. I say it right back

but no I am pretty use to this word as I usually say it everyday( not a purpose, it's a terrible habit)

Old November 4th, 2005, 12:40 am
First Year

are you talking about fudgecrammer? (that's for you Jessica!)

Old November 4th, 2005, 12:44 am
Second Year

What "f" word???

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old November 4th, 2005, 12:55 am
Member of the Order

Most of the time I get incensed when I hear it used when there are small children around.

Most of the time I find it is used inappropriately anyway. (I rarely use it myself.)

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old November 4th, 2005, 12:57 am
Mouse

Just wanted to remind everyone that actually saying the f word in this thread will get you warned. Keep it on topic and respectful.

Old November 4th, 2005, 12:58 am
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmawatson777
What "f" word???
An English slang/swear word used to denote sexual intercourse and usually used for...just about anything else.

A very impolite word to use.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

Old November 4th, 2005, 1:03 am
Fourth Year

well it kind of offends me but im used to it.

Old November 4th, 2005, 1:10 am
Sixth Year

It doesn't offend me in any way. I've really been dulled to it. I grew up in a house where my mom used it all the time. While driving, talking about people in general, yelling at our animals, yelling at me.. So it's a word that's worn well in my mind. Me being a general potty-mouth, it's one of those words I seem to use in every-other sentence so long as it's safe to do so. I think people are a bit over-sensitive to the word. I understand how it can be offensive, but I think it's a bit silly the way some people over react to "the f word" or any other curse words. Take it for what it is, I say. You don't have to use that kind of language if you don't want. If someone else is saying it, do your best to ignore it, remove yourself from the situation, or just brush it off.

"CoS is in fact the seventh Horcrux. You've all been tricked by JK.
Harry has to kill this forum in order to be able to finally kill Voldemort.
He should be doing this in about 2 years time."

- Morgoth
Old November 4th, 2005, 1:23 am
Banned

Not at all. I find it a normal part of conversation in informal situations. It's only a word after all, so it's cool, unless it's being directed at me

Old November 4th, 2005, 1:26 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Not at all. I find it a normal part of conversation in informal situations. It's only a word after all, so it's cool, unless it's being directed at me
I agree with the man who has my name ^_^

Old November 4th, 2005, 1:37 am
Third Year

Not really, I hear it so much and I use it myself occasionally.

You are everything I want
Because you are everything I'm not.

As Time Turns - A Ravenclaw Story and Feedback
Old November 4th, 2005, 1:38 am
Seventh Year

I think the topic starter should confirm which word is being spoken of. One IS quite offensive to many people, the other is said every day and means sexual intercourse.

Can you find the frog? Click here for an enlarged image.

“Whether you come back by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.”
― J.K. Rowling

"She boiled her brain."- Karl Pilkington
Old November 4th, 2005, 1:43 am
Fourth Year

No, I hear it all the time so I'm used to it.

Old November 4th, 2005, 1:45 am
Fifth Year

I'm not offended more annoyed. People use it as a verb, noun, adjective, adverb sometimes whole sentences consist of that word. It sounds like they honestly have nothing really to say, which itself is a cliche attitude, but it's ridiculous. I find it offensive when people write it all over the walls of your dorm, along with certain male body parts. Some people wrote it on my door (among others) and I was definitely not amused, no matter how 'funny' they thought it was.

...hmm apparently I'm back
Old November 4th, 2005, 1:49 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixUK
The "f" word refers to f*ck, the other expletive beginning with that letter is generally less offensive (and, if you're in the UK, you can get pork flavoured versions ).
If, by "the other expletive" you mean the gay equivalent to the "n" word, then I would strongly disagree with your assessment. It is an offensive word, and should be socially unacceptable just like the "n" word is today.

Can you find the frog? Click here for an enlarged image.

“Whether you come back by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.”
― J.K. Rowling

"She boiled her brain."- Karl Pilkington
Old November 4th, 2005, 1:51 am
First Year

i swear a lot.. just out of habit. i really dont see what the big deal is at all.

Old November 4th, 2005, 1:57 am
Member of the Order

Just don't use it around children...

Old November 4th, 2005, 2:19 am
Prefect Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbreedlover
If, by "the other expletive" you mean the gay equivalent to the "n" word, then I would strongly disagree with your assessment. It is an offensive word, and should be socially unacceptable just like the "n" word is today.
It's not going to happen, though, at the moment people use "******" as an offensive term rather than an actual description of sexual orientation. While with "n*****" it was actualally used in a racist sense against black people, "******" is rarely used in a homophobic sense against homosexuals.

Homophobia is as bad as racism, as you say, but ****** is primarily a misused, if crude, insult rather than an actual homophobic term.

Old November 4th, 2005, 2:19 am
Third Year

Not offended by it in the slightest, and I use it myself quite often. It's a perfectly legitimate word that expresses certain emotions and attitudes very clearly. I don't understand why some people feel the need to intersperse their speech with it after every second word though, because it lessens the impact and therefore the usefulness. But linguistic history would suggest that when one "shock" word becomes ordinary, we find a new one .

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives