Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

The new Doctor Who v.5 (spoilers for season 8)

Old May 30th, 2010, 10:53 pm
Third Year

Re: The new Doctor Who v.5 (spoilers up to series 4 and specials and now series 5!)

I seem to be in the minority when it comes to last night's episode, based on an accumulation of opinions from all the sites I've visited, but I thought it was pretty terrible overall. The first in an otherwise great season (Daleks notwithstanding).

Only real saving grace was the original idea that this episode grew from, and Karen Gillan's acting toward the end.

EDIT: Just for clarification, I'm not talking about Amy's Choice, which I thought was a brilliant ep.

DH2A member/Malfoy Manor split supporter

"I like a quiet life, you know me."

Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2010, 11:32 pm
MODLY CREW

Re: The new Doctor Who v.5 (spoilers up to series 4 and specials and now series 5!)

No, I agree. It was a pretty terrible episode.

Old May 31st, 2010, 1:07 am
Rocket Scientist

I just started watching the latest season a few weeks back when bbca started airing the new season here. The newest season for me so far has felt very hit or miss, there have been a couple of good episodes and some bad. I really enjoyed the season opener, but then i sort of lost faith in the new doctor. The angels episode was good, and the last episode vampires in venice i enjoyed, but not so sure about this new doctor. I loved david tennant right out of the gate but matt smith is taking a while to find his stride. I am however really enjoying amy pond as a character. She next to rose is probably one of my more favorite assistants.

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Old May 31st, 2010, 2:16 am
Representative Homosexual

I agree. Terrible. I really have to wonder how the finale is going to be, but I don't think I'm going to spoil myself anymore, hehe. XD

Old May 31st, 2010, 9:27 am
MODLY CREW

It took me longer to get used to Ten than Eleven because Tennant had very big shoes to fill. It comes down to personal preference, I think.

Old May 31st, 2010, 4:41 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

The Episode wasn't that bad (Chibnell has written far worse).
My problem with the episode is this -

Spoiler: show
Amy spent far too much time belitting Rory for his death to be effective. That's not Karens fault, more at the door of Moffat. However i guess we shall have to wait and see what happens in the series finale. Real Rory is dead. I fear we will get something similar to Doctor 10.5, cept this time. New Rory will probably sprout out of somebodies memories.

Matt Smith nailed the Doctor's character in the Weeping Angel episodes for me. As i remember it took Tennant quite a while to get into his stride as the
Doctor. Smith is just as good if not better than Tennant. He plays the emotional side of the Doctor on a much more subtle level (like Eccleston), rather than
Tennant's "I'm The Last of the Time Lords" Emo crying stuff. Tennant was a very good Doctor, but he's not the be all and end of all of Doctor Who.
I had a harder time accepting the loss of Rose, but i do think Amy Pond is actually quite awesome. Just a shame she's had some very poor character development
from Moffat and co. That's my one big criticism of the series.

I'm lme. Really lme.
or so says Moriath

Last edited by Kevin; May 31st, 2010 at 4:46 pm.
Old May 31st, 2010, 6:16 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post

Matt Smith nailed the Doctor's character in the Weeping Angel episodes for me. As i remember it took Tennant quite a while to get into his stride as the
Doctor. Smith is just as good if not better than Tennant. He plays the emotional side of the Doctor on a much more subtle level (like Eccleston), rather than
Tennant's "I'm The Last of the Time Lords" Emo crying stuff. Tennant was a very good Doctor, but he's not the be all and end of all of Doctor Who.
I had a harder time accepting the loss of Rose, but i do think Amy Pond is actually quite awesome. Just a shame she's had some very poor character development
from Moffat and co. That's my one big criticism of the series.

I agree Matt Smith's portrayal of the doctor in the weeping angel's episode was his best that ive seen so far, it felt the most doctorish. I guess Ive just liked david tennant's sarcastic, quick thinking nature, and his delivery of the lines. I think sometimes matt smith's character takes too long to get to the conclusion whereas tennant you can actually see the wheels turning so to speak. And no one does the quick crazy rants like david tennant. Although Smith has had a couple of decent ones.
But its all boils down to something i saw in some of the commentary, each actor has a slightly different interpretation of the doctor, and with having david tennant on screen for so many years, Smith is going to take some getting used to. I didnt expect him to come out of the gate and hit the ground running right away, but he's definitely had a decent go at it so far. Smith definitely acts with far more emotion I will give him that. He is the most emotional doctor to date i think.

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Old June 1st, 2010, 11:47 pm
Squee-worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
I agree Matt Smith's portrayal of the doctor in the weeping angel's episode was his best that ive seen so far, it felt the most doctorish. I guess Ive just liked david tennant's sarcastic, quick thinking nature, and his delivery of the lines. I think sometimes matt smith's character takes too long to get to the conclusion whereas tennant you can actually see the wheels turning so to speak. And no one does the quick crazy rants like david tennant. Although Smith has had a couple of decent ones.
But its all boils down to something i saw in some of the commentary, each actor has a slightly different interpretation of the doctor, and with having david tennant on screen for so many years, Smith is going to take some getting used to. I didnt expect him to come out of the gate and hit the ground running right away, but he's definitely had a decent go at it so far. Smith definitely acts with far more emotion I will give him that. He is the most emotional doctor to date i think.
I started watching Doctor Who with Tennant as the Doctor and I still would have to say that I think Smith is a better Doctor than Tennant was. Don't get me wrong, I think Tennant was fantastic, but he grew into quite an odd Doctor, I think. Like many have said before he was very emo, and it got annoying after 3 full seasons. I think the reason I have taken to Smith so much is because Tennant had done all he could with the character, it seemed. I saw little growth with Ten after Rose left, and it just seemed like rehash after rehash of the episodes (which is more than likely not Tennant fault, more like RTD's but still).

Old June 2nd, 2010, 2:30 am
Third Year

From what I've watched so far (the most recent episode I've seen is The Vampires of Venice since I live in the US), I enjoy Matt Smith's portrayal as The Doctor & I really like Amy! I just adore her accent & she's smart as a whip.
My favorite scene so far since the start of series 5 (which I'm sure there will be more great scenes) is in Flesh & Stone when The Doctor tells Amy, who is closing her eyes, he'll be back & the camera focuses on her hands & he comes back & holds her hands & tells her to trust him & to remember, etc. I thought that scene was magnificent.

Kinda random, who's your favorite villain/bad guy from Doctor Who? Mine are the weeping angels but I've only seen the reboot. Also, I read a theory on this thread that series 5 maybe backwards? Pretty nifty theory

Old June 2nd, 2010, 12:30 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

That question is easy to answer. The Master. Each new Doctor is not complete until he's faced off with the Daleks and then the Master.

I'm lme. Really lme.
or so says Moriath
Old June 2nd, 2010, 9:34 pm
Third Year

I forgot to ask but I'm not sure if I can ask it since it's about The End of Time & this thread is version 5. I'm curious, when The Doctor visited Martha & other significants, did they know he was going to regenerate?

Old June 3rd, 2010, 9:49 am
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda86 View Post
I forgot to ask but I'm not sure if I can ask it since it's about The End of Time & this thread is version 5. I'm curious, when The Doctor visited Martha & other significants, did they know he was going to regenerate?
I think Martha, Mickey and Jack knew that he was saying goodbye. Donna had no memory of him and Rose hadn't met him yet. Sarah Jane may have known that something was up but she was probably more occupied with her son not being dead.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 5:29 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I think Sarah Jane knew from the look on the Doctor's face that would be the last time she would see him. She's seen the Doctor regenerate before.

Previews for Vincent and the Doctor are mixed. It's a character driven episode, that does not shy away from depression and suicide. Grown up Who with a silly monster you can barely see.

I'm lme. Really lme.
or so says Moriath
Old June 4th, 2010, 4:24 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Okay seeing from the previews they totally mispronounce Van Gogh

It's not Van Goff.

I guess the gh will always be a problem for English speakers.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old June 4th, 2010, 4:28 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Yeah I noticed that too and was really amused

Old June 4th, 2010, 10:26 pm
Squee-worthy

I just watched Hungry Earth/Cold Blood and actually really liked them, Cold Blood much more than Hungry Earth though. I felt like it was a very unique storyline, which I feel is rare in Doctor Who.

I'm just hoping there is a good solution to Rory's death, I'm not sure how I feel about just getting a different Rory to fill in, I'm hoping the Doctor can somehow rewrite time in Rory's favor. Also, I really don't want another new TARDIS for next season. I love the new TARDIS design, and it would be too much for another whole new design.

Old June 5th, 2010, 3:46 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
Okay seeing from the previews they totally mispronounce Van Gogh

It's not Van Goff.

I guess the gh will always be a problem for English speakers.
I'll be a little bit miffed if they don't make a joke out of that "The TARDIS can translate anyting except names with gh sounds".... or something along those lines.

I'm lme. Really lme.
or so says Moriath
Old June 5th, 2010, 9:55 pm
First Year

Awww the episode 'Vincent and the Doctor' was really good and the ending was nice but also sad! Poor Vincent! The next ep looks odd though but still, it could surprise me!

I'm in GRYFFINDOR!!!......AND I LIKE PIE!
~92% of teens moved on to rap music. If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your sig.~
Old June 5th, 2010, 11:14 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Well Bill Nighy and the little boy did make a good attempt at the name but Matt...

Anyhoo I really loved this episode, it was emotional and Amy was awesome. Also Tony Curran makes one good Vincent! I think I've never been so moved by a Doctor Who episode.

I've read a few reviews who pretty much sink this episode, but I don't really care, I enjoyed it.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer

Last edited by Hes; June 6th, 2010 at 12:32 am.
Old June 6th, 2010, 1:40 am
Third Year

For those lucky people living in Great Britain, there's 2 positions to be a Floor Runner on the set of Doctor Who. You can apply here Floor Runners / Rhedwyr

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television